The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Ω Omega Discussion Forum

Old 10 November 2015, 12:38 AM   #61
beshannon
"TRF" Member

Watch: One of Not Many
Quote:
Originally Posted by vman View Post
Am I the only one? Companies have to advertise, but the blunt product placement in the movie and association of a product with a fictitious character make me cringe. Sorry, Omega, I won't be buying your "Bond's choice" any time soon.

By the way, I am not an Omega basher by any means. Love my Speedy.
I agree 100%.

Show me real people that wear the watches, not paid shills or fake celebrities.
Vacheron Constantin Traditionnelle Complete Calendar, Glashutte PanoInverse, Glashutte SeaQ Panorama Date, Omega Aqua Terra 150, Omega CK 859, Omega Speedmaster 3861 Moonwatch, Glashutte Senator Exellence, Rolex 116710 GMT Master II BLNR, Breitling Superocean Steelfish, JLC Atmos Transparent
beshannon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 November 2015, 02:30 AM   #62
c9smw
"TRF" Member

I can't get over how many people are looking into this too deep. Bond wears a watch like the rest of us, it's just his do a bit more than tell the time !
The watch plays an integral part in the film, as does the Aston Martin, the Rolls Royce, the Jaguar and even the Fiat 500. So would it have been better to remove all the makers badges from all the cars, watches, mobile phones, computers, bottles of alcohol and everything else in the film ?
c9smw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 November 2015, 02:31 AM   #63
themaninblack
"TRF" Member

Steve McQueen, as the character Michael Delaney wore a Heuer, several, in the film Le Mans as a prop paid for and supplied by Heuer as product placement and Heuer have marketed off this for decades. It's silly fantasy stuff but I have no problem with a bit of fiction and fantasy. Heuer chronos are still great watches. It's like all the middle aged guys pottering around suburbia at 60kmh in a Maserati or a Ferrari or a Porsche, or an Aston Martin! They are just enjoying a fantasy when they might as well be comfortable and ride realistically as quickly in an S class Merc or a Lexus.
themaninblack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 November 2015, 02:42 AM   #64
Syed117
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by c9smw View Post
I can't get over how many people are looking into this too deep. Bond wears a watch like the rest of us, it's just his do a bit more than tell the time !
The watch plays an integral part in the film, as does the Aston Martin, the Rolls Royce, the Jaguar and even the Fiat 500. So would it have been better to remove all the makers badges from all the cars, watches, mobile phones, computers, bottles of alcohol and everything else in the film ?
Same here.

Of all the things to get worked up about, this doesn't seem that important.

Bond is a cultural icon that is known for driving amazing cars, wearing amazing suits, and also wearing amazing watches. The watches actually do something in the movies. Fantastical nonsense usually, but at least they've gotten somewhat more realistic with time.

To 99% of the population, seeing bond wearing an Omega is an incredibly smart business decision and proper use of product placement in a way that makes logical sense for the character. To all those people, it does the exact opposite of cheapen the brand.

People who can afford luxury watches tend to forget about the bubble they live in.
Old 10 November 2015, 02:48 AM   #65
warrior
"TRF" Member

Watch: Explorer
Bingo. I call it "watch forum" disease.
Quote:
Originally Posted by syed117 View Post
same here.

Bond is a cultural icon that is known for driving amazing cars, wearing amazing suits, and also wearing amazing watches. The watches actually do something in the movies. Fantastical nonsense usually, but at least they've gotten somewhat more realistic with time.

to 99% of the population, seeing bond wearing an omega is an incredibly smart business decision and proper use of product placement in a way that makes logical sense for the character. To all those people, it does the exact opposite of cheapen the brand.

people who can afford luxury watches tend to forget about the bubble they live in
warrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 November 2015, 05:18 AM   #66
SpaceWanderer
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Syed117 View Post
Same here.

To 99% of the population, seeing bond wearing an Omega is an incredibly smart business decision and proper use of product placement in a way that makes logical sense for the character. To all those people, it does the exact opposite of cheapen the brand.

People who can afford luxury watches tend to forget about the bubble they live in.
Yes, 99% of the population go to movies to see "smart business decisions."

Let me explain why some of the population (which is a bit larger than 1%, as even the press has asked Craig about it) has a problem with such product placement. Bond is a very beloved character for many. His creator went out of his way to describe the watch he wore, mentioning it by brand name more than once. The character and the watch were then associated together, and Bond wearing a Rolex on screen had nothing to do with Rolex trying to sell watches. Then years later, a company comes along and spends money to put THEIR watch on his wrist instead. They continue to do this to a rather ridiculous level, with Special Edition Bond watches, special boxing, etc. in an effort to steal the association from what was originally merely using what was stipulated by the author as a place to advertise their stuff. It's blatant marketing crap which you seem to think is smart. I think it's just another way of compromising a story to change it into a commercial. Proper use of product placement? A commercial is one thing, sticking one in a movie/play/TV show/etc. is disrespectful to the audience and why they came to see the damn thing in the first place.
SpaceWanderer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 November 2015, 06:14 AM   #67
Syed117
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpaceWanderer View Post
Yes, 99% of the population go to movies to see "smart business decisions."

