The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Old 15 December 2018, 11:43 AM   #1
Harry_S
"TRF" Member

Recent AD visit UK experience

Went into my local AD today and enquired about the Rolex GMT... my words were "don't worry its not the pepsi its the BLNR". Could tell he was sick of people asking him about SS models.
Didn't seem too interested and said that we prioritise 'local customers and people that we have a previous relationship with'
My reply was : I am actually local to yourself and how on earth can I establish a relationship with your AD if all the models im interested in (Daytona / Skydweller / GMT) all pieces you wont sell me LOL
They sell Patek also and I enquired about a 5711 - he gave me the look of no chance.
Was a nice enough chap but I could just tell my name is just added to a list of 100+ and I will never get the call.

I understand fully why people go to Grey dealers and pay overs. No pretence and no bullsh*t. Pay your £££/$$$ and BOOM = Thank you.
Harry_S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 December 2018, 12:00 PM   #2
faaaaaaaasterrrrr
"TRF" Member

Watch: Another One?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry_S View Post
I understand fully why people go to Grey dealers and pay overs. No pretence and no bullsh*t. Pay your £££/$$$ and BOOM = Thank you.
Yep. Worse for ADs is when someone wants something like a DJ and can get a new one for $1,500 under retail. Brand new. Your name on the warranty card. Why bother? If you’re not already in the ADs good graces, there’s no real point.
faaaaaaaasterrrrr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 December 2018, 05:54 PM   #3
rootbeer7
"TRF" Member

Buy from a grey now at the price you would pay in 5 years time if you ever get to the top of the list!
Alternatively, look at other brands that would be delighted to sell you a watch!
Old 15 December 2018, 06:06 PM   #4
ozwatchguy
"TRF" Member

Definitely tough at the moment for a first time Rolex buyer. You want to become a customer but want a watch that the AD will only sel to a previous customer lol

Best just to buy gray or used!
ozwatchguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 December 2018, 06:49 PM   #5
peterskinner
"TRF" Member

There are other companies that make excellent watches. For a simple example, a Speedie Pro is a superb Chrono with a more legible dial. At a third of the price, or less. Grand Seiko make lovely GMTs. Blancpain fifty fathoms is a great dive watch.
You don't get the residuals, but buy carefully and it won't matter. Rolex are great, but they are not irreplaceable.
peterskinner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 December 2018, 07:00 PM   #6
WatchLurv
Banned

Watch: Swiss
First time Rolex buyer has zero chance unless you buy PM. But why pay full price as the AD demands when you can still get a piece under retail for that through a gray. Grays exists due to these market imbalances.
WatchLurv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 December 2018, 07:17 PM   #7
PepsiGMT
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by WatchLurv View Post
First time Rolex buyer has zero chance unless you buy PM. But why pay full price as the AD demands when you can still get a piece under retail for that through a gray. Grays exists due to these market imbalances.
Correction...grey exists because they make money off of people desperate to plunk down money on a watch.

These guys are getting Rolex watches from ADs at probably 30% off out the back door and then selling to people who think they are getting a good deal. In most cases you are not getting a good deal. They are preying on people with more money than sense.
PepsiGMT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 December 2018, 07:23 PM   #8
Nairn1980
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT
Everyone wants the models you want.
Buy a Datejust that’s in stock or some jewellery for that special someone and that’ll start a relationship.
Nairn1980 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 15 December 2018, 08:24 PM   #9
colpol
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rootbeer7 View Post
Buy from a grey now at the price you would pay in 5 years time if you ever get to the top of the list!
Alternatively, look at other brands that would be delighted to sell you a watch!
Agree
colpol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 December 2018, 08:31 PM   #10
watchmaker
TechXpert

Quote:
Went into my local AD today and enquired about the Rolex GMT... my words were "don't worry its not the pepsi its the BLNR". Could tell he was sick of people asking him about SS models.
Didn't seem too interested and said that we prioritise 'local customers and people that we have a previous relationship with'
My reply was : I am actually local to yourself and how on earth can I establish a relationship with your AD if all the models im interested in (Daytona / Skydweller / GMT) all pieces you wont sell me LOL
They sell Patek also and I enquired about a 5711 - he gave me the look of no chance.
Was a nice enough chap but I could just tell my name is just added to a list of 100+ and I will never get the call.

I agree it's difficult to build a relationship but playing devil's advocate; how does an AD discern the difference between a speculator/flipper versus a genuine customer when the only models you are requesting just happen to be the profitable models.

