The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Vintage Rolex Discussion

Old 17 July 2019, 11:41 PM   #31
circles
"TRF" Member

I'm really surprised here; usually you guys are pretty brutal when it comes to giving opinions on a watch but this time you're giving it a "thumbs up".
For $3600? The dial is damaged, the second hand is terrible, the case is dinged big time, and the bracelet is pretty beat. For me this would also be a hard pass.
circles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 July 2019, 12:10 AM   #32
RobW
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by circles View Post
I'm really surprised here; usually you guys are pretty brutal when it comes to giving opinions on a watch but this time you're giving it a "thumbs up".

For $3600? The dial is damaged, the second hand is terrible, the case is dinged big time, and the bracelet is pretty beat. For me this would also be a hard pass.
Yep. Absolutely.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk
Old 18 July 2019, 02:24 AM   #33
1984DateJust16030
"TRF" Member

Well here's a very unpleasant update to give...

Watch arrived and appears to have been POLISHED without me asking for this...??? Pitting and dings and marks from the eBay photos are nowhere to be seen. The IBM engraving on the caseback is likewise disappeared. Bracelet now looks too good, and feels "sharp" on the edges.

I really don't think I have any choice but to send this back. Unbelievable.

Will post pictures later on this evening.

Onthedial - I may be in touch shortly.
1984DateJust16030 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 July 2019, 02:31 AM   #34
brockburst
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1984DateJust16030 View Post
Well here's a very unpleasant update to give...

Watch arrived and appears to have been POLISHED without me asking for this...??? Pitting and dings and marks from the eBay photos are nowhere to be seen. The IBM engraving on the caseback is likewise disappeared. Bracelet now looks too good, and feels "sharp" on the edges.

I really don't think I have any choice but to send this back. Unbelievable.

Will post pictures later on this evening.

Onthedial - I may be in touch shortly.
Sounds like a different watch entirely.
brockburst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 July 2019, 03:35 AM   #35
1984DateJust16030
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by brockburst View Post
Sounds like a different watch entirely.
Yeah it seems to be the same watch based on the dial but clearly has had work done on it. Very sad story.
Old 18 July 2019, 05:28 AM   #36
1984DateJust16030
"TRF" Member

To seller's credit, he replied right away explaining their watchmaker must have accidentally polished it, and he will honor the refund.

Unfortunate it happened, but seems like an honest mistake and I'm happy the seller is doing right by me.
Old 18 July 2019, 07:02 AM   #37
JeanGenie
"TRF" Member

I also think overall this wasn’t a good deal and you should see it as a blessing that you received something different than what was advertised thereby allowing you to return it.

For reference, here’s my recently purchased 16014 from 1984/85 (also birthyear for me) and I paid $3100 to a private seller on WuS. It’s in absolutely stunning shape, far better than your example, and it was less expensive. I actually think I got a deal. I spent another $600ish getting the movement serviced with Rikki of Time Care.

I think with some more time you’ll find exactly what you’re looking for. You should expand to the 16014- same watch but with the white gold bezel!
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg B8E1B545-D784-4AAE-9F70-D5C505E3F2A8.jpeg (239.4 KB, 91 views)
JeanGenie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 July 2019, 07:36 AM   #38
dhknola
"TRF" Member

I agree with the consensus you got lucky being able to return.
DJ's are everywhere. I am a big fan of honest watches and am more of a collect and wear type than a collect and collect dust in a safe type. With that said, for a typical datejust, if you keep your eyes peeled and look locally, often times you can get them in the two thousand range. If you go to 3k up, you really want to pay that premium for condition and box papers.
Good luck on the hunt and be happy you aren't stuck with the first DJ.
I'd also be upset if that IBM engraving was buffed out, that was a cool feature of the watch.
dhknola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 July 2019, 01:12 PM   #39
1984DateJust16030
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhknola View Post
I agree with the consensus you got lucky being able to return.
DJ's are everywhere. I am a big fan of honest watches and am more of a collect and wear type than a collect and collect dust in a safe type. With that said, for a typical datejust, if you keep your eyes peeled and look locally, often times you can get them in the two thousand range. If you go to 3k up, you really want to pay that premium for condition and box papers.
Good luck on the hunt and be happy you aren't stuck with the first DJ.
I'd also be upset if that IBM engraving was buffed out, that was a cool feature of the watch.
I really feel for the poor IBM guy who worked there 25 years and got it buffed away! Sadly poetic.

Good lesson to always look for a flexible return policy when dealing online. This policy really does look to be 30 days return for any reason.
Old 18 July 2019, 01:14 PM   #40
1984DateJust16030
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeanGenie View Post
I also think overall this wasn’t a good deal and you should see it as a blessing that you received something different than what was advertised thereby allowing you to return it.

For reference, here’s my recently purchased 16014 from 1984/85 (also birthyear for me) and I paid $3100 to a private seller on WuS. It’s in absolutely stunning shape, far better than your example, and it was less expensive. I actually think I got a deal. I spent another $600ish getting the movement serviced with Rikki of Time Care.

I think with some more time you’ll find exactly what you’re looking for. You should expand to the 16014- same watch but with the white gold bezel!
Beautiful watch there, I’ll check out the 16014 for sure.

Newb question, what is WuS?
Old 18 July 2019, 04:52 PM   #41
onthedial
"TRF" Member

Watch: IG @onthedial
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1984DateJust16030 View Post
Beautiful watch there, I’ll check out the 16014 for sure.

Newb question, what is WuS?

It’s another watch forum called watchuseek.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
onthedial is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 July 2019, 09:38 PM   #42
gunhose
Banned

Watch: what's on my wrist
Good thing you're getting your money back ! You'll find a lot better example for that money.
gunhose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 July 2019, 10:46 PM   #43
iliketime
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16570, 16710
Smidge high for that condition, my best advice is be patient, as there are plenty of datejusts floating around. the prices are not as low as they used to be, but you can still get a decent datejust under $3,000
iliketime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 July 2019, 11:17 PM   #44
SunTzu
"TRF" Member

Watch: 5513 116234 79280P
First purchase - 16030 - all thoughts appreciated

Have patience. There’s tons of them to choose from. Wait for one that meets all your criteria in the best condition possible.

This is mine. I always wanted a Buckley dial. I waited a bit for it. I lost out on a couple. Then I stumbled upon this. I paid $3,100 for it this year. From 1979.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk