The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 22 July 2019, 04:44 AM   #1
fett1972
"TRF" Member

Does your location matter

Every other thread I read refers to the Rolex shortage.

I live in Newcastle in the UK and I have 3 Rolex AD near me, all part of the Goldsmiths chain.

I was able to acquire a SS Sub Date, White Gold OF Daytona and White Dial Daytona within 3 months last year.

Where people live must play some part of their success in acquiring pieces in regards to reduced demand, competition for pieces?
fett1972 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 July 2019, 04:49 AM   #2
dxbtousa
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fett1972 View Post

I live in Newcastle in the UK and I have 3 Rolex AD near me, all part of the Goldsmiths chain.

I was able to acquire a SS Sub Date, White Gold OF Daytona and White Dial Daytona within 3 months last year.

Where people live must play some part of their success in acquiring pieces in regards to reduced demand, competition for pieces?
Congrats - go flip em on the grey market for 100% margin and repeat the process.

Naturally, geographic location has an impact on the availability of SS models..
dxbtousa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 July 2019, 04:51 AM   #3
rohk
"TRF" Member

Definitely. There are about 5 ADs near me and they're only a couple of miles apart from each other. The AD that I go to doesn't have much inventory but was able to get me a No date Sub in a month. A few other ADs had good inventory but nothing that interests. Go a little bit farther north where you get closer to San Francisco, there was an AD that had a much larger selection which consisted of 2-3 Yacht-Master 2, an all gold sub, and ~10 Daytonas (which didn't interest me.. they were all YG, WG, Plat, TT).
rohk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 July 2019, 04:52 AM   #4
Redadmiral2
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116660 D-Blue
My local Manchester dealer says if your not a professional footballer or Chinese you have got no chance of a sports model.
It’s a closed shop to working class like myself.
Apparently the Chinese are making the most of the weak £ and are bulk buying in advance.
The shop is ignoring its waiting list cow towing to the foreigners.
I don’t blame the Chinese but the authorised dealers are in for a rude awakening about their selling practices as I’ve been told a documentary has been made about the Rolex conundrum.
Redadmiral2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 July 2019, 04:59 AM   #5
watchbowl
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redadmiral2 View Post
My local Manchester dealer says if your not a professional footballer or Chinese you have got no chance of a sports model.

Apparently the Chinese are making the most of the weak £ and are bulk buying in advance.

I don’t blame the Chinese but the authorised dealers are in for a rude awakening about their selling practices as I’ve been told a documentary has been made about the Rolex conundrum.

Is this goldsmiths?
watchbowl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 July 2019, 05:38 AM   #6
pepsiretail
Banned

Quote:
So a Chinese professional footballer would then be the ultimate Rolex power buyer

Hey, mate, where I live working class and Rolex have never been synonymous.

Cheerio!
pepsiretail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 July 2019, 06:39 AM   #7
Carry The Interest
"TRF" Member

Watch: RLX, ALS
If you're new to the game and looking for SS, going to an AD in a major city is likely going to put you at a bigger disadvantage than trying to work with an AD in a smaller city. An AD that is part of a bigger chain (e.g., Ben Bridge) likely works against you as well.
Carry The Interest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 July 2019, 12:34 PM   #8
Importer_Exporter
"TRF" Member

Watch: 126710BLRO
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carry The Interest View Post
If you're new to the game and looking for SS, going to an AD in a major city is likely going to put you at a bigger disadvantage than trying to work with an AD in a smaller city. An AD that is part of a bigger chain (e.g., Ben Bridge) likely works against you as well.
I disagree about the chain. You can have past history easier. That’s how I got mine. Wife bought some earrings a month prior and that got me a SS GMT.
Old 22 July 2019, 01:05 PM   #9
drtii
Banned

Watch: 216570 | 126660
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carry The Interest View Post
I disagree on that chain, works great for me. Otherwise, yeah, I would say normally it doesn't help.

If the smaller jewelers had any supply I'd be a customer there instead. I prefer smaller businesses if I can help it.
drtii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 July 2019, 07:14 PM   #10
Explorer2polar
"TRF" Member

Watch: BLNR , Sub C, Exp
Quote:

I know the three AD's your referring to and in my opinion they are terrible at almost everything.

Despite buying from them in the past (Not a massive amount x 2 Rolex & 1 Omega), I got the usual brush off when asking about a BLNR last year, "Oh they are only for our top spending customers!", I couldn't even get on there lists.

So I ended up having to buy from a dealer in the Midlands, I received my BLNR after 5 months and a Sub/C after another 3 months.

What cheesed me off was that a Pal who is a known Watch Flipper and Grey Dealer supplier in the local area regularly buys all the hard to get models from them and flips them the same day.

My Pal did offer me a BLNR which he bought from the .......... ......... AD, he offered me the watch at a £1,000 over MSRP on the day he bought it and I turned him down. I know that was a mistake knowing now how they have sky rocketed in value, but I just couldn't do it. I do not want to fuel the opportunist Rolex speculator market Pal or not.

So to answer your original question imo: Your location only works in your favour if the AD plays fair with All its customers, if they make the same amount of profit on a watch no matter who buys it, Then why give preferential treatment? Unless something else is going on behind the scenes?

Explorer2polar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 July 2019, 08:07 PM   #11
Andad
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: A few.
Quote:
Are you a farmer?

That may help.

Andad is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 27 July 2019, 08:17 PM   #12
padi56
"TRF" Life Patron

Watch: ing you.
Quote:

I would like you to post pictures of these 3 watches with your user name in the picture if possible
Quote:
Originally Posted by dxbtousa View Post
Congrats - go flip em on the grey market for 100% margin and repeat the process.

Naturally, geographic location has an impact on the availability of SS models..
And thats exactly what wrong with the Rolex watch hobby today.

ICom Pro3

All posts are my own opinion and my opinion only.

"The clock of life is wound but once, and no man has the power to tell just when the hands will stop. Now is the only time you actually own the time, Place no faith in time, for the clock may soon be still for ever."
Good Judgement comes from experience,experience comes from Bad Judgement,.Buy quality, cry once; buy cheap, cry again and again.

www.mc0yad.club

Second in command CEO and left handed watch winder
padi56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 July 2019, 08:21 PM   #13
brandrea
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: es make me smile
Quote:
Originally Posted by padi56 View Post

And thats exactly what wrong with the Rolex watch hobby today.
Indeed.
brandrea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 July 2019, 08:41 PM   #14
fett1972
"TRF" Member

[QUOTE=padi56;9845509]I would like you to post pictures of these 3 watches with your user name in the picture if possible

Already posted pics when I first received them
fett1972 is offline   Reply With Quote