Nobody was throwing money hand over fist to pay ADs RRP when greys were discounting sports models 30% a few years ago. The market is how it is right now and to be honest no one in their right mind would do anything differently if they were an AD today
watchmaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 December 2018, 09:53 PM   #11
joli160
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: Yachtmaster
Well Harry, by asking for all these references in one go you just look like one of many others waiting to make a quick buck and than getting annoyed that the AD does not play.
You can't be really surprised AD's getting fed up with that.
Old 15 December 2018, 10:20 PM   #12
AK797
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing ships roll in
Quote:
Originally Posted by PepsiGMT View Post
Correction...grey exists because they make money off of people desperate to plunk down money on a watch.

These guys are getting Rolex watches from ADs at probably 30% off out the back door and then selling to people who think they are getting a good deal. In most cases you are not getting a good deal. They are preying on people with more money than sense.
ADs and Grey dealers have long term relationships and most of them sanctioned by Rolex as they help each other out in moving inventory, esp in quiet periods. And now they get no discounts on the popular models at all which is why greys are charging such a high premium to make enough margin and then some, as they are entitled to do. It is the individual flipper, often a credit card buyer with no interest in watches at all, that Rolex and ADs want to eliminate, not the grey market.
AK797 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 16 December 2018, 05:09 AM   #13
Harry_S
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by joli160 View Post
Well Harry, by asking for all these references in one go you just look like one of many others waiting to make a quick buck and than getting annoyed that the AD does not play.
Its not my fault I like all the good stuff LOL !
But in all seriousness since when was a humble GMT given the same importance as a Daytona. Rolex and their marketing / sales strategy is playing straight to their disgruntled customers buying their 'other' challenger brand - Tudor.
Secretly I think this is what Rolex want. So many TRF have bought Black bays and GMT's since they cannot get their hands on subs and the like.

I for one do not rate Tudor at all. Its nice of course but it aint no Rolex. Rather buy an Omega just my personal choice.

I have a relationship with an AD in London and hope to have more success with them in the future. My local AD in my home city is a joke to be honest and I refuse to kiss ass or buy them bottles of wine or bring them in cakes... for what !???
A product that they are paid to sell lol.
In my experience that salesman that you are being nice to will in effect have moved on in 12 months time to another position or job and so all that kissing ass will have been for nothing.

I will have a Daytona or GMT at overs or retail but this shall be on my own terms.
Old 16 December 2018, 05:51 AM   #14
kyoto
"TRF" Member

Quote:

Really good to read this as I have contacted numerous ADs in the UK and mostly they are rather rude as they get so many calls. Decency to customers is lacking, not everyone can buy dozens so it would be nice to have a little courtesy rather than the normal elitist and unwelcome attitude.

I have just bought my first Submariner, a Kermit, gave up on the still in production, Hulk. It was from a pre owned shop and the attitude was really refreshing, I appreciate they are charging a premium price but I was happy with this in the circumstances and common courtesy doesn't cost, it should come free.

Have only just joined this Forum ,really glad I have found it.
kyoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 December 2018, 05:53 AM   #15
mattskybeat
"TRF" Member

Watch: Sky Dweller
Find a small AD that is not part of a chain. I walked into an AD in the north, no history with them at all, after a couple of coffees and an in-depth exchange on various pieces I asked if they would consider me for a sub when they next got one. They said they would add me to the list. 6 days later I picked it up. I went back with a small gift for the sales person and jokingly asked what was in the safe, to my surprise they had three Daytona’s on oysterflex, one was the silver dial, a white gold sub, Yacht Master 2s in gold and TT, a black face skydweller and a batman. We joked about the fact that they can sell to who ever they choose and it is all about the relationship. Needless to say I have a new AD
mattskybeat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 December 2018, 06:04 AM   #16
Horatio
Banned

Quote:

Why are all of the models you want the ones that are hard to get?
Horatio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 December 2018, 06:05 AM   #17
Horatio
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by joli160 View Post
This
Old 16 December 2018, 06:13 AM   #18
ChronoHog
"TRF" Member

I bought my first two Rolexes this year. A SD43 that I waited 12 months for and a GMT Master II Rootbeer which I waited 3 months for. These watches were from different ADs. I got referred by friends, who are good customers of the ADs, for both watches. It appears that a recommendation from an existing customer can help.
ChronoHog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 December 2018, 07:02 AM   #19
LinD
"TRF" Member

Watch: New Style DJ
Experiences can Vary

I bought a new datejust a few weeks ago. I appreciate these aren’t as special as the men’s sports models but nevertheless standards of service do vary. I went to an AD I haven’t been to before in Horsham. I’m an unassuming, small middle-aged female. After I entered the shop and sat at the back in the Rolex area two shop assistants stood in front of the exit clearly blocking it. The inference was that I could be a criminal and they weren’t going to take any chances with me. Whilst I understand the importance of security I felt their actions were a little exaggerated under the circumstances.

