The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 22 July 2019, 03:09 AM   #1
burnthesehills
"TRF" Member

OK this is getting ridiculous

I have to think that some resellers are testing the upper stratosphere of pricing or just hoping to get lucky. Nearly 10K over list for a USED BLNR?? I have to think that even the very wealthy, just as a matter of principle, would not pay this type of money. I personally would feel taken advantage of if I was paying over double list price.

Yeah I get all that jazz about supply and demand and about some people having disposable income and wanting what they want NOW. But it’s just silly IMO.

This is from thewatchbox.com

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
burnthesehills is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 July 2019, 03:10 AM   #2
Art 1
Banned

Watch: Rol/Seik/Tud/Omega
I agree. It's just my feeling that these watches will become easier to find at AD's.
Art 1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 July 2019, 03:15 AM   #3
watchmework
"TRF" Member

Watch: 126710BLRO, 116600
Hey Joe, this is by no means the upper stratosphere for pricing...when these were first released they went for 20-21k. You can get one of these for 17k now from the trusted sellers or the classifieds section on TRF. If it's too much for you then suggest you build a relationship with your AD or move along.

I wouldn't make assumptions based off who you think would or would not buy the new GMTs as I don't think it's necessarily the "very wealthy" that are the only ones picking up this watch.
watchmework is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 July 2019, 03:15 AM   #4
Fleetlord
"TRF" Member

That's the market price....until it isn't.
Fleetlord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 July 2019, 03:16 AM   #5
Etschell
"TRF" Member

Watch: platinum sub
Wont sell for that FWIW.

25 or 6 to 4.
Etschell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 July 2019, 03:32 AM   #6
burnthesehills
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by watchmework View Post
Hey Joe, this is by no means the upper stratosphere for pricing...when these were first released they went for 20-21k. You can get one of these for 17k now from the trusted sellers or the classifieds section on TRF. If it's too much for you then suggest you build a relationship with your AD or move along.

I wouldn't make assumptions based off who you think would or would not buy the new GMTs as I don't think it's necessarily the "very wealthy" that are the only ones picking up this watch.
I appreciate your opinion, but I’m just calling it like I see it. And yes, I am making assumptions/speculating. Because I’m confused who would shell out this type of money over list for a used watch.

As for my “very wealthy” comment. I guess it just depends on what we consider very wealthy. I have to think that if someone has 20 grand to spend on a used watch, they are probably not falling in the median income bracket. My point was more along the lines of, even if I had the means to buy such a watch, I personally would pass based on principle alone. I have no issue with someone putting down 30 or 40 grand on a PM Rolex. I just can’t connect with the idea of paying this much over list because it’s a hyped up “hot model”.

But I understand where you’re coming from. And I’m sure there are people buying them at this price
burnthesehills is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 July 2019, 04:12 AM   #7
BNABOD
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by burnthesehills View Post
I appreciate your opinion, but I’m just calling it like I see it. And yes, I am making assumptions/speculating. Because I’m confused who would shell out this type of money over list for a used watch.

As for my “very wealthy” comment. I guess it just depends on what we consider very wealthy. I have to think that if someone has 20 grand to spend on a used watch, they are probably not falling in the median income bracket. My point was more along the lines of, even if I had the means to buy such a watch, I personally would pass based on principle alone. I have no issue with someone putting down 30 or 40 grand on a PM Rolex. I just can’t connect with the idea of paying this much over list because it’s a hyped up “hot model”.

But I understand where you’re coming from. And I’m sure there are people buying them at this price

I am right there with you . To me it isn’t an 18k watch but appreciate some might think it is and they might pay it but not me which is why I don’t have one
BNABOD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 July 2019, 04:23 AM   #8
AJMarcus
"TRF" Member

Watch: Swiss
Whoa. If you get the No Care plan it’s a bargain.
AJMarcus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 July 2019, 04:27 AM   #9
Wristwatchcheck
"TRF" Member

Quote:

Completely agree. Most wealthy would not buy at this price out of principle.
Anyone smart with money would not buy at this price.
Warren Buffett still goes to the same $20 barber since he was a teenage.
Wristwatchcheck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 July 2019, 04:29 AM   #10
brandrea
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: es make me smile
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fleetlord View Post
Pretty much.
brandrea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 July 2019, 04:35 AM   #11
dxbtousa
"TRF" Member

Watches will continue to sell at those prices while the demand is there. Simple supply and demand factors.

With the amount of new money chasing "hard to get" watches, and supply remaining constant; the price will only go up if anything.
dxbtousa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 July 2019, 04:49 AM   #12
DoctorA
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fleetlord View Post
This sums it up!
Old 22 July 2019, 04:50 AM   #13
minute_man
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: BoctokKomandirskie
That's an asking price. I doesn't necessarily mean it will fetch that much.
But totally agree with you, OP this is getting ridiculous with the black market prices.
Being probably in the minority on this here, I am glad that someone else makes the point of principle.
For affluent individuals, adherence to principles has been a contributing factor to their success.
Cannot and will not pass judgement on anyone choosing to go down the black market route just because it's something I wouldn't do. Their desire, their call.
I simply don't think these watches are worth this money, not feeling it.
For those who do however, more power and may you enjoy your watches in great health; keep those wrist shots coming
minute_man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 July 2019, 04:57 AM   #14
LeftCoastBias
"TRF" Member

Watch: I AM BATMAN
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wristwatchcheck View Post
Completely agree. Most wealthy would not buy at this price out of principle.
Anyone smart with money would not buy at this price.
Warren Buffett still goes to the same $20 barber since he was a teenage.
There’s no way that barber is still alive, and if he is... he’s not to be trusted with sharp objects.

