The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Old 13 January 2017, 12:26 PM   #1
Sagee
"TRF" Member

Advice on 1675

In the market for a 1675 and have been reading and learning so much on TRF. Still having read all of the threads on dial variations I can't seem to place this one. Serial is 1.6mil but this doesn't look like a MK1 dial to my untrained eye. Can someone out there help me place this dial? Also does the bezel insert seem period correct? These are the only pictures I have at the time. Thanks in advance!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Screen Shot 2017-01-12 at 9.19.09 PM.jpg (74.0 KB, 312 views)
File Type: jpg Screen Shot 2017-01-12 at 9.19.34 PM.jpg (84.7 KB, 323 views)
File Type: jpg Screen Shot 2017-01-12 at 9.20.03 PM.jpg (36.3 KB, 321 views)
Sagee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 January 2017, 01:41 PM   #2
Michael M.
Banned

Dial is a later service replacement.
Michael M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 January 2017, 02:37 PM   #3
springer
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: GMT-MASTER
The dial is a Mark V from the late 1970s. You'll find this was used as a service dial on many of the 1960s watches.

INSTAGRAM USER NAME: SPRINGERJFP
Visit my Instagram page to view some of the finest vintage GMTs anywhere - as well as other vintage classics.
springer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 January 2017, 09:32 PM   #4
Sagee
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by springer View Post
The dial is a Mark V from the late 1970s. You'll find this was used as a service dial on many of the 1960s watches.
Thank you both for the fast responses. Does this devalue the watch significantly?
Old 14 January 2017, 03:51 AM   #5
Michael M.
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sagee View Post
Thank you both for the fast responses. Does this devalue the watch significantly?
Yes. I would say by at least 30% (conservatively).
Michael M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 January 2017, 04:39 AM   #6
Tom1675
"TRF" Member

The insert looks to be in great shape... it could be a replacement as well.
Tom1675 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 January 2017, 04:58 AM   #7
JerimiahLee
"TRF" Member

Watch: 5513 Meters 1st
Agree with John and Michael. Service dial.
JerimiahLee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 January 2017, 07:50 AM   #8
springer
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sagee View Post
In answer to your question, and by doing the math, I would say no - it does not devalue the watch significantly. If the watch is valued at $9,000 - factor in the price of a correct dial which is around $1,000. Sell the dial in the watch for $750 or more and the price difference is minimal and not significant at all.

Additionally, you might need to source different hands for that Mark I replacement dial so figure around $500 - $750 for hands. Dial and hands would run around $1500 + or - a little either way.

Sell the dial and hands in the watch for $1200 or more and the difference it makes again - is minimal.

Hope that helps.

Visit my Instagram page to view some of the finest vintage GMTs anywhere - as well as other vintage classics.
Old 14 January 2017, 09:51 AM   #9
swish77
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing the time!
Assuming the GMT is for sale and you're considering buying it ... You could always leave the watch alone and use your knowledge to bargain. What's the asking price?

I might be in the minority, but I'd have no problem with that watch as is, as long as the price is fair for a 1675 with a nice service dial. It's got a great look, with very nice matching patina. Good luck!
swish77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 January 2017, 09:56 AM   #10
RC2
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex 1675
Watch looks great as is. Just get for a good price like springer said.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Member of Nylon Nation
Red Sox Nation
Instagram watchguy97
RC2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 January 2017, 03:15 PM   #11
Sagee
"TRF" Member

This is why I love this forum. You guys are awesome. I agree, the watch looks great as is, I just want to make sure I wouldn't be 1. Overpaying or 2. Ending up in a situation where it bothers me and then I end up sourcing the correct dial/hand combo and then be out more than I would of had I just bought a better 1675 example time piece in the first place.
Old 15 January 2017, 12:31 AM   #12
billydgates
"TRF" Member

If you don't mind me asking, how much are they asking for it?
billydgates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 January 2017, 06:02 AM   #13
Sagee
"TRF" Member

Asking price is a little under 9k.
Old 15 January 2017, 07:53 AM   #14
freefly
"TRF" Member

Watch: 4&5-digit Sub/GMTs
Wow, nice watch!

