The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Patek Philippe Discussion Forum

Old 6 May 2018, 01:39 AM   #1
wendypurchase
"TRF" Member

is Patek Philippe style and quality fell off the trend ?

Hi, first time poster, not a troll

I am in the market of a watch for my dad, soon to be 75.
He is a watch enthusiastic but never own a good watch.
I have been looking for a watch to surprise him for a while. My budget is up to 80k cash.

Of course I started with Patek. But the more I study the market,the more I feel Patek is less and less appreciated by new generation? The MSRP is strong and new comers are always hot, but the 2nd market feels very weak.
With so much ads money throwing by Rolex, it looks like rolex has a much stronger 2nd hand market.
Being said, I am considering the resale value.

And I read many posts regarding the quality and services is just not on par with the price anymore. I genuinely afraid of buying a lemon Patek.

Is Patek still worth the premium? or I just grab a Rolex and call it a day?
wendypurchase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 May 2018, 01:50 AM   #2
LPPP
"TRF" Member

i would go for what my dad likes the best!
Cheers
LPPP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 May 2018, 01:50 AM   #3
tyler1980
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wendypurchase View Post
Hi, first time poster, not a troll

I am in the market of a watch for my dad, soon to be 75.
He is a watch enthusiastic but never own a good watch.
I have been looking for a watch to surprise him for a while. My budget is up to 80k cash.

Of course I started with Patek. But the more I study the market,the more I feel Patek is less and less appreciated by new generation? The MSRP is strong and new comers are always hot, but the 2nd market feels very weak.
With so much ads money throwing by Rolex, it looks like rolex has a much stronger 2nd hand market.
Being said, I am considering the resale value.

And I read many posts regarding the quality and services is just not on par with the price anymore. I genuinely afraid of buying a lemon Patek.

Is Patek still worth the premium? or I just grab a Rolex and call it a day?
its a double edged sword. You won't get the hot watches with strong resale value anyway from an AD because they are worth so much more than retail and you would be a first time customer. Same goes for any brand and any watch selling for a premium.

For 80k you do have a ton of options though. Pick the watch he likes the best regardless of resale.
current collection: Patek 5164A, Patek 5524G, Rolex Platinum Daytona 116506, Rolex Sea Dweller 43 126600, Rolex GMT II 116710LN, AP 15400ST (silver), Panerai 913, Omega Speedmaster moonwatch, Tudor Black Bay (Harrods Edition)
tyler1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 May 2018, 02:34 AM   #4
martinr
"TRF" Member

Just give him the 80K that has the best resale. 75 is the next generation hahah.
martinr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 May 2018, 02:58 AM   #5
wendypurchase
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by martinr View Post
Just give ge him the 80K that, has the best resale. 75 is the next generation hahah.
I thought about that actually, he will just save it and give back to me.
Old 6 May 2018, 03:00 AM   #6
wendypurchase
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tyler1980 View Post
its a double edged sword. You won't get the hot watches with strong resale value anyway from an AD because they are worth so much more than retail and you would be a first time customer. Same goes for any brand and any watch selling for a premium.

For 80k you do have a ton of options though. Pick the watch he likes the best regardless of resale.
Thanks for the input, he likes Patek
Old 6 May 2018, 03:11 AM   #7
codecow
"TRF" Member

Watch: PP 5131R
First off, if your dad doesn't know anything about watches it's kind of nuts to get him an 80k watch.

Get him something like a Rolex DD40 in whatever metal suits him. Let him pick out the dial, metal, etc...
codecow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 May 2018, 03:32 AM   #8
Justindo
"TRF" Member

That's a lovely gesture but $80,000 is a lot to spend on a watch for someone who has never had a good watch. I would take your father watch shopping and see what he likes, whether it be a $80 Seiko, an $800 Oris, an $8,000 Rolex, or an $80,000 Lange.
Justindo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 May 2018, 03:33 AM   #9
beshannon
"TRF" Member

Watch: One of Not Many
What does he know about watches? What does he like and own now? What will fit his wrist?

