The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Audemars Piguet Discussion Forum

Old 25 January 2019, 02:59 AM   #1
blown5.0
"TRF" Member

Thoughts on Titanium?

Hi all,

I am new to the world of AP, and I am trying to take in all the different models. I am a big fan of the Titanium. I was just curious if anyone has any experience/thoughts around this watch? Any history around it would be great to know as well. Thanks!
blown5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 January 2019, 03:03 AM   #2
eal15
"TRF" Member

Watch: Audemars Piguet 15
It’s my favorite everyday material. Most of my Panerai’s are titanium and my AP diver is SS but I’m wanting the new 42mm ROO chrono in titanium. My favorite AP is the 44mm ROO chrono but unfortunately it’s too big for me. You’d be pretty happy with an AP titanium if you’re already a titanium fan.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
eal15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 January 2019, 04:42 AM   #3
ts3
"TRF" Member

Like Ti for bike or aircraft parts but I didn't like it as a watch material when I had my one and only Ti watch.

It was an IWC 3707 GST Chrono with matte Ti case and bracelet that was meant to be a tool watch but it was the worst scratch magnet I ever had. Even more disappointing as the IWC ads promised "Makes Scratches, but on your Porsche". The Ti looked great when new, slightly granular as a result of its bead blasting treatment. But any scratch looked 5x worse than on SS as the originally matte material became very shiny locally.

Had to go as I really didn't want to baby this one at all.
ts3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 January 2019, 07:01 AM   #4
blown5.0
"TRF" Member

Thanks guys. I should have been more clear. I was referring to the ROO chrono - https://www.audemarspiguet.com/en/wa....OO.A004CA.01/
blown5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 January 2019, 07:41 AM   #5
Bushido
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by blown5.0 View Post
Thanks guys. I should have been more clear. I was referring to the ROO chrono - https://www.audemarspiguet.com/en/wa....OO.A004CA.01/
I'm wearing mine on the wrist as I type this. I absolutely love it and find it to be quite comfortable as a daily wearer. The size and rubber strap give it wrist presence while the Ti and ceramic bezel ensure the watch is light and not top heavy. No issues with scratches, dings, nor dents.

I would highly recommend it to any ROO fan.
Bushido is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 January 2019, 09:02 AM   #6
travisb
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Yes..
I'm currently looking at that reference. It's a perfect Offshore in my opinion.
travisb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 January 2019, 10:00 AM   #7
eal15
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by blown5.0 View Post

I knew what you meant. I was stating that I love ti as a watch material period. My Panerai is a ti and my next AP will hopefully be the 42mm ROO ti as my favorite ROO is the 44mm ROO ti you’re speaking of but it’s too big for me.

Old 25 January 2019, 10:28 AM   #8
bruinmd
"TRF" Member

Watch: Patek/Rolex/GS
Quote:
Originally Posted by eal15 View Post
I knew what you meant. I was stating that I love ti as a watch material period. My Panerai is a ti and my next AP will hopefully be the 42mm ROO ti as my favorite ROO is the 44mm ROO ti you’re speaking of but it’s too big for me.

Have you thought about the Grey ghost as an option?

I'm debating between it and the new 42mm blue dial ROOC as well.
bruinmd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 January 2019, 12:59 PM   #9
yyzpam
"TRF" Member

Watch: PP AP Rolex PAM
I own the 44ti, and every now and then think I should trade it in for something else....and then I wear it and want to smack myself.

It’s a fantastic piece. Mine is more of a weekend and “out for dinner” piece but it’s very versatile. And you should see it on a white rubber in the summer.
yyzpam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 January 2019, 01:28 PM   #10
eal15
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bruinmd View Post
Have you thought about the Grey ghost as an option?

I'm debating between it and the new 42mm blue dial ROOC as well.

The ghost is my current goal. I looked the new 42mm rooc but it has the f Piguet movement which is fine. The rest of the watch is me me me, no numbers on the dial but I like thebceramic bezel and now I want the new 4401 chrono movement. Hopefully next year lol

Old 25 January 2019, 05:51 PM   #11
kn_watches
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP/PP/Rolex/Pam
I’m still enjoying my Ti44. The weight is perfect for me, and I wear it many times during the week. Initially was supposed to be a weekend watch, but I tend to gravitate towards it daily. Good luck!

IG: @kn_watches
kn_watches is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 January 2019, 11:55 PM   #12
bruinmd
"TRF" Member

Watch: Patek/Rolex/GS
Quote:
Originally Posted by eal15 View Post
The ghost is my current goal. I looked the new 42mm rooc but it has the f Piguet movement which is fine. The rest of the watch is me me me, no numbers on the dial but I like thebceramic bezel and now I want the new 4401 chrono movement. Hopefully next year lol

I didn't understand: the ghost is your current goal, or the new blue dial ROOC titanium is?

The FP is considered the more reliable movement, but that isn't a knock on the 3126, which I think has proven itself to be very solid over the years. Plus the ghost has a clear case back, which is a huge plus.

I don't think their new in house movement is coming into the RO line any time soon, per my contact at the boutique. It will likely be 18-24 months, if not later.
bruinmd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 January 2019, 12:08 AM   #13
eal15
"TRF" Member

Noooooooo! Lol. I like the look of that blue rooc with fp. And I also think it’s a top tier movement just not an in-house one plus I do love a display caseback. My diver has one but who strives for less, I want more : (. Lol. I want titanium, a ceramic bezel and pushers but if the new chrono movement does into the roc, I might jump to that since I already have a ROO diver. I just wish it was 100m wr.