The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Old 27 May 2019, 12:00 AM   #1
Banks
"TRF" Member

Lange 1 Daymatic

I recently created a thread on the Lange 1 vs Saxonia Moonphase. In my research and perusing of the Lange 1 I keep coming back to the lesser known brother, the Lange 1 Daymatic.

Just interested to hear peoples thoughts on this model and if anyone has any first hand experience.

While there is about a 7-8k premium on the Daymatic at MSRP versus the standard Lange and its pretty much the same price of the Lange 1 Moonphase, I can pick up one up for a much more competetive price to the others on the secondary market.

Advantages to me are a more logical placement of time, so that it peeks from underneath the cuff, a day indicator and while automatic, a much nicer looking movement. Also it comes in at 39.5mm which some may view as a drawback but I think it gives a nice middle ground between the L1 and Grand L1.

May be more difficult to sell if I ever decided to move the piece as I imagine most will gravitate towards the manual wind 38.5mm.
Banks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 May 2019, 12:10 AM   #2
Jocke
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: A dozen of Rolex's
Quote:
Originally Posted by Banks View Post
I recently created a thread on the Lange 1 vs Saxonia Moonphase. In my research and perusing of the Lange 1 I keep coming back to the lesser known brother, the Lange 1 Daymatic.

Just interested to hear peoples thoughts on this model and if anyone has any first hand experience.

While there is about a 7-8k premium on the Daymatic at MSRP versus the standard Lange and its pretty much the same price of the Lange 1 Moonphase, I can pick up one up for a much more competetive price to the others on the secondary market.

Advantages to me are a more logical placement of time, so that it peeks from underneath the cuff, a day indicator and while automatic, a much nicer looking movement. Also it comes in at 39.5mm which some may view as a drawback but I think it gives a nice middle ground between the L1 and Grand L1.

May be more difficult to sell if I ever decided to move the piece as I imagine most will gravitate towards the manual wind 38.5mm.
The new blue one is a grail watch, so cool with the different place of date and everything else. Much more balanced then a "regular" Lange 1.

One day I hope get one.

What is best a custom Rolex or a Rolex that is stuck in custom?

Buy a professional camera and you´re a professional
photographer, buy a flute and you own a flute.
Jocke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 May 2019, 12:18 AM   #3
Banks
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jocke View Post
The new blue one is a grail watch, so cool with the different place of date and everything else. Much more balanced then a "regular" Lange 1.

One day I hope get one.
The blue is stunning.

Great comparison and high res shots here, https://monochrome-watches.com/compa...aymatic-price/
Old 27 May 2019, 09:43 AM   #4
MJaber
"TRF" Member

Watch: Romain Gauthier
For the Lange 1 I only ever go with the original Lange 1- as much as I love moonphases and think the Lange 1 MP is beautiful or even the daymatic with its retrograde day indicator, there is something timeless and special about the original L1 and anything added to it is just clutter in my opinion. Also, one huge drawback to the Daymatic is it doesn’t have a power reserve and the Auf/Ab indicator is part of the brands history and appeal.

Be aware as well the daymatic doesn’t have an updated movement with the instantaneous date change like the Lange 1 and Lange 1 MP.
Old 28 May 2019, 08:24 PM   #5
RoyALS
"TRF" Member

I've been trying to get my hands on trying the Lange 1 Daymatic as well. As Jocke mentioned, It is a grail watch for many people, including myself.

However, I've started to think whether a Lange 1 Daymatic Blue would be as easy as white or black dial to match your outfit with. I noticed many people wear a blue dial watch with blue-based suit. Anyone has thoughts on this?

Another thing as well - how's Lange 1 as a daily watch? Is it any good at all? Would really love to hear from actual owners or someone you might know.

