The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Audemars Piguet Discussion Forum

Closed Thread

Old 30 May 2019, 01:06 AM   #31
cascavel
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AK797 View Post
Rewarding bad behaviour is absolutely the wrong move, always. There are many polite and professional ways to tell customers of the current situation which we all know favours sellers, and this woman did neither on multiple occasions, she should be out on her ear.
You are correct, of course, although I don't agree with that last bit. But I was just trying to be helpful and the fact is that those are your two options: become a valued client of the boutique or buy in the Grey Market.
The sales people are human, too, and consider their situation, they have nothing to sell and lots of people coming in asking for the same out of stock items or trying to get on lists for out of stock items often with no better intention than flipping it for a few bucks should they be successful. Is it any wonder sales personnel are short on patience? I am not excusing it but it is understandable and most participants on this site are acutely aware of the current state of affairs.
Old 30 May 2019, 01:08 AM   #32
AshAP
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP Royal Oak
Daytona116500 I sent you a PM, hope you received it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 30 May 2019, 01:15 AM   #33
Daytona116500
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by blacke90 View Post
Fyi, I’m not saying it’s ok for anyone to be rude for buying entry level items at any store.
I get what you mean. $18K might be a lot to me or others but it's little to nothing to them. I am happy I got the watch in the end, trust me. But it also makes me think about in the future working with companies who appreciate my business in a manner which I find more acceptable.
Old 30 May 2019, 01:23 AM   #34
Daytona116500
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by maciej View Post
For what it's worth, and that's not to discount the experience you've had...

I've spent quite a bit of time at the New York City boutique and had the opportunity to sit down for some lengthy conversations with Susan and the staff just discussing the industry as a whole and it's pretty crazy the things that they go through and the positions that they're put in. Due to the current craze associated with the steel sport models and the highly desirable ones like the skeletons and the ceramic perpetual calendars its really been bringing out the worst in people. While in years past there was a bit of naiveté and optimism on the staff's side when they heard people's stories, in the past year or two it's gotten quite preposterous with regard to the lengths that people will go to in order to get their hands on desirable pieces to flip. I heard a story that another boutique manager was asked for a steel skeleton because it was the dying wish of the client's friend that had a terminal illness and they wanted to give them the chance to wear it for a few days prior to their inevitable demise, another new trend is that clients that have a lengthy purchasing history are being targeted and befriended in order to have them ask for a desirable piece and then it gets flipped.

I sincerely think that if you went in on a day where it's slow or dropped in a little more often to visit and strike up conversation that they'd open up to you, especially if you show them that you're truly passionate about the brand and horology as a whole, because right now everyone is highly suspicious of anyone asking for desirable pieces because they're actively trying to thwart flippers.

Just my opinion...
I get where you are coming from. I am not a demanding person by any means and I don't walk in there asking for stuff every time. I work in the area and do stop in every so often to just chat about the industry in general. I was working w/ Keeno and we had that rapport but he left. I also understand probably 100 people come in a day requesting 15202s and it must be frustrating. But the major issue I have is you don't tell someone who is buying their 1st piece they are lucky and should have never gotten it to begin with and that they really can't do much to help you further. I'm sorry but I just cannot accept that is good customer service, which was the major issue I had. What other industry would that happen in? Would a Tesla dealer tell you when you turn in a lease you can't get another one? The Four Seasons say you can't stay there anymore after you get the bill, or Cartier tell me I can't buy my wife another love bracelet because she already has 2?
Old 30 May 2019, 02:04 AM   #35
V25V
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fat_ninja View Post
Not going to lie... I don’t really enjoy going to the AP boutique... they think they sell Pateks...
I know your humor, so think you are joking. As if it would be OK for a Patek dealer to act this way?

That said, my experience with AP boutiques has been similar thus far, albeit limited as there isn't much there which would appeal to me anyhow. I too have been turned off by the brand, and it starts at the top with his attitude. Going boutique only was a huge mistake in my opinion and I hope it bites them in the ass.
Old 30 May 2019, 03:19 AM   #36
HarryLime
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Not only is it wrong but AP pride themselves on good service so this manager needs to be brought to account, I would contact AP directly and complain, this woman has no business representing this brand.
I agree, I'd do this.

