The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Ω Omega Discussion Forum

Old 2 March 2021, 10:11 PM   #1
Minimalist
"TRF" Member

SMP Issue - Need Some Advice

Hello All,

Need some of your input.

Only a week ago I posted my incoming of my new SMP 300m Diver. I was very happy with it.

However, Sunday night I noticed a blemish on the dial, you can see it at the 13 minute marker. I cleaned the sapphire thinking it was a smudge that was casting a shadow but after giving the sapphire a thorough clean it's obvious it's on the dial.

To add some background, I received my first SMP some 2 weeks ago and on taking it out of the box I immediately noticed a defect on the bezel. I called the AD and they were very good about it and sorted out a replacement immediately which they ordered from Omega, a week later I had it on the wrist as per my incoming thread.

So far I'm not impressed with Omega's QC. I've tried not to let it bother me but let's be honest, it does. Even my Seiko SKX007 didn't have any issues and that's a $200 watch.

Monday I called Omega directly to discuss with them the issue, and while the lady there explained to me they deal with more of mechanical issues under warranty and not cosmetic issues I can try and send it in to them and see what they can offer i.e. a dial replacement but she wasn't able to comment further due to the fact she was new there. She explained that my first port of call should be the AD and I didn't disagree, but I thought it's Omega's issue so why keeping going to the middle man.

Thinking about it, I really wouldn't be happy with a dial replacement on a brand new watch.

I'm not the kind of person who actively seeks out defects etc, and I don't take macro photos and the loupe I own is the one I just got with my Speedy last month and that isn't that great for detail either. All these defects/blemishes were seen with the eye at 1-2 foot of distance.

Before I make my move I'd like to hear some the thoughts of you guys, as I've kind of made a decision but want to see whether I am in the majority or minority....or if I'm just being OCD and overly sensitive. Personally I don't think I am and expect better for paying $$$ for a watch.

Pictures taken are with mobile phone, so nothing special.

Wait to hear what you guys think.

Thanks,
M.

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk
Minimalist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 March 2021, 11:35 PM   #2
samson66
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: my money leaving!
Honestly I wouldn't worry about it but I'm not you. If it bothers you have it taken care of. That's what warranties are for.

Are you sure the issue is on the dial and not the underside of the crystal?
samson66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 March 2021, 03:32 AM   #3
OrangeKenny
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16570 Polar
If it bothers you, send it back. Direct to Omega if you dont want to trouble the AD again.
Use the warranty
OrangeKenny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 March 2021, 03:42 AM   #4
Minimalist
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by samson66 View Post
Honestly I wouldn't worry about it but I'm not you. If it bothers you have it taken care of. That's what warranties are for.

Are you sure the issue is on the dial and not the underside of the crystal?
That's a good point Mike and did make sure of this before posting, I am certain the mark is on the dial, as when I look at it from different angles the mark stays in the same place...if it was underside of sapphire this wouldn't be the case.
Old 3 March 2021, 04:03 AM   #5
HHIslander
"TRF" Member

Quote:
+1. You paid a large sum for a nice watch, use the warranty if it bothers you.

It looks like the paint on the dial is the issue. Dust during drying? IDK.

Let us know how it turns out please. Curious as to how they handle it.
HHIslander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 March 2021, 04:08 AM   #6
samson66
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: my money leaving!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minimalist View Post
That's a good point Mike and did make sure of this before posting, I am certain the mark is on the dial, as when I look at it from different angles the mark stays in the same place...if it was underside of sapphire this wouldn't be the case.
If it was on the crystal I would probably just live with it and let them get it at the first service. But if we are talking about a dial replacement best to just have them do it now under warranty.

