The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Old 23 February 2021, 02:16 PM   #1
cronos
"TRF" Member

Rolex has a 7 year plan

According to to a letter from "Moneypenny".

cronos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 February 2021, 02:23 PM   #2
garyk
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Daytona
Quote:
Originally Posted by cronos View Post

Ok, right!?
Old 23 February 2021, 02:28 PM   #3
drfrankenstein
"TRF" Member

more to look forward to - fantastic
drfrankenstein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 February 2021, 02:30 PM   #4
TheVTCGuy
Banned

Watch: 126619LB
Interesting theories, every watch having a 70 hour reserve? OK, Moving the coronet to-the bottom of the dial? Uhmm..... Rolex reducing the number of SS sport models even more? Hmm....
TheVTCGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 February 2021, 02:33 PM   #5
Milibrk@
"TRF" Member

cool..SS daytona worths 100k coming soon.
Milibrk@ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 February 2021, 02:40 PM   #6
cronos
"TRF" Member

Steel Rolex Watches Doomed?

Old 23 February 2021, 02:46 PM   #7
kieselguhr
"TRF" Member

Watch: 1601
Rolex has a 7 year plan

Wasn’t he presented with fairly accurate information from the same insider in a thread about the change to Submariner dimensions?

Though it’s a rumor until it actually happens
kieselguhr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 February 2021, 02:53 PM   #8
De light
Banned

Oh they do? I didn't know.
De light is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 February 2021, 03:03 PM   #9
cronos
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kieselguhr View Post
Wasn’t he presented with fairly accurate information from the same insider in a thread about the change to Submariner dimensions?
Old 23 February 2021, 03:05 PM   #10
Krash
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Sub, DJ41, GMT
He nailed the Submariner release. Everyone was laughing at it, but everything in that video turned out true.
Krash is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 23 February 2021, 03:31 PM   #11
fishingbear
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: GMTsSubLVEx2SDDayt
Hahahahaha hahahahaha
fishingbear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 February 2021, 03:37 PM   #12
mimariani
"TRF" Member

Watch: Sub
IF true, Very interesting.
Date Just 41 - 126334
Sub - 14060m 2 liner
Tudor S&G
mimariani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 February 2021, 04:01 PM   #13
Polar Bear
"TRF" Member

Watch: Panerai PAM687
More Margins in PM and TT pieces, I imagine
Wouldn't be shocked if they wind back SS supply further.
If the Grey Market is anything to go by, demand doesn't seem to be slowing down

I've heard a few people say that Rolex has its eyes set on the Patek tier of the luxury goods market.
Would be interesting to see if they can pull it off.
It wouldn't be the first time a brand has elevated itself to the top luxury tier based on brand recognition and hype alone
Polar Bear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 February 2021, 04:09 PM   #14
Fleetlord
"TRF" Member

I'm not so sure about the coronet change, but I completely agree with the shift to TT and PM.

I think up until recently, Rolex has been underselling itself. As shocking as that sounds, the over abundance of lower cost and available steel references held back the higher price and higher factory margin TT and PM references.

The general public Rolex buyer had a perception that a Rolex cost $XX,XXX on average. When they stumbled into the AD, they came across models that were $X,XXX. WOW that's a value. Let's get that. That's why the higher priced watches languished.

Now that the lower cost references are not as available, the full power of the brand has been unleashed. The cost of the TT and PM watches are in line with expectations and there aren't SS alternatives available....and those are "worth" so much money now that the FOMO mindset is hitting all Rolex references, so even people who were averse to PM due to history of PM depreciation are not concerned with that any more. Money is SAFE in Rolex. Let's buy it.

The hardcore enthusiast buyer who craves SS for it's lore and WIS appeal will still seek to acquire those references no matter what. The the general public buyer will spend up to T and PM without distraction and hesitation because that's what they have to choose from and the retail price is in line with expectations. Great Success for Rolex!
Fleetlord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 February 2021, 04:46 PM   #15
teck21
"TRF" Member

Watch: Tudor Black Bay 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fleetlord View Post
I'm not so sure about the coronet change, but I completely agree with the shift to TT and PM.

I think up until recently, Rolex has been underselling itself. As shocking as that sounds, the over abundance of lower cost and available steel references held back the higher price and higher factory margin TT and PM references.

The general public Rolex buyer had a perception that a Rolex cost $XX,XXX on average. When they stumbled into the AD, they came across models that were $X,XXX. WOW that's a value. Let's get that. That's why the higher priced watches languished.