That would be mine.

As confirmed above (and disclosed to the OP), the dial is a Mk.V service dial (or Mk."X" if you were around prior to JP's excellent 1675 dial info revision/update ).
From the info I gathered, it was replaced during a factory service in the late 70's/early 80's. I suppose I am "technically" the 2nd owner (purchased it from the heir of the original owner), and was told it spent most of it's life tucked away shortly after being serviced.

The only thing I am not 100% on is the insert. I was told it "may" have been replaced during the service, but they weren't sure. It looks period-correct to me (medium font, red back, serifs, etc.), but I am not as well versed in the different 1675 insert variants to know for sure. Either way, it's in excellent shape, and hasn't been chemically-altered (to induce fake patina/fading) like so many of them out there today.

Any further info by the 1675 pros would be welcome!
freefly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 January 2017, 08:02 AM   #15
freefly
"TRF" Member

Quote:
In answer to your question, and by doing the math, I would say no - it does not devalue the watch significantly. If the watch is valued at $9,000 - factor in the price of a correct dial which is around $1,000. Sell the dial in the watch for $750 or more and the price difference is minimal and not significant at all.

Additionally, you might need to source different hands for that Mark I replacement dial so figure around $500 - $750 for hands. Dial and hands would run around $1500 + or - a little either way.

Sell the dial and hands in the watch for $1200 or more and the difference it makes again - is minimal.
Sounds about right. However, I bet a savvy buyer may be able to break even, or possibly come out ahead if swapping parts (the existing dial is in excellent shape).

Also, glad to know I am not too far off on value either (currently priced @ $8750).
If my good man Sagee and I don't reach an agreement, I will likely be listing it here (good excuse to ante up for this year's pledge membership anyway).

Although, with JP's "blessing" how could he not buy it now?
Old 15 January 2017, 08:57 AM   #16
springer
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:

Sounds about right. However, I bet a savvy buyer may be able to break even, or possibly come out ahead if swapping parts (the existing dial is in excellent shape).

Also, glad to know I am not too far off on value either (currently priced @ $8750).
If my good man Sagee and I don't reach an agreement, I will likely be listing it here (good excuse to ante up for this year's pledge membership anyway).

Although, with JP's "blessing" how could he not buy it now?

__________________________________________________ _________

I believe my comments were misinterpreted in my quote noted here. I said "IF THE WATCH IS VALUED AT $9,000" only to make a point and used that figure as an example to indicate that the incorrect dial does not "substantially" affect the value.

Value is based on the condition, sum of the parts and originality of the watch/parts. The asking price is not my business, nor is the selling price.

Old 15 January 2017, 11:39 AM   #17
freefly
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Value is based on the condition, sum of the parts and originality of the watch/parts. The asking price is not my business, nor is the selling price.
Agreed. If a transaction were to be completed with the OP, the selling price would remain confidential on my end (what the buyer discloses after-sale is his/her business).

Also, I wasn't trying to insinuate that you were offering a specific valuation on it. Only that you were using a ball-park figure as an example, and my asking price is not too far off of that figure.
Old 15 January 2017, 11:51 AM   #18
freefly
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by swish77 View Post
I might be in the minority, but I'd have no problem with that watch as is, as long as the price is fair for a 1675 with a nice service dial. It's got a great look, with very nice matching patina.
Biased as I may be here, I tend to agree. While it's ultimately up to the next caretaker on what to do with it, I think that in some ways replacing the dial on this particular piece sort of breaks the watch's "lineage" so-to-speak.
Yes it has a service dial, but it was installed by Rolex decades ago when the original owner still had the watch. That being said, I probably wouldn't hesitate to swap it out had it been serviced more recently and fitted with Luminova service dial instead. YMMV, just my $.02.