The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 22 July 2019, 05:31 AM   #31
Calatrava r
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex and Patek
When you polish the watch you take off metal. Rolex only recommends two polishings during the life of the watch otherwise the sharpness of the case is lost from the metal being scraped away. A better solution where this watch is unacceptable to you is to sell this watch at a premium and buy a new one. Just leave the bracelet on and forget about putting a strap on it. If a strap is a necessary distraction for you find a Rolex qualified watchmaker to do it.
Calatrava r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 July 2019, 05:40 AM   #32
faimag
"TRF" Member

Watch: Reverso
mmm.... you mean those tiny-tiny nicks? leave as is. your watch looks very fine (those chamfers).
faimag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 July 2019, 06:04 AM   #33
Justinmg
"TRF" Member

Watch: PO
Not sure why you would be taking the bracelet off from the top? Those are not scratches anyways but small dents. If you send it to RSC for that I bet it comes back in worse condition, I’d live with it!

Does it do anything? It tells the time.
Justinmg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 July 2019, 08:03 AM   #34
mmmmp
"TRF" Member

Watch: SS Wimbledon DJ41
Quote:
Originally Posted by airchitect View Post
“Hey guys! I’m using a 100x microscope to look at my bracelet and I see a pit measuring .0124 picometers across........ should I send it for service? I can’t believe Rolex’ low QC.” Alright I’m being a jerk...

To the OP: I really am being a jerk, but you’ll do yourself a massive favor by simply accepting that dents, dings, and scratches are the name of the game.
Hell why stop there? After a cursory look through the Electron Microscope - break out the Gas Chromatograph and try to assess the metal composition, or time it was manufactured, the girl's name who did the final polish! This will be more fun than merely *wearing* the watch and telling time.

I'm also being a jerk.

Leave it be, ignore the trivialities and just enjoy the fact you havr a beautiful Rolex.

Sent from my SM-A520W using Tapatalk
mmmmp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 July 2019, 08:12 AM   #35
5nit
Banned

Watch: DJ41
Just go get it fixed and enjoy the watch. It's yours and if you want it in tip top shape go for it. That's how I am.
5nit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 July 2019, 08:50 AM   #36
daveo5
"TRF" Member

Watch: 14060M COSC
All I can say is I have my 14060M COSC in unpolished state. It is still the same as when I purchased it, when Rolex introduced it years ago. In the interim I have had it checked by Rolex trained technicians for timing and pressure testing. I have never had a technician state that it needed polishing. I would think long and hard about polishing a couple of scratches.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
daveo5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 July 2019, 09:28 AM   #37
2001jesper
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116234
Dont get people saying "get it fixed" as there is literally nothing to fix on that watch.
2001jesper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 July 2019, 09:40 AM   #38
Geo444
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16610 16570 Polar
I was very much like this with my first Rolex It is just not worth the stress, watches will always get scratched no matter you do.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
Geo444 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 July 2019, 10:33 AM   #39
faldoc
"TRF" Member

To polish the small dings will change the sharpness of the edges and the contour of the lugs.

In addition there is some risk of damage every time a watch is sent off.

There’s no way to prevent these if you are normally active.
faldoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 July 2019, 10:43 AM   #40
Flstfirider
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex, Tudor
Wear it and enjoy it....scratches are inevitable!
Flstfirider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 July 2019, 12:04 PM   #41
donq
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16610,1675,16030
Just live with it.

It will get fixed when it gets serviced.

In a month you won’t even notice it anymore.

Getting the watch worked on puts it at risk for even more damage, so save it until it’s actually needed.
donq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 July 2019, 12:16 PM   #42
csaltphoto
"TRF" Member

Watch: sub
Quote:
Originally Posted by daveo5 View Post
All I can say is I have my 14060M COSC in unpolished state. It is still the same as when I purchased it, when Rolex introduced it years ago. In the interim I have had it checked by Rolex trained technicians for timing and pressure testing. I have never had a technician state that it needed polishing. I would think long and hard about polishing a couple of scratches.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
I have one too. My first and only Rolex. It was basically in unworn condition when I received it. I was kind of blown away and half considered just putting it away for awhile. Then I came to my senses... It's not a rare or unusual watch and I bought it to wear. 6 months later it's picked up some wear but the enjoyment of wearing it daily far exceeds any occasional ding or scratch.
csaltphoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 July 2019, 12:36 PM   #43
Seibei
Banned

Watch: 114060
Those scratches are nothing to worry about. When changing straps, always have your watch upside down. You don't have to turn your watch over to change the strap, so just don't do it.
Seibei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 July 2019, 01:00 PM   #44
Bozack90
"TRF" Member

Watch: Out
leave it alone
Bozack90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 July 2019, 01:02 PM   #45
Bozack90
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 123Blueface View Post
Come on folks.
These “scratched”/“dented” threads are really getting ridiculous, specially when you have to take such a close up shot.

It’s on your wrist.
It’s a tool watch.
What on Earth makes anyone think it will remain pristine?

Enjoy the watch and when time for service comes, it will be shiny and new again. If you polish after every scratch, there will be no metal left to service eventually.
this.....murphys law, you'll get it fixed only to drop or smack it again in no time
Old 22 July 2019, 02:42 PM   #46
watchtung
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16700, bb 58, kira
To be honest I barely even see anything. If it bothers you fix it. But all it will do is make you neurotic not to get it scratched at all and then you will send it out again.

