The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Old 10 October 2018, 05:52 AM   #1
erhein
"TRF" Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Real Name: Ed
Location: Arizona
Watch: Rolex, JLC
Posts: 191
Time for service soon?

Eighteen year old GMT II with 3185 movement, with average rate of +5.8s/d; beat error 1.4ms; and amplitude of 271. Is it time for a service, or can it wait? Any risk to the watch if it is not serviced now? The beat error is a little troubling to me. I don't know any prior service history. Thanks.
erhein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 October 2018, 06:25 AM   #2
Valenciawatchrepair
"TRF" Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: Ellijay, GA
Posts: 1,034
18 years with no service history...I'd say yeah, time for a service. There's no way to know what has changed in that amount of time. Gaskets are probably crispy at this point too. And those oscillating weight axles like to eat themselves alive, especially after the oil has dried up.
Valenciawatchrepair is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10 October 2018, 06:29 AM   #3
Nickotime
"TRF" Member
 
Nickotime's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Real Name: Chuck
Location: Midwest USA
Posts: 17
Yep! What he said.
Nickotime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 October 2018, 06:46 AM   #4
ROLLiWORKS
2018 Pledge Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Real Name: Michael H
Location: San Francisco
Posts: 486
When we view watches that haven't been serviced for 10+ years under our microscope camera it's truly impressive seeing the crusty fossilized oil and all the brass metal dust and shavings from the jewels just completely destroying pivots. You find brass dust all over in places you would expect to find it. Basically turning good rolex parts into a what looks like a pile of sand.
ROLLiWORKS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 October 2018, 06:49 AM   #5
ROLLiWORKS
2018 Pledge Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Real Name: Michael H
Location: San Francisco
Posts: 486
Really would love to get this watch into our shop see this movement under the camera.




All work done in the good olí U.S. of A.
ROLLiWORKS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 October 2018, 07:14 AM   #6
erhein
"TRF" Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Real Name: Ed
Location: Arizona
Watch: Rolex, JLC
Posts: 191
So, even if I assume it needs servicing, is it a bit of a crapshoot?
erhein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 October 2018, 07:56 AM   #7
Valenciawatchrepair
"TRF" Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: Ellijay, GA
Posts: 1,034
Quote:
Originally Posted by erhein View Post
So, even if I assume it needs servicing, is it a bit of a crapshoot?

There's no way to know until it's checked. Did it live on a watch winder? Worn one day a week for 2 hours? Sort of the difference between a car being a daily 50-100 mile commuter or a Sunday drive for a couple hours. Time isn't the only factor here.
Valenciawatchrepair is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10 October 2018, 08:13 AM   #8
erhein
"TRF" Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Real Name: Ed
Location: Arizona
Watch: Rolex, JLC
Posts: 191
Quote:
Originally Posted by Valenciawatchrepair View Post
There's no way to know until it's checked. Did it live on a watch winder? Worn one day a week for 2 hours? Sort of the difference between a car being a daily 50-100 mile commuter or a Sunday drive for a couple hours. Time isn't the only factor here.
Understood. Obvious when you really think about it, or when someone points it out.

Thanks everyone for the clarity.
erhein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 October 2018, 08:15 AM   #9
ROLLiWORKS
2018 Pledge Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Real Name: Michael H
Location: San Francisco
Posts: 486
Good analogy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valenciawatchrepair View Post
There's no way to know until it's checked. Did it live on a watch winder? Worn one day a week for 2 hours? Sort of the difference between a car being a daily 50-100 mile commuter or a Sunday drive for a couple hours. Time isn't the only factor here.
ROLLiWORKS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 October 2018, 09:10 AM   #10
Bigblu10
"TRF" Member
 
Bigblu10's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Real Name: Jaime
Location: Here
Posts: 2,468
Quote:
Originally Posted by ROLLiWORKS View Post
When we view watches that haven't been serviced for 10+ years under our microscope camera it's truly impressive seeing the crusty fossilized oil and all the brass metal dust and shavings from the jewels just completely destroying pivots. You find brass dust all over in places you would expect to find it. Basically turning good rolex parts into a what looks like a pile of sand.
Yet some will not service a watch until the movement finally freezes up
Bigblu10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 October 2018, 11:10 AM   #11
erhein
"TRF" Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Real Name: Ed
Location: Arizona
Watch: Rolex, JLC
Posts: 191
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigblu10 View Post
Yet some will not service a watch until the movement finally freezes up
Penny wise and pound foolish.
erhein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 October 2018, 03:09 PM   #12
SearChart
TechXpert & 2018 Pledge Member
 
