The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 22 July 2019, 05:10 AM   #301
jimcameron
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16800
Tudor= Oris, B&M, Ball, etc., but overpriced.
jimcameron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 July 2019, 07:10 AM   #302
APPRF
"TRF" Member

Notice no Tudor. mind you I don’t agree with some of what’s written, but it should give the general idea.
APPRF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 July 2019, 08:04 AM   #303
forcinitijp
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 14060M/214270
Quote:
Originally Posted by Art 1 View Post
I was thinking the same. Some of the responses are as well.
agree 100%

I don't know what they want to compare ... or do you like it or not ... the rest is subjective.

forcinitijp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 July 2019, 12:26 PM   #304
OliverJJ
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by OliverJJ View Post
Yeah - when I get a chance I'll probably bring it in and ask for it to be regulated. I hope I do not get fobbed off with 'within spec'.
Dropped it into the Sydney OB. They tested and said out of spec and will be regulated. Will see how it goes.
OliverJJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 September 2019, 09:00 AM   #305
pmichaelmd
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by APPRF View Post

Notice no Tudor. mind you I don’t agree with some of what’s written, but it should give the general idea.
I don't think I can agree with that. I would place Omega and Breitling on the same tier, perhaps a sliver behind Rolex due to brand recognition and the esteem in which Rolex is held, and Tudor a notch below those two.

I have only been collecting/buying/trading watches since 1997, but I would guess that the average Joe would think along these lines:

Casio<Citizen<Seiko<Tag Heuer<Rolex and that is about it.

I think we do well to add inflection points for those in the general population. Of course, these are simply a matter of opinion and aren't all-inclusive.

Casio/Timex<Citizen<Seiko<Movado/Rado/<Tag/Longines<Chopard/"jewelry brands"<Tudor/Grand Seiko<Cartier<Breitling/Omega/Panerai<Rolex/JLC/IWC/UN<Breguet<A. Lange/PP/AP/VC/RM

In the end, I simply buy and wear what moves me and care less about the perception of others. This extends to cars and other items as well.

Cheers!

PMMD
pmichaelmd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 September 2019, 09:39 AM   #306
BigBoy17
"TRF" Member

Love my bb bronze.
BigBoy17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 September 2019, 09:57 AM   #307
58junior
"TRF" Member

Try a Tudor Black Bay 41. Very much a Rolex Vibe and Feel on the wrist. Like a sub or Explorer Perfect size, weight, height and price point, and keeps excellent time.
Nothing not to like. Put one on, you will buy it.
58junior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 September 2019, 10:54 AM   #308
Gary Busey
"TRF" Member

Watch: Tudor Black Bay
Quote:
No comparison. Omega > Tudor
Tudor may be compared to Longines, and even then it will struggle. Longines has the bigger name and history for sure.
Doxa Sub 200, SKX009
Aquastar Deepstar
Gary Busey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 September 2019, 01:02 PM   #309
JR16
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 58junior View Post
Try a Tudor Black Bay 41. Very much a Rolex Vibe and Feel on the wrist. Like a sub or Explorer Perfect size, weight, height and price point, and keeps excellent time.

Nothing not to like. Put one on, you will buy it.

I completely disagree and own all 3 of these . BB feels nothing like a Rolex nor like a sub nor Explorer. The bb41 is thick/tall, larger and the quality differences are evident. With that said, the BB is a great watch at s good price.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
JR16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 September 2019, 01:44 PM   #310
Syed117
"TRF" Member

There is a bigger gap between Tudor and Omega than there between Omega and Rolex.
Old 3 September 2019, 02:04 PM   #311
Rodrigo082
"TRF" Member

No way - Omega is way above Tudor - actually Omega is very close to Rolex (only marketing and brad recognition as a gap)
Rodrigo082 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 September 2019, 03:03 PM   #312
watchmavan
"TRF" Member

Watch: Polar 16570
Tudor as a brand is a long way off Omega. Tudor trade on the Black Bay and that's it whereas Omega have a Bay selection of current and vintage pieces.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
watchmavan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 September 2019, 07:32 PM   #313
SkyJuice
"TRF" Member

Tudor has definitely stepped up the game for the past few years. Check out the black bay (especially bb58) reviews.
SkyJuice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 September 2019, 07:43 PM   #314
Rolex Essex
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytona, DJ & Sub
Quote:

