The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Watches (Non-Rolex) Forum

Old 29 September 2018, 08:06 AM   #61
stockae92
"TRF" Member

I've seen them but never gave them a try on the wrist. How do they wear on smaller wrist size like 6.5"?
stockae92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 October 2018, 11:23 PM   #62
AltiTudor
"TRF" Member

Try Rabat in Barcelona on Passeig de Gracia. I stopped by yesterday and was shocked to see a Mil-Spec just sitting in the display. Gorgeous piece, but I found it wore a bit small for my taste.
AltiTudor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 October 2018, 11:54 PM   #63
_speedmaster_
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AltiTudor View Post
Try Rabat in Barcelona on Passeig de Gracia. I stopped by yesterday and was shocked to see a Mil-Spec just sitting in the display. Gorgeous piece, but I found it wore a bit small for my taste.
It's funny. When I wear the mil spec for a couple days, then jump to my sub, I really do feel like the sub is massive. I think it's the very compact lugs on the mil spec that make it wear like a 39mm

instagram.com/ct_watch_guy
_speedmaster_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 October 2018, 03:30 AM   #64
AltiTudor
"TRF" Member

I agree. I walked in wearing a Tudor Black Bay and was shocked at how much smaller the Mil-Spec felt. On the other hand, I was expecting the FF 5015 to feel huge at 45mm and found that it wore much smaller than a Panerai 93 I used to have or even than an AP ROO 42mm.
AltiTudor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 October 2018, 08:37 AM   #65
ialienam
"TRF" Member

FYI, i called and found a mil spec in Shanghai boutique, but didn’t proceed after all, cuz the price is same to what I would have paid for a BOC III in Australia. But they could have extended to 4 years warranty plus first service is free (u need to bring your watch back to them though).

But I did put down a payment in Taipei 101 boutique, as they said if I made a payment then a very good chance they would have secured one for me. If they can’t get it, fully refundable.

I will take my chance, if I can’t get it...well... I might get a Seamaster 300 instead. I also tried a FF Titanium blue yesterday, not bad.. 45mm does wear similar to my old AP diver..If I remember correctly, FF titanium blue offers a better movement too?

Anyway I told this story to my Australia AD, and they can’t do anything about it. It looks like Blancpain is doing what AP does now, only boutiques get very limited pieces.

But yah if anyone still after a mil spec, maybe try a boutique and be willing to put down a deposit for it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
ialienam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 October 2018, 04:48 AM   #66
_speedmaster_
"TRF" Member

Have you tried calling the Barcelona AD that Altitudor mentioned a couple of posts back?

Old 11 October 2018, 08:38 AM   #67
ialienam
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by _speedmaster_ View Post
Have you tried calling the Barcelona AD that Altitudor mentioned a couple of posts back?

No, I saw that post after I put down the payment

Regardless I won’t be able to buy from the Barcelona AD, haha it’s like 20 hours travel time from Sydney to there, and I happen to have family and friends in Taiwan and China who can help me to get the watch.

I have another piece to go after. So I don’t want to pay premium to get a mil spec, I am sure Blancpain will do another 40mm FF next year.

Taipei boutique said that they should be able to find out this month or so..

Old 11 October 2018, 08:56 AM   #68
_speedmaster_
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ialienam View Post
No, I saw that post after I put down the payment

Regardless I won’t be able to buy from the Barcelona AD, haha it’s like 20 hours travel time from Sydney to there, and I happen to have family and friends in Taiwan and China who can help me to get the watch.

I have another piece to go after. So I don’t want to pay premium to get a mil spec, I am sure Blancpain will do another 40mm FF next year.

Taipei boutique said that they should be able to find out this month or so..

Fair enough. Yea, I'm actually looking forward to seeing what their 40mm variant will be next year. I wish a 40mm FF would become a normal offering, instead of waiting for limited editions, but this will have to do.

Old 11 October 2018, 11:15 AM   #69
ialienam
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by _speedmaster_ View Post
Fair enough. Yea, I'm actually looking forward to seeing what their 40mm variant will be next year. I wish a 40mm FF would become a normal offering, instead of waiting for limited editions, but this will have to do.