Also, am I crazy but was there no TL;DR in this thread despite it being in the subject line?
Old 30 May 2019, 05:41 AM   #37
Ranfni
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex Panerai AP
Sales is all how you make the customer feel and in this case AP failed...
Old 30 May 2019, 06:33 AM   #38
Soly20
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex, AP, PP
That's unacceptable. You should report this person to AP headquarters. Even if you are buying an entry level AP, you are not buying a carton of milk!
Old 30 May 2019, 06:41 AM   #39
easterbunny
"TRF" Member

That SA sounds pretty crummy but I'm still jelly you got a blue 15450! I think that is the coolest Royal Oak of all.
Old 30 May 2019, 06:46 AM   #40
aa909
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by cascavel View Post
You are correct, of course, although I don't agree with that last bit. But I was just trying to be helpful and the fact is that those are your two options: become a valued client of the boutique or buy in the Grey Market.
The sales people are human, too, and consider their situation, they have nothing to sell and lots of people coming in asking for the same out of stock items or trying to get on lists for out of stock items often with no better intention than flipping it for a few bucks should they be successful. Is it any wonder sales personnel are short on patience? I am not excusing it but it is understandable and most participants on this site are acutely aware of the current state of affairs.
I agree 100% with your first point, but I LOL’d at the psycho analysis afterwards. We live in a world nowadays where a decent well mannered customer has to be “thoughtful” about the asshole attitude of a sales rep because “they’re human too and might be having a bad day”. Ridiculous
Old 30 May 2019, 06:55 AM   #41
Snow-Dweller
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: collections change
Quote:
Not only is it wrong but AP pride themselves on good service so this manager needs to be brought to account, I would contact AP directly and complain, this woman has no business representing this brand.
I agree

16803. 16570. 18038. 114300. BB58. GMW-B5000D.
Old 30 May 2019, 07:01 AM   #42
tjs00
"TRF" Member

Thanks, will definitely avoid.
Old 30 May 2019, 07:15 AM   #43
RolexZen
"TRF" Member

Watch: No Rolex
I thought in another thread you said you were getting a 15450 from an AD, then picked up a 15500 from another AD, and were going to give the 15450 to your wife?
Old 30 May 2019, 07:30 AM   #44
Mbbgysam
2024 Pledge Member

Yikes, sorry to hear about your experience. It's hard to imagine a scenario where it would be appropriate to say that you shouldn't have gotten the watch. That would've ruined it for me.

I've struggled with APNY as well despite having a purchase history with them (my old SA has since left). The SA I've been dealing with recently is friendly enough (and genuinely seems to enjoy our conversations about watches), but there has been zero follow-up on any of the pieces we've discussed.

I understand the limited supply argument and the frustration that brings -- but everyone's in that position these days. If others can still manage to give their customers a great experience (specifically my Rolex and Patek AD), then I have a hard time excusing APNY.
Old 30 May 2019, 07:42 AM   #45
pgasparro
"TRF" Member

Watch: 15500Blue&26470IO
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daytona116500 View Post
So I moved to NYC 2 years ago from LA. I went into the boutique one of my 1st weekends and asked to put down a deposit for a 15450ST-03 and was told at that time they were not taking names for that year and come back in January. I went back in January of 2018 after SIHH and again was told the allocations were less that they expected and so I didn't make the list. Pretty bummed of course, but I was determined to somehow get one and went back to the boutique a few times throughout the year to check out what they had in the case and chat with the sales associates.

Fast forward to this year, called the store manager Susan to see if I can get on this year's list and she again told me no. My son was just born this January and his initials are AP and I wanted to get him an heirloom I can pass down one day. Frustrated, I went back to the boutique to ask if anything what can I do. It just so happened their NA CEO was at the store that day and we came to find out we lived in the same area of Brooklyn. He instructed one of the sales people there to take a deposit for me. Obviously I was thrilled and was given a May timeline to receive the watch.

About 3 weeks ago I went back in to check the status of things and the store manager was kind of rude to me, she told me I was 5th on the list and I'm the last one to get the 15450 this year and I don't need to keep coming in and checking in, they would call me when it arrived. No BS!

I called the boutique over the weekend after sitting on how I was spoken to by Susan and wanted to give some feedback and the sales associate actually told me my watch was at the store and had been there for a week. Weird. No call, and I was told I wasn't getting one until the end of the year.

