The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > General Topics > Open Discussion Forum

Old 22 February 2018, 09:15 PM   #31
Abdullah71601
Banned

Watch: ing da Bears
I'm looking at hybrid storage(512G SSD and 2TB HDD). Should the OS go on the SSD or the HDD?

Quote:
Originally Posted by hdrazor251 View Post
Not a gaming build, but I bought a MSI new about 8 or 9 years ago and have had no issues. It somehow made the minimum specs to upgrade from Windows 7 to Windows 10 and my wife still uses it. I would buy the brand again in a heartbeat.
Thanks. Good to know.
Abdullah71601 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 February 2018, 10:08 PM   #32
SearChart
TechXpert

OS on SSD for sure.
SearChart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 February 2018, 10:32 PM   #33
Abdullah71601
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by SearChart View Post
OS on SSD for sure.

The reviews on the MSI laptops within my budget are gnarly on Amazon, which is where the MSI website directs me when I click the buy button. A lot of configuration and boot problems. Some of the other retailers have poor reviews of these "budget" models too.

If I extend the budget to $3200 the MSI reviews don't improve too much, but I can build a Clevo with an i7-8700K, GTX 1080, 32GB, 512SSD/1TB, 4K.
Old 23 February 2018, 01:35 AM   #34
5Zigen
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: PP, AP, Rolex
I have had 2 Clevo/Sager laptops and never had any issues. Highly customizable, I used it as a desktop replacement and gaming, was able to handle anything i threw at it.

I got mine through https://www.xoticpc.com but there are many sites that carry the brand.

You can checkout http://www.tomsguide.com to read up on reviews and people's experiences on Clevo/Sager products if you haven't done so already.
5Zigen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 February 2018, 02:25 AM   #35
droptopman
"TRF" Member

Watch: SUBS and GMT's!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Abdullah71601 View Post

The reviews on the MSI laptops within my budget are gnarly on Amazon, which is where the MSI website directs me when I click the buy button. A lot of configuration and boot problems. Some of the other retailers have poor reviews of these "budget" models too.

If I extend the budget to $3200 the MSI reviews don't improve too much, but I can build a Clevo with an i7-8700K, GTX 1080, 32GB, 512SSD/1TB, 4K.
Indeed, I did 3 of the Clevo "gaming sytems P170EM 17.3" in 2012. All 3 still running strong. Similar builds to what you have above but 2012 tech. I did upgrade the fans, cooling system and wifi card in all 3 which is a good investment. With the SSD and good fans, you cannot hear them run and they stay cool. Back then they were 1850$ each--SSD were still expensive back then. Not a great travel laptop as she is a little bulky and heavy but performs like a desktop. I carry a Lenova Yoga when traveling.

Sorry I should have looked at the invoices sooner. Might have saved you some time.
Ty: By height.
droptopman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 February 2018, 02:39 AM   #36
Abdullah71601
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by droptopman View Post
Indeed, I did 3 of the Clevo "gaming sytems P170EM 17.3" in 2012. All 3 still running strong. Similar builds to what you have above but 2012 tech. I did upgrade the fans, cooling system and wifi card in all 3 which is a good investment. With the SSD and good fans, you cannot hear them run and they stay cool. Back then they were 1850$ each--SSD were still expensive back then. Not a great travel laptop as she is a little bulky and heavy but performs like a desktop. I carry a Lenova Yoga when traveling.

Sorry I should have looked at the invoices sooner. Might have saved you some time.
Thanks Mark. The journey, plus your input, pretty much has me going to a Clevo build. Online reviews are good and AVA builds are close to budget.
Old 23 February 2018, 04:29 AM   #37
Abdullah71601
Banned

Next question. Warranties seem to vary. What are the likely failures after the standard 1 year that would prompt me to pay out the wazoo for extended warranties? And, is a dead pixel warranty worth the money?

Current build plan is CLEVO 17.3 4k, i7 7700HK, gtx 1060, kingston 32gb RAM, 2 x 1TB Samsung SSD. For about $500 over budget. If I go with SATA SSDs I can buy it at budget (before warranty costs).
Old 23 February 2018, 06:54 AM   #38
andromeda160
Banned

Watch: Rolex Oyster
Can't say too much about them as I have no personal experience other than buying and selling them. But from a value retention standpoint they are up there. Seems to be a healthy demand on the secondary market which usually means they are a good product.
andromeda160 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 February 2018, 06:57 AM   #39
droptopman
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Next question. Warranties seem to vary. What are the likely failures after the standard 1 year that would prompt me to pay out the wazoo for extended warranties? And, is a dead pixel warranty worth the money?

