The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex WatchTech

Old 9 July 2019, 02:39 AM   #31
Bigblu10
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by N5XTC View Post
i don't mind. i am already at risk of getting labeled on the forums for my latest posts, so no matter how i answer, to those so inclined it will become "i figured as much!" truth is i am in my 50's. not young, not old. just right.
I took you to be a "youngster". Obviously not a "newb" to the watch game.
52 here and on Rolex watch #6 over the last 30 or so years.
Bigblu10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 July 2019, 02:44 AM   #32
N5XTC
"TRF" Member

Watch: 2008 Submariner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigblu10 View Post
I took you to be a "youngster". Obviously not a "newb" to the watch game.
52 here and on Rolex watch #6 over the last 30 or so years.
thanks. you made my day. i'll take that as a compliment. no hurry to be taken as an "old guy."

"A man with one watch knows what time it is while a man with two is never sure."
N5XTC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 July 2019, 03:32 AM   #33
SearChart
TechXpert

Quote:
it varies by the watch. i experiment with my diff watches and fig out what works and how much for each. that irritates some folks and they claim u dont enjoy the watch bec they impose their own subjective definition of what constitutes enjoyment. for me, the technical part is enjoyment.
Your question is not the thing that irritates people, it is the excessive use of caps lock and then calling people's replies unintelligent.

Now I get that it frustrates you that your watch was both not running within spec and it was inconsistent, but sometimes it is very hard to find an explanation for it, it could literally be a plethora of things. (dirt, lubrication, magnitism, hairspring not in perfect shape, balance end-shake, etc, etc.)

As a watchmaker I would personally just like to see the movement, check it on a witschi and see the accuracy over a few days in various positions both fully wound and after 24hrs. And even then if everything looks fine it would be hard to come up with an explanation...
If it is now running consistent, but fast, have it regulated to +2ish.
SearChart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 July 2019, 03:42 AM   #34
N5XTC
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SearChart View Post
Your question is not the thing that irritates people, it is the excessive use of caps lock and then calling people's replies unintelligent.

Now I get that it frustrates you that your watch was both not running within spec and it was inconsistent, but sometimes it is very hard to find an explanation for it, it could literally be a plethora of things. (dirt, lubrication, magnitism, hairspring not in perfect shape, balance end-shake, etc, etc.)

As a watchmaker I would personally just like to see the movement, check it on a witschi and see the accuracy over a few days in various positions both fully wound and after 24hrs. And even then if everything looks fine it would be hard to come up with an explanation...
If it is now running consistent, but fast, have it regulated to +2ish.
i explained my use of cap locks in the prev email. academia they are used to accent or accentuate. once i was told about this, i STOPPED (ooops).

anyway, i appreciate your feedback as a watchmaker. this is useful. i can live with +7. not a big deal, it was more about consistency and it is now very consistent at +7. like i said, i zero in the watch once per week anyway. so, does not really alter what i do. just pop the crown and wait. not a big deal.

again, thanks for the watchmaker feedback, that is the type of information i was seeking.

"A man with one watch knows what time it is while a man with two is never sure."
Old 9 July 2019, 06:43 AM   #35
fsprow
"TRF" Member

Watch: Patek 5168, 5170P
Quote:
i don't mind. i am already at risk of getting labeled on the forums for my latest posts, so no matter how i answer, to those so inclined it will become "i figured as much!" truth is i am in my 50's. not young, not old. just right.
Or as a young lady told me a long time ago:

"I'm old enough to know better, but too young to resist"
fsprow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 July 2019, 11:16 AM   #36
N5XTC
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fsprow View Post
Or as a young lady told me a long time ago:

"I'm old enough to know better, but too young to resist"
i have never been able to resist a beautiful woman. hopefully i never will.

Old 10 July 2019, 01:44 AM   #37
Vanessa CW21
TechXpert & 2016 Patron

Quote:
it had been serviced sept 2008, i bought it june 2009, so it prob set a year.
Sept 2008?? It's way overdue for a service again, not just a regulation.

Watch my Rolex repair video: https://youtu.be/jDnaotCTpTA
Vanessa CW21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 July 2019, 02:35 AM   #38
ZOOK
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vanessa CW21 View Post

Hi Vanessa. Nice to see you at TRF again.
ZOOK is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10 July 2019, 11:03 AM   #39
N5XTC
"TRF" Member

Quote:
the watch was serviced in sept 2018 so less than a year before i purchased it. but, it sat not running all that time.

the watch has since leveled out to +7 so i am happy with that.

i watched your rolex service video. sooooooo interesting!!!!!

Old 10 July 2019, 12:33 PM   #40
Vanessa CW21
TechXpert & 2016 Patron

Quote:
the watch was serviced in sept 2018 so less than a year before i purchased it. but, it sat not running all that time.

the watch has since leveled out to +7 so i am happy with that.

i watched your rolex service video. sooooooo interesting!!!!!
Ahh ok, you said 2008 at first and I was shocked nobody pointed out that the service was overdue

+7 seconds is really easy to regulate. If it bugs you that much, just get it done. If a reputable watchmaker does it, you should be fine. Just know that regulations don't come with a warranty!

Old 10 July 2019, 07:42 PM   #41
N5XTC
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Ahh ok, you said 2008 at first and I was shocked nobody pointed out that the service was overdue

+7 seconds is really easy to regulate. If it bugs you that much, just get it done. If a reputable watchmaker does it, you should be fine. Just know that regulations don't come with a warranty!
I think i said it is a 2008 sub, but i can't remember for sure, so you may be right. that would be 11 years and yes, well overdue.

my understanding is that if a watch starts losing or gaining time from what it had been doing that this is an indicator of time for a service (unless it had been magnetized somehow). they checked mine at the AD and not magnetized. she is steady now at +7, so i am happy with that.

thanks again for the reply

Old 11 July 2019, 12:21 PM   #42
Bigblu10
Banned

Quote:
I am a 1966 vintage. Running for 52 years without a service. I think I am way overdue!
In all seriousness, how has your recovery from your surgery been? Are you back to 100%?
Hope all is well! Cheers
Bigblu10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 July 2019, 02:03 PM   #43
Vanessa CW21
TechXpert & 2016 Patron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigblu10 View Post
I am a 1966 vintage. Running for 52 years without a service. I think I am way overdue!
In all seriousness, how has your recovery from your surgery been? Are you back to 100%?
Hope all is well! Cheers
Thanks, Jaime.
The recovery is ongoing and tough, but I'm much better than a while back. Thanks for checking!

Old 13 July 2019, 12:35 PM   #44
N5XTC
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Thanks, Jaime.
The recovery is ongoing and tough, but I'm much better than a while back. Thanks for checking!
thanks for taking the time to respond to the post. hope your recovery continues to go well.

Tags
ad regulation , regulating submarine , regulation , submariner 16610