The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex Watch Reviews

Old 1 June 2018, 02:47 AM   #181
douglasf13
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tbonewalk View Post
Thank you for your views on the Tudor! I sense top quality- Rolex quality in the case, hands and dial. This one has the Rolex crown too. And I love the acrylic crystal. I feel it is kind of warmer and maybe less bling. The bracelet fits, feels and looks great, but I sense a lower quality; am I correct here? It fits but barely, and I think it has all the links. From what I gather changing links or especially adding them on a folded link bracelet is difficult. Some running issues that I will mention, but overall happy with this watch.
Yeah, I had to have a permanent folded link removed on mine, which can be done, but certainly isn't easy like the modern stuff. While these old bracelets don't have the (over?)build quality of the new stuff, I love how light and comfortable they are.
douglasf13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 June 2018, 02:56 AM   #182
douglasf13
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by douglasf13 View Post
Yeah, I mean, what you essentially have is a Rolex DJ case and bracelet with with a slightly different dial and ETA movement. It's a bit like buying a current Lotus with their fantastic and reliable Toyota-based engines.
Speaking of the "Toyota" engine in my Tudor, I had quite a surprise yesterday. I was near my local watch maker, so I popped in and had him regulate my 76200, like I've done for several of my other watches. Well, when I returned to pick up the watch after the regulation, his timegrapher reported an overall variation of...0.0 seconds!

Now, I've had all kinds of watches regulated, from an Exp II, DJ and SubDate, to a Co-Axial, to a basic ETA 2824-2, etc., and I've NEVER had the thing come back exactly dead on. Anything under 2 seconds is fine by me, and 1 second usually fantastic, but 0.0?!?!

Now, sure, the positional variance of this ETA Tudor isn't going to be amazingly stable like the new Tudor in-house movements, which may be among the best ever made in that regard, but the 0.0 overall score is fantastic. Plus, sitting face up, which is how I rest the watch at night, it only gains 0.2 seconds, so I can't wait to see how the thing looks in a month.

It's only been a day or so, but it's still spot on at the moment.
Old 1 June 2018, 03:10 AM   #183
wickets
"TRF" Member

Watch: Tudor 76200
Mine arrived today. And thanks to opawlows for the lume info. Much appreciated. I'm not allowed to post pics yet.

Now to get a leather band on it!
wickets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 June 2018, 04:06 AM   #184
opawlows
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex/Tudor/Breit
Quote:
Originally Posted by wickets View Post
Mine arrived today. And thanks to opawlows for the lume info. Much appreciated. I'm not allowed to post pics yet.

Now to get a leather band on it!
Not a problem. Can't wait to see some pics of your new DD!
opawlows is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 June 2018, 07:36 AM   #185
goyo
"TRF" Member

Awesome to hear !

Tudor's ETA comes as a Top grade with a modified balance. KIF shock absorbers and a Triovis regulator instead of the regular ETA.

Top grade means the balance has a higher grade hairspring, higher grade pallet fork and is regulated to within COSC specs without being COSC certified. Also it is absolutely gorgeous to look at since the movement is ully perlage decorated.

Rolex has been using the KIF system for quite some time. Also other brands such as Audemars Piguet, Patek Philippe, JLC etc have used it. The main difference is that the Incabloc has two contact points on the jewel bearing, whereas KIF has three. What this means is a better equipped to survive harder impacts. The three contact points are also evenly spread so it technically self aligns itself !!! Pretty dang cool.! And by the way, so you don't feel left out because she does not have a "Rolex" movement, the great caliber 3135 has two KIF applications. ! :-)

And a picture... Of course !

Cheers.

G.

Quote:
Speaking of the "Toyota" engine in my Tudor, I had quite a surprise yesterday. I was near my local watch maker, so I popped in and had him regulate my 76200, like I've done for several of my other watches. Well, when I returned to pick up the watch after the regulation, his timegrapher reported an overall variation of...0.0 seconds!

Now, I've had all kinds of watches regulated, from an Exp II, DJ and SubDate, to a Co-Axial, to a basic ETA 2824-2, etc., and I've NEVER had the thing come back exactly dead on. Anything under 2 seconds is fine by me, and 1 second usually fantastic, but 0.0?!?!

Now, sure, the positional variance of this ETA Tudor isn't going to be amazingly stable like the new Tudor in-house movements, which may be among the best ever made in that regard, but the 0.0 overall score is fantastic. Plus, sitting face up, which is how I rest the watch at night, it only gains 0.2 seconds, so I can't wait to see how the thing looks in a month.

It's only been a day or so, but it's still spot on at the moment.
goyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 June 2018, 05:30 AM   #186
douglasf13
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by goyo View Post
Awesome to hear !

