The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Old 19 July 2018, 07:24 PM   #1
kbj
"TRF" Member

First post and incoming.

Hello everyone!

This is my first post so a short introduction about me. I just turned 40 and live in Finland. I have been interested about watches from the age of 11 when I first saw my uncle wearing a beat up Rolex GMT Master I Pepsi. So fast forward 15 years, I was able to buy my first Rolex from AD, a GMT Master II Coke when I was 26.

I had that one watch for many years and then traded it for a ceramic GMT from a grey dealer. Then I went to the dark side of the force for a couple of years and had many different watches, usually just one or two trading up or between different models. Good thing about that time is that I got to try different models from different brands and my taste for watches evolved and I understood what I want from a watch. I also understood that to enjoy a watch you have to do some (or a lot of) research and then just have the watch and wear it. I have never been a flipper for quick profits and don’t like that aspect of our hobby, but understand why some people do it.

After being in the dark side of the force ie. always wanting something new and trading up and changing watches with the greys, I wanted to start from a clean slate and went back to the same AD I had bought my first Rolex from. I had visited them couple of times every year and even bought two Omegas and a Mont Blanc pen from them during the years. Whenever I visited them, we always had great conversations about watches and generally had good time. So then once I said to my AD, that I’m ready to buy watches from you again after many years.

So he took my name down for a black ceramic Rolex Daytona and was honest about that he is going to take care of his VIPs first. I said fair enough and started waiting. I visited him from time to time, but didn’t bother him about the waiting list and just talked about watches and had good time. I have also learned to be patient as I get older.

So then the call came and I got to pick up my Daytona and my AD was happy that he was able to sell it to me and I was really happy to get it. Let me just tell you, the ceramic Daytona is an amazing watch and favorite of my wife’s as well.

So what next he asks and I say what about a blue Sky Dweller. So back to the waiting list I go. Then the call came and I got to buy it as well. I have small wrist, about 6,3 inches and Sky Dweller is a big, heavy watch. So when I was buying it, I said to him that there is a risk I might have to let it go if it is just too big and knowing that, I understand if you want to sell to the next one on the waiting list. He thanked me for my honesty and said he would still like to sell it to me, but knowing what I said, he would not give me any discount. Fair enough I told him and bought the watch.

I have had it now for 6 months and I am still undecided about the size for me, but it wears really comfortably and in other aspects, it is a really good watch.

He took my name down for Pepsi as well and again said he’s going to take care of VIPs first and then it’s my turn. So I expect maybe one or two years of waiting, but no worries. I know I’m going to receive it sooner or later. What’s great about my AD is as well, that they don’t require any bundles or anything like that.

So for the diver in my modest collection, I went for not the obvious one, but wanted something different. I saw the Blancpain Fifty Fathoms Mil-Spec when I visited their boutique in London and absolutely loved that watch. They were all sold out in the boutique of course, so when I got home, I visited the AD for Blancpain. I had never bought anything from them before , but I have visited them many, many times and talked about watches with the owner who is a watch enthusiast. So long story short, he let me buy the one and only watch which was allocated to Finland. He said he prefers somebody to use it and wear it rather than someone having it but not use it.

I love that watch, it is the perfect size for me. Really comfortable, accurate with generous lume and history behind the model.

So why am I writing to the Patek Philippe forum? I have always wanted to buy a Patek from AD. I knew of the brand already when I was buying my first watch, but I just didn’t have the money to buy one then. We also don’t have AD for Patek in Finland so it’s very hard to even get on a waiting list in other countries.

So when Zippy+ had his thread “Patek 5990 anyone” I sent him pm straight a way, but did not get a reply. No worries mate, I wouldn’t reply to a guy with zero posts myself. But that is one of the reasons I’m writing my first post now as I have only been a silent member reading other people’s posts for three years.

So there might be a Patek Philippe 5990 Travel Time Chronograph available in the UK I thought. The very same model I have been trying to buy with no success for a long time. So I started to do some detective work to figure out where it is and phoned couple ADs with no luck. I had great conversations with various ADs about watches in general, but the answer was always the same. Long waiting list, have you bought from us before and we take care of locals first. Every conversation were still really nice and they wished me luck for my search. Then I decided this will be my last call and started the phone call again and inquired about a Patek 5990. The AD said, “yes we have it” and I said “would you be so kind to sell it to me” and he said “yes, of course.”

I was literally shaking for being so happy and we agreed I would wire transfer the money and I fly to UK to pick it up later on. So over a week later I flew to UK and received the watch. What a great experience and road trip it was. I’m just so happy and thank you Zippy+ for the heads up and sorry for others as they told me they had gotten several inquiries after me.

So this post ended up being quite long. Thanks for reading and I try to send some photos later as now I get error message when I’m trying to send them.

Best regards,
Kimi

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
kbj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 July 2018, 09:17 PM   #2
AK797
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing ships roll in
Think you need 10 posts to put up pics, so you could divide this bio above into 10 posts.
AK797 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 July 2018, 09:20 PM   #3
kbj
"TRF" Member

Well, I have to write some more posts. You are right, my first post was a long one. Just so happy to finally receive a Patek.

Old 19 July 2018, 09:22 PM   #4
Ichiran
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Mostly blue dials
Great first post and huge congrats for all your acquisitions, esp the 5990 since we are in the PP forum!

Nice work Zippy for the lead!
Ichiran is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 19 July 2018, 09:24 PM   #5
brandrea
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: es make me smile
Welcome to the forum. Look forward to seeing your pictures
brandrea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 July 2018, 09:25 PM   #6
kbj
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ichiran View Post
Great first post and huge congrats for all your acquisitions, esp the 5990 since we are in the PP forum!