So, I went to pick it up today and after reading all about how some of you were treated when you got your AP's - champagne and company swag, etc I was feeling rally excited.

My experience picking it up was NOTHING like that. When I got there and asked how the watch came early - I was told I should have "never" gotten a watch, but I guess the NA CEO who is no longer there - allocated me a watch when the boutique wasn't getting that many so they had to find me one. Obviously I'm very appreciative of getting the watch and all that but it's not a good feeling to be told I should shave "never gotten it".

Furthermore, I asked about expanding my collection and adding a ROC or 15500 and they told me they probably couldn't get me either since many other customers have expressed interest.

They didn't offer to size my watch, no swag, I had to ask them for a bag to put the watch in since it was raining today - mind you this was at 11:30 in the morning and no one else was in the store.

Long rant I know, and I love the watch but it sucks knowing instead of building a relationship and more pieces now I have to go elsewhere.

I am not surprised! Go check out my post on Susan Wallace 'AP fell off brand new ghost'.

I'm sorry but after hearing this is the second time she has been rude to another client - she should be removed from AP.
Old 30 May 2019, 08:04 AM   #46
Daytona116500
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RolexZen View Post
I thought in another thread you said you were getting a 15450 from an AD, then picked up a 15500 from another AD, and were going to give the 15450 to your wife?
Thanks for calling that out. Yeah, I put down the deposit, but then decided to hold out for this 15450 and try to get a blue dial 15500 for me and give this one to my wife. So in the end did not end up getting the gray dial one. Didn't mean to mislead anyone I forgot to update that thread
Old 30 May 2019, 08:07 AM   #47
Daytona116500
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AshAP View Post
Daytona116500 I sent you a PM, hope you received it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Confirmed I saw it and took your recco, thanks!
Old 30 May 2019, 08:18 AM   #48
PJ S
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by pgasparro View Post
I am not surprised! Go check out my post on Susan Wallace 'AP fell off brand new ghost'.

I'm sorry but after hearing this is the second time she has been rude to another client - she should be removed from AP.
That’s twice her sub-optimal attitude has been recounted here, God knows how many other instances, which we’re unlikely to ever learn about, have taken place.
Sounds like she’s a prime candidate for some re-training in customer-facing skills, on the presumption AP doesn’t let her go.
Telling a customer, the OP or otherwise, that they didn’t deserve to receive the piece they wanted is a straight sackable offence. For me, that is tantamount to bringing the company’s name into disrepute.
Old 30 May 2019, 09:02 AM   #49
AK797
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing ships roll in
Quote:
Originally Posted by cascavel View Post
I can understand this more with a Rolex AD salesperson as they are literally inundated with customers/flippers, but AP is on a much smaller scale, and then for this to be the attitude of the manager not just some spotty-nosed junior salesperson is really unacceptable. Also consider AP are still a niche brand and rude behaviour gets amplified in the echo chamber of social media so this is a colossally stupid decision for this manager to make, let alone rude and unprofessional.

If AP had any sense she'd be gone, good service is one of the main USPs AP has over Rolex and Patek, because their watches certainly aren't as popular, they lose this and they lose a hell of a lot.
Old 30 May 2019, 09:24 AM   #50
ufboy73
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by PJ S View Post
That’s twice her sub-optimal attitude has been recounted here, God knows how many other instances, which we’re unlikely to ever learn about, have taken place.
Sounds like she’s a prime candidate for some re-training in customer-facing skills, on the presumption AP doesn’t let her go.
Telling a customer, the OP or otherwise, that they didn’t deserve to receive the piece they wanted is a straight sackable offence. For me, that is tantamount to bringing the company’s name into disrepute.
and the most ridiculous part is - she is not simply an SA, she is the store manager!

with that sort of example, one does not need to hypothesize very much to figure out what the culture will be in that particular boutique before very long!!
Old 30 May 2019, 09:24 AM   #51
ufboy73
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by pgasparro View Post

well, you are buds with the CEO, right

you should let him know there seems to be a pattern
Old 30 May 2019, 10:33 AM   #52
calatravato
"TRF" Member

Watch: PP 5711/1a-011
Sorry to hear about your rough experience; runs contrary to how I was treated there. I visited during the trunk show, and Kevin helped me out. Let me try on all the goodies that were on display, but unfortunately not for sale. I was told no in the 15500, but the chronos were easier. I eventually picked up a 26331st in blue. Manuela logged the sale for me, but Kevin handled the closing. No games with bundling or no nonsense. No SWAG, but I guess it’s not something you can expect to be entitled to.

