The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Ω Omega Discussion Forum

Old 23 February 2016, 01:27 PM   #1
chirojared
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex Sub-C
Omega Speedmaster GSOTM chipped lug

My Omega Speedmaster Grey side of the moon watch fell from a short distance onto a hard floor and the bottom crown/pusher side lug got chipped as you can see in the following pictures. I brought the watch to the Omega service center in NYC and they advised me that the only option is to replace the entire case at a cost of roughly $7000. I obviously didn't choose that option because that is pretty much the cost to replace the entire watch.

They stated that the couldn't confirm whether the watch was structurally sound due to the proximity of where the chip occurred to where the spring bar inserts into the case. Mechanically they stated the watch was 0.5 seconds a day fast. With that accuracy I could only assume the fall if anything improved the accuracy since that is better than I could have hoped for on any timepiece.

What I am left with is a mechanically sound, structurally uncertain watch with a noticeable chip to the naked eye. I could live with the chip as a battle wound if I knew that the watch was not going to fall off my wrist. Omega acknowledged that there might be a procedure to fill in the chip with some sort of epoxy/cement but they don't perform anything other than case replacement as per their protocol.

I was hoping that someone can give me some advice to help me possibly mend this once beautiful timepiece. Is there any way to definitively check the stability of the springbar attachment to the case other than the standard wiggle test that it passed?

My initial research online indicated that possibly dentists use ZrO2 in their practice so if any dentists can give suggestions that would be wonderful and greatly appreciated. I called and spoke to a couple of local jewelers that some felt they could mend the watch and some who didn't want to touch the ceramic at all.

I figured that this forum would be a good place to seek advise from before making any decisions. Thank you in advance for any help that you can provide.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_6892.jpg (63.0 KB, 1126 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_6893.jpg (60.0 KB, 1083 views)
chirojared is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 February 2016, 01:47 PM   #2
sco
"TRF" Member

Watch: Subc AT 8500 CSO
Sorry to see this happen. I hope there is something that can be done, maybe on Omega's side. Good luck
sco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 February 2016, 01:47 PM   #3
srvrf
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: PP/AP
Damn that sucks. The only problem I could see with a repair is possibly making the strap permanent by gluing the springbar. Makes you think twice about a ceramic case. Good luck

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
srvrf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 February 2016, 01:52 PM   #4
chirojared
"TRF" Member

Thank you for the tip srvrf. I have the same concern but was hoping there was a substance that could fill in the gap without binding to the springbar or closing up the hole.
Old 23 February 2016, 03:24 PM   #5
sensui
2024 Pledge Member

First off....as a fellow GSOTM owner, I'm so sorry this happened to your watch. A bit ticked myself for Omega not taking care of you but I guess it's to be expected as it's obviously from a drop. Whatever you do, please keep the thread updated in what you decide to do to perhaps help the rest of us god forbid if something like this occurred to our ceramic cases. Best of luck.
sensui is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 February 2016, 03:39 PM   #6
chirojared
"TRF" Member

Thanks Sensui. I will definitely keep everyone informed on what happens. They were very professional at Omega and understand where they are coming from. My concern is that it wasn't that significant a drop and was shocked when I saw the chip. I never thought that it would chip that easily. Like I stated in my original post the movement wasn't affected whatsoever by the fall. I love the watch but I would be very reluctant to purchase another ceramic watch based on what happened and that Omega charges roughly $7000 for a replacement case when damaged.
Old 23 February 2016, 04:19 PM   #7
Syed117
"TRF" Member

Wow. That must feel terrible. Sorry to see that.

People on watch forums might start using your experience as a case against ceramic watches.

Was the watch insured?

It's not always the answer, but maybe reach out to the watch blogs or Omega on social media. People tend to have better luck if issues like this made public. Obviously assuming that it was as minor a drop as you've made it out to be. Can't hurt to try.
Old 23 February 2016, 04:28 PM   #8
Baco Noir
"TRF" Member

Watch: this ya'll
So sorry to hear this. It's one of the things making me resist the urge to buy one.

Do you still have the chip? If so, maybe it can be glued back in place.
Current Collection: Rolex 116710BLNR & 216570 polar Explorer II; Omega Apollo 8 Speedmaster; Tudor BB Bronze Bucherer Blue Edition; Heuer Heritage Autavia; Nomos Club Sport Neomatik 42; Breitling Aerospace, Avenger Blackbird, & Superocean 44; Seiko Black Monster; Mickey Mouse Timex Electric; and dare I say it...an Apple Watch too
Baco Noir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 February 2016, 04:50 PM   #9
chirojared
"TRF" Member

Unfortunately I didn't have insurance on the watch. I expected the watch to be a lot more durable like my stainless steel watches. I wasn't able to locate any chips. I would love to have Omega fix the watch under warranty but they specifically said that physical damage is not covered under warranty under any circumstance and that ceramic watches are prone to this happening under any direct impact. I just couldn't believe that they wanted roughly $7000 to replace the case for a small chip. I wonder if the springbar somehow caused the watch to chip there because it doesn't look like a high impact location being that the leather band attaches right there.