SearChart's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Real Name: Bas
Location: Europe
Watch: Seiko & Casio
Posts: 15,616
18 years without service? Yeah even if it wasn't worn I'd get the movement serviced.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valenciawatchrepair View Post
18 years with no service history...I'd say yeah, time for a service. There's no way to know what has changed in that amount of time. Gaskets are probably crispy at this point too. And those oscillating weight axles like to eat themselves alive, especially after the oil has dried up.
The rotor axle gets a very nice patina

__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by GB-man View Post
Rolex uses rare elves to polish the platinum. They have a union deal and make like $90 per hour and get time and half on weekends.
SearChart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 October 2018, 06:55 PM   #13
crazymcmichael
"TRF" Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2018
Location: Here
Watch: Sub 114060, 216570
Posts: 858
Quote:
Originally Posted by SearChart View Post
18 years without service? Yeah even if it wasn't worn I'd get the movement serviced.

The rotor axle gets a very nice patina

Yes is it? If you theoretical buy a wristwatch, leave it 18 years in the safe add some moisterpads and wind it every month maybe 1 or 2 times and putt it back in, would that watch be not be about the same kind of damaged as a watch you wear like 3 years every week or so? I readed an article somewhere about NOS that some old pieces that never got worn are like new inside besides the lubricants, is this real? Always good to know this kind of things from a professional haha.

Thanx :)
crazymcmichael is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10 October 2018, 08:01 PM   #14
037
2018 DAYTONA Pledge Member
 
037's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2018
Location: GMT -5
Watch: the 24-hour hand
Posts: 2,006
Quote:
Originally Posted by crazymcmichael View Post
Yes is it? If you theoretical buy a wristwatch, leave it 18 years in the safe add some moisterpads and wind it every month maybe 1 or 2 times and putt it back in, would that watch be not be about the same kind of damaged as a watch you wear like 3 years every week or so? I readed an article somewhere about NOS that some old pieces that never got worn are like new inside besides the lubricants, is this real? Always good to know this kind of things from a professional haha.

Thanx :)
My personal opinion: If you're going to throw a watch in the safe for 18 years as a future gift, throw it in the safe and don't wind it. There's no point in wearing it out if you aren't going to wear it. 18 years later you can have the movement cleaned and oiled without having to replace major parts (excluding seals), assuming no unforeseen corrosion issues.

I would venture to guess that 18 years of winding once per month would show more wear on the movement than 3 years of consecutive use purely due to oils migrating or drying up. Your tube and crown would have far more wear as well since you'd have ~216 winding events compared to only a handful a year on a daily watch.

Personally, I'd wear the watch and enjoy it. I'd rather receive a worn watch from my father than one in mint/NOS condition. A worn watch has history, soul and inherent sentimental value. An unworn watch would be intimidating to wear far too tempting to sell for current market value or put back in the safe for another 30 years. But, that's just my take.
037 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 October 2018, 10:37 PM   #15
nboyer
2018 Pledge Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2018
Real Name: Norm
Location: Virginia, USA
Watch: 2005 DateJust
Posts: 71
Totally agree. Cheers. -Norm

Quote:
Originally Posted by 037 View Post
My personal opinion: If you're going to throw a watch in the safe for 18 years as a future gift, throw it in the safe and don't wind it. There's no point in wearing it out if you aren't going to wear it. 18 years later you can have the movement cleaned and oiled without having to replace major parts (excluding seals), assuming no unforeseen corrosion issues.

I would venture to guess that 18 years of winding once per month would show more wear on the movement than 3 years of consecutive use purely due to oils migrating or drying up. Your tube and crown would have far more wear as well since you'd have ~216 winding events compared to only a handful a year on a daily watch.

