The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 21 July 2019, 10:50 AM   #31
RHIII

Watch: AP/Rolex/PP
Quote:
Originally Posted by BNABOD View Post
Thanks, maybe it will normalize I am not sure and I hear a Rolex Boutique might be coming here but then again I won’t be at the top since I am no whale . So kind of a mute point for now ....

Completely understand.

I’ll say though. The boutique paradigm is quite a bit different from the ADs...don’t give up.

Good time for a ‘break’. Absolutely.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
RHIII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 July 2019, 10:51 AM   #32
watchmework
"TRF" Member

Watch: 126710BLRO, 116600
Quote:
It could be all over tomorrow but a 9k Watch for 18 is a hard pill to swallow even for someone that does pretty good financially. I agree the item is red hot now but it isn’t that special either . No fancy hand beveling no special markers or dial or polish to perfection it is a very robust piece yes but not 18k in my book . If Rolex priced it at 18k I would say ok then I am out because I don’t see it being 18k. So I suppose I need to move on or wait for all the speculators to get burned.
I hear you. After tax the watch is almost 10k...the way I see it, if someone is looking at purchasing this watch as their first or second luxury watch it will likely take many years to get at an AD...if they ever do. I'd be shocked if we ever see the market price of the BLRO at msrp or below, people have been waiting a long time for the SS Pepsi. I wouldn't be surprised if this watch has a similar demand as the SS Daytona, according to a couple ADs in my area they have received less Daytonas than GMTs since the release. I look at the couple of thousand extra someone would have to pay as the price of entry if someone truly wanted the piece. In the end, our time and relentless pursuit of these watches is worth some dollar amount. Sure, part of the fun is the hunt...if the hunt eventually ends

Either way, what ever you decide to do I wish you much luck.
watchmework is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 July 2019, 10:54 AM   #33
Lgear080
Banned

First red flag w your AD (at the time) was the deposit. I’m sorry, but that’s just a huge pass. I wouldn’t ask for a watch if I wasn’t ready to pay full sticker. What were they doing? Capitalizing their stagnant inventory? They certainly don’t have a trust account.
Lgear080 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 July 2019, 10:56 AM   #34
MSchott
"TRF" Member

Quote:
You are absolutely correct it is just a watch but it essentially ruins the experience of owning something which is more my complaint than not even getting the watch itself .

Do i need the watch , heck no, do I want to enjoy it once I have it yeah but to go through this nonsensical bs day in and day out for a watch is just pathetic . Look I know this is a first world problem and in the grand skim of things utterly meaningless but part of the point of a luxury purchase is the process to acquire said luxury. If I have to fly to the amazon forest and back and climb Everest for it then screw it .
If it’s so hard to get is it really worth the hassle? There are hundreds of really great watches in a similar price range as this watch. I understand the allure of Rolex but brands like Blancpain, Grand Seiko, GO, IWC, Chopard to name but a few make wonderful watches. If you can find a Chopard Pro One GMT, you will discover it’s a work of art.
MSchott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 July 2019, 10:59 AM   #35
Spartacus
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytona
There are good ADs out there, sorry this happened.

The BLRO will be around, don’t worry yours will come. Find a better AD.
Spartacus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 July 2019, 11:03 AM   #36
Tokyo Mike
Banned

Quote:
You want the politically correct response or how I truly feel ?
We know how you feel. You are not the only one who is annoyed at the shortage of SS from AD's.

You left a deposit for a watch you wanted, one of the hottest in demand SS there is. There were probably a few loyal customers who got the jump on you, regardless of the list you saw.

The deposit you left would pale in compariso, to what a few people actually spend, on a regular basis. You need more than $5000 deposit, to enter this game.

Jump in your car and put down another deposit. Three hours is nothing, if the chance is there to get the watch you want.
Tokyo Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 July 2019, 11:04 AM   #37
BNABOD
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSchott View Post
If it’s so hard to get is it really worth the hassle? There are hundreds of really great watches in a similar price range as this watch. I understand the allure of Rolex but brands like Blancpain, Grand Seiko, GO, IWC, Chopard to name but a few make wonderful watches. If you can find a Chopard Pro One GMT, you will discover it’s a work of art.

That is where I am at ....
I have a GS GMT and the craftsmanship is superb I purchased a Milgauss and the orange hand is horrendously finished (granted not visible w make eye).
That Luc pro one is really nice so thanks for the tip . Love GO but a tad too thick ...
BNABOD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 July 2019, 11:05 AM   #38
BNABOD
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tokyo Mike View Post
We know how you feel. You are not the only one who is annoyed at the shortage of SS from AD's.

You left a deposit for a watch you wanted, one of the hottest in demand SS there is. There were probably a few loyal customers who got the jump on you, regardless of the list you saw.

The deposit you left would pale in compariso, to what a few people actually spend, on a regular basis. You need more than $5000 deposit, to enter this game.

Jump in your car and put down another deposit. Three hours is nothing, if the chance is there to get the watch you want.