Omega wanted to obviously protect their interest and not tell me whether or not I could wear the watch safely. I guess if they told me that I could wear it and something happened they would be liable. Hopefully a local jeweler can give me insight onto how deep the springbar is sitting in the case hole.
Old 23 February 2016, 06:11 PM   #10
Fleetlord
"TRF" Member

You're not alone with these ceramic case breaks...

Maybe your homeowners insurance could cover it even if you don't have specific coverage on watch.

Maybe Omega could recase the watch in a steel case as a one off concession...there is a steel version of this reference.

Can you post a closer macro of the chip? There may be enough lug left to still hold the spring bar...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (192.8 KB, 999 views)
Fleetlord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 February 2016, 12:27 AM   #11
malik713
"TRF" Member

Watch: PAM 111
I don't know why the gsotm doesn't have a deployant buckle to prevent some of these drops.

Sorry to hear that this happened to you.
malik713 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 February 2016, 12:59 AM   #12
KBM
2024 Pledge Member

Ouch, very sorry to read this, it's a beautiful watch. I own the dsotm and always have a chill go through my spine when putting it on over hard floors.
KBM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 February 2016, 01:09 AM   #13
locutus49
Banned

Watch: Platona
Did you keep the chip? Superglue is your friend.
locutus49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 February 2016, 01:54 AM   #14
chirojared
"TRF" Member

It must have shattered because I didn't find any chips. I just went to a reputable watchmaker who told me that the watch appeared to be stable and I should be able to wear it because the hole where the springbar attaches to is deep enough. He advised me to write a letter to the president of omega explaining what happened and maybe something can be done. He told me that he has seen this happen many times and tells his customers to avoid ceramic watches.
Old 24 February 2016, 03:43 AM   #15
Baco Noir
"TRF" Member

Watch: this ya'll
Quote:
Originally Posted by malik713 View Post
I don't know why the gsotm doesn't have a deployant buckle to prevent some of these drops.

I hear that is coming out soon and been a concern of mine since the outset.
Current Collection: Rolex 116710BLNR & 216570 polar Explorer II; Omega Apollo 8 Speedmaster; Tudor BB Bronze Bucherer Blue Edition; Heuer Heritage Autavia; Nomos Club Sport Neomatik 42; Breitling Aerospace, Avenger Blackbird, & Superocean 44; Seiko Black Monster; Mickey Mouse Timex Electric; and dare I say it...an Apple Watch too
Baco Noir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 February 2016, 04:18 AM   #16
WyoWatch
"TRF" Member

Watch: 1675 GMT and Sub C
Ouch! Sorry to see that. I'm betting that's going to be one expensive case replacement. :(
WyoWatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 February 2016, 05:18 AM   #17
sensui
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by malik713 View Post

The initial batches of the Dark Side of the Moon/Grey Side of the Moon all had ceramic buckles. The most recent ones (all variations of the dark side) are all revised with the Omega ceramic deployant.

This thread is scaring me hard with the pictures. Gotta handle that Grey Side gingerly from now on. I will say the thing is near impossible to scratch though changing straps etc, that's one plus side.
sensui is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 February 2016, 07:58 AM   #18
Vaxe
"TRF" Member

From your photo, it doesn't appear the spring bar is in danger of unclipping from the lug hole, since the area around the hole itself is undamaged.
Vaxe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 February 2016, 09:41 AM   #19
crazycarlitos
"TRF" Member

Wow that sucks.

Makes me apprehensive about purchasing such fragile ceramic "tool" watch...
Old 24 February 2016, 10:29 AM   #20
richard371
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116500LN White
Sorry to hear that. I figured with the number of these watches being sold we will start seeing a few more hits although it's still very rare to break one of these. I recommend insurance to anyone for any high end watch and go for the deployment buckle. I hope Omega will do the right thing here. They are mass producing these things and if it gets out that they are charging 7k for repairing it it will deter people from buying and hurt their sales in the long run.
richard371 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 February 2016, 10:33 AM   #21
R.J.
"TRF" Member

Watch: milgaus gv
My heart goes out to you. Would you wear it on a NATO strap? ? If the spring bar came off, your watch would not be lost.
Old 24 February 2016, 10:36 AM   #22
richard371
"TRF" Member

It's not a tool watch and it's not that fragile 99.99 percent that have ceramic watches are enjoying the benefits over the few we hear about being dropped onto hard floors. Yes as more and more are sold we will hear of situations like this but these companies have done their homework. Ive heard stories about people dropping them, knocking them hard against metal doors etc and No issues. It's a very tough, hard, strong material but if hit at the wrong angle the wrong way there is potential for catastrophic failure.
Quote:
Originally Posted by crazycarlitos View Post
Wow that sucks.

Makes me apprehensive about purchasing such fragile ceramic "tool" watch...
Old 24 February 2016, 11:07 AM   #23
bdex75
"TRF" Member

Watch: my money vanish
That sucks. And $7000 to recase the watch is crazy. Glad it is wearable and I second the NATO option as a back up plan.