If anything wear it and get it cleaned up after it’s actually accumulated a lot of marks. I personally wouldn’t do anything anyways. But at least it’s justified if it has a lot of marks.
watchtung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 July 2019, 02:45 PM   #47
JayHantz
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: @Escapementt
Quote:
Come on folks.
These “scratched”/“dented” threads are really getting ridiculous, specially when you have to take such a close up shot.

It’s on your wrist.
It’s a tool watch.

Enjoy the watch and when time for service comes, it will be shiny and new again. If you polish after every scratch, there will be no metal left to service eventually.
JayHantz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 July 2019, 03:00 PM   #48
Kliminator
2024 Pledge Member

I world leave it
Kliminator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 July 2019, 10:23 PM   #49
Rogeroger
"TRF" Member

I look at scratches and dings as souvenirs of life with my Rolex watches.
Rogeroger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 July 2019, 01:02 AM   #50
jimcameron
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16800
Did you use a chisel and hammer on it???? My eyes are burning just looking at the photo.

Hey, I'm just kidding, it's a great looking watch, enjoy it and except under magnification no one would ever notice it.
jimcameron is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 23 July 2019, 03:52 AM   #51
Jefferyasher
"TRF" Member

I understand the frustration of dents and scratches, but if you are concerned about these types of scratches on your watch, it would probably be better to have an all plastic watch, like a G-shock. Scratches and dents are going to happen if you wear the watch. You could spend a fortune having them buffed out time after time, but it’s not worth it in the long run. These are things you simply have to get used to.
Jefferyasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 August 2019, 07:22 AM   #52
lvgeroni
"TRF" Member

Watch: Day Date 40
The scratches obviously bothers him so Iets keep our personal opinion to ourselves! His question is if RSC HK performs an excellent polishing job and to send him photos of evidence.
lvgeroni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 August 2019, 10:52 AM   #53
MCO1
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytona C white
I think I would try to let it go! I am still trying to figure out how bracelet changing marks got on top of the lugs. I do have scratches on mine underneath but I don't see them.
MCO1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 August 2019, 11:08 AM   #54
watchdawg
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT 1675
Quote:
Come on folks.

It’s on your wrist.
It’s a tool watch.

If you don’t want the occasional scratches and maybe a dent then don’t wear it keep it in a display case or a safe. Watches are meant to be worn and the scratches come with use nothing stays pristine for long if you use and wear it.
watchdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 August 2019, 11:12 AM   #55
stil

Watch: Rolex n Omega
Why are you installing the spring bars and end links from the front?
stil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 August 2019, 12:21 PM   #56
Bozack90
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calatrava r View Post
When you polish the watch you take off metal. Rolex only recommends two polishings during the life of the watch otherwise the sharpness of the case is lost from the metal being scraped away. A better solution where this watch is unacceptable to you is to sell this watch at a premium and buy a new one. Just leave the bracelet on and forget about putting a strap on it. If a strap is a necessary distraction for you find a Rolex qualified watchmaker to do it.
now I think I have read it all....where have they published that they only recommend two polish jobs in the life of a watch, or was this just something to get a rise out of folks as if so lol you got me.

As for the OP I really can barely see what your referring to, and as others have said I would just leave it as anything you do will just make it worse, make you notice other issues with it, or murphy's law will kick in and you'll hit it against a doorknob right after you pay money to fix it.

Can't speak for that service center but I once sent a watch in to get something cosmetic fixed only to have them add some scratches and after that I was super critical and upset....looking back I should have just left it for the first service and then got it sorted, instead I got upset and sold it for a loss.

I used to get worked up over this stuff and it was brutal because you'd get loads of folks on the forums saying things like "demand perfection", thankfully it seems we have some more reasonable people posting here in this thread.
Old 17 August 2019, 12:24 PM   #57
Bozack90
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geo444 View Post
I was very much like this with my first Rolex It is just not worth the stress, watches will always get scratched no matter you do.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
this
Old 17 August 2019, 01:17 PM   #58
Nikrnic
"TRF" Member

Watch: Blnr, Expll, Subs,
Are you sure you did this by changing straps? Just asking because I see you have a holes case.. I've seen much worse but if it's really bugging you send it to your RSC for a service quote and advice. Good luck..

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk
Nikrnic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 August 2019, 08:17 PM   #59
Calatrava r
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex and Patek
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bozack90 View Post
now I think I have read it all....where have they published that they only recommend two polish jobs in the life of a watch, or was this just something to get a rise out of folks as if so lol you got me.

As for the OP I really can barely see what your referring to, and as others have said I would just leave it as anything you do will just make it worse, make you notice other issues with it, or murphy's law will kick in and you'll hit it against a doorknob right after you pay money to fix it.

Can't speak for that service center but I once sent a watch in to get something cosmetic fixed only to have them add some scratches and after that I was super critical and upset....looking back I should have just left it for the first service and then got it sorted, instead I got upset and sold it for a loss.

I used to get worked up over this stuff and it was brutal because you'd get loads of folks on the forums saying things like "demand perfection", thankfully it seems we have some more reasonable people posting here in this thread.
I scratched one of mine watches and called Rolex about a polish. They told me I could not get it polished until a service was do and they really only recommend two polishes to protect the metal. Nothing published. Just what I was told. Seems like you still do "get worked up over this stuff"
Calatrava r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 August 2019, 10:07 PM   #60
jimcameron
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16800
It's ruined, throw it in the trash.
jimcameron is online now   Reply With Quote