The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Vintage Rolex Discussion

Old 30 August 2016, 07:24 AM   #1
seankonners
"TRF" Member

Help finding the year on a watch I inherited

I just inherited a nice watch from my Uncle which has peaked my interest in Rolex. I am trying to figure out the year but since I am somewhat new to this and there is only so much you can learn from FAQ and fact pages on the internet. The watch I received is a Rolex Submariner and looks to be old. It says Oyster Perpetual on the dial. Condition is pretty beat up and there are lots of scratches on the crystal. My Uncle used it most of his life and never felt the need to get a new model. I guess that's a testament to the quality of the watches Rolex makes.

I was able to follow some direction on how to find the serial numbers from under the bracelet (I didn’t see a number on the rehaut ring) and then used a lookup tool at https://www.bobswatches.com/rolex-serial-numbers to get the year. I believe it to be an early 70’s watch but not sure the exact date it was purchased. The tool said 1972. Does anyone know if this is accurate or an official resource.

I don’t want to give the serial number in a public forum but it starts with a 3 and ends with a 1. If anyone knows of an official Rolex serial number database that Rolex provides on their website please DM me the URL. Just out of curiosity, I would also like to find the prices of what it's worth. I would never sell it but I'd would like to know anyways. Does anyone have a rough ballpark?
seankonners is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 August 2016, 08:27 AM   #2
MILGAUSS88
"TRF" Member

If you take it to a watchmaker and have the case opened it will have a date code on the inside back of the case.
A roman numeral I,II,III,IV for the quarter of the year and 2 digits ie 72 for the year.
Otherwise the guide you used is going to be as good of estimation as any, by serial number.
MILGAUSS88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 August 2016, 09:12 AM   #3
MonBK
Banned

We need the first 3 digits of the serial #.
MonBK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 August 2016, 10:07 AM   #4
jdog111578
"TRF" Member

Watch: Tudor 7016, 94010
Post your serial like this, 123XXXX. It located between the lugs which is easily read by taking off the band/bracelet. The opposite side will show the model.
jdog111578 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 January 2017, 11:16 AM   #5
seankonners
"TRF" Member

FYI - update

the rolex serial numbers are 2890xxx so according to ( https://www.bobswatches.com/rolex-serial-numbers ) that puts it at 1972. exactly what i was told.
seankonners is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 January 2017, 03:43 PM   #6
Old Expat Beast
TRF Moderator & 2024 Patron

Watch: SEIKO
Quote:
Originally Posted by seankonners View Post
I just inherited a nice watch from my Uncle which has peaked my interest in Rolex. I am trying to figure out the year but since I am somewhat new to this and there is only so much you can learn from FAQ and fact pages on the internet. The watch I received is a Rolex Submariner and looks to be old. It says Oyster Perpetual on the dial. Condition is pretty beat up and there are lots of scratches on the crystal. My Uncle used it most of his life and never felt the need to get a new model. I guess that's a testament to the quality of the watches Rolex makes.

I was able to follow some direction on how to find the serial numbers from under the bracelet (I didn’t see a number on the rehaut ring) and then used a lookup tool at https://www.bobswatches.com/rolex-serial-numbers to get the year. I believe it to be an early 70’s watch but not sure the exact date it was purchased. The tool said 1972. Does anyone know if this is accurate or an official resource.

I don’t want to give the serial number in a public forum but it starts with a 3 and ends with a 1. If anyone knows of an official Rolex serial number database that Rolex provides on their website please DM me the URL. Just out of curiosity, I would also like to find the prices of what it's worth. I would never sell it but I'd would like to know anyways. Does anyone have a rough ballpark?
Bob's Watches is notoriously inaccurate for serial numbers. There is no definitive source, but the best available is the Rolex Serial Number Project here: http://www.vintagerolexforum.com/

Click the link at top left, and prepare for a long page download.
Old Expat Beast is offline   Reply With Quote