Let me explain why some of the population (which is a bit larger than 1%, as even the press has asked Craig about it) has a problem with such product placement. Bond is a very beloved character for many. His creator went out of his way to describe the watch he wore, mentioning it by brand name more than once. The character and the watch were then associated together, and Bond wearing a Rolex on screen had nothing to do with Rolex trying to sell watches. Then years later, a company comes along and spends money to put THEIR watch on his wrist instead. They continue to do this to a rather ridiculous level, with Special Edition Bond watches, special boxing, etc. in an effort to steal the association from what was originally merely using what was stipulated by the author as a place to advertise their stuff. It's blatant marketing crap which you seem to think is smart. I think it's just another way of compromising a story to change it into a commercial. Proper use of product placement? A commercial is one thing, sticking one in a movie/play/TV show/etc. is disrespectful to the audience and why they came to see the damn thing in the first place.
Went out of his way? Perhaps a little more research is needed on your part.

Ian Fleming wrote 14 Bond novels, and 9 short stories.

The first time Rolex was mentioned by name was in his 2nd novel in 1954. Then Rolex was referred to by name again in his 11th novel which was published 9 years later.

If anything, he went out of his way not to mention Rolex. You would think that if this amazing connection is what people make it out to be, it would have a little more importance than Fleming himself gave it.

I am personally not a fan of any person tied to a particular product. Real or fictional. A golfer or a tennis player finishing at a tournament and immediately putting on their sponsored watch always makes me cringe. It's a turn off, but it doesn't take away my enjoyment of that product.

Product placement makes sense because real products exist in the world. It's a lot more jarring to see a character using some no name item or something where the branding has clearly been taken off. All that matters is that the shots themselves make sense to the character and world. Bond driving an amazing car or wearing a nice watch? Yes, that makes sense. Bond suddenly taking time to drink Coke for some reason? No.

Do they go overboard? Sure. That however is the world we live in. Most people don't have this terrible a reaction to a product being shown on screen for 10 seconds in two hour movie. If that is enough to ruin a movie for you, I don't really know what to tell you.

Almost every big budget blockbuster has product placement. James Bond is a fictional character that has used gadget watches in movies. So it would make sense that a watch manufacturer would want to capitalize on that connection.

I'd love to see people complaining about other product placement in this movie or the previous few.

Bond drives a ford!
Bond drinks Heineken!
Bond uses Sony electronics!
Bond wears Tom Ford clothing and accessories!

I guess those are fine because Ian Fleming definitely mentioned those things more often than the two books in which he mentioned Rolex.
Syed117 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 November 2015, 09:22 AM   #68
vman
"TRF" Member

Watch: less TV
^
Do any of those products--Heineken, etc.--put up a blatant association with the character?
vman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 November 2015, 10:01 AM   #69
SpaceWanderer
Banned

Quote:
Went out of his way? Perhaps a little more research is needed on your part.

Ian Fleming wrote 14 Bond novels, and 9 short stories.

The first time Rolex was mentioned by name was in his 2nd novel in 1954. Then Rolex was referred to by name again in his 11th novel which was published 9 years later.

If anything, he went out of his way not to mention Rolex. You would think that if this amazing connection is what people make it out to be, it would have a little more importance than Fleming himself gave it.

I am personally not a fan of any person tied to a particular product. Real or fictional. A golfer or a tennis player finishing at a tournament and immediately putting on their sponsored watch always makes me cringe. It's a turn off, but it doesn't take away my enjoyment of that product.

Product placement makes sense because real products exist in the world. It's a lot more jarring to see a character using some no name item or something where the branding has clearly been taken off. All that matters is that the shots themselves make sense to the character and world. Bond driving an amazing car or wearing a nice watch? Yes, that makes sense. Bond suddenly taking time to drink Coke for some reason? No.

Do they go overboard? Sure. That however is the world we live in. Most people don't have this terrible a reaction to a product being shown on screen for 10 seconds in two hour movie. If that is enough to ruin a movie for you, I don't really know what to tell you.

Almost every big budget blockbuster has product placement. James Bond is a fictional character that has used gadget watches in movies. So it would make sense that a watch manufacturer would want to capitalize on that connection.

I'd love to see people complaining about other product placement in this movie or the previous few.

Bond drives a ford!
Bond drinks Heineken!
Bond uses Sony electronics!
Bond wears Tom Ford clothing and accessories!