Never had any issues with either of my Omegas, both of which came to me pre-owned. Surprised you found QC problems. Just bad luck I guess
samson66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 March 2021, 04:19 AM   #7
shaunylw
"TRF" Member

That would irritate me. I would have omega fix it. Now that you have seen it, you won’t be able to forget about it. I’m pretty easy going and scratches don’t bother me, but that would drive me nuts.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
shaunylw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 March 2021, 04:19 AM   #8
1William
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex/Others
Bad run of luck and my experience with both modern Omega's and vintage ones are that there are not many issues. You have a great watch and it just needs to get sorted out. I would take it back to the AD and have them take care of it for you through Omega. If that is a new dial, then so be it. If it is a new watch, all the better. I think this is why we have middlemen and let them earn the considerable sum you paid. I would not get down on the brand I would just move on and enjoy your Speedy while it gest sorted. Good luck and let us know how it works out.
1William is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 March 2021, 04:39 AM   #9
Minimalist
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HHIslander View Post
+1. You paid a large sum for a nice watch, use the warranty if it bothers you.

It looks like the paint on the dial is the issue. Dust during drying? IDK.

Let us know how it turns out please. Curious as to how they handle it.
This is kind of what it looks like to me, as if paint is missing... But I thought these being ceramic dials they weren't painted but the ceramic was the finish... Idk.
Old 3 March 2021, 04:40 AM   #10
Minimalist
"TRF" Member

Quote:
If it was on the crystal I would probably just live with it and let them get it at the first service. But if we are talking about a dial replacement best to just have them do it now under warranty.

Never had any issues with either of my Omegas, both of which came to me pre-owned. Surprised you found QC problems. Just bad luck I guess
Agree, if it was crystal I would be less bothered, but still bothered somewhat. And yes bad luck indeed
Old 3 March 2021, 04:43 AM   #11
Minimalist
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by shaunylw View Post
That would irritate me. I would have omega fix it. Now that you have seen it, you won’t be able to forget about it. I’m pretty easy going and scratches don’t bother me, but that would drive me nuts.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
This is exactly my problem. Like you scratches I can live with and anything I do to the watch during my ownership. As a new watch it is driving me nuts, as everytime I look at the watch for the time my eyes goes straight to the 13 minute marker and I forget to actually check the time!
Old 3 March 2021, 04:44 AM   #12
Minimalist
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1William View Post
Bad run of luck and my experience with both modern Omega's and vintage ones are that there are not many issues. You have a great watch and it just needs to get sorted out. I would take it back to the AD and have them take care of it for you through Omega. If that is a new dial, then so be it. If it is a new watch, all the better. I think this is why we have middlemen and let them earn the considerable sum you paid. I would not get down on the brand I would just move on and enjoy your Speedy while it gest sorted. Good luck and let us know how it works out.
I've got in touch with the AD and my SA will speak with his manager tomorrow as he was not in the store today. Will let you know the outcome over the next day or so.
Old 3 March 2021, 05:35 AM   #13
OrangeKenny
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16570 Polar
I had a similar issue with a 5 digit rolex. Bit of dust on the dial. I lived with it for 3 years (in rotation, I’m not one of those one watch psychos!) telling myself I wasn’t bothered by it. Got it sorted during a regular service, and I enjoy the watch much more now. Looking back I should have sent it in for an early service.
OrangeKenny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 March 2021, 06:11 AM   #14
Stevec14
"TRF" Member

Watch: 321, Snoopy 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minimalist View Post
I've got in touch with the AD and my SA will speak with his manager tomorrow as he was not in the store today. Will let you know the outcome over the next day or so.
They’ll sort it. It sucks but that’s what the warranty is for. Hope it comes back soon and sorted
Stevec14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 March 2021, 07:01 AM   #15
shalako
"TRF" Member

You should of course go back to the AD, your the innocent party here so why should you live with it, we pay top money for quality and perfection with these brands like Omega who clearly need to improve on their QC otherwise we might as well just spend a few hundred pounds/dollars on a watch like most folk.
They should be suitably embarrassed, Omega and the AD that they should also compensate you in some way for the inconvenience with a nice strap or an Omega pen for example.
shalako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 March 2021, 10:51 PM   #16
cjcarter134
"TRF" Member

OP I believe you're more than fine with your line of thinking. I'm confident you'll get a favorable response from your AD. Good luck with getting things sorted out.
cjcarter134 is offline   Reply With Quote