Nice work Zippy for the lead!

Thank you. They are all nice watches and the 5990 is just a beauty.

Old 19 July 2018, 09:46 PM   #7
tyler1980
"TRF" Member

welcome. The 5990 is an amazing watch.
current collection: Patek 5164A, Patek 5524G, Rolex Platinum Daytona 116506, Rolex Sea Dweller 43 126600, Rolex GMT II 116710LN, AP 15400ST (silver), Panerai 913, Omega Speedmaster moonwatch, Tudor Black Bay (Harrods Edition)
tyler1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 July 2018, 09:49 PM   #8
kbj
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tyler1980 View Post
welcome. The 5990 is an amazing watch.

Thank you. It sure is amazing. It was great visiting UK as well.

Old 19 July 2018, 10:36 PM   #9
FinWatch
"TRF" Member

Tervetuloa! Mukavaa kun täällä on muitakin suomalaisia!
(Some Finnish!)
Welcome and congrats:
Which is your ad in Finland?
All the best, enjoy!

FinWatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 July 2018, 10:47 PM   #10
tng11
"TRF" Member

Congratulations and welcome!

I am happy that it seems the 5990/1A Zippy+ referred to ended up going to a good home, and not in the hands of someone who would flip it to the closest Watchfinder!

Looking forward to seeing the pics!
tng11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 July 2018, 11:00 PM   #11
benlee
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex, AP, PP
Congrats and welcome. Look forward to the pics.
Old 19 July 2018, 11:09 PM   #12
kbj
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tng11 View Post
Congratulations and welcome!

I am happy that it seems the 5990/1A Zippy+ referred to ended up going to a good home, and not in the hands of someone who would flip it to the closest Watchfinder!

Looking forward to seeing the pics!

Thank you. The 5990 found a good home here in the outskirts of Europe and it’s going to be loved and used.

Only hiccup was that the instructions manual in the box was for Aquanaut Travel Time and for its caliber, so hopefully they will send me the correct one.

Old 19 July 2018, 11:11 PM   #13
kbj
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by benlee View Post
Congrats and welcome. Look forward to the pics.

Thanks. Pics are coming when I’m allowed to send them. My pics are not that good though. I’m amazed how you guys can take such good pictures of your watches.

Old 19 July 2018, 11:33 PM   #14
Sam Philip
Banned

5990 is a great piece, congrats!
Sam Philip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 July 2018, 11:49 PM   #15
GB-man
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: addiction issues
Congratulations
Old 19 July 2018, 11:53 PM   #16
ap1
2024 Pledge Member

Post up, let’s c it. Enjoy
ap1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 July 2018, 11:58 PM   #17
Zippy+
"TRF" Member

That’s fantastic as you can understand I did reply to several people about the listing and apologised to those I did not,glad it worked out for you ,let’s see the pics..
Zippy+ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 July 2018, 01:00 AM   #18
kbj
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zippy+ View Post
That’s fantastic as you can understand I did reply to several people about the listing and apologised to those I did not,glad it worked out for you ,let’s see the pics..

It made buying even more fun for me when I got to do some work myself and play detective.

Without your thread, I would not have been able to buy it. So thank you! I was on a waiting list for the 5990 in Germany but it looked quite grim as I’m not local and would have been a new customer. So I informed them in Germany to take my name off the list and hopefully someone else there gets one sooner.

Old 20 July 2018, 01:07 AM   #19
uniqueMR
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: P A T E K
Welcome. Nice post :)
Old 20 July 2018, 01:11 AM   #20
Bearxj86
"TRF" Member

Watch: 3970
This is truly the type of collector that PP would like to sell a Nautilus too. Congratulations!
Bearxj86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 July 2018, 01:31 AM   #21
OP15
"TRF" Member

Congrats and welcome! Get to writing some “individual” thank yous and then post some pics!
OP15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 July 2018, 01:39 AM   #22
Superburrito
"TRF" Member

Watch: 26420RO
Score! Huge congrats, and welcome!
Old 20 July 2018, 02:16 AM   #23
CoveWatch
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex & AP
Congratulations! 5990 looks amazing!
CoveWatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 July 2018, 04:32 AM   #24
verse214
"TRF" Member

Congrats
verse214 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 July 2018, 04:47 AM   #25
kitsgq
"TRF" Member

Amazing story. Congrats on the purchase. It's a beauty!

Sent from my SM-N920W8 using Tapatalk
kitsgq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 July 2018, 01:21 PM   #26
SL BRABUS
"TRF" Member

Watch: Only Rolex & Patek
Congratulations...

"SL BRABUS" aka BenzWorld Undercover Moderator
SL BRABUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 July 2018, 01:47 PM   #27
nyc2la
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16660
Welcome and congrats!!
Old 20 July 2018, 05:51 PM   #28
Sonzy
"TRF" Member

Watch: PP/Breguet/IWC/Rlx
Congratulations and welcome to the club.

Waiting for some wrist pics
Rolex: GMT Master II Batman.
Sonzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 July 2018, 06:06 PM   #29
Sonzy
"TRF" Member

Watch: PP/Breguet/IWC/Rlx
By the way I like very much your first post.
Rolex: GMT Master II Batman.
Sonzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 July 2018, 06:13 PM   #30
kbj
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonzy View Post
By the way I like very much your first post.

Thank you very much.

Pics are hopefully coming soon.