I guess those are fine because Ian Fleming definitely mentioned those things more often than the two books in which he mentioned Rolex.
Rolex was mentioned in at least three novels: Thunderball, Live and Let Die and On Her Majesty's Secret Service. That's without getting up and looking, there could well be more. But I should forgive people who tell other people to do more research and then just embarrass themselves. It's the world we live in.
Old 10 November 2015, 12:57 PM   #70
WJGESQ
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBluePrince View Post
The whole Omega/Bond thing is a joke, everyone knows Bond always wore Rolex and Omega are now just the highest bidder.
Not sure that's a fair statement.
WJGESQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 November 2015, 02:40 PM   #71
Robbie68
"TRF" Member

Watch: Bond 60th
I just went on The Bentley Forum, they're all upset about Bond driving an Aston!
Robbie68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 November 2015, 11:36 PM   #72
jmiicustomz
"TRF" Member

Watch: 1953 pre explorer
Quote:
Originally Posted by vman View Post
^
Do any of those products--Heineken, etc.--put up a blatant association with the character?
Yes they do. Heineken has quite a bit.
jmiicustomz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 November 2015, 03:53 AM   #73
ndsleep612
"TRF" Member

Watch: Ex.2.
Chopard does the annual Cannes Film festival, Omega does NASA and "current" James Bond Rolex does F1, golf, xyz everything else. What else is new?
ndsleep612 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 November 2015, 05:35 AM   #74
outtatime
"TRF" Member

Watch: Deepsea
Wow. I'm amazed at the amount of time and effort and energy expended on worrying about this.

Spectre was an awesome movie, regardless of the watch worn. I guess if people want to be concerned and go out of their way to be offended that's their prerogative. As for me and my house, we shall be getting a Spectre SM300! :)

Scratches ≠ "Character"
outtatime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 November 2015, 05:36 AM   #75
themaninblack
"TRF" Member

Fleming described Bond as being 6ft tall and having dark almost black hair so the current guy must be an imposter!

As to cras advertising Rolex billboards and hoardings encircle the Melbourne F1 track to be seen from every and surely there has never been a more artificial, contrived and useless event in the history of 'sport' as modern day F1.
Old 11 November 2015, 05:51 AM   #76
cardiel
"TRF" Member

The new Bond movies are one gigantic product placement.
cardiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 November 2015, 06:10 AM   #77
SpaceWanderer
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robbie68 View Post
I just went on The Bentley Forum, they're all upset about Bond driving an Aston!
Can't blame them. Bond's FrankenBentley is featured prominently in the books (until it gets totaled), and I'm sure was part of the inspiration for Chitty Chitty Bang Bang which Fleming wrote later. The thing was a supercharged beast.
Old 11 November 2015, 06:12 AM   #78
photodork
"TRF" Member

Watch: '57 oyster royal
i enjoyed brosnans take on jb. i liked it enough to buy my first 'real' watch, the seamaster pro. more than 15yrs later, i still enjoy the hell out of this thing. its my daily wearer and rarely take it off.

cool story, i was working as an lan admin and was doing some upgrades on a primary/elementary school, when a 6 yr old boy came over to me and asked if i had james bonds watch as he has seen it in the video games. i told him i had the civilian model. he was disappointed as he wanted me to shoot the laser through the 400 gallon fishtank to see if it would burn a hole in the glass.

[IMG][/IMG]
photodork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 November 2015, 06:28 AM   #79
artschool
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robbie68 View Post
I suppose they could portray the Bond character as an average guy, buys suits at Macy's, wears a Casio or Timex and drives a Ford Focus but where's the fun in that?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LMaXcqD7CU0

lol. he does drive a ford.
artschool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 November 2015, 09:06 AM   #80
Tony64
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by themaninblack View Post
Fleming described Bond as being 6ft tall and having dark almost black hair so the current guy must be an imposter!

As to cras advertising Rolex billboards and hoardings encircle the Melbourne F1 track to be seen from every and surely there has never been a more artificial, contrived and useless event in the history of 'sport' as modern day F1.
Woah, woah, woah. Hold on there a second. We can have a civil disagreement on product placement, but to describe F1 as a 'useless event'? That's just uninformed.

Formula One racing is a billion dollar industry that has produced major contributions and technological advancements that we enjoy every day. Do you drive a car? Thank Formula One.
Suspension, ignition, steering, traction control, brake technology, advanced safety features, and even tire development is in large part thanks to Formula One.

Still think its a 'useless sport'? Take some time and read a little about the incredible developments that have translated from track to road. I think you might reconsider your opinion.
Tony64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 November 2015, 10:21 AM   #81
SpaceWanderer
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony64 View Post
Woah, woah, woah. Hold on there a second. We can have a civil disagreement on product placement, but to describe F1 as a 'useless event'? That's just uninformed.