Customer service was very good. I asked Kevin to send me the watch next-day delivery, and he hustled to beat the 4:30pm deadline. I took the watch in a few days later, and they were happy to size it for me.

I wouldn’t say they rolled out the red carpet for me, but I think the service was quite good.
Old 30 May 2019, 10:50 AM   #53
justin.meridabikes
"TRF" Member

Same snobbishness in Singapore marina bay sands boutique

I am not surprised at all with the experience described. I'm not sure if this is a culture that runs in the company or is it down to lousy hiring practices.

My experience in Sg MBS entailed the sales assistant whose name I still have telling me not to play with the inner rotating bezel on an Roo in case I damage it. Fact of the matter was it wasn't working in the first place so I was trying to get the gears to engage.

Also, I've filled out waiting lists for certain models but never got contacted despite seeing the watches on display a few weeks later at the same store. AP wants to shrink its authorized dealer network but all I can say is in terms of customer experience the boutiques fall far behind. Even a good grey dealer gives me much better service. The people working at the boutiques need to realise that most of its customers have worked hard to be able to pay the asking price of the watches they are selling.

Would really love to see some improvement if anyone from AP is reading this thread. No point having a swanky boutique and all with customer service that pushes people to other brands
Old 30 May 2019, 11:50 AM   #54
JVM
Banned

Unfortunately easy to buy and no BS because there is very little demand for their product. When it comes to the desirable pieces (Speedy Tuesday, Speedy "Ultraman") it might as well be a hot AP, Patek or stainless Rolex; same story.

Of those brands, I really like what I've seen from Cartier lately. Great brand history with a number of iconic models, and now some interesting movements built in-house. I think the "Drive" model with the complications is a stunning watch.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daytona116500 View Post
Yeah, between this and Rolex, the last few years haven't been the best in terms of watch collecting. I always ask myself could I be happy with IWC, Cartier, Breitling, Omega, etc - easy to buy no BS.
Old 30 May 2019, 12:21 PM   #55
Chary
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 15407ST
Never done business with NY Boutique, but I've walked in and Manuela was very nice... she basically told me that I couldnt get on the list for the 15407ST unless I spent some big bucks... lol...

as far as Avi&Co they have better selection and fair prices and the times I've been there they are really attentive and cool, I've worked with Elan on the past..

Instagram: Chary1
Old 30 May 2019, 12:34 PM   #56
SMD
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP/PP
Quote:
Originally Posted by masterserg View Post
This has been my experience at a diff boutique (Bal Harbour). I am not a big client by any stretch ... just bought a 15400 and a couple straps. But I always try to stop by for a chat and to take a peek at some amazing watches. Always a great experience which I truly enjoy. They've been nothing but awesome with me ... including getting me said blue 15400 and a few very nice gifts ... and yeah ... I am always wearing ratty shorts, t-shirts and flip flops ...
I think NYC is different as that is most definitely not my experience.

I should expand a bit on my experiences with NYC and AP boutiques in general. I have purchased 6 APs, 4 from boutiques.

The NYC boutique is very matter of fact, all business for the most part. They will ask if you want water, coffee, etc. but they most certainly will not make a big production out of a purchase. My most recent experience I picked up a piece (about 30K all in, not a big spender by any means, but over the years north of 150K) and Susan helped me. I am fine with the straight forward no frills service, but I can see how this would rub a first time buyer (or many other people) the wrong way. Very matter of fact, no enthusiasm, nada. If she had been opening up a prepackaged sandwich from Pret the experience would have been the same. Not everyone is like that (Selin, Manuella is polite and nice, and others I have dealt with that I cannot recall their names) but the tone is set at the top. With this purchase was I offered any Swag? No. Did I ask? No, I don't think I should have to. Is it important to me, not really but gestures are always appreciated. I have a thing for Berluti and even though the amounts I spend there are minuscule as compared to AP, the service level is just night and day. I think AP should strive to be at that level.

