The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex WatchTech

Old 6 July 2019, 09:06 PM   #1
N5XTC
"TRF" Member

Watch: 2008 Submariner
Icon20 Regulating at AD question

I have a local AD near me while i am on vacation. There are TWO rolex certified watchmakers at the AD. the one told me, "the other guy has better machines" (talking about regulating my sub).

does that make sense? he was implying that the other guy would be better to regulate my 2008 submariner, i believe.

the benefit of regulating my 2008 sub here (running +7 per day) is that i can drop off and pick up in 5 days (he said it takes that long). no mailing necessary (and thus quicker also). i love that.

other QUESTION, do i risk getting a watch back that LOSES some time (thus "-"). i'd rather have my +7 than -1, honestly.

"A man with one watch knows what time it is while a man with two is never sure."
N5XTC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 July 2019, 09:31 PM   #2
padi56
"TRF" Life Patron

Watch: ing you.
Quote:
Originally Posted by N5XTC View Post
I have a local AD near me while i am on vacation. There are TWO rolex certified watchmakers at the AD. the one told me, "the other guy has better machines" (talking about regulating my sub).

does that make sense? he was implying that the other guy would be better to regulate my 2008 submariner, i believe.

the benefit of regulating my 2008 sub here (running +7 per day) is that i can drop off and pick up in 5 days (he said it takes that long). no mailing necessary (and thus quicker also). i love that.

other QUESTION, do i risk getting a watch back that LOSES some time (thus "-"). i'd rather have my +7 than -1, honestly.
No matter the macine its only as good as the guy operating the machine, in this case a timegrapher machine. And just because any watchmaker regulates on a machine to say a +2 rate. It dont always mean it will perform exactly the same on the wrist far to many daily variables.

ICom Pro3

All posts are my own opinion and my opinion only.

"The clock of life is wound but once, and no man has the power to tell just when the hands will stop. Now is the only time you actually own the time, Place no faith in time, for the clock may soon be still for ever."
Good Judgement comes from experience,experience comes from Bad Judgement,.Buy quality, cry once; buy cheap, cry again and again.

www.mc0yad.club

Second in command CEO and left handed watch winder
padi56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 July 2019, 09:43 PM   #3
1William
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex/Others
I would go with the watch guy who you feel comfortable with and would provide the best service. The gentleman you talked to might be trying to put you off on the other guy because he has dealt with customers like you before, difficult to satisfy. Not a difficult adjustment should you choose but it does open up other issues that might occur with opening the watch. I read your other thread and I would sit tight. If you experience other issues then you will wish you had not done it. With a watch from 08 it might be getting time for a service and if that is the case why not send it back to Rolex and make sure it is right but that is a $600-800 service it nothing is wrong. All of this for a few seconds a day? You might need to look at yourself and not the watch. No offense, but you don't seem to listen to some very experienced collectors. It is your watch so you can do what you want, of course. Good luck, you are going to need it.
1William is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 July 2019, 09:32 PM   #4
N5XTC
"TRF" Member

Icon20

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1William View Post
I would go with the watch guy who you feel comfortable with and would provide the best service. The gentleman you talked to might be trying to put you off on the other guy because he has dealt with customers like you before, difficult to satisfy. Not a difficult adjustment should you choose but it does open up other issues that might occur with opening the watch. I read your other thread and I would sit tight. If you experience other issues then you will wish you had not done it. With a watch from 08 it might be getting time for a service and if that is the case why not send it back to Rolex and make sure it is right but that is a $600-800 service it nothing is wrong. All of this for a few seconds a day? You might need to look at yourself and not the watch. No offense, but you don't seem to listen to some very experienced collectors. It is your watch so you can do what you want, of course. Good luck, you are going to need it.
the watch was serviced before i purchased it. you say i wont listen to other collectors, in terms of what advice? SPECIFICALLY? no one really has given me much advice regarding. the watch has settled to +7, 5 days in a row now.

what issues could "come up" simply by "opening" the watch (opening by a certified rolex guy at an AD).

look at "myself"? lol. the watch was not +2.5, +4 +5 +6 then finally settling in a +7? am i "picky" or HARD TO PLEASE bec i am looking for some consistency (not a REGULATION issue, CONSISTENCY). yes, i know a watch can vary by conditions, but i had standardized these fairly well.

you make some claims, i'd like to read what you have to say.