Who on earth done this hierarchy?
Rolex on the same level as RM and Hublot!
Hublot holds value very well lol!
Rolex Essex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 September 2019, 07:53 PM   #315
AK797
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing ships roll in
The prices of Rolex, Omega and Tudor reflect what they offer.
AK797 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 September 2019, 08:17 PM   #316
Watchdaytona
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyJuice View Post
Tudor has definitely stepped up the game for the past few years. Check out the black bay (especially bb58) reviews.
IMO the Tudor watches of the 70's 80's 90's and early 2000's are superior to the watches they've released in recent years by a long way. Just take a look at the 79160, 79260, 9411, 7149, 7159. If they released these watches I think they would be massive sellers, many thought they moved away from those styles as they were eating in to Rolex sales.
Watchdaytona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 September 2019, 12:07 AM   #317
nuts070
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodrigo082 View Post
No way - Omega is way above Tudor - actually Omega is very close to Rolex (only marketing and brad recognition as a gap)
Agree, in some respects, Omega is better.
nuts070 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 September 2019, 12:22 AM   #318
Jona
Banned

Watch: 116618LN
I disagree with that hierarchy as it appears based upon what holds value rather than horological merits.
Jona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 September 2019, 12:50 AM   #319
michaelodonnell123
Banned

Watch: Panerai 112
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fencer View Post
I never understood the idea of Tudor, but Omega is an extremely strong company with some exceptional product. I would go for Omega.
Read this and then you will understand: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tudor_Watches
michaelodonnell123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 September 2019, 12:55 AM   #320
bigfatpauli
"TRF" Member

Quote:

This chart is a trainwreck of not understanding brand hierarchy, value or finishing. The criteria is uses to "rank" brands is subjective, and even in it's subjectivity it is wrong.

"Holds value well" ... Lists UN and Hublot

"Doesn't hold value" ... Lists Paneri

"Don't hold value well but make excellent watches to have in your collection" ... Well, if you are going to use completely objecting raking like that....

I could on and on....
bigfatpauli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 September 2019, 01:11 AM   #321
mgsooner
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimcameron View Post
Tudor= Oris, B&M, Ball, etc., but overpriced.
Thanks, I needed a laugh this AM.
mgsooner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 September 2019, 01:19 AM   #322
mfm22
"TRF" Member

Watch: Explorer 1
resurrected thread from almost a year ago ... why not play along

the OP wanted a "Beach watch" - assuming his intention was to wear in sand & surf -
I agree that Seiko is The beach watch !!

Regarding which is better Omega vs Tudor well the one you wear , that would be the better watch for you -

My Opinion is that Omega has a better fit & finish overall , better / more evolved movements - Overpriced - Yes . But this is where I make choices - Buy the Omega at steep discounts or lightly pre owned and you have a great value
Speedy 's & Seamaster's are no doubt Iconic and very solid references

Tudor is a nice company on it's own apart from Rolex [ although they are attached at the hip } .. The few I have owned were a good value even at retail . BB eta , day date ,
BB58 all have a proper sense of quality .. I'm a sucker for the Snow flake hands & the simple matter of fact dials - easy to read [ isn't that the point - telling time .
The BB Blue would be my Favorite watch if not for the case size

Irony here is I choose to put on my Seamaster today after letting it sit in box for months - then saw the thread -

Yes - Seiko for the beach .
Tudor , Omega & Rolex for Diving [ Ocean or Desk ]
mfm22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 September 2019, 01:20 AM   #323
Mystro
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jona View Post
I disagree with that hierarchy as it appears based upon what holds value rather than horological merits.
Absolutely. I like/own Rolex but anyone that actually thinks a $8900 SS MSRP watch with a old movement is worth $16k is certainly not a evaluating a watch on its technical innovations. The inmates are now running the sanitarium.
Mystro is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 4 September 2019, 01:29 AM   #324
J7son
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex 114060
My only experience is with my Speedmaster and a Pelagos I used to own. The Speedmaster is amazing quality and value - much more in my opinion than the Tudor was. I sold the Tudor due to the case size being too tall - I common theme with Tudor dive watches.
J7son is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 September 2019, 02:02 AM   #325
Manu77
"TRF" Member

ofcourse not.
Manu77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 September 2019, 03:07 AM   #326
mgd55
"TRF" Member

Watch: 214270 16570
I had a Tudor Black Bay 79230. I sold it after wearing it for over a year...in general I really loved the look and it kept great time but I couldn’t get over the case height.