True on all counts ...
Old 21 July 2019, 11:06 AM   #39
Brew
"TRF" Member

Some unsecured, interest free loans pay off. Some don't.
Brew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 July 2019, 11:10 AM   #40
d11n
"TRF" Member

Watch: yes
sorry to hear, very frustrating!
d11n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 July 2019, 11:15 AM   #41
eltonbalch
"TRF" Member

So...most people can’t come up with$400 to cover a sudden emergency. Be really thankful you were able to give $5,000 in cash while you waited for a $10,000 Watch. As others have already said, there are lots of other great watches out there. Explore the possibilities and put Rolex in your rear view mirror until they get their act together!
eltonbalch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 July 2019, 11:15 AM   #42
77T
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Patience in collecting watches is a trait worth cultivating.

Today’s headwinds are often offset by tailwinds later.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Does anyone really know what time it is?
77T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 July 2019, 11:17 AM   #43
Jonathma
"TRF" Member

Watch: 126600
Sorry OP, I feel your pain. I bought my first Rolex three years ago (116610LN) when I just walked into an AD and bought it out of the case on somewhat of a whim. I’d wanted this watch for a while but we’d just had our first kid at the time and other priorities took over. On my wife and Is first “date day” after having our son, we happened into a Rolex Boutique in LA and my wife said go for it. I’ve been interested in adding other Rolexes to the collection ever since but other priorities came first.

Last year I decided I was ready for another Rolex but low and behold they were incredibly hard to come by. The same boutique I bought my sub from said it’d be 5 years for a 116500 Daytona, unless I spent a couple hundred thousand in which case I could get it much sooner. What a turn off. I’ve been looking off and on since then and I’ve been working on forming relationships with two ADs since to no real avail, yet. It’s honestly a turn off that watches are unavailable. My advice would be to not sell your collection and just take a break for a while. Seems like you love the brand and what you have so I think you’ll regret selling everything. The pendulum will eventually shift back in the other direction and hopefully you have plenty of “dry powder” accumulated at that point to get what you want. Also, think about leveraging friends you have that may have greater status at ADs who might be able to get you the watch you want.
Jonathma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 July 2019, 11:18 AM   #44
bezler
"TRF" Member

Quote:
So this isn’t the first time we have heard of unavailable watches from Rolex since it is a daily report by watch lovers and speculators alike, going to ADs leaving empty handed ....

My story is the one of someone passionate with watches (I even put some together on my own)but ready to simply call it quits with this enormous bs that is the current Rolex market.

So over 1.5 years ago in March, 3 days post Basel I put my name down w 5K cash at my local AD for the elusive blro. I was told like most that it would take a while but was #3 on their list (which was true since I ended up seeing their books later on that year). the first year the store sold at least 2 blro so I was told yup buddy next one is for you even though I was a tad suspicious and this was in Nov of last year ......so like a good puppy I waited until today.

Well, today here I go to check in and to my dismay the Rolex displays are all gone (fancy ones they were) and replaced by a ficus tree and a couch .....my suspicion is they sold out the back door and got caught

I start chatting w the head oncho which confirms that THEY just dropped Rolex since apparently they were too difficult to work with .....doubt it but whatev , gut punched and crotch kicked I asked what now? ....don’t worry a check is written and on its way to you ....k sounds good but this blows.

So here I am like a complete dumb a$$ after 1.5 year and some change waiting (some had been apparently on a list for 3 years for a Daytona and had paid in full) being told that hey sorry bud no soup for you. So I call another local ad the last one around here and they say sure but it will be five years ...fast forward an hour and after discussing w another ad 3 hours away i get to find out that the one that just told me 5 year wait is also losing its status. WTF...

So where I am at now is wanting to say F this hobby I really don’t need this crap in my life . Yeah yeah yeah go grey pay twice as much for something that isn’t a 18k product no thanks . Not a principle issue or a virtue moment simply is I work too hard to throw money out of the window.

So I pick myself up called two ads in my state that require in person deposits but they are three hours away one way. More but punch, but I am sorry i am not driving 3 hours one way to pay full deposit for a watch I might see in three years. It is a watch not a kidney.

So imho this is intended to be a fun hobby with folks that care more about the watch than making a few bucks out of it . The speculators have essentially ruined it for me.
Yeah I can go to other brands I experienced omega iwc ...and I am not interested in them anymore. Yeah I could go truly upmarket with VC but in all honesty what I want to do now is grab my decent collection and sell it all.

Maybe I will feel differently in the morning but when a hobby becomes a hassle to purchase an item for 10 grand where you have to drive 6 hours to possibly see a watch in three years or when you get screwed by your Ad then it is idiotic at best and insulting at worse .

End of rant
Thanks for the great post. You were jerked around by a bad AD, and it was definitely time for a well-deserved rant.

Good for you!

Sent from my SM-J327P using Tapatalk
Old 21 July 2019, 11:21 AM   #45
BNABOD
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 77T View Post
Patience in collecting watches is a trait worth cultivating.