"A man with one watch knows what time it is while a man with two is never sure."
Old 7 July 2019, 10:06 PM   #5
padi56
"TRF" Life Patron

Quote:
the watch was serviced before i purchased it. you say i wont listen to other collectors, in terms of what advice? SPECIFICALLY? no one really has given me much advice regarding. the watch has settled to +7, 5 days in a row now.

what issues could "come up" simply by "opening" the watch (opening by a certified rolex guy at an AD).

look at "myself"? lol. the watch was not +2.5, +4 +5 +6 then finally settling in a +7? am i "picky" or HARD TO PLEASE bec i am looking for some consistency (not a REGULATION issue, CONSISTENCY). yes, i know a watch can vary by conditions, but i had standardized these fairly well.

you make some claims, i'd like to read what you have to say.
IMHO you have developed CCTS [CONSTANT CHECKING TIME SYNDROME] once caught it starts to take the enjoyment out of owning a Rolex watch.Yes consistency is one of the most important things with mechanical watches.Your watch is running at the moment 1 second over the COSC standard of a AVERAGE -4+6 seconds over any 24 hour period.It could do better perhaps with regulation, but like all things mechanical when tested on a machine,results could differ while on the wrist. Life is to short to worry and fret over a few seconds out of 86400 in a day, just enjoy your watch for what it is.

ICom Pro3

"The clock of life is wound but once, and no man has the power to tell just when the hands will stop. Now is the only time you actually own the time, Place no faith in time, for the clock may soon be still for ever."
Good Judgement comes from experience,experience comes from Bad Judgement,.Buy quality, cry once; buy cheap, cry again and again.

www.mc0yad.club

Old 7 July 2019, 10:21 PM   #6
Rebel
"TRF" Member

Watch: Tudor Sub 75090
What Padi said. Enjoy your watch.
Old 7 July 2019, 11:30 PM   #7
Rolexoman
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex Datejust II
What Padi56 (Peter) said is very sound advice, I to got caught up in CCTS and it’s easy to do and takes over enjoying your new watch.

I still do occasionally fall back into CCTS but I have ppl here like Peter and others and then I have the Mrs telling me “ Look it’s only a few secs a day get over it” and this brings me back to reality.

In the big scheme of things like yours you say it’s 7 secs a day off, well if you do the math really quick it’s only 2,555 secs off in one year which comes to like 42 mins and that’s honestly not bad
Citizens Eco-Drive BL1258-53L Rolex DJII 116334, Tudor Heritage Black Bay 79230R Omega Seamaster Aqua Terra GMT 231.13.43.22.02.004 Ulysse Nardin Marine Torpilleur 1183.310/40 MAS Irukandji Vostok Komandirskie B&R BR0392-D-G-BR/SCA Vostok Komandirskie (Tank) South Bend Model 1 #716632 Vostok Amphibia (Sub)
Rolexoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 July 2019, 11:32 PM   #8
epicurus
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rebel View Post
What Padi said. Enjoy your watch.
x2
epicurus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 July 2019, 12:20 AM   #9
Jona
Banned

Watch: 116618LN
When I buy a new watch I always have the AD run a timing test on it just to be sure it isn't WAY off. None of my purchases have been out of COSC range. None of my recent Rolex buys have been +/-2 in all positions.

If the watch runs slow I'll set it a few seconds fast, and vice versa. With my rotation it's never an issue.

I agree with PADI. If I want "better" accuracy I'll go to my GS Spring Drive or GS Quartz. But there all just in the rotation or whatever I feel like wearing on a given day.
Jona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 July 2019, 01:42 AM   #10
N5XTC
"TRF" Member

Icon20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jona View Post
When I buy a new watch I always have the AD run a timing test on it just to be sure it isn't WAY off. None of my purchases have been out of COSC range. None of my recent Rolex buys have been +/-2 in all positions.