A salesperson told me Daymatic may have stopped production? And pretty sure I've heard from him that the Lange 1 Daymatic is no longer on the latest 2019 ALS's catalogue. Is this true? The store had no Lange 1 Daymatic at all and he says there's only 1 at the moment which is located in on the other side of the country, which I got to try on(lucky me). Can anyone confirm this as well?
RoyALS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 May 2019, 06:31 AM   #6
Banks
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoyALS View Post
I've been trying to get my hands on trying the Lange 1 Daymatic as well. As Jocke mentioned, It is a grail watch for many people, including myself.

However, I've started to think whether a Lange 1 Daymatic Blue would be as easy as white or black dial to match your outfit with. I noticed many people wear a blue dial watch with blue-based suit. Anyone has thoughts on this?

Another thing as well - how's Lange 1 as a daily watch? Is it any good at all? Would really love to hear from actual owners or someone you might know.

A salesperson told me Daymatic may have stopped production? And pretty sure I've heard from him that the Lange 1 Daymatic is no longer on the latest 2019 ALS's catalogue. Is this true? The store had no Lange 1 Daymatic at all and he says there's only 1 at the moment which is located in on the other side of the country, which I got to try on(lucky me). Can anyone confirm this as well?
On the availability point, I have emailed Lange as I noticed that the only version on their website is the blue dial version, no longer pink, yellow or white gold casing with white / argenté dial. I will report back when I get a response. They seem to be very rare in the wild.

I’m heading to London in a month or so and will try the Boutique, Wempe and WOS and also report back.

I definitely think the Lange 1 can be worn as a daily piece.
Old 29 May 2019, 08:09 AM   #7
Frits1980
"TRF" Member

Not the whole day because its to hot for leather but i have been wearing my lange 1 at night every day for the last couple of weeks. No issues. Everything always feels solid with Lange so it should work fine for a daily
Frits1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 May 2019, 12:41 PM   #8
RoyALS
"TRF" Member

Quote:
On the availability point, I have emailed Lange as I noticed that the only version on their website is the blue dial version, no longer pink, yellow or white gold casing with white / argenté dial. I will report back when I get a response. They seem to be very rare in the wild.

I’m heading to London in a month or so and will try the Boutique, Wempe and WOS and also report back.

Good pickup on that. And this contradicts exactly what I knew all along. Lange 1 Blue Daymatic was supposed to be discontinued in 2018. The rest like WG, RG and YG are supposed to be still in production.

You are right that they're very rare. Considering it shows everything (date/time/day) I expected it would be the best selling Lange 1 model. However, this wasn't the case and I haven't noticed much discussions around Lange 1 Daymatic as well, almost seemed like no one bought nor interested in this particular model at all!
Old 30 May 2019, 01:04 AM   #9
AK797
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing ships roll in
Quote:

Matching blue to something subtle like cufflinks or belt or even a tie is fine, but a whole suit is too much, plus no one will care but you so don't worry about a dial colour this way.

I do like the size of the Daymatic but just prefer the time subdial to be over to the left, just not quite right for me on the right, with dial space empty on the left.
AK797 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 May 2019, 06:46 PM   #10
RoyALS
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AK797 View Post
Matching blue to something subtle like cufflinks or belt or even a tie is fine, but a whole suit is too much, plus no one will care but you so don't worry about a dial colour this way.

I do like the size of the Daymatic but just prefer the time subdial to be over to the left, just not quite right for me on the right, with dial space empty on the left.
Funnily, I do not wear cufflinks nor tie. My work only requires business shirt, chinos and leather shoes(maybe).

I am left handed, meaning I wear my watch on my right hand. However, I have read somewhere in the forum that people were complaining how the regular Lange 1 is quite bothersome for the usual right handed person who wear watch left hand. They had to pull up their sleeve in order to see the time as the time is located on the left hand on regular Lange 1.

If that's the case for them, Daymatic could be an issue for me. That mean's normal Lange 1 may be the best choice for myself. But I love the day indicator so much on Lange 1 Day-Matic!!!!