Yah.. I am even considering 45mm FF if I can’t get a mil spec.. It does wear smaller than 45mm but it’s more of the thickness bothering me

If not for the moisture thing, then i personally like a 45mm FF dial more, and I should managed to get a better price through my AD

Will wait and see.
But it’s good to see Blancpain is getting more attention

Old 12 October 2018, 03:18 AM   #70
Pops1973
Banned

Watch: 116713LN
Really like the ff and I am now going to go and have a look at it alternative to the submariner.
Pops1973 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 October 2018, 08:22 AM   #71
Pops1973
Banned

Going next week to have a look at this watch - can I expect a decent discount buying new? Buying in UK.
Old 17 October 2018, 10:37 AM   #72
_speedmaster_
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pops1973 View Post
Going next week to have a look at this watch - can I expect a decent discount buying new? Buying in UK.
The regular FF or the milspec/OC iii?
You should expect a discount on the regular FF from an AD (boutiques don't discount to my knowledge).

The limited edition models (milspec and OC) likely won't receive any discount even if you find them at an AD.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Old 17 October 2018, 05:24 PM   #73
Pops1973
Banned

Thanks I will be looking at the standard model - noticed on grey market around £8k aiming for this as my target price.

Old 17 October 2018, 05:27 PM   #74
ialienam
"TRF" Member

Yah, u should be easily get some discount for a regular FF.

My boutique says mil spec is still available worldwide.. Just don’t know if it’s been fully allocated to stores or not.

They are working to get one for me i.e have one transfer from another AD. But don’t know how it will play out.

I have heard one guy who travelled all the way from China to Dubai to pick up a mil spec just about a couple of months ago, and the serial number was like 5x

Old 17 October 2018, 10:38 PM   #75
_speedmaster_
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Yah, u should be easily get some discount for a regular FF.

My boutique says mil spec is still available worldwide.. Just don’t know if it’s been fully allocated to stores or not.

They are working to get one for me i.e have one transfer from another AD. But don’t know how it will play out.

I have heard one guy who travelled all the way from China to Dubai to pick up a mil spec just about a couple of months ago, and the serial number was like 5x

You can't go by the serial number. Apparently they are released in a haphazard order. I got mine about a month ago and its #2xx/500

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Old 18 October 2018, 12:16 AM   #76
Pingparme
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AK797 View Post
Tried one on today for first time in years and it is a stonecold beauty, but at 45mm it was pushing my limit. RG one was also really nice, the blue bezel was a bit too navy dark for me. Asked about the Mil-spec and she looked at me with Daytona eyes...

Yes I used to own one but 45mm is indeed too large for me, depends on your wrist size but 45 is really large

Pingparme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 October 2018, 01:44 AM   #77
AK797
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing ships roll in
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pingparme View Post
Yes I used to own one but 45mm is indeed too large for me, depends on your wrist size but 45 is really large

It does wear smaller like a 43mm as often said, but the bezel is quite dominating and so I think it works best on a bracelet or thick strap to balance it out. And similarly the 40m is too small for me.
AK797 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 October 2018, 01:46 AM   #78
AK797
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing ships roll in
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pops1973 View Post
Thanks I will be looking at the standard model - noticed on grey market around £8k aiming for this as my target price.

I think BP Bond street might discount, they always have all the models in when I pop in.
AK797 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 October 2018, 01:48 AM   #79
Pops1973
Banned

Thx I will be going to London so will go there - just worried it might be too big as mentioned - but I already have a Panerai which I wear and feel comfortable with the size.

Old 18 October 2018, 03:36 PM   #80
asiparks
"TRF" Member

Watch: ing the Detectives
Try on in the boutique, but then reach out to greys for the purchase. Deprecition can be pretty savage....which is good news for people like me, I just picked up another one...

Didn't think I was a gold watch person, but the brushed finish on this won me over, it positively glows...