I didn’t buy anything from that AD but I did make my purchase from Prestons in Guildford a week later. That was very different - coffee and biscuits on arrival and all the time I needed to compare models. Then I went back after lunch to buy and had champagne. I felt much more valued even though I had never shopped there before.
LinD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 December 2018, 09:25 AM   #20
Harry_S
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Horatio View Post
Why are all of the models you want the ones that are hard to get?
Thats my choices sir. I dont fancy TT Datejusts. Thanks for your input
Old 16 December 2018, 09:28 AM   #21
Horatio
Banned

Quote:
Thats my choices sir. I dont fancy TT Datejusts. Thanks for your input
You’re most welcome. Perhaps now you know why you’re getting the cold shoulder...
Old 16 December 2018, 09:39 AM   #22
Harry_S
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Horatio View Post
You’re most welcome. Perhaps now you know why you’re getting the cold shoulder...
I was sharing my experience as a newbie to dealing with AD’s especially one local to myself.
I am not new to the brand and do not appreciate your judgemental comments. Its exactly this type of attitude thats puts off people from posting on forums.
If you dont have anything nice or helpful to say perhaps keep your negative condescending comments to yourself. Thanks
Old 16 December 2018, 09:53 AM   #23
Harry-57
2024 Pledge Member

I'm prepared to play the AD game because I have a good relationship of many years standing with them. We've bought a lot more stuff than a few Rolex watches from them. It's going to be harder if you are trying to establish a relationship, but they presumably sell other things that you might want or need from time to time? The first thing I bought from my AD was a replacement nib for a fountain pen. That was when the 16610LV was sitting in AD windows. Seems like a dream now.

I am by no means a VIP, so I have to be realistic. I'll never get a SS BLRO GMT in the current climate. That might change but for now there's just no point in fretting. I couldn't get onto the 116610LV list either. After two years of asking, they maintained their position that there were probably, in all honestly, too many people on their Hulk list. They should have closed it before they did. They didn't know, but they had a reasonable expectation that not everyone on the list would ever get one. It was pointless my persisting, but if things ever maliciously flipped, they would speak to me. And others like me.

The difference, in my case, between the SS Pepsi and the Hulk, is that the Hulk is my grail watch. Always wanted one. Persisted in refusing to give myself permission to spend so much on a watch. When I finally decided that life was too short, it was too late. So I went grey and paid 20% over MSRP. I couldn't be happier. I don't regret doing it. And I will (probably) never do it again. If you can afford it, you definitely want it and you have no expectation of getting on an AD list, let alone buying it from an AD, what else are you going to do?

The grey market was the watch collector's friend. If we didn't use grey dealers, we used their offers as leverage at ADs. And it often worked. Now, because the market has gone berserk and the greys can actually make some short to medium term profit at higher margins on some models, it's somehow all their fault? That's a messenger full of holes if ever I saw one. It's not like they're selling oxygen or drinking water. Nobody has to if they don't care to.
Harry-57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 December 2018, 11:08 AM   #24
Astro_Train
Banned

Watch: 116610
I purchased my first Rolex last week.

With that being said I was able to obtain a 126711 brand new within 3 months at retail price from an AD. Let me come back to this..

Backtrack one year when I first started looking to purchase. I initially wanted an SD43.. so I went to Torneau in VA because I had purchased two Breitlings in the past from them. Of course it had been some time so I no longer knew anyone there in particular. So I was treated pretty badly. Both times the two different guys I dealt with... total douches.. one guys flat out told me to go away as if I was wasting his time.

I contacted 2 other ADs in VA and they were more receptive. I did it all via email and phone. They were very respectful and one of the owners actually contacted me via email and he took the time to explain the shortage to me on each particular model. I had already done my research so it was nothing really new to me but I appreciated his time. This was just good customer service.

Fast forward about 4 months, I contacted an AD in MD who is a seller here on this forum and whom I met via WUS. This guy treated me like a person and told me the watches were in demand and he would let me know when he had one available for me. About a month later he had an SD43 in stock that was preowned and so I was able to actually see the watch for the first time. I am glad I did and realized it was NOT the watch for me. He also had a Pepsi preowned and again I could not stomach the jubilee bracelet plus the crazy markup.. although he gave me a very competitive preowned price which I will not discuss as a courtesy. So....

I then tinkered back and forth between a Hulk or a GMT CHNR and decided that I wanted both watches and told him to let me know when he had either in. I understood I was still a new customer and I would be waiting behind other folks that were also waiting on these models. About 2 months later I received a text that he had a 126711 available! I was there as soon as I could make it out (it was a 70 mile one way trip) so last Saturday I went to see the watch and it was no brainer purchase!