Went to tried Glashutte PML today but it's simply doesn't "click" with me. Less comfortable on hand as well. I know I know, they're in a completely different league...
Old 30 May 2019, 08:12 PM   #11
Banks
"TRF" Member

If you wear your watch on your right hand and wear a long sleeved shirt on a daily basis I would suggest the regular Lange 1 for ease of reading the time.
Old 30 May 2019, 08:31 PM   #12
glamorama
"TRF" Member

The Daymatic seems to be the perfect Lange 1 imao. As you say the time is on the "right" side, automatic and has day-date function. But that is if you plan to wear it every day or at least very often. If only worn sometimes I would not select the Daymatic but the black moon phase.

I have spent many many hours contemplating this piece before finally going RG Datograph (love it) and Rolex DD (which I later regretted).

I think this and other Lange 1 looks best in RG or perhaps platinum if you like the sterile look.
glamorama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 May 2019, 09:32 PM   #13
AK797
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing ships roll in
Quote:
Funnily, I do not wear cufflinks nor tie. My work only requires business shirt, chinos and leather shoes(maybe).

I am left handed, meaning I wear my watch on my right hand. However, I have read somewhere in the forum that people were complaining how the regular Lange 1 is quite bothersome for the usual right handed person who wear watch left hand. They had to pull up their sleeve in order to see the time as the time is located on the left hand on regular Lange 1.

If that's the case for them, Daymatic could be an issue for me. That mean's normal Lange 1 may be the best choice for myself. But I love the day indicator so much on Lange 1 Day-Matic!!!!

Went to tried Glashutte PML today but it's simply doesn't "click" with me. Less comfortable on hand as well. I know I know, they're in a completely different league...
I suppose the shirt thing could be an issue, altho surely anyone can take a half second to pull back a sleeve, there can't be many Lange owners working fast conveyor belts.

I've tried on a few GO and the quality isn't quite there, they are priced very well but that does reflect the gap between the brands for me.
AK797 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 May 2019, 08:13 AM   #14
RoyALS
"TRF" Member

Quote:
If you wear your watch on your right hand and wear a long sleeved shirt on a daily basis I would suggest the regular Lange 1 for ease of reading the time.
Thought exactly that. Not sure if I will be willing to give up the day function though. Wonder how long Daymatic production will continue is also another question for myself.

Quote:
Originally Posted by glamorama View Post
The Daymatic seems to be the perfect Lange 1 imao. As you say the time is on the "right" side, automatic and has day-date function. But that is if you plan to wear it every day or at least very often. If only worn sometimes I would not select the Daymatic but the black moon phase.

I have spent many many hours contemplating this piece before finally going RG Datograph (love it) and Rolex DD (which I later regretted).

I think this and other Lange 1 looks best in RG or perhaps platinum if you like the sterile look.
Any particular regular why with the moon phase though? Not sure your "black moon phase" meant black dial with moon phase or not. But I've tried both WG black dial MP and RG white dial MP, IMO I prefer RG white dial. However, will definitely try them both on again just to be sure. It's a big purchase for myself.

Great choice on your RG Datograph!

Quote:
I suppose the shirt thing could be an issue, altho surely anyone can take a half second to pull back a sleeve, there can't be many Lange owners working fast conveyor belts.

I've tried on a few GO and the quality isn't quite there, they are priced very well but that does reflect the gap between the brands for me.
Dang. I'm a consultant in China so I can rock up with jeans and t shirt if I wish. Most formal I've gotten myself in China was smart casual. I suppose the blue dial would rock with my Navy blazer which I love the most!

Spot on about GO. It really does reflect the gaps between 2 brand although they were practically under the same roof.
Old 31 May 2019, 06:12 PM   #15
glamorama
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Thought exactly that. Not sure if I will be willing to give up the day function though. Wonder how long Daymatic production will continue is also another question for myself.

Any particular regular why with the moon phase though? Not sure your "black moon phase" meant black dial with moon phase or not. But I've tried both WG black dial MP and RG white dial MP, IMO I prefer RG white dial. However, will definitely try them both on again just to be sure. It's a big purchase for myself.

Great choice on your RG Datograph!
Thanks!