...it just gets more random and obscure from there...
LeftCoastBias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 July 2019, 04:59 AM   #15
Calatrava r
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex and Patek
I heard from Govberg's you tube show that one sold for 28K, so they must be tanking in price if the ask is now only 18K.
Calatrava r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 July 2019, 04:59 AM   #16
Robtayham
"TRF" Member

Paul Newman’s used Daytona went for almost $17 million more than the MSRP of a new one. The reseller’s market is different than the AD retail market.
Robtayham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 July 2019, 05:00 AM   #17
Calatrava r
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex and Patek
Quote:
Originally Posted by minute_man View Post
That's an asking price. I doesn't necessarily mean it will fetch that much.
But totally agree with you, OP this is getting ridiculous with the black market prices.
Being probably in the minority on this here, I am glad that someone else makes the point of principle.
For affluent individuals, adherence to principles has been a contributing factor to their success.
Cannot and will not pass judgement on anyone choosing to go down the black market route just because it's something I wouldn't do. Their desire, their call.
I simply don't think these watches are worth this money, not feeling it.
For those who do however, more power and may you enjoy your watches in great health; keep those wrist shots coming
black market... are you suggesting they are fake or stolen.
Calatrava r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 July 2019, 05:01 AM   #18
fsprow
"TRF" Member

Watch: Patek 5168, 5170P
Just to put pricing of desired objects in perspective, the new Ferrari SF90 Stradale lists at about $600,000 and people are already buying options to buy for another $600,000. So perhaps double the list price is the new normal!
��
fsprow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 July 2019, 05:02 AM   #19
The Libertine
Banned

Watch: 16710;14060;214270
I mean, I would strongly consider it if they include the “care plan” in the pricing......
The Libertine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 July 2019, 05:04 AM   #20
mactruck
"TRF" Member

Any watch over $20k should me made of solid Gold.
mactruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 July 2019, 05:08 AM   #21
minute_man
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: BoctokKomandirskie
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calatrava r View Post
black market... are you suggesting they are fake or stolen.
Not at all.

It's a deliberate stretch on my part to stress out the exorbitant prices on second hand rare commodities. Just my opinion.
minute_man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 July 2019, 05:19 AM   #22
Luke@TRF
"TRF" Member

Perhaps just a gimmick to drive up the price but in reality they sell below the listing price?
Luke@TRF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 July 2019, 05:46 AM   #23
faimag
"TRF" Member

Watch: Reverso
Silly or not, it's the market price.
faimag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 July 2019, 05:51 AM   #24
Aceldama
"TRF" Member

Watch: Dads Omega Cal 601
If it’s priced too high, it will sit forever. I visit a used shop to stare at a beautiful 1655 that is almost double the going rate. Been there for 5 years. Probably be there 5 more.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Aceldama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 July 2019, 05:51 AM   #25
hoot504
"TRF" Member

I think you can come close to making an objective argument about the stupidity of this behavior.

For $20k, you're entering Lange and VC territory.

Passing on a similarly priced VC Overseas (or similarly priced holy trinity model, pick your poison) to pick up a BLNR is pretty much objective stupidity.
hoot504 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 July 2019, 05:56 AM   #26
Wahlberg
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fsprow View Post
Just to put pricing of desired objects in perspective, the new Ferrari SF90 Stradale lists at about $600,000 and people are already buying options to buy for another $600,000. So perhaps double the list price is the new normal!
��
Like people did with the GT3 RS and then they got screwed because the hype went away.

Then again, Ferrari is something else and will always be special.
Wahlberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 July 2019, 05:59 AM   #27
BNABOD
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoot504 View Post
I think you can come close to making an objective argument about the stupidity of this behavior.

For $20k, you're entering Lange and VC territory.

Passing on a similarly priced VC Overseas (or similarly priced holy trinity model, pick your poison) to pick up a BLNR is pretty much objective stupidity.

This is where I am at . The value prop of Rolex goes down the drain when the price watches comes close or above VC. I am sorry but the two manufacturer while producing very different products in very different volumes are worlds apart in refinement. Sure Rolex will hold its value better but for it to be considered in the same price range is getting nuts ...
Never thought I would buy a watch > 10k but my recent blro experience is pushing me closer to VC than I had ever considered before.
BNABOD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 July 2019, 06:05 AM   #28
5nit
Banned

Watch: DJ41
Canadian $

https://vancouver.craigslist.org/van...933519617.html
5nit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 July 2019, 06:10 AM   #29
LooseCann0n
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytona,Pepsi,SD4K

Quote:
My point was more along the lines of, even if I had the means to buy such a watch, I personally would pass based on principle alone.

There are evidently people buying at this price, or slightly below - don’t see that many would care of the “principle” argument (agree that if you wouldn’t, then you should pass) but there are many that see this as just the market price. This is no different to getting a Coca Cola in an exclusive nightclub, it is £10 and sure, it is £1 in the shop down the road but that is the price here..
LooseCann0n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 July 2019, 06:30 AM   #30
Carry The Interest
"TRF" Member

Watch: RLX, ALS
Quote:
Originally Posted by 5nit View Post
Looking forward to the updated listing at a lower price
Carry The Interest is offline   Reply With Quote