The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Ω Omega Discussion Forum

Old 4 August 2009, 02:25 AM   #31
RW16610
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 116710LN
Fantastic responses from all of you above! Regarding the one about the Omega signs all over Europe, reminds me of Olympics or World Championchip events like Rome 2009 for Aquatics. The name is all around the pool and they have the Constelation clock closer to the back / where the showers would be. SOOO many people viewing these events or clips from them on YouTube, News, sports channels etc etc etc, they really are reaching out to present and future customers

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghanemC View Post
For me its the looks, design and the past.

Omega has done some great things with there watches. Went to the moon, starred in the James Bond Movies and much more...

How could u go wrong with an Omega?

Like i said to my girlfriend when i went to buy my first Omega "Its not just a watch, its a time piece. Its not something that you wear just to tell the time. Its something that represents time."

They are brilliant watches and i intend to build a collection in the near future.

Do yourself a favour. If You Don't Have One, Get One! Everyone here and myself can guarantee that you wont regret it!

Cheers,
Chris

Good reasons, indeed! That is a fantastic quote and so true! A brand that started out in the 1800's, went to the moon etc etc

You really do have to collect them! With Omega it is not impossible either due to their soft resale value. Most complqain but I chose to use that to my advantage and after buying one brand new (2220.80.00) will go after preowned deals locally to get as many for the money and not take depreciation hits.

Again what was said above, Omega represents balance. Not too expensive for what your getting but very high end. Not overly prestigous (Adumars Piguet, Patek Philippe etc etc etc that are all amazing but not pratical for daily use or at all for most people), look amazing and are reasonable to fix espectially by a private watch maker.

Long story short, I LOVE Omega and it is becoming my main brand, indeed. Rolex no longer interests me the same but would love to have a Patek Philippe or other high end watch some day in my life. Truth is though, Omega has it all! From daily use watches (that are not insanely priced like 7K - 10K for all steel models), to the same models in gold with diamonds and even $122,000.00 USD Tourbillion! The Omega brand really covers it all. Watches for the younger - older age groups (normal line - Constelation) and choices of metals, diamonds etc etc. They give options, unlike some brands that do but still limit you a lot.
RW16610 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 5 August 2009, 02:57 PM   #32
lobo58

Watch: Omega Planet Ocean
I will, one day, own a vintage Rolex Sub; but long before that I will own a Speedmaster circa late 60s. Currently, my daily watch is a Seamaster PO and I could not be happier. I sold a Rolex 16610 for the funds to buy it and never regretted it for a moment.
lobo58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 August 2009, 12:48 AM   #33
Mike B
"TRF" Member

Watch: DSSD, Omega SMP
I love my PO, I think it is a true work of art. It fits perfactly on my wrist (despite it's quite large 45.5mm size) but it is by FAR the most comfortable watch I've ever owned. It even feels just a bit more comfortable then the "Bond" style bracelet as well. The Rolex Sub, wile a great watch, and a true icon, still does not have that "heft", or "presence" that my Omegas do. Omega is one of my favorite watch brands, and will continue to be if they keep making watches like the Planet Ocean !
Mike B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 August 2009, 01:59 AM   #34
DS/B MINI S
"TRF" Member

Watch: SD & Exp II
Quote:
Originally Posted by perdu View Post
value for money.
+1
Old 6 August 2009, 02:38 AM   #35
RW16610
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike B View Post
I love my PO, I think it is a true work of art. It fits perfactly on my wrist (despite it's quite large 45.5mm size) but it is by FAR the most comfortable watch I've ever owned. It even feels just a bit more comfortable then the "Bond" style bracelet as well. The Rolex Sub, wile a great watch, and a true icon, still does not have that "heft", or "presence" that my Omegas do. Omega is one of my favorite watch brands, and will continue to be if they keep making watches like the Planet Ocean !

Exactly, I am one of those folks who likes my watches hefty. Some might think it does not reflect true quality, but it does to me. Having end links and center links that are truly solid (not even machined out a bit) is the way it should be in my books.
Old 6 August 2009, 07:44 AM   #36
joelc87
"TRF" Member