I think the Daymatic production is there to stay. The blue dial was only for 2017 (or 18?) orders though, as mentioned by others already. Have not seen the blue IRL but in pictures it seems pretty dull. That particular reference have the advantage of being a little less dressy due to lumed hands. Hope they come out with some more dial options, grey preferably.

Why I say the moon phase black dial for a Lange 1 that I'd wear seldom is because it looks so damn nice in pictures. But they all look great really

https://monochrome-watches.com/lange...-review-price/
Old 1 June 2019, 04:50 AM   #16
wisguy
"TRF" Member

Quote:

I don't wear my Lange 1 daily, but could. I need to dress it down with a different strap but haven't. Any ideas are welcome!

It just works, having to pull up the sleeve to see the time is a moot point IMO.

I like the Daymatic, being automatic is a plus.
Old 1 June 2019, 07:43 AM   #17
glamorama
"TRF" Member

Lange 1 Daymatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by wisguy View Post
I don't wear my Lange 1 daily, but could. I need to dress it down with a different strap but haven't. Any ideas are welcome!

It just works, having to pull up the sleeve to see the time is a moot point IMO.

I like the Daymatic, being automatic is a plus.

Tanned Ostrich strap :) looks more casual (too orange in pic)

Old 7 June 2019, 12:16 AM   #18
Banks
"TRF" Member

Quote:

Just by way of update, I received confirmation that the Lange 1 Daymatic has been phased out and is no longer available (including the blue dial version featured on their website).
Old 7 June 2019, 02:09 AM   #19
glamorama
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Just by way of update, I received confirmation that the Lange 1 Daymatic has been phased out and is no longer available (including the blue dial version featured on their website).

Oh wow. Wonder what they will replace it with! Lange 1 Annual Cal?
Old 7 June 2019, 08:31 PM   #20
RoyALS
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Oh my god. Isn't Lange 1 Daymatic a in-house designed movement? How can Lange just sell it for 9 years? Daymatic is probably my favourite Lange model of them all. This is quite a sad news for myself to hear.

However, I do hope whatever Lange is using to replace Daymatic would be good. Fingers crossed.
Old 8 June 2019, 04:05 AM   #21
DGB
"TRF" Member

The Daymatic is really growing on me, especially the blue dial.
I am fed up with Rolex and Patek marketing strategies,
I got so discouraged when I spoke to the Patek salesman that I am now shifting to Lange and Breguet.

I know now I will never get a call from Rolex and Patek as they want me to buy half their inventory.

So the Daymatic is now what I am focusing on.
And the blue is beautiful.
What made me prefer it to the Lange 1 is the luminous hands as well as the time indication is near the crown, FP Journe style.

Not sure how hard it is to get, hopefully not as bad as the other 2 brands.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
DGB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 June 2019, 06:46 AM   #22
Banks
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DGB View Post
The Daymatic is really growing on me, especially the blue dial.
I am fed up with Rolex and Patek marketing strategies,
I got so discouraged when I spoke to the Patek salesman that I am now shifting to Lange and Breguet.

I know now I will never get a call from Rolex and Patek as they want me to buy half their inventory.

So the Daymatic is now what I am focusing on.
And the blue is beautiful.
What made me prefer it to the Lange 1 is the luminous hands as well as the time indication is near the crown, FP Journe style.

Not sure how hard it is to get, hopefully not as bad as the other 2 brands.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
See above. It’s been discontinued so it will be hard to get your hands on an unused one, particularly blue dial. Some ADs may still have stock though.
Old 17 July 2019, 04:12 PM   #23
RoyALS
"TRF" Member

Quote:
See above. It’s been discontinued so it will be hard to get your hands on an unused one, particularly blue dial. Some ADs may still have stock though.
Just got the latest 2019/2020 Lange Collection Book with me. Lange 1 Daymatic Pink Gold is still currently in it. All blue dials have been taken off the book.
Old 20 August 2019, 07:16 AM   #24
boskomtl
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Just got the latest 2019/2020 Lange Collection Book with me. Lange 1 Daymatic Pink Gold is still currently in it. All blue dials have been taken off the book.
I received this recently as well and indeed only the lange 1 daymatic in pink gold and with argenté dial (320.032) is in the Collection Book itself.

