The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Patek Philippe Discussion Forum

Old 15 December 2017, 02:48 AM   #1
mwasheikh
"TRF" Member

Patek 5235g HELP NEED ADVICE!

Hi all this is going to be my first PP, I was torn between this or an AP elephant.

I wanted to get some PP EXPERT advice.

What is the Pre-Owned price on this piece and I hear PP no longer makes this model. Does that make it more collectible? How much should I expect to pay for this watch? Are they hard to source on the preowned market? Finally any idea of service costs and if I get bored of it can I easily sell on? Is there a demand for it?

Cheers good sirs!

MWAS
mwasheikh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 December 2017, 02:57 AM   #2
JorgeCCW
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex,Patek and AP
That watch came up with great expectations, but it sunk ; certainly not collectible but a cool watch nonetheless.

I think u can easily get it BNIB or LNIB for 38k ; at least I saw like 2 in those conditions not so long ago.
Good luck

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

"Nothing happens until something moves "
Albert Einstein
JorgeCCW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 December 2017, 03:17 AM   #3
Marciano490
"TRF" Member

There's very little demand for it. There have been discontinuation rumors pretty much since it came out, but it's still being produced.

BNIB last I saw was 38-40, LNIB 35ish.
Marciano490 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 December 2017, 03:35 AM   #4
scotth888
"TRF" Member

My apologies for negativity but.....Personally, I am down on Patek right now. My somewhat recent / last experience with their service was less than stellar. Took almost 7 months to get a Aquanaut back from repair of the date not being centered in the display window. And they do so with no apologies!
Clearly remarkable time pieces BUT.....
scotth888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 December 2017, 03:54 AM   #5
tyler1980
"TRF" Member

i know nothing about that particular Patek other than its the polar opposite of the AP. I think both are very nice but that was one strange head to head. The Patek is more unique for sure.
tyler1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 December 2017, 05:01 AM   #6
pam66
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JorgeCCW View Post
That watch came up with great expectations, but it sunk ; certainly not collectible but a cool watch nonetheless.

I think u can easily get it BNIB or LNIB for 38k ; at least I saw like 2 in those conditions not so long ago.
Good luck

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
why you say it 'sunk'? i still think it is a very cool watch. it has a unique caliber, excellent dial design, nice AC complication and shows some thinking out of the box on thierry's side. still, legibility is great. i reordered it (after cancelling my order a month ago), but will only get it in about six months.
pam66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 December 2017, 05:07 AM   #7
JorgeCCW
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex,Patek and AP
Quote:
Originally Posted by pam66 View Post
why you say it 'sunk'?
Because it did, it was the first regulator that Patek ever did with limited production. People went on waiting lists for it; now you can get it brand new for 38k !!! I think it’s cool looking , but as far as collectivity .....don’t think so.

Sorry if I step on your toes , do you own one ?
That info is common knowledge though

Cheers

"Nothing happens until something moves "
Albert Einstein
JorgeCCW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 December 2017, 05:09 AM   #8
Sam Philip
Banned

5235G is still in production but it is hard get one from an AD in the UK. A Patek director in the UK recently told me it was a relatively rare watch and has the potential to be a collectible in the future compared to other annual calendars.
Sam Philip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 December 2017, 05:19 AM   #9
Passionata
"TRF" Member

Watch: the girls
Quote:
Because it did, it was the first regulator that Patek ever did with limited production. People went on waiting lists for it; now you can get it brand new for 38k !!! I think it’s cool looking , but as far as collectivity .....don’t think so.

Cheers
well for 38k(even for the half) there are plenty of other cool looking pieces from other brands and also from PP , it s an okay reference at the first sight but I think it s much harder to sell than a left hand drive car in the UK .

"Also remember that feet don't get fat and a watch will always speak volumes." Robert Johnston
---------------------
*new*https://youtu.be/EljAF-uddhE *new *

http://youtu.be/ZmpLoO1Q8eQ
IG @passionata1
Passionata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 December 2017, 05:22 AM   #10
pam66
"TRF" Member

Quote:

Cheers
nono...surely no toe-stepping here. just interested in your opinion. i'd say that it had a slow start:::::))))
Old 15 December 2017, 06:29 AM   #11
goog53
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex-Patek-AP
I owned and loved it but sold it because I went for a PC. Movement is great. Personally I dont like the apertures. I wish they wouldve just made it a time only piece. I paid $53,600 for it (Full List Price) then US had a price decrease. Grey dealers will currently offer 31-33K for it so if you sell you will take a major hit on it. It is a cool watch but IMO just wasnt marketed correctly. Release was delayed then they made a few batches then lowered the price in the US then production was halted for a year and now I am under the impression that they are in full production. Get a discount and buy because You love it but do not buy because you think it will be collectible.