Personally, I'd wear the watch and enjoy it. I'd rather receive a worn watch from my father than one in mint/NOS condition. A worn watch has history, soul and inherent sentimental value. An unworn watch would be intimidating to wear far too tempting to sell for current market value or put back in the safe for another 30 years. But, that's just my take.
nboyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 October 2018, 04:15 AM   #16
crazymcmichael
"TRF" Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2018
Location: Here
Watch: Sub 114060, 216570
Posts: 858
Offcourse i do not want safe queens lol.. But just for the sake of education purpose ) thanx for the info btw
crazymcmichael is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11 October 2018, 04:26 AM   #17
Valenciawatchrepair
"TRF" Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: Ellijay, GA
Posts: 1,034
Quote:
Originally Posted by 037 View Post
My personal opinion: If you're going to throw a watch in the safe for 18 years as a future gift, throw it in the safe and don't wind it. There's no point in wearing it out if you aren't going to wear it. 18 years later you can have the movement cleaned and oiled without having to replace major parts (excluding seals), assuming no unforeseen corrosion issues.

I would venture to guess that 18 years of winding once per month would show more wear on the movement than 3 years of consecutive use purely due to oils migrating or drying up. Your tube and crown would have far more wear as well since you'd have ~216 winding events compared to only a handful a year on a daily watch.

Personally, I'd wear the watch and enjoy it. I'd rather receive a worn watch from my father than one in mint/NOS condition. A worn watch has history, soul and inherent sentimental value. An unworn watch would be intimidating to wear far too tempting to sell for current market value or put back in the safe for another 30 years. But, that's just my take.

Great info. Same goes for quartz watches. People seem to think that just because they never wore it, it's still perfect. Sadly, batteries tend to leak, and that's just total destruction. I always tell people who want to put quartz watches aside to pass down, to let me at least take the batteries out!
Valenciawatchrepair is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11 October 2018, 10:02 PM   #18
Gtecko
"TRF" Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2017
Location: Halifax
Posts: 163
Be cool to have a picture taken once it is open up! Just to see how the movement has lived for 18 years
Gtecko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 October 2018, 01:45 AM   #19
037
2018 DAYTONA Pledge Member
 
037's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2018
Location: GMT -5
Watch: the 24-hour hand
Posts: 2,006
Quote:
Originally Posted by crazymcmichael View Post
Offcourse i do not want safe queens lol.. But just for the sake of education purpose ) thanx for the info btw
Sure thing.
037 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 October 2018, 05:40 AM   #20
erhein
"TRF" Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Real Name: Ed
Location: Arizona
Watch: Rolex, JLC
Posts: 191
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gtecko View Post
Be cool to have a picture taken once it is open up! Just to see how the movement has lived for 18 years
Iíd be curious about that myself.
erhein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 October 2018, 05:42 AM   #21
ROLLiWORKS
2018 Pledge Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Real Name: Michael H
Location: San Francisco
Posts: 486
Does no service history mean that it is unknown if/when it was last serviced or does it mean that it wasnít service in the past 18 years?


All work done in the good olí U.S. of A.
ROLLiWORKS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 October 2018, 06:48 AM   #22
037
2018 DAYTONA Pledge Member
 
037's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2018
Location: GMT -5
Watch: the 24-hour hand
Posts: 2,006
Sounds like it's a complete unknown per the first post.

Regardless, it's probably best to assume no prior service and that movement parts are now wearing considerably with daily use. The sooner a service can be performed, the better.
037 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 October 2018, 06:53 AM   #23
erhein
"TRF" Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Real Name: Ed
Location: Arizona
Watch: Rolex, JLC
Posts: 191
Quote:
Originally Posted by ROLLiWORKS View Post
Does no service history mean that it is unknown if/when it was last serviced or does it mean that it wasnít service in the past 18 years?
Unknown if it's ever been serviced.
erhein is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


*Banner Of The Month*
This space is provided to horological resources.





Copyright ©2004-2018, The Rolex Forums. All Rights Reserved.

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Rolex is a registered trademark of ROLEX USA. The Rolex Forums is not affiliated with ROLEX USA in any way.