The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Vintage Rolex Discussion

Old 21 October 2017, 12:53 AM   #1
Throstle
"TRF" Member

Explorer 6150

Hello everyone. This is my first post so I hope I manage to do everything correctly!

My father-in-law died recently and left me his Explorer 6150. I knew nothing about this watch but by reading posts / searching the internet I have gained a little knowledge. This watch was manufactured in the fourth quarter 1953 and has a serial number of 945xxx. It is currently on a 19mm expandable rivetted bracelet but should be on a 20mm. My question relates to the dial. It seems that this watch may have gone for a service about 1963 when Rolex were changing from Radium to Tritium as the lume material. The dial says SWISS at the bottom which suggests Radium but there is an underline under PRECISION which, from what I've read, suggests it is a transitional dial in the change over to Tritium. I've searched the internet but cannot see a picture of a similar dial - I can find similar dials but saying SUPER PRECISION rather that PRECISION. Has anyone ever seen a similar dial?

Thanks for your help.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 6150_case.JPG (196.8 KB, 250 views)
File Type: jpg 6150bracelet.jpg (153.2 KB, 252 views)
File Type: jpg 6150dial.jpg (180.0 KB, 255 views)
File Type: jpg 6150movement.jpg (164.3 KB, 248 views)
Throstle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 October 2017, 10:26 AM   #2
frackas
"TRF" Member

I've seen one almost like it, but without the underline: https://www.xupes.com/Watches/Produc...ents-6150.html

It looks similar to a 6610, 5504 or early 1016 chapter ring dial, but with "precision". The 6150's original dial would also read "precision", so my guess (as you also said) is that it's a service dial from that transitional period between radium and tritium. The dial does make sense, although not that common. Looks like it also got new hands during that service in 63.
frackas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 October 2017, 01:03 AM   #3
Mike Wood
"TRF" Member

Watch: Listen & Learn!
The underline would suggest that the dial is not completely original to the watch. An original 1953 dial would have radium luminous compound, but it is now widely held that the underline signifies the dial has tritium luminous compound applied to the dial. The options are that the dial is a very early SWISS tritium service dial, or that the radium has been removed and tritium applied in its place. Going with the shape of the Rolex coronet, I'd lean more towards the notion of a service replacement dial.

I have three 6150s (all 2.53 with 931*** case numbers), but the dials are different to yours.

If you get to Southport some time, call in on me and we can compare dials!

Mike Wood
Mike Wood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 October 2017, 01:46 AM   #4
Throstle
"TRF" Member

Thank you Frackas and Mike. You've confirmed what I had thought about the dial being replaced c 1963. As I said in the original post I've searched the net but can't find pictures of this particular dial. If it is a rare dial would that add to the value of the watch or would the fact that it's a replacement detract from the value - not that I'm thinking of selling because the watch belonged to my late father in law and has sentimental value.

Thanks for the invitation Mike - I might take you up on it some day!
Throstle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 October 2017, 07:04 PM   #5
Guy h
"TRF" Member

I have a first quarter 1953 6150 Pre-Explorer number 930... with the original dial and Super Oyster crown (non screw down) and the ddial is different to the dial on yours.
Guy h is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 October 2017, 07:08 PM   #6
Guy h
"TRF" Member

I have a first quarter 1953 6150 Pre-Explorer number 930... with the original dial and Super Oyster crown (non screw down) and the ddial is different to the dial on yours. So would agree with Mike.
Guy h is offline   Reply With Quote