However, in the official Price list which was included with the book, both Lange 1 Daymatic 320.032 and the 320.028 in white gold and deep-blue dial are listed (MSRP is $51,600 Canadian Dollars for each). The latter 320.028 however has a *** footnote which states "Not shown in Collection Book."

Therefore it seems that both are available still but perhaps not for long...?

The price list is dated April 2019.

HTH!

Sent from my SM-N960W using Tapatalk
boskomtl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 January 2020, 09:57 PM   #25
myporsche
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex♠Lange
Quote:

Why did you regret a Rolex DD?
myporsche is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 January 2020, 10:57 PM   #26
glamorama
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by myporsche View Post
Why did you regret a Rolex DD?

I almost forgot by now. But there were several factors, I had both WG and YG DD40 and sold both. I wouldn’t mind to have the WG in black or perhaps white dial again. At the time I just wasn’t impressed with much on the DD40 grey dial I had. The finishing was just sub-standard to a grand Seiko I used in the trade. As an example, the sides of batons were not polished whereas they are mirror on GS. But the main issue for me was fit of bracelet, or rather lack of it. My wrist is quite small so contracts and expands quite a bit. Usually it was loose but I remember once on the plane I was almost strangling my wrist.

The improvements I’d like to see on DD40 are some sort of micro adjustment to the president bracelet. Like VC Overseas that have 2x2mm quick adjustment. Secondly, better finished dial batons. Extra perfect would be an “invisible” annual calendar. Thinner would be nice too. The size and proportions are very good compared to DDII.

Having said all that, I do recommend the DD40. It looks great and can do anything. A DD40 and GMT/Sub is all one need.

Old 12 January 2020, 03:25 AM   #27
ansharma
"TRF" Member

Watch: Lange 1 Moonphase
Quote:

Agree with this - the GO appeared to be thicker, larger diameter and obviously the finishing while very nice is not to Lange standards.
ansharma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 January 2020, 12:13 PM   #28
myporsche
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex♠Lange
Quote:
I almost forgot by now. But there were several factors, I had both WG and YG DD40 and sold both. I wouldn’t mind to have the WG in black or perhaps white dial again. At the time I just wasn’t impressed with much on the DD40 grey dial I had. The finishing was just sub-standard to a grand Seiko I used in the trade. As an example, the sides of batons were not polished whereas they are mirror on GS. But the main issue for me was fit of bracelet, or rather lack of it. My wrist is quite small so contracts and expands quite a bit. Usually it was loose but I remember once on the plane I was almost strangling my wrist.

The improvements I’d like to see on DD40 are some sort of micro adjustment to the president bracelet. Like VC Overseas that have 2x2mm quick adjustment. Secondly, better finished dial batons. Extra perfect would be an “invisible” annual calendar. Thinner would be nice too. The size and proportions are very good compared to DDII.

Having said all that, I do recommend the DD40. It looks great and can do anything. A DD40 and GMT/Sub is all one need.

Agree on your thoughts, micro adjustment is a concern for me as well. It would be really great if they integrate something like the Skydweller annual calendar mechanism in the future. I think there was a mock-up out there somewhere. I like both your old DDs.
myporsche is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 January 2020, 06:16 PM   #29
glamorama
"TRF" Member

Quote:

Nowadays I have changed my mind to thinking Lange 1 MP in platinum is the one to get. Daymatic still seems like the smart choice in but the moon phase with day night indicator just draws me in.
Old 12 June 2020, 06:15 PM   #30
glamorama
"TRF" Member

Thought I’d update this thread with a Lange 1 Daymatic Pt picture as I ended up getting one!

Not as romantic as a Datograph to look at either back or front but much more wearable imao.

This is my first platinum piece, apart from being heavy it’s surprisingly white compared to gold or even steel.