Do my prior purchases and the fact that I have never sold one of the APs I have purchased (which they know because I get straps changed by them) get me access to hard to get pieces? Maybe at the margins as compared to someone off the street. But can I get access to a 15407? 15202? NFW. Been waiting three years (on the 15407, don't want a jumbo) and I am pretty confident it will never happen. So 150K on APs, proven non flipper and no chance on a 15407. I understand that there will always be thousands of people who spend more on APs than me and that they should be APs top priority, but something is clearly wrong with how those pieces are being allocated when so many of them end up in the gray market still stickered. If they were all going to people like Roger I would never say a word because quite frankly that is who they should prioritize.

Brief mention of other boutiques -- Ginza, absolutely atrocious service for Japan. I bought some socks at Paul Smith when I was there and the service blew AP away, as does quite frankly nearly every single place I ever visited (I try to go frequently). I was the only one in the shop, walked in, tried on the ceramic diver and said I would take it (they had plenty at the time so they were not doing me a favor). When another customer came in to have his 15400 sized, they dropped me like a hot potato, catered to this guy until he was done, offered him scotch, you name it. Me, nothing. Put it in a bag and left it on the desk.

LV/Westime -- very gracious, spent lots of time showing me pieces they could not sell to me. I have not been a customer there but if given the opportunity I would not hesitate.

Material Good -- very good service, always treated me well and would not hesitate to buy from them but they do not get allocated the same quality of pieces as the boutique so if what you care about most is getting access to unique pieces its going to be much tougher to do at Material Good, not to mention the fact that they also sell RM so they will have their own whales to satisfy.

Sorry for the long response. I love AP watches but I most certainly do not relish the experience of shopping for them. I do not like going to ADs or the boutiques anymore, because quite frankly what's the point?

As always, YMMV.

Edit -- forgot to mention APSC is phenomenal. When it comes to servicing your watches they are the best in the business. Front of house needs some work.
Old 30 May 2019, 12:40 PM   #57
justin.meridabikes
"TRF" Member

Same snobbishness in Singapore marina bay sands boutique

I am not surprised at all with the experience described. I'm not sure if this is a culture that runs in the company or is it down to lousy hiring practices.

My experience in Sg MBS entailed the sales assistant whose name I still have telling me not to play with the inner rotating bezel on an Roo in case I damage it. Fact of the matter was it wasn't working in the first place so I was trying to get the gears to engage.

Also, I've filled out waiting lists for certain models but never got contacted despite seeing the watches on display a few weeks later at the same store. AP wants to shrink its authorized dealer network but all I can say is in terms of customer experience the boutiques fall far behind. Even a good grey dealer gives me much better service. The people working at the boutiques need to realise that most of its customers have worked hard to be able to pay the asking price of the watches they are selling.

Would really love to see some improvement if anyone from AP is reading this thread. No point having a swanky boutique and all with customer service that pushes people to other brands
Old 30 May 2019, 04:13 PM   #58
myporsche
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex♠Lange
I'm sorry to hear about your experience, I was treated well at AP NY but only because I was escorted there by an exec from down the street. I did overhear someone with a bad attitude when I was there which rubbed me the wrong way (she was openly saying bad things on the phone abut a co worker) not sure if it's the same person you mentioned. No one should be treated this way and there's no such thing as an "entry" model for AP. The 15450 shouldn't have been too hard to track down, congrats on your purchase.
Old 30 May 2019, 04:42 PM   #59
Marciano490
"TRF" Member

Just go to Material Good from now on. It’s an amazing space and the guys there are super friendly. I get that it’s annoying for sales people to be asked about the same watches over and over, but I’m sure all the jobs we’re working to afford those watches are equally annoying at times.
Old 30 May 2019, 05:00 PM   #60
mickyd329
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP/PP/Rolex
Most of my experiences at AP boutiques have been sub par at best. I'm really turned off by their new business model of going boutique only. Premium purchases should come with premium experiences. I honestly don't care what kind of day the boutique employees are having. Everyone should be treated with respect. We are not buying Timex's here....
PP 5205G-013/ PP 5212A / AP 15416CE /26574 st QP/ AP 50th 16202st /AP 15500st Black / AP 26405CE / AP 77350CE / AP 15551st / AP 67540sk /Daytona C White/Rolex SS BLRO / Rolex Sub Green / Rolex Explorer II/ Rolex DJ Blue
Closed Thread