Today’s headwinds are often offset by tailwinds later.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I am already feeling cooler but I sure hope you are correct..... I might take that drive 3 hours away and put some cash down or I might just look somewhere else ....I need to step back and think things through ...
Old 21 July 2019, 11:24 AM   #46
pepsiretail
Banned

Quote:
That is where I am at ....
I have a GS GMT and the craftsmanship is superb I purchased a Milgauss and the orange hand is horrendously finished (granted not visible w make eye).
That Luc pro one is really nice so thanks for the tip . Love GO but a tad too thick ...
No, now I have to go 10x loupe my Z Blue lighting hand

I could have done that yesterday when I checked my GMT hands. Perfect and clean by the way
pepsiretail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 July 2019, 11:30 AM   #47
watchmework
"TRF" Member

Watch: 126710BLRO, 116600
Frustrated to no end

Quote:
I am already feeling cooler but I sure hope you are correct..... I might take that drive 3 hours away and put some cash down or I might just look somewhere else ....I need to step back and think things through ...

I personally wouldn’t be putting down any more money down as a deposit, especially after what you just went through....come on
watchmework is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 July 2019, 11:32 AM   #48
123Blueface
"TRF" Member

Watch: All
.....and here folks lies the reason why you never, ever, give a deposit.
Old 21 July 2019, 11:40 AM   #49
Investr
Banned

Watch: Constantly changes
https://www.omegawatches.com/en-us/
Investr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 July 2019, 11:41 AM   #50
BNABOD
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 123Blueface View Post
.....and here folks lies the reason why you never, ever, give a deposit.

Why? A respectable ad could take a deposit and fulfill their side of the deal clearly i didn’t get that deal. Yet i am still getting my money back so while I could have used it to buy cookies , invest it or bury it in my yard I don’t see an issue w a deposit per say
Old 21 July 2019, 11:42 AM   #51
BNABOD
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Investr View Post

I have two for sale right now :)
and one IWC....
Old 21 July 2019, 11:43 AM   #52
BNABOD
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pepsiretail View Post
No, now I have to go 10x loupe my Z Blue lighting hand

I could have done that yesterday when I checked my GMT hands. Perfect and clean by the way

Still love the watch

Old 21 July 2019, 11:45 AM   #53
BNABOD
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bezler View Post
Thanks for the great post. You were jerked around by a bad AD, and it was definitely time for a well-deserved rant.

Good for you!

Sent from my SM-J327P using Tapatalk

Thanks i needed a good scream ...
Old 21 July 2019, 11:51 AM   #54
maxymax
"TRF" Member

Quote:
It could be all over tomorrow but a 9k Watch for 18 is a hard pill to swallow even for someone that does pretty good financially. I agree the item is red hot now but it isn’t that special either . No fancy hand beveling no special markers or dial or polish to perfection it is a very robust piece yes but not 18k in my book . If Rolex priced it at 18k I would say ok then I am out because I don’t see it being 18k. So I suppose I need to move on or wait for all the speculators to get burned.
I feel your pain as I've gone through the same (without any deposits though) and hang in there!

Exactly what you say. I just can't justify paying that much for a mass produced watch that even the manufacturer decided its retail price is half what the current market price is! Personally, I feel bad for those that paid the grey prices like its a life saver. Well, it's their choice and privilege anyway.
maxymax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 July 2019, 11:56 AM   #55
bigfatpauli
"TRF" Member

Boo hoo.

Take a deep breath and realize your a whining little a little baby over not being able to buy your luxury watch.

Go visit a third world country and live with the locals for 11 hours. Get some perspective and grow up.
bigfatpauli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 July 2019, 11:58 AM   #56
M45
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigfatpauli View Post
Boo hoo.

Take a deep breath and realize your a whining little a little baby over not being able to buy your luxury watch.

Go visit a third world country and live with the locals for 11 hours. Get some perspective and grow up.
Those warlords have the coolest watches.
M45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 July 2019, 12:06 PM   #57
BNABOD
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigfatpauli View Post
Boo hoo.

Thank you, so this isn’t a first world problem? The level of insight in your post is quite remarkable ...thanks for chiming in
Old 21 July 2019, 12:32 PM   #58
faldoc
"TRF" Member

I’d feel the same way after this much time.

I asked an AD recently to put me on a list for the same watch. No deposit.

I have no illusions, and if I ever get a call, well great. But I might never get it.

Life is too short to worry about such things.

I have other collectibles which took a year or longer to get, and one sour deal which I put $37,500 cash into recently and it fell through after 15 months.

I eventually got my money back in payments after several more months. Now that’s frustrating!

Last edited by faldoc; 21 July 2019 at 12:35 PM.. Reason: Bad abbreviation
faldoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 July 2019, 12:39 PM   #59
Locust
"TRF" Member

Watch: All
Sucks. But do you love watches, or just rolexes? If it’s the latter don’t have much sympathy. If my AD lost their status I’d still be great cause they sell a bunch of watches I love.
Locust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 July 2019, 12:40 PM   #60
broham84
"TRF" Member

There are two Rolex dealers that I work with, neither of them would take a dime from me without having the watches in stock.

This shouldn't be a reflection on the hobby or Rolex, had it been a different AD you would've gotten your watch and be over the moon happy.
broham84 is offline   Reply With Quote