If the watch runs slow I'll set it a few seconds fast, and vice versa. With my rotation it's never an issue.

I agree with PADI. If I want "better" accuracy I'll go to my GS Spring Drive or GS Quartz. But there all just in the rotation or whatever I feel like wearing on a given day.
the ISSUE began when i purchased the watch. it had been serviced sept 2008, i bought it june 2009, so it prob set a year. it was +2.5 then +4 then +5 a few days then +6 a few days then +7. i was worried it was going to keep speeding up like that. BUT it has settled to +7 now over the past 5 days. so i am HAPPY.

the forum, as usual began with the AD HOMINEM arguments (critiquing the arguer NOT the argument, in this case questions). "you expect too much", you check your watch too much, etc etc etc etc. none are intelligent answers to my queries.

SO, now that it is +7 (a bit out of +6 spec) SHOULD I regulate it since i am on vacation where there is a local AD with rolex cert watchmakers. it would take 5 days, require no mailing in either direction and cost around $50. that is where we are.

one guy replied more things can happen "opening" the case, thus not worth it for a few seconds. this is where we are in the ORIGINAL QUERY. i am starting to think, maybe he is right, leave it +7 and be happy (which i can be). i will set it once per week, cut the + in half (via setting it half behind). that works on some of my wall clocks (i collect vintage clocks, this is not new to me).

THIS IS WHERE WE ARE independent of AD HOMINEM LOL

Old 8 July 2019, 01:50 AM   #11
N5XTC
"TRF" Member

OK, read the above and psychologically analyze me and evade answering the issue posted under ROLEX WATCH TECH not under PSYCHOLOGICAL COUNSELING NEEDED lol

Old 8 July 2019, 01:52 AM   #12
Tools
TRF Moderator & 2024 DATE-JUST41 Patron

Watch: GMT's
Quote:
. . . .
the forum, as usual began with the AD HOMINEM arguments (critiquing the arguer NOT the argument, in this case questions). "you expect too much", you check your watch too much, etc etc etc etc. none are intelligent answers to my queries.

SO, now that it is +7 (a bit out of +6 spec) SHOULD I regulate it since i am on vacation where there is a local AD with rolex cert watchmakers. it would take 5 days, require no mailing in either direction and cost around $50. that is where we are.

. . .
Simply because the comments you see are not what you want, it does not mean that "none are intelligent..." Since I can make decisions without a Forum, I find the answers as intelligent as the question.

If my watch was consistently running at +7 seconds per day, I would have it regulated. It seems like you have found a good watchmaker who is going to regulate it in several positions over several days and use the best mean setting. There is no "SHOULD" here, it's your watch, it's your choice.
Old 8 July 2019, 01:52 AM   #13
Jairow
"TRF" Member

Different strokes...I personally would not be happy with +7 seconds a day and would do the regulating for $50 given the opportunity you have.

If I perceive it as a risk, I’d measure that risk against the $600 for service. Based on what you described, I’d go for it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Jairow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 July 2019, 01:56 AM   #14
N5XTC
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tools View Post
Simply because the comments you see are not what you want, it does not mean that "none are intelligent..." Since I can make decisions without a Forum, I find the answers as intelligent as the question.

If my watch was consistently running at +7 seconds per day, I would have it regulated. It seems like you have found a good watchmaker who is going to regulate it in several positions over several days and use the best mean setting. There is no "SHOULD" here, it's your watch, it's your choice.
SHOW ME WHERE I SAID that because the answers were not what i want? i said some answers are AD HOMINEM which is NOT an intelligent (logical is the more accurate word here) way to answer the query. this is ROLEX TECH forum, i asked TECH questions.