Formula One racing is a billion dollar industry that has produced major contributions and technological advancements that we enjoy every day. Do you drive a car? Thank Formula One.
Suspension, ignition, steering, traction control, brake technology, advanced safety features, and even tire development is in large part thanks to Formula One.

Still think its a 'useless sport'? Take some time and read a little about the incredible developments that have translated from track to road. I think you might reconsider your opinion.
Well said, and it's the same as with motorcycle racing. So many of the advancements (especially on the tire and braking side) that modern street bikes enjoy come straight from racing development. In many ways the line has been even more direct from the track to the street with bikes, but F1 racing has even helped motorcycle development especially in the area of materials use. To say these advancements have saved a lot of lives is no overstatement.
Old 11 November 2015, 10:25 AM   #82
themaninblack
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony64 View Post

All of that could have and would have been developed without F1 if there was a will to do so. There are many ways to conduct R&D but all of the stuff about advancements in technology for the everyday man through F1 is largely marketing hyperbole. Okay call me a cynic. Tesla has substantially blown the entire nonsense of the auto industry out of the water but that's a big and seperate debate.

Back to this debate, Rolex is really no different to Omega or Tag Heuer in the marketing of myth and legend and saturating popular events with their presence.
Old 11 November 2015, 01:11 PM   #83
Robbie68
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Can't blame them. Bond's FrankenBentley is featured prominently in the books (until it gets totaled), and I'm sure was part of the inspiration for Chitty Chitty Bang Bang which Fleming wrote later. The thing was a supercharged beast.
Great point.
Levity at last!
Old 11 November 2015, 01:13 PM   #84
Robbie68
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by artschool View Post
That's a Mondeo so that's okay
Old 12 November 2015, 03:21 AM   #85
RNomura
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex Explorer II
Quote:
Originally Posted by artschool View Post
What's wrong with driving a Ford? I drive a Ford...
RNomura is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 November 2015, 04:03 AM   #86
Syed117
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Rolex was mentioned in at least three novels: Thunderball, Live and Let Die and On Her Majesty's Secret Service. That's without getting up and looking, there could well be more. But I should forgive people who tell other people to do more research and then just embarrass themselves. It's the world we live in.
I couldn't find anything about it being mentioned in Thunderball, so if you have something to back that up, I'd love to see it. Then again, this is the internet and people do tend to say anything with absolute confidence.

http://commanderbond.net/9641/how-i-...ond-watch.html

Despite those things, let's say that you're right and I'm wrong. That brings that massive total to three novels. You're acting like this new piece of evidence suddenly changes the entire argument. Ok, so maybe he mentioned Rolex by name in 3 (instead of 2 out) of 14 novels and 9 short stories.

That really changes everything.

Again, I'd love to see some of your research into where exactly it appears in Thunderball.
Syed117 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 November 2015, 04:12 AM   #87
locutus49
Banned

Watch: Platona
Ian Fleming used certain brands - Rolex, Smedley shirts, etc. - as social markers to color his Bond character as an upper class gentleman, which Ian himself was. Ian Fleming also wore a Rolex and his character was partly based on himself. Source: the biography of Ian Fleming.
locutus49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 November 2015, 06:35 AM   #88
SpaceWanderer
Banned

Quote:
I couldn't find anything about it being mentioned in Thunderball, so if you have something to back that up, I'd love to see it. Then again, this is the internet and people do tend to say anything with absolute confidence.

http://commanderbond.net/9641/how-i-...ond-watch.html

Despite those things, let's say that you're right and I'm wrong. That brings that massive total to three novels. You're acting like this new piece of evidence suddenly changes the entire argument. Ok, so maybe he mentioned Rolex by name in 3 (instead of 2 out) of 14 novels and 9 short stories.

That really changes everything.

Again, I'd love to see some of your research into where exactly it appears in Thunderball.
Thunderball, Page 85. "For the tenth time, Petacchi consulted the Rolex."

You might try reading the book.
Old 12 November 2015, 12:27 PM   #89
vman
"TRF" Member

Watch: less TV
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmiicustomz View Post
Yes they do. Heineken has quite a bit.
I stand corrected. Just saw the beer ad. Meh... Cheapens Bond!
vman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 November 2015, 12:42 PM   #90
psv
"TRF" Member

I cannot stand Omega's forced connection to James Bond. And the Swatch Group's tendency to beat a dead horse when it comes to marketing (how many limited/special run Speedmasters can you make?)

Don't get me wrong, Omega is a great watch brand, they have some epic designs, but their modern day marketing dept drives me crazy.

Oh well, bought product placement in movies irks me in general, but nothing more so then Omega and JB.
psv is offline   Reply With Quote