Tudor's ETA comes as a Top grade with a modified balance. KIF shock absorbers and a Triovis regulator instead of the regular ETA.

Top grade means the balance has a higher grade hairspring, higher grade pallet fork and is regulated to within COSC specs without being COSC certified. Also it is absolutely gorgeous to look at since the movement is ully perlage decorated.

Rolex has been using the KIF system for quite some time. Also other brands such as Audemars Piguet, Patek Philippe, JLC etc have used it. The main difference is that the Incabloc has two contact points on the jewel bearing, whereas KIF has three. What this means is a better equipped to survive harder impacts. The three contact points are also evenly spread so it technically self aligns itself !!! Pretty dang cool.! And by the way, so you don't feel left out because she does not have a "Rolex" movement, the great caliber 3135 has two KIF applications. ! :-)

And a picture... Of course !

Cheers.

G.
Thanks!

I was aware of the Tudor changes to the ETA, and I find it a little funny that, despite missing the 3 hallmarks of a Rolex movement (free sprung balance, overcoil and full balance bridge,) this Tudor ETA is running better than anything else I've owned from Rolex or any other company.

I don't normally care too much about accuracy, but, since the watchmaker nailed it at 0.0, I'm having a little fun testing it out with a watch app. I've been wearing it 24/7, and it's currently running at +.2 seconds per day, which is outrageously good. I've never had another mechanical that close to zero. We'll see if it holds.

p.s. I recently learned that the 2nd KIF unit over the 3135's escape wheel is actually called a KIF Duofix, and it isn't really a shock absorber. It's just a more convenient way of holding the jewel in place vs. little screws.
Old 10 June 2018, 10:11 AM   #187
goyo
"TRF" Member

Totally !

Hey... Speaking of great movements... How about some modern yet vintage ?

Quote:
Thanks!

I was aware of the Tudor changes to the ETA, and I find it a little funny that, despite missing the 3 hallmarks of a Rolex movement (free sprung balance, overcoil and full balance bridge,) this Tudor ETA is running better than anything else I've owned from Rolex or any other company.

I don't normally care too much about accuracy, but, since the watchmaker nailed it at 0.0, I'm having a little fun testing it out with a watch app. I've been wearing it 24/7, and it's currently running at +.2 seconds per day, which is outrageously good. I've never had another mechanical that close to zero. We'll see if it holds.

p.s. I recently learned that the 2nd KIF unit over the 3135's escape wheel is actually called a KIF Duofix, and it isn't really a shock absorber. It's just a more convenient way of holding the jewel in place vs. little screws.
goyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 June 2018, 12:22 AM   #188
The Argonaut
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT Master 16750
Excellent review. Many thanks. is the case size 38 or 36? I've read both for the Prince DD.
The Argonaut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 June 2018, 12:32 AM   #189
DramaTurtle
"TRF" Member

Watch: Polar Explorer
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Argonaut View Post
Excellent review. Many thanks. is the case size 38 or 36? I've read both for the Prince DD.
The Prince DD is actually closer to 35mm, similar to classic DJ's. I just bought myself a second one; same config as Adam's!
Rolex moved to its furthest point of being a tool watch. The new Sea-Dweller and Meteorite GMT seem best suited for raising PGA trophies, and that might be the closest we get to one anyway.
DramaTurtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 June 2018, 04:49 AM   #190
The Argonaut
"TRF" Member

Thanks DT.
Old 29 June 2018, 10:27 AM   #191
Old Expat Beast
TRF Moderator & 2024 Patron

Watch: SEIKO
Quote:
Thank you. My digital caliper says 36mm, as does the Tudor website Note, also, the updated reference number. Not sure if only 76200 is still used on the case now, but I guess so.
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg dddd.jpeg (80.4 KB, 661 views)
Old 1 July 2018, 10:16 AM   #192
The Argonaut
"TRF" Member

HI Old Expat,

Thanks. It seems as if the older models are 38-39.

https://www.christies.com/features/T...ed-5745-1.aspx

Best,
Argo
Old 1 July 2018, 10:22 AM   #193
Old Expat Beast

Quote:
HI Old Expat,

Thanks. It seems as if the older models are 38-39.

https://www.christies.com/features/T...ed-5745-1.aspx

Best,
Argo
Yes, the earliest ("Jumbo") ones were, but the 76200 and other 76 series are 36mm, and have been since the 1990s
Old 1 July 2018, 01:11 PM   #194
The Argonaut
"TRF" Member

HI Old Expat,

I appreciate the heads up. I'm new to the Tudor universe, and am grateful for the steer,.

Best,
TA
Old 1 July 2018, 02:50 PM   #195
Old Expat Beast

Quote:
HI Old Expat,

I appreciate the heads up. I'm new to the Tudor universe, and am grateful for the steer,.