NOW, this answer you posed it what i am looking for, NOW I may weigh what OPS are saying and go from there. this is the type of answer i am wishing to evaluate

"If my watch was consistently running at +7 seconds per day, I would have it regulated. It seems like you have found a good watchmaker who is going to regulate it in several positions over several days and use the best mean setting. There is no "SHOULD" here, it's your watch, it's your choice"

Old 8 July 2019, 01:58 AM   #15
N5XTC
"TRF" Member

Quote:

now i have TWO opinions to evaluate:

yours - go for it, you have a good watchmaker there

the other - not worth it to take a chance opening the case for a few seconds change, other issues may arise and you will wish you had not done this.

Old 8 July 2019, 02:02 AM   #16
Tools
TRF Moderator & 2024 DATE-JUST41 Patron

Watch: GMT's
Quote:
. . .
the other - not worth it to take a chance opening the case for a few seconds change, other issues may arise and you will wish you had not done this.
There is no magic locked up inside the caseback, it's just a lid.
Old 8 July 2019, 03:07 AM   #17
SearChart
TechXpert

Stop using your caps lock.
Bring to the watch to the AD, tell them to check it on the Witshi and clearly explain your problem, then have them regulate it. You're making too big of a deal of all this...

Quote:
There is no magic locked up inside the caseback, it's just a lid.
This.
SearChart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 July 2019, 03:48 AM   #18
padi56
"TRF" Life Patron

Quote:
Originally Posted by SearChart View Post
Stop using your caps lock.
Bring to the watch to the AD, tell them to check it on the Witshi and clearly explain your problem, then have them regulate it. You're making too big of a deal of all this...

This.
Agree Bas he is most certainly making too much of a big of a deal of all this, in real world he has two options, have it regulated or dont have it regulated.

ICom Pro3

www.mc0yad.club

Old 8 July 2019, 04:14 AM   #19
77T
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

My 2¢

Don’t have an AD at your vacation spot do a regulation. My 3 reasons:
1) It could backfire if they don’t complete the work in the promised timeframe.
2) The work might be done poorly and you’d be back home trying to deal with that additional issue.
3) You will not have the watch to enjoy while on vacation nor be able to manually adjust it to WWV or Internet Atomic Clock each morning while savoring your morning repast.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Does anyone really know what time it is?
77T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 July 2019, 05:38 AM   #20
erhein
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex
Quote:
Originally Posted by padi56 View Post
Agree Bas he is most certainly making too much of a big of a deal of all this, in real world he has two options, have it regulated or dont have it regulated.
Hmmm, two options. Coincidentally, there are two sides to a coin.
erhein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 July 2019, 05:48 AM   #21
Ashton_Horologist
"TRF" Member

Watch: 1680
Can someone just close this thread? It’s ridiculous and destroying my brain cells. Agree with the caps lock too, Bas.
Ashton_Horologist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 July 2019, 09:02 AM   #22
Abdullah71601
Banned

Watch: ing da Bears
Quote:

Get it regulated. Tell the watchmaker you’d prefer a little fast over a little slow.

Don’t make this harder than it is. Either take it in and get it regulated, or quit fussing over a few seconds a day.
Abdullah71601 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 July 2019, 10:35 AM   #23
N5XTC
"TRF" Member

thanks to all those who offered ideas and opinions of an intelligent nature. i appreciate it.

of course we know it comes down to two choices - regulate or not regulate the watch. that is a given. there is an argumental fallacy known as reductio ad absurdum wherein you reduce an argument or issue (in this instance) to the ridiculous or absurd. that is what stating "there are two sides to a coin" or it is either to regulate or not to regulate is as a form of argument.

i was asking for possible issues, or pros and cons of each given it is only +7 (+1 sec over cosc standards). that was the issue, trying hard not to use caps here. in academia we use caps to accentuate points, not to yell or show disrespect. out of habit i sometimes use caps in other instances wherein it may be interpreted negatively (as was the case here).

anyway, thanks to all who offered constructive advice. that is what the tech forum is for imop. i see all kinds of things beaten to death on the rolex forums that have far less relevance than regulating a newly purchased 10 year old rolex sub.