It does wear smaller than the specs would suggest, the case being ostensibly round with just the lugs poking out. It feels appreciably smaller than my Pam 351 and 177, and waaaayyy smaller than the AP Diver I used to own.

Old 18 October 2018, 10:08 PM   #81
Pops1973
Banned

Looks good I am hoping that it is smaller and will go to the greys see what they are offering if I like it thx

Old 22 October 2018, 02:43 AM   #82
vman
"TRF" Member

Watch: less TV
This is looking good. Thinking of replacing my BLNR with FF... Do any of you folks have BLNR + FF shots side by side?
Old 22 October 2018, 06:22 AM   #83
Alex_TA
"TRF" Member

The gold FF is amazing.
Alex_TA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 October 2018, 07:19 AM   #84
_speedmaster_
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by vman View Post
This is looking good. Thinking of replacing my BLNR with FF... Do any of you folks have BLNR + FF shots side by side?
The 45mm FF or a 40mm variant?

Old 22 October 2018, 08:43 AM   #85
vman
"TRF" Member

Watch: less TV
Based on my price range, likely to be a 45mm ^
Old 22 October 2018, 09:46 AM   #86
_speedmaster_
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by vman View Post
Based on my price range, likely to be a 45mm ^
Ah. Could’ve helped you if it were the latter.

Old 22 October 2018, 10:00 AM   #87
GreatHarry
"TRF" Member

Watch: CHNR
Quote:
Originally Posted by improviz View Post
?? So you wasted everyone's time without even bothering to check if its price is within your budget first?? Nice....
Wasting your time?
You didn't have to reply to the OP's question.
GreatHarry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 October 2018, 03:43 AM   #88
improviz
"TRF" Member

Watch: your step
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreatHarry View Post
Wasting your time?
You didn't have to reply to the OP's question.
Assumption is that if someone asks opinions on a watch, they've already done their homework on whether or not it's within their price range. Opinions are irrelevant if OP can't afford it anyway, right?
116520 white; 16613 black; 116710; 16570 polar; 16600. AP 15400; 15703. Blancpain Fifty Fathoms. Glashutte Sport Evo GMT. Omega Planet Ocean 2907.50.91; Planet Ocean Liquidmetal LE 222.30.42.20.01.001; Seamaster 2255.80.00. Breitling Crosswind, white. Panerai PAM 005. VC Overseas Chrono, black.
improviz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 October 2018, 07:10 AM   #89
ialienam
"TRF" Member

FYI, bought my first Blancpain, Mil spec from Shanghai Boutique! Well... not with me yet, I will collect it toward end of this year.

Anyway due tax refund, it will be around USD $14000, with 4 years warranty and first service is free (but have to return to Shanghai and the last 2 years warranted by Shanghai boutqiue too)

That’s why I pull the triggered after all, even though Blancpain May likely launch a normal 40mm FF next year (from what I been told by different people). But I feel it’s a limited edition with great history.

Anyway from my recent experience, mil spec is likely still available, but been fully distributed. If your AD/boutique stores it, and u like it, u better buy it.

Old 24 October 2018, 08:30 AM   #90
_speedmaster_
"TRF" Member

Quote:
FYI, bought my first Blancpain, Mil spec from Shanghai Boutique! Well... not with me yet, I will collect it toward end of this year.

Anyway due tax refund, it will be around USD $14000, with 4 years warranty and first service is free (but have to return to Shanghai and the last 2 years warranted by Shanghai boutqiue too)

That’s why I pull the triggered after all, even though Blancpain May likely launch a normal 40mm FF next year (from what I been told by different people). But I feel it’s a limited edition with great history.

Anyway from my recent experience, mil spec is likely still available, but been fully distributed. If your AD/boutique stores it, and u like it, u better buy it.

Congrats! I’m glad you tracked one down and didn’t settle. You’ll love the milspec. Certainly post pics when you get it.
I agree with you, I love the uniqueness and history of the milspec. There may be a normal 40mm FF in the future (there assuredly will be a LE 40mm in 2019), but the milspec and moisture indicator is a unique trait, and something that really harkens back to the start of the FF and th direction of the company in the 50s.