Don't think there is an insurance that would have covered that anyhow. Is there?

I always take my watches off/on over the carpet or bed. Bet the OP does now as well !!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
bdex75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 February 2016, 11:10 AM   #24
chirojared
"TRF" Member

Hey R.J. i have never used a NATO strap on a watch before. How would it help to save my watch if the springbar came off? I actually wore the watch today and it felt very stable on my wrist. it definitely wasn't a total loss for me since the watch is still wearable. Maybe I should consider myself lucky.

As a WIS of course my eyes are drawn to the chip but most people that I have shown said that it is hardly noticeable. Maybe they were being kind to make me feel better.

I'm still holding out for someone that might have a suggestion on how to possibly fill in the chip and smooth it out. I know the watch will never be perfect again but what in the world is. As of now I'm trying to stay positive and hopefully one day I will wear the watch and call it my imperfect perfect watch!
Old 24 February 2016, 11:23 AM   #25
crazycarlitos
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by richard371 View Post
It's not a tool watch and it's not that fragile 99.99 percent that have ceramic watches are enjoying the benefits over the few we hear about being dropped onto hard floors. Yes as more and more are sold we will hear of situations like this but these companies have done their homework. Ive heard stories about people dropping them, knocking them hard against metal doors etc and No issues. It's a very tough, hard, strong material but if hit at the wrong angle the wrong way there is potential for catastrophic failure.
Hahaha obviously this watch is not a true tool watch. hence the quote marks.
but any chrono should be a tool watch

No high end watch case should crack from hitting the floor from few feet above imo
But that's the weakness of ceramic. They can be brittle.

it's ridiculous for omega to recommend OP pay for new case @ $7000 on practically new watch.
Old 24 February 2016, 12:21 PM   #26
richard371
"TRF" Member

I consider a tool watch something I would wear when working on my car, rock climbing, building a house, etc. I would not wear any nice fine swiss while doing these things. I do not consider my sub a tool watch either. I agreed with a buddy of mine that has both the DS and GS and we will take the scratch resistance over the very rare chance of dropping it and breaking it. Im far more worried about getting it stolen hence the insurance. Ive had mine 2 years and looks brand new. Don't get me wrong I like having a variety of materials in my collection as they all serve different purposes. I had a Daytona that after a couple of years looked like it went through a meat grinder (ok not quiet that bad but I got tired of looking at it.) I sold the Daytona over the DS and do not regret my decision one bit. Out of the 30 or so watches I've had I never get tired of the DS. My advice is to anyone who really wants one don't let these rare incendents deter you and yes the Deployment buckles are the way to go so make sure you get the latest versions with these. The deployment feels better, looks better, easier to get on and off and hold and most of all offers better protection. It will be interesting to see how many of these dropped watches are tang vs deployment buckle.

I really hope Omega will do something for this gentleman in good faith. With these things being mass produced I know the cost has to come down. 7k is just ridiculous. And please sent it back to him with a deployment :)

Good luck

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazycarlitos View Post
Hahaha obviously this watch is not a true tool watch. hence the quote marks.
but any chrono should be a tool watch

No high end watch case should crack from hitting the floor from few feet above imo
But that's the weakness of ceramic. They can be brittle.

it's ridiculous for omega to recommend OP pay for new case @ $7000 on practically new watch.
Old 24 February 2016, 12:45 PM   #27
Lange1
"TRF" Member

Sorry you heard about your problem. I love ceramic, it's light and strong. But people tend to forget about a density of the material! Even steel can get ding no wonder why ceramic cannot crack.
I don't know why they make ceramic case but equipped with tang buckle instead of Ti (with black DLC) deployment to keep the watch safe of any harms. Such a ridiculous.
Lange1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 February 2016, 01:01 PM   #28
richard371
"TRF" Member

I think I understand what you are trying here :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lange1 View Post
Sorry you heard about your problem. But people tend to forget about a density of material! Even steel can get ding no wonder why ceramic cannot crack.

Sent from my SM-N9208 using Tapatalk
Old 24 February 2016, 01:12 PM   #29
josephvman
Banned

I've liked that piece since it was introduced, but I've had reservations about the ceramic case, and this only reinforces them. Frankly I personally couldn't see myself spending a significant amount of money to repair it, and would probably just sell it as-is and get what I could get for it. It's disappointing that Omega can't accommodate the "early-adopters" of these ceramic cases with some special pricing on these type of repairs. It would be good for business, because I think anyone who was on the fence on one of these models and read this thread probably choked when they saw the repair cost and likely decided it just wasn't worth it. I know I did!
josephvman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 February 2016, 03:10 PM   #30
ec51
"TRF" Member

Watch: yourself
They way NATOs attach, it would take a simultaneous double spring bar failure to lose the watch.

Really sorry to hear about this.

But honestly, why would you ever think Omega should be covering this under warranty?

However, $7k is crazy.

Eric
ec51 is offline   Reply With Quote