Old 8 July 2019, 12:10 PM   #24
Jostack
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashton_Horologist View Post
Can someone just close this thread? It’s ridiculous and destroying my brain cells. Agree with the caps lock too, Bas.

I see lots of threads that have titles that make it pretty clear that I’m not interested in reading. Some that are ambiguous are revealed as typical nonsense (in my opinion) in the first post or two. I stop reading at that point.

But yeah, close them all.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Jostack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 July 2019, 12:44 PM   #25
miniman_78
"TRF" Member

I noticed this and your other post about the submariner.

My 2c would be to not take it to the local AD where you are now but give it some time and if not satisfied get it regulated under the warranty you have later on.
But first try to see what the watch does when you put it away at night in different positions.
I had the same with my Tudor and it was running much faster then it was supposed to do in the beginning and always putting it in the same possition but now I have found, with putting in a few different possitions every other nights, I managed to have it run +0.3sec/day over a week time (and I only check the time once a week by now instead of daily).
miniman_78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 July 2019, 08:31 PM   #26
N5XTC
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by miniman_78 View Post
I noticed this and your other post about the submariner.

My 2c would be to not take it to the local AD where you are now but give it some time and if not satisfied get it regulated under the warranty you have later on.
But first try to see what the watch does when you put it away at night in different positions.
I had the same with my Tudor and it was running much faster then it was supposed to do in the beginning and always putting it in the same possition but now I have found, with putting in a few different possitions every other nights, I managed to have it run +0.3sec/day over a week time (and I only check the time once a week by now instead of daily).
others will surely become angered that this thread is continuing, so i advise them to stop reading at this point.

my sub was spot on +7 this morning, so 6 days now +7 so I believe the watch has settled in as some suggested it would. the +7 does not bother me, it was it being inconsistent when i first got her that was the issue (few days of +2.5, +4, +5 +6 and now stable at +7/24).

bec of advice garnered in this "ridiculous" thread posted in the rolex tech forum, i think i may leave it alone so as not to risk having it regulated and something else becoming an issue OR getting a watch back that is - any amt of time. i would rather have +7 than -1. really.

is your tudor +.3 sec/week because you have found a resting position to get the average down? according to the time sheet the AD gave me when they tested mine, none of the resting positions (of the 5 anyway) will get her to lose time, she gains in ALL positions, some a bit less than others, but still gains.

Old 9 July 2019, 12:22 AM   #27
miniman_78
"TRF" Member

I found that with 9 or caseback up it gains some time (on slower then the other) but with 3 or dail it loses a bit. Mostly I put it with 9 up one night and 2 nights with 3 up. If I would wear it even during the night it would run about -2sec/day now.
miniman_78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 July 2019, 02:17 AM   #28
N5XTC
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by miniman_78 View Post
I found that with 9 or caseback up it gains some time (on slower then the other) but with 3 or dail it loses a bit. Mostly I put it with 9 up one night and 2 nights with 3 up. If I would wear it even during the night it would run about -2sec/day now.
it varies by the watch. i experiment with my diff watches and fig out what works and how much for each. that irritates some folks and they claim u dont enjoy the watch bec they impose their own subjective definition of what constitutes enjoyment. for me, the technical part is enjoyment.

Old 9 July 2019, 02:32 AM   #29
Bigblu10
Banned

Quote:
it varies by the watch. i experiment with my diff watches and fig out what works and how much for each. that irritates some folks and they claim u dont enjoy the watch bec they impose their own subjective definition of what constitutes enjoyment. for me, the technical part is enjoyment.
I am curious as to your age range if you don't mind me asking?
20s, 30s, 40s, 50s 60's 70's?
Bigblu10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 July 2019, 02:35 AM   #30
N5XTC
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigblu10 View Post
I am curious as to your age range if you don't mind me asking?
20s, 30s, 40s, 50s 60's 70's?
i don't mind. i am already at risk of getting labeled on the forums for my latest posts, so no matter how i answer, to those so inclined it will become "i figured as much!" truth is i am in my 50's. not young, not old. just right.

Tags
ad regulation , regulating submarine , regulation , submariner 16610