Now that the lower cost references are not as available, the full power of the brand has been unleashed. The cost of the TT and PM watches are in line with expectations and there aren't SS alternatives available....and those are "worth" so much money now that the FOMO mindset is hitting all Rolex references, so even people who were averse to PM due to history of PM depreciation are not concerned with that any more. Money is SAFE in Rolex. Let's buy it.

The hardcore enthusiast buyer who craves SS for it's lore and WIS appeal will still seek to acquire those references no matter what. The the general public buyer will spend up to T and PM without distraction and hesitation because that's what they have to choose from and the retail price is in line with expectations. Great Success for Rolex!

Spot on as usual.

It’s really funny how people bang on about how Rolex is ‘no Patek’ and refuse to pony up.

They’re right, it’s no Patek. Patek is a very special fish in the pond, but it is Rolex that rules the pond.

Every Rolex today is cheap and grossly underpriced. Get yours today.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
teck21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 February 2021, 05:12 PM   #16
NorthboundRolex
Banned

Watch: Hulk,SD43,YM2,JCDS
I saw a follow-up on a live stream after this youtube vid was posted where Marc Goldberg further clarified that the MAIN cornet on the top of the dial below the 12 o'clock mark will stay where it is. What he meant to say was with the introduction of the new 70 hr power reserve movements in all their models, Rolex will be putting the small cornet between the words SWISS and MADE on all their dials.

The phasing out of stainless steel models wouldn't surprise me as they are trying to push that market into their Tudor brand.

Personally, if this happens, I have no interest in their Tudor line whatsoever.
NorthboundRolex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 February 2021, 05:38 PM   #17
sgwatchguy
"TRF" Member

Watch: R/AP/FPJ/Hermès/et
Quote:
Originally Posted by teck21 View Post
Spot on as usual.

It’s really funny how people bang on about how Rolex is ‘no Patek’ and refuse to pony up.

They’re right, it’s no Patek. Patek is a very special fish in the pond, but it is Rolex that rules the pond.

Every Rolex today is cheap and grossly underpriced. Get yours today.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote:

+2

We can all come back to this thread in 5 years and see how much of this came true, but fact is that supplanting another brand isn’t as impossible an ask as people make it out to be. Put in the money and everything’s possible.
Old 23 February 2021, 06:15 PM   #18
kieselguhr
"TRF" Member

Watch: 1601
Quote:
I think up until recently, Rolex has been underselling itself.

I think you are right. In its current iteration, Rolex has long transcended its “tool watch” origin but its price at retail has lagged behind significantly.
kieselguhr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 February 2021, 06:43 PM   #19
Manamana
"TRF" Member

Quote:

Manamana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 February 2021, 06:52 PM   #20
BLNR Nairobi
"TRF" Member

Watch: All of them.
Maybe it now makes sense why the ‘tool watch of tool watches,’ the SeaDweller, now has a two-tone gold variant!
BLNR Nairobi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 February 2021, 08:42 PM   #21
fskywalker
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Is Ticking !
Quote:
Originally Posted by cronos View Post

Thanks for sharing !

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Zenith 02.470.405
Henry Archer Eclipse

2FA security enabled
fskywalker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 23 February 2021, 10:25 PM   #22
JodyHighroller
Banned

I think he misinterpreted moving the coronet to six o’clock when in reality it’s the “Swiss(crown)Made” change. I’ve never watched his videos before until this one. I didn’t finish it as he gave me weird vibes. This thread is right to be in this jokes and cartoon subforum lol.

Nonetheless, Fleetlord’s post presents some very interesting theories.
JodyHighroller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 February 2021, 12:01 AM   #23
rmagoo57
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: GMT II/Sub/Exp II
I don't think SS will be extinct anytime soon. I can't see the Sub and Explorer lines (for example) going totally TT or PM. These "tools" are designed and built for rugged, hard working people, not the office or boardroom. I guess they could rebrand the SS models as Tudors and reserve the Rolex name for TT and PM's??
rmagoo57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 February 2021, 11:49 AM   #24
drfrankenstein
"TRF" Member

Quote:

This is all manufactured by Rolex though. It’s not like they can’t fill orders fast enough, they are literally choosing not to. It’s not like you can bet against them but I’m not convinced they are heading in the right direction. Too much consolidation.
drfrankenstein is offline   Reply With Quote