I currently have a Speedy Pro. Nothing about the Speedy is better than the Tudor aside from the way it wears on my wrist (and arguably the appearance but that’s subjective), and with the Speedy on a NATO it loses to the Tudor even then.

I’ve tried on quite a few offerings from both and overall I like more models from Tudor than Omega. Both offer quality and good value and plenty of strong options but I was far more excited to put on the Black Bay every day compared with the Speedy and I think that would be the case pretty much across the board...I’ve never felt any kind of real excitement trying on an Omega...it’s more a feeling of “this is a nice watch” but you know it’s nothing special because that’s really the only thought.

For people trying to compare either of them to Rolex (modern/current offerings)...they’re not equal and depending on wants and needs etc something from any of them may better suit you than the other, e.g. Pelagos vs Sub if you prefer a tool to jewelry or Speedy vs Daytona if you want legibility and to be able to buy it today while spending less than retail. But overall I’d argue Rolex consistently and convincingly wins on finishing and materials and build quality and in many cases design to the point that it’s a little silly to even have the conversation.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
mgd55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 September 2019, 04:56 AM   #327
todd.hepburn
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgd55 View Post
I had a Tudor Black Bay 79230. I sold it after wearing it for over a year...in general I really loved the look and it kept great time but I couldn’t get over the case height.

I currently have a Speedy Pro. Nothing about the Speedy is better than the Tudor aside from the way it wears on my wrist (and arguably the appearance but that’s subjective), and with the Speedy on a NATO it loses to the Tudor even then.

I’ve tried on quite a few offerings from both and overall I like more models from Tudor than Omega. Both offer quality and good value and plenty of strong options but I was far more excited to put on the Black Bay every day compared with the Speedy and I think that would be the case pretty much across the board...I’ve never felt any kind of real excitement trying on an Omega...it’s more a feeling of “this is a nice watch” but you know it’s nothing special because that’s really the only thought.

For people trying to compare either of them to Rolex (modern/current offerings)...they’re not equal and depending on wants and needs etc something from any of them may better suit you than the other, e.g. Pelagos vs Sub if you prefer a tool to jewelry or Speedy vs Daytona if you want legibility and to be able to buy it today while spending less than retail. But overall I’d argue Rolex consistently and convincingly wins on finishing and materials and build quality and in many cases design to the point that it’s a little silly to even have the conversation.

I agree. Having owned a 2017 Speedy, and a couple of Black Bays, there is nothing I could point to as better than the Tudor. The bracelet and clasp on the Omega were inferior, and the accuracy was very poor, even after service, which was also much poorer than the Tudor service. Perhaps it's a different story for the dive watches...I've long coveted the 300 Master, which seems to be a beautiful, well made and accurate watch.
todd.hepburn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 September 2019, 05:17 AM   #328
Fabrice M
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: This and that...
I own both, Tudor’s and Omega’s. Frankly I would rate both on the same level, I definitely would not say Omega is better than Tudor as far as finish and Quality. Tudor does feel stronger and more of a tool watch and I think if I had to choose one, I probably would go for the Tudor.
Fabrice M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 September 2019, 05:31 AM   #329
othertbone
Banned

Watch: Rolex/AP/Vin Omega
Quote:
Originally Posted by teabags001 View Post
Thinking about picking up a nice beach watch. Something to wear on vacation but not worried about beating up so much. In the grand scheme of things would you consider omega and Tudor on the same level? The one below Rolex but not by a lot? Or is it more in lines with a longines?

Yep I would say they are. Omega has a few more expensive pieces that Tudor doesn't have, but in general they are are par.
othertbone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 August 2020, 12:27 AM   #330
Tallbark
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JacksonStone View Post
I agree with the others: Omega is above Tudor, imo. I think the brand is closer to Rolex in regards to overall quality of workmanship and advances in design and technology, although I'd still give the overall nod to Rolex. The problem I have with Omega is the tendency toward ephemera: they change their designs too frequently and too drastically, with too many stylistic flourishes intended to grab attention, rather than stand the test of time. Also, they put out way too many LEs and variants of their core watches. However, for the designs they nail, they're a great brand.
This is an old thread and sorry for bringing it up. In what way do Omega change their designs frequently? The Seamaster is updated now but since 1993 the changes has been rather small? For example...
Tallbark is offline   Reply With Quote