Best,
TA
My pleasure
Old 5 July 2018, 02:39 AM   #196
douglasf13
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Expat Beast View Post
Thank you. My digital caliper says 36mm, as does the Tudor website Note, also, the updated reference number. Not sure if only 76200 is still used on the case now, but I guess so.
I believe it's 36mm if you measure a little diagonally and exclude the crown, which still gets a sliver of the midcase in there, but the bezel alone is closer to 35mm.
Old 5 July 2018, 07:52 AM   #197
Old Expat Beast

Quote:
I believe it's 36mm if you measure a little diagonally and exclude the crown, which still gets a sliver of the midcase in there, but the bezel alone is closer to 35mm.
Yes, Argonaut was asking about the case, and that's what I measured. The bezel is of course slightly smaller.
Old 5 July 2018, 10:23 AM   #198
douglasf13
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Yes, Argonaut was asking about the case, and that's what I measured. The bezel is of course slightly smaller.
Yeah, I was just trying to clear up why DramaTurtle said the watch was closer to 35mm. It sounds like he was thinking in terms of the bezel.
Old 10 July 2018, 04:03 PM   #199
mikkolopez
"TRF" Member

Some 2tone goodness

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I have even DONE everything,
I just don't REMEMBER everything.
mikkolopez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 July 2018, 12:41 AM   #200
wickets
"TRF" Member

here's one of mine

Old 13 July 2018, 07:33 PM   #201
Tbonewalk
"TRF" Member

bracelet

mine is from 1986 and the bracelet is snug. I may want to try another bracelet. Will Rolex replacements fit this one, 6248-20 code on clasp... thank you!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg s-l1600.jpg (91.9 KB, 631 views)
Tbonewalk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 August 2018, 11:25 PM   #202
Jake B
"TRF" Member

Watch: Gold Sub 116618LN
Thread got to me, Adam, so I found myself laying down $19,888 for a blue 76214 with a WG fluted bezel

I'll make sure to post a few pics later on.

Cheers &.good weekend, gents!
Old 18 August 2018, 12:12 AM   #203
Old Expat Beast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jake B View Post
Thread got to me, Adam, so I found myself laying down $19,888 for a blue 76214 with a WG fluted bezel

I'll make sure to post a few pics later on.

Cheers &.good weekend, gents!
Nicely done mate

I look forward to seeing the pics.
Old 18 August 2018, 02:01 AM   #204
wickets
"TRF" Member

19 THOUSAND? must be zimbabwian dollars or something, right?

ex the cost, looking very forward to seeing pics too
Old 18 August 2018, 11:08 AM   #205
Jake B
"TRF" Member

Quote:
19 THOUSAND? must be zimbabwian dollars or something, right?
....or do you think maybe Hong Kong, where the model is still current ?

Quote:
Nicely done mate

I look forward to seeing the pics.
Here's a quick one taken last night before I took off the stickers and re-sized, Adam. I apologise for the poor lighting. The blue can appear to be anything from a vibrant Stella dial type of blue, to a deep navy/purple. Hey, big thanks for helping to bring these into the spotlight.

Cheers & thanks for lookin'!
Old 18 August 2018, 11:28 AM   #206
Old Expat Beast

Looks great Jake...the blue dial/fluted bezel is one of the most attractive combos for the 762xx series. Congrats on a great one
Old 18 August 2018, 11:46 AM   #207
Jake B
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Looks great Jake...the blue dial/fluted bezel is one of the most attractive combos for the 762xx series. Congrats on a great one
Thanks, Adam!

That "Mosaic" dial with smooth is VERY tempting, too. Hell, they're all good. This one might not be the last.
Old 19 August 2018, 12:50 AM   #208
fskywalker
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Is Ticking !
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jake B View Post
....or do you think maybe Hong Kong, where the model is still current ?

Here's a quick one taken last night before I took off the stickers and re-sized, Adam. I apologise for the poor lighting. The blue can appear to be anything from a vibrant Stella dial type of blue, to a deep navy/purple. Hey, big thanks for helping to bring these into the spotlight.

Cheers & thanks for lookin'!
Nice!
Zenith 02.470.405
Henry Archer Eclipse

2FA security enabled
fskywalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 August 2018, 10:25 AM   #209
opawlows
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex/Tudor/Breit
That's a great looking 76214 with the blue dial!
opawlows is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 September 2018, 12:02 AM   #210
douglasf13
"TRF" Member

Quote:
here's one of mine

Nice! That’s something I like about the Tudor’s slightly more “simple” dial vs. a DateJust (although similar to some late ‘70s DJs.) It can lean a little sporty with the right band.