IMHO you are asking the wrong questions.
Vacheron Constantin Traditionnelle Complete Calendar, Glashutte PanoInverse, Glashutte SeaQ Panorama Date, Omega Aqua Terra 150, Omega CK 859, Omega Speedmaster 3861 Moonwatch, Glashutte Senator Exellence, Rolex 116710 GMT Master II BLNR, Breitling Superocean Steelfish, JLC Atmos Transparent
beshannon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 May 2018, 03:44 AM   #10
tyler1980
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justindo View Post
That's a lovely gesture but $80,000 is a lot to spend on a watch for someone who has never had a good watch. I would take your father watch shopping and see what he likes, whether it be a $80 Seiko, an $800 Oris, an $8,000 Rolex, or an $80,000 Lange.
datograph... do it

seriously though, have him try it on. Its an amazing watch. Resale isnt strong but IMO its worth the asking price.
current collection: Patek 5164A, Patek 5524G, Rolex Platinum Daytona 116506, Rolex Sea Dweller 43 126600, Rolex GMT II 116710LN, AP 15400ST (silver), Panerai 913, Omega Speedmaster moonwatch, Tudor Black Bay (Harrods Edition)
Old 6 May 2018, 03:45 AM   #11
galtinuk
"TRF" Member

First, with respect, I am not sure your analysis of the market is really the whole story.

Some Rolex as well as Pateks are weak and strong in the secondary market.

But to say Patek is weak really depends what watch you are looking at.

Are Patek 5711 in Steel not trading about 100% more than they were in 2015? Is that not strong?

Re the young generation, doe that matter if your dad is not in the young generation?

Finally, some really great "old school" Pateks are trading at quite good prices on the secondary market. I would venture that some of those may especially appeal to the older generation. 5170 is a fantastic watch IMHO.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk
galtinuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 May 2018, 03:46 AM   #12
galtinuk
"TRF" Member

Quote:
datograph... do it

seriously though, have him try it on. Its an amazing watch. Resale isnt strong but IMO its worth the asking price.
Lange quality is fantastic and the Chrinograph case back view is as good as it gets!

Old 6 May 2018, 03:48 AM   #13
tyler1980
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by galtinuk View Post
Lange quality is fantastic and the Chrinograph case back view is as good as it gets!

plus its a little larger than a comparable Patek. I assume legibility might be an issue at 75.

Big date, black dial.
Old 6 May 2018, 03:52 AM   #14
galtinuk
"TRF" Member

Quote:
plus its a little larger than a comparable Patek. I assume legibility might be an issue at 75.

Big date, black dial.
Or the 1815 Chrinographbwith type two dial with Arabic numerals. Super super clear dial, and the view of the movement is identical to the dato.

Old 6 May 2018, 04:02 AM   #15
Russell996
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:

Big date, black dial.
Zeitwerk - doesn’t get easier to see!
Russell996 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 May 2018, 04:06 AM   #16
jon_jon
"TRF" Member

My advice is to ask your father what he wants and go shopping together with him. The shopping experience may bring greater joy to your father than the final watch purchased.
jon_jon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 May 2018, 04:11 AM   #17
dmash
"TRF" Member

Quote:
datograph... do it

I saw it finally in person a bit back.

Perhaps I’m just overly OCD but I can’t stand the blued sub dial hands with the red ab/auf. Im all about monochrome with MAYBE one other color, I couldn’t do the red + blue though. They do the same thing with the 1815 up/down. Not like it’s some ‘German’ thing either, as otherwise I’d know. I guess Lange just likes doing that.

*Not that I could afford it right now anyways, lol
dmash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 May 2018, 04:28 AM   #18
tyler1980
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russell996 View Post
Zeitwerk - doesn’t get easier to see!
that one is awesome too. I didn't get it until i had it on my wrist. It tends to look very strange in pics. On your wrist it just works.
Old 6 May 2018, 04:32 AM   #19
Bt122
Banned

Watch: Ok...Watching
OP, everyone knows what a Rolex is. I’d get your pops a yellow gold daydate Rolex with diamond indicies

All his old buddies be like ...it’s a Rolex
Bt122 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 May 2018, 04:53 AM   #20
wendypurchase
"TRF" Member

He reads a lot about watches, and I know for sure either AP PP VC or Rolex will make him happy.
My parents have money in the bank, but they just want to save and pass down/ for me or my kids. ( We are Asian btw, I assume it's obvious now)

I am nowhere near rich but we do have enough to take care of ourselves.
I don't want to spoil the excitement by just ask him what he wants and I know for sure he will stop me from doing it.

The irony is, my husband has never owned a luxury watch, but by helping me doing research, he now wants a Patek 5119G
Old 6 May 2018, 05:13 AM   #21
joli160
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: Yachtmaster
Quote:
Originally Posted by jon_jon View Post
My advice is to ask your father what he wants and go shopping together with him. The shopping experience may bring greater joy to your father than the final watch purchased.
Only this
Old 6 May 2018, 06:21 AM   #22
dannyp
Banned

Quote:

Big date, black dial.
Concerns over secondary market value retention?
Concerns over legibility?
Budget up to $80k?

How is that not a recipe for a 5522??
dannyp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 May 2018, 06:25 AM   #23
Wahlberg
"TRF" Member

Quote:
So how did you come up with the 80k number, just feels so strange to be honest? Coming out of nowhere.

Just let him choose something that he likes and fits his lifestyle without looking at prices. If it ends up being a 50k watch so be it, if it is a 5k watch no problem.

And as you mentioned give your husband something as well.
Wahlberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 May 2018, 06:27 AM   #24
Bt122
Banned

Quote:
He reads a lot about watches, and I know for sure either AP PP VC or Rolex will make him happy.
My parents have money in the bank, but they just want to save and pass down/ for me or my kids. ( We are Asian btw, I assume it's obvious now)

I don't want to spoil the excitement by just ask him what he wants and I know for sure he will stop me from doing it.

The irony is, my husband has never owned a luxury watch, but by helping me doing research, he now wants a Patek 5119G

I’m working to pass on my money to my kid. I hope she buys me a watch after she gets all my watches lol.

Seriously... if your pops is older generation Asian. 100% get a Rolex make sure it’s gold either a president bracelet or a jubilee.

https://www.rolexforums.com/showthread.php?t=23328
Old 6 May 2018, 06:31 AM   #25
kingofthehill
"TRF" Member

Whilst there are several additional considerations to be taken into account on which your posts to date do not provide us with information on, I would like to suggest that you consider the 5227 and a personal engraving on the inside of the opening case. This is I believe an emotion-driven gift and I believe that a classic piece of this nature with a personal message will (I hope) hold a special value for your father for many years to come.

Whilst resale may not be fantastic and indeed further dented by the personal engraving, the value of this piece will survive generations and it can also be said that the easiest way not to lose a large dollar sum on a timepiece is not to spend a large dollar sum on one, with the 5227 being markedly less than USD 80,000.
kingofthehill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 May 2018, 06:32 AM   #26
dannyp
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bt122 View Post
I’m working to pass on my money to my kid. I hope she buys me a watch after she gets all my watches lol.

Seriously... if your pops is older generation Asian. 100% get a Rolex make sure it’s gold either a president bracelet or a jubilee.
Not sure whether being Asian figures into that equation, but the one thing I will say for someone in his generation is that you'd most likely want to go with 36mm if going with a Rolex DD. More familiar style, and what they're used to when seeing "Rolex."
dannyp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 May 2018, 06:36 AM   #27
Bearxj86
"TRF" Member

Watch: 3970
5227 is nice, I also like the 5153R - you can engrave it too.

I guess I am biased cos I am selling one lol : )
Bearxj86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 May 2018, 06:40 AM   #28
Bt122
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by dannyp View Post
Not sure whether being Asian figures into that equation, but the one thing I will say for someone in his generation is that you'd most likely want to go with 36mm if going with a Rolex DD. More familiar style, and what they're used to when seeing "Rolex."

The average Asian love rolex’s + they love yellow gold. Not rose gold not white gold. I don’t want to generalize but I’m going to generalize.
Old 6 May 2018, 06:41 AM   #29
Bearxj86
"TRF" Member

Watch: 3970
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bt122 View Post

https://www.rolexforums.com/showthread.php?t=23328
I wonder if the 44mm Royal Oak Offshore Rose Gold "Brick" will overtake the 36mm president. Talk about a hunk of gold! :D
Bearxj86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 May 2018, 06:49 AM   #30
EdwardC
2024 Pledge Member

I had the same goal before. And at last I bought my dad a white gold 5227. That's a classy watch that will last generations and will save a lot from your budget. It's simple enough that my dad really likes it.
EdwardC is offline   Reply With Quote