"The best watch in the world is the one that's on your wrist." Morgan King

"Do you like having a good time? Then you need a good watch!" Rocky Balboa
goog53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 December 2017, 06:46 AM   #12
enjoythemusic
2024 Pledge Member

Agree with others, was not that well received and there are many, many, many Patek 5235g available for sale. i'd offer $32k max if open/worn with original box/papers/etc. Maybe $35k fully sealed and all bits as new, but that is top dollar. That's MAX price delivered. It's a buyers market big time and patience will be rewarded.
“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming 'Wow! What a Ride!'” -- Hunter S. Thompson

Sent from my Etch A Sketch using String Theory.
enjoythemusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 December 2017, 07:20 AM   #13
smallcollector
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by goog53 View Post
I owned and loved it but sold it because I went for a PC. Movement is great. Personally I dont like the apertures. I wish they wouldve just made it a time only piece. I paid $53,600 for it (Full List Price) then US had a price decrease. Grey dealers will currently offer 31-33K for it so if you sell you will take a major hit on it. It is a cool watch but IMO just wasnt marketed correctly. Release was delayed then they made a few batches then lowered the price in the US then production was halted for a year and now I am under the impression that they are in full production. Get a discount and buy because You love it but do not buy because you think it will be collectible.
I did the exact same thing. That price drop really hammered our values.
smallcollector is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 December 2017, 07:35 AM   #14
pam66
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by goog53 View Post
all correct -except that i personally do not find PCs more attractive than ACs, except of course for horological technology content. the choice to add an AC into the regulator is absolutely understandable -just makes it more versatile IMHO. certainly, it is not a piece to buy and resell after short time if you want to make a fast buck, but which AC is? or which PC? but there are some indications that the long-term future will be kind to the 5235G.
Old 15 December 2017, 08:01 AM   #15
mwasheikh
"TRF" Member

Thanks all for comments much appreciated!
mwasheikh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 December 2017, 08:24 AM   #16
AK797
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing ships roll in
I prefer the AP, the 5235 gets a bit washed out for me.
AK797 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 15 December 2017, 08:39 AM   #17
Chiboy
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytona
So I was reading about these regulators and the 5235 in particular. While I guess it's "interesting," damn that would be hard to read at a glance. Let's see 10 o'clock. 32 minutes. Ah, it's 10:32!

Some of these complications strike me as complexity for the sake of complexity. Like this ALS watch that has a sweeping second hand *and* a jumping second hand.
Old 15 December 2017, 10:10 AM   #18
dchang81
2024 Pledge Member

blows my mind can trade a 5711 for a 50k 5235. too bad it takes me a few minutes to read the time.
dchang81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 December 2017, 10:46 AM   #19
jon_jon
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mwasheikh View Post
Hi all this is going to be my first PP, I was torn between this or an AP elephant.

I wanted to get some PP EXPERT advice.

What is the Pre-Owned price on this piece and I hear PP no longer makes this model. Does that make it more collectible? How much should I expect to pay for this watch? Are they hard to source on the preowned market? Finally any idea of service costs and if I get bored of it can I easily sell on? Is there a demand for it?

Cheers good sirs!

MWAS
You will realize that a lot of discussion here on TRF's Patek section is about how much money you will lose or make with a watch purchase. With that in mind, if you are looking for a watch where you are concerned about losing value, go with a SS Nautilus/Aquanaut. However if you are looking to purchase a horological piece that you will rarely see outside of these forums or Patek ADs, a Patek AC regulator is definitely such a piece.
jon_jon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 December 2017, 11:03 AM   #20
GB-man
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: addiction issues
Easy to source. Demand is not strong currently. Sealed pieces are listed for 39k from major dealers so do the math on what preowned is worth. That said I think it’s a good value and cool watch.

My money says it maintains more of its market price than the elephant in 10 years.
Old 18 December 2017, 11:54 AM   #21
smallcollector
"TRF" Member

Let me know if you decide to go pre owned
smallcollector is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 December 2017, 02:04 AM   #22
enjoythemusic
2024 Pledge Member

As always, best bet is to call a few dealers saying you have one for sale, then take their offer price and make that your offer price. Never pay top/retail on highly available timepieces.

Easy :)
“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming 'Wow! What a Ride!'” -- Hunter S. Thompson

Sent from my Etch A Sketch using String Theory.
enjoythemusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 January 2018, 01:09 AM   #23
Rolexavidfan
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex
Sorry for the late chime in. I had the same question on the 5235 more because I want an AC but did not like the usual dial layout found on the 5146 or the 5205. The 5235 is a bit unique for me and that would complete my collection for now if I get one. Of course, it will be a bonus if it becomes a collectible in the future.

Go for the timepiece you love. You will save more. ...
Rolexavidfan is offline   Reply With Quote