The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Vintage Rolex Discussion

Old 5 September 2016, 05:26 AM   #1
Rothstein1928
"TRF" Member

6056, 4220....advice please on 30mm models

Can someone please advise which other models , if any, are of the same size and design as the 6056 Speedking type watch ? 30mm

Unable to find the exact one I require, I am considering trying to obtain all the necessary parts and having someone build me the watch I want !

I'm presuming the dial and hands are the easiest items to change ?

Where would I source such items easily ?

I want manual chronometer 6 position movement, with large crown and Mercedes hands.....can't be too difficult, can it ??
Rothstein1928 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 September 2016, 01:15 PM   #2
R.W.T.
"TRF" Member

6056 is A super oyster model. I would look for a 5056 if you want that variant.

I'm not sure exactly what you want.

These watches all use 10.5 H.

Mostly if you are wanting a chronometer grade version of this size you need to go older and sub seconds. They do exist but...you are going to have a hard time finding a dial and hands....actually hands I have.

Dial...you will need to find a Viceroy or an Imperial or simply Oyster Chronometer dial.

I have a very nice movement w/sweep seconds serviced and ready to install.

The crown will vary depending on the case.

The small barrel crown is the most common that would suit you. I have as well.

I have a very nice case frame but no back. Original crystal. It probably takes a 2280 or non reference back.

You may have to temporarily opt for a refinished dial.

It's all doable. Mostly they weren't chronometers. The chronometers found themselves more often in Viceroy style cases and Square End manual bubble back style cases.
R.W.T. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 September 2016, 06:58 PM   #3
Rothstein1928
"TRF" Member

With regard to the dial, Oyster Chronometer sounds about perfect

Do not care if it's not original, wants to be white with numbers not numerals

Crown I prefer the square section, not tapered or shaped end

Perhaps I should find photos of the parts I hope to include
Old 6 September 2016, 03:12 AM   #4
R.W.T.
"TRF" Member

PM sent
Old 6 September 2016, 12:03 PM   #5
Vlad
"TRF" Member

Tommy is right - you can put one together - but why? Rolex made a limited number of models, and each one was made for a specific purpose. You are likely to destroy a number of watches to produce a fankenwatch (not bad, but absolutely not needed) - if you want an authentic Rolex - get one. If you want a chronometer, get one - or get a quartz Rolex (or a non-rolex).
Vlad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 September 2016, 06:45 PM   #6
Rothstein1928
"TRF" Member

Why ?, because I want to, because I can !

And rather than destroying multiple watches, surely building a watch from choice parts laying in cupboards is a positive thing and nearer to Shelleys vision ?
Old 6 September 2016, 08:37 PM   #7
Old Expat Beast
TRF Moderator & 2024 DATE-JUST41 Patron

Watch: SEIKO
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rothstein1928 View Post
Why ?, because I want to, because I can !

And rather than destroying multiple watches, surely building a watch from choice parts laying in cupboards is a positive thing and nearer to Shelleys vision ?
"Unable to endure the aspect of the being I had created, I rushed out of the room and continued a long time traversing my bed-chamber, unable to compose my mind to sleep." Frankenstein, Mary Shelley

Old Expat Beast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 September 2016, 10:13 PM   #8
Rothstein1928
"TRF" Member

Some folk are content to wear clothes off the peg, or drive a standard production Corvette....some of us prefer tailored , bespoke items.
Old 7 September 2016, 03:25 AM   #9
R.W.T.
"TRF" Member

And I probably have most of the parts in my cupboard :-)

So we'll get something going and everyone can hate on it. :-)
Old 15 January 2017, 09:06 AM   #10
R.W.T.
"TRF" Member

So...it's January 2017....and Stuart and I have had multiple conversations and discussed this project quite a bit back in September-October.

I had a movement that was satisfactory for the project from many years back when I was starting out and buying watches and parts and projects to learn on.

I had a dial that we could refinish and some benz hands we could use in the manner he wished.

I had an appropriate case, NOS crown and reproduction to spec tube.

All the little bits that go into one of these...separated out over drawers and cubbies.

So...this is what we have come up with.

A custom piece...

It's a no reference model early 10.5 line case. It utilizes a "small barrel" oyster patent crown typical of the period.

A new GS Lok Tite Crystal.

An early 1940's separately serialized on the barrel bridge series 10.5 H calibre 710 movement with an NOS Gold Super Balance. Adjusted to 7 positions.

A custom Speed King Chronometer dial. Skeletonized original 10.5 ligne mercedes hands with red seconds.

The case work was done by Michael. The back was a proper fit but it was for a different reference. He was able to take the reference number out of the inside of the back and re damascene the inside finish to where it is as if it was never there almost. This was all decided and spoken about since we knew we were building from parts and making a custom watch.

This is an extremely time consuming type of endeavor. Really it's something you have a to want to do and also have the parts and knowledge of the era and what was going on inside these pieces to be able to really do it justice.

As he said in a previous post "Some folk are content to wear clothes off the peg, or drive a standard production Corvette....some of us prefer tailored , bespoke items."

I saw a situation I could be of service in. I know what it's like to want something...and have the world at large not really understand your motivation.

We had to make some compromises along the way as you are a bit limited when you are dealing with 80+ year old parts and their condition and availability. Except for the crystal and the case tube the watch is 100% genuine Rolex and it is all period correct. A watch they never made with a like new appearance 80 years later.

It's waterproof and keeps chronometer time for its era through the positions at full wind.

I'm in the testing phase now for overall timing.

I think we are both pleased with the result.

T
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCN3591.jpg (88.7 KB, 80 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN3586.jpg (126.4 KB, 80 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN3588.jpg (107.8 KB, 82 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN3593.jpg (56.1 KB, 78 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN3592.JPG (227.7 KB, 80 views)
Old 15 January 2017, 09:54 AM   #11
Nikita70
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex 16760
I think it looks awesome. I'd wear that proudly. Pretty neat that you basically built it from spare parts laying around.
Nikita70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 January 2017, 12:53 PM   #12
Tudor841
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Great work Tommy! I can appreciate the effort to create and congrats to Rothstein1928 for the commission.

Oh, and many thanks for posting this follow-up!
Tudor841 is offline   Reply With Quote