My point of this story is ADs have people that are decent and regardless whether you are the first or the 10000 person to inquire about the same SS model, they should still treat you at the very least as a person. The folks in the UK dealer the OP described were not only unprofessional, but to the point of showing their personal feelings towards him. The right thing to do would be to take his information and be up front about how long the list maybe for him. Not give him an unprofessional and almost disrespectful attitude.

I cannot say enough good things about the AD that sold me my watch.

I am now waiting on the Hulk.. I do not plan on being as lucky for this next one and that is fine with me.

As for the gray market dealers, I think they are part of the issue with the shortage of watches. To some folks here $3 to $4k may not be much to pay on a mark up for a watch, but it is to me. So giving it to a gray market dealer makes no sense.. that is 1/3 of the price for a new 114060. Just think of how many gray market dealers have watches right now that could of been purchased by folks like ourselves? But I get there is no real way for the ADs to control selling watches to them.

I think one way that ADs would have some control over this is if they actually bought preowned watches themselves. This would put the gray dealers at a disadvantage would likely decrease some of the inflation of the prices. The issue is most ADs do not want to do this.

I will do a full post of my watch experience here soon within the next few days. So OP try another AD if you have others and try to make contact with someone that will treat you as a person and a customer. At the end of the day, even if you wait 3-6 months... you will save thousands.
Astro_Train is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 December 2018, 06:46 PM   #25
Nairn1980
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT
Quote:
I was sharing my experience as a newbie to dealing with AD’s especially one local to myself.
I am not new to the brand and do not appreciate your judgemental comments. Its exactly this type of attitude thats puts off people from posting on forums.
If you dont have anything nice or helpful to say perhaps keep your negative condescending comments to yourself. Thanks
I understand the comments can be cutting. However there is truth in them. The market on these pieces is a sellers one at the moment. One look at prices tells you that.

I’d recommend buying a stock piece from you’d AD at first eg a Datejust (loads of variety to find one you like), or a less desired sports piece eg Milgauss, Explorer, Air-King etc. Then progress to the harder to get pieces. Think long term with the AD and make them want to sell to you as opposed to all the others. That takes relationship and buying history. (Chronological lists really don’t exist now).

Put yourself in the AD shoes, he gets say 6 BLNR a year. He likely has 20 + who are interested. As a business he has to look after his big spenders first, that’s basic business. This is the same with most steel sports models.

Good luck
Nairn1980 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 16 December 2018, 10:58 PM   #26
accountank2000
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116519LN, 79220R
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nairn1980 View Post
I’d recommend buying a stock piece from you’d AD at first eg a Datejust (loads of variety to find one you like), or a less desired sports piece eg Milgauss, Explorer, Air-King etc. Then progress to the harder to get pieces. Think long term with the AD and make them want to sell to you as opposed to all the others. That takes relationship and buying history. (Chronological lists really don’t exist now).

Put yourself in the AD shoes, he gets say 6 BLNR a year. He likely has 20 + who are interested. As a business he has to look after his big spenders first, that’s basic business. This is the same with most steel sports models.
I do get it - anyone with experience in business would probably find it easy to put themselves in a dealer's shoes; if you can sell the 'hot' models really quickly, and there are more potential customers than you have inventory of hot watches to supply, let the big spenders have them as a reward for long term custom or high value purchases.

It does have the problem that you might miss out on customers who could be solid clients in the future and want to start a relationship with you with a $10k watch and later would come back for a $20k or $40k one, and you turn them away in favour of your current whales. So, dealer should be polite about turning away the 100th disappointed SS customer for the week, rather than laughing in their face, but unfortunately these things are rare and money talks.

The advice that the best way to get these things is to spend big at the dealer, start small with non rare less desirable watches and work your way up over time, makes sense I suppose. But personally, I don't want a datejust - it might be iconic but I just don't have a need for one or interest in one. The aforementioned 'lesser sports models' are, unfortunately, 'lesser' IMO than a seadweller I already have or the 'more interesting sports models' that I'd like to buy but are difficult to get. I am lucky enough to have 4 nice watches and a few cheapies. I'm not going to bend over and spend thousands and thousands on a watch that I wouldn't even want in an 8-10 watch collection, just to potentially have slightly better access, somewhere down the line, to a watch I would want.

I guess we just have to keep our cash waiting on the sidelines for a recession / market slump and then go to town.
accountank2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 December 2018, 03:55 AM   #27
kyoto
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nairn1980 View Post
Everyone wants the models you want.
Buy a Datejust that’s in stock or some jewellery for that special someone and that’ll start a relationship.
This is an interesting way in but buying another to get in means having the readies and not all of us do.
kyoto is offline   Reply With Quote