Current build plan is CLEVO 17.3 4k, i7 7700HK, gtx 1060, kingston 32gb RAM, 2 x 1TB Samsung SSD. For about $500 over budget. If I go with SATA SSDs I can buy it at budget (before warranty costs).
Do at least one SSD. Use it for boot and running programs then use a SATA to save your pics and docs. Totally worth it and a fair compromise. I never do the extended warranty but I have IT guys that usually can fix if needed. I did get a dead pix on a laptop and just live with it. Luckily it is on the top left corner of the screen and not really an issue. That was a few years back and I think the screens are better now.
Old 23 February 2018, 07:08 AM   #40
Abdullah71601
Banned

Quote:
Do at least one SSD. Use it for boot and running programs then use a SATA to save your pics and docs. Totally worth it and a fair compromise. I never do the extended warranty but I have IT guys that usually can fix if needed. I did get a dead pix on a laptop and just live with it. Luckily it is on the top left corner of the screen and not really an issue. That was a few years back and I think the screens are better now.
I’m leaning toward a Samsung 960 Evo 1TB SSD on the PCIe slot and a 2TB HDD on the SATA slot. The Samsung SSD is pretty fast (5400/3200 Mb/s) and should work really well with CAD apps. The HDD will be for pics and what not. This gets me back to budget with plenty of fast storage.
Old 23 February 2018, 08:34 AM   #41
droptopman
"TRF" Member

Quote:
I’m leaning toward a Samsung 960 Evo 1TB SSD on the PCIe slot and a 2TB HDD on the SATA slot. The Samsung SSD is pretty fast (5400/3200 Mb/s) and should work really well with CAD apps. The HDD will be for pics and what not. This gets me back to budget with plenty of fast storage.
Perfect setup.
Old 23 February 2018, 09:41 AM   #42
Abdullah71601
Banned

Quote:
Perfect setup.
I ordered from AVA today. Hopefully it will arrive before my current laptop gives up the ghost.
Old 20 March 2018, 06:23 AM   #43
Abdullah71601
Banned

Quote:
I ordered from AVA today. Hopefully it will arrive before my current laptop gives up the ghost.
An update. AVA has been building it for about three weeks, or so they say. I get the same answer every week, so who knows what’s really going on.

Any suggestions from the gallery? Does it take a month to build a laptop?
Old 20 March 2018, 08:59 AM   #44
droptopman
"TRF" Member

Sorry to hear this. I looked through my old emails but did not keep the shipping notice. I cannot remember the time frame from order to delivery.
Old 20 March 2018, 09:21 AM   #45
Abdullah71601
Banned

Quote:
Sorry to hear this. I looked through my old emails but did not keep the shipping notice. I cannot remember the time frame from order to delivery.
I haven’t done a custom build like this before. Maybe this is normal in this industry?
Old 24 March 2018, 09:19 AM   #46
Abdullah71601
Banned

Laptop arrived today. It's a pretty sick machine. Thanks to Mark (droptopman) for connecting me to AVA Direct.

I've turned off Cortana, the cloud, and set all the obvious privacy settings in the Settings menus. Are there any hidden settings in Windows 10 Home that I should be looking for?

Can automatic update be turned off in Windows 10 (long time 7 Pro user, first 10 experience).
Old 24 March 2018, 09:28 AM   #47
Baco Noir
"TRF" Member

Watch: this ya'll
If you just type "windows" in the search bar at the bottom left of the screen it will bring up "Windows Update Settings" under the System Settings as the top choice and you can adjust windows update settings there. Windows 10 takes a little getting use to but once you get use to using the "search" bar rather than trying to find everything manually, you'll learn to like it.
Current Collection: Rolex 116710BLNR & 216570 polar Explorer II; Omega Apollo 8 Speedmaster; Tudor BB Bronze Bucherer Blue Edition; Heuer Heritage Autavia; Nomos Club Sport Neomatik 42; Breitling Aerospace, Avenger Blackbird, & Superocean 44; Seiko Black Monster; Mickey Mouse Timex Electric; and dare I say it...an Apple Watch too
Baco Noir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 March 2018, 09:37 AM   #48
Abdullah71601
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baco Noir View Post
If you just type "windows" in the search bar at the bottom left of the screen it will bring up "Windows Update Settings" under the System Settings as the top choice and you can adjust windows update settings there. Windows 10 takes a little getting use to but once you get use to using the "search" bar rather than trying to find everything manually, you'll learn to like it.
I found that the old fashioned way before. There doesn't seem to be an option to set the updates to manual.
Old 24 March 2018, 03:33 PM   #49
SearChart
TechXpert

Quote:
I found that the old fashioned way before. There doesn't seem to be an option to set the updates to manual.
I believe there is a CMD command for disabling Windows update.
SearChart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 March 2018, 06:50 PM   #50
NWNL
"TRF" Member

Watch: 228235 ROMAN WHITE
I have a MSI laptop, paid around 1700 euros for it. It's a thin metal gaming laptop with an I7 and GTX970M. Couldn't be more satisfied about a laptop! I had Sony, Dell and HP before and can't match my MSI :)

Never had any issues with MSI
NWNL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 March 2018, 10:40 PM   #51
Abdullah71601
Banned

Quote:
Thanks Bas, I'll look for it.

The monitor colors are set for gaming, so I have to fix that for photo editing. I found an Intel utility onboard that adjusts basic monitor settings, but need to make finer adjustments than brightness, contrast, and saturation.
Old 25 March 2018, 11:04 PM   #52
Abdullah71601
Banned

Quote:
Turns out Microsoft decided you aren't allowed to decide whether you want automatic updates for Windows 10. They removed the option from the updates menu, which forces the user to be updated whenever Microsoft wants.

The work around is to define your wifi network as a metered network. Windows won't auto-update on a metered connection. The downside is you have to define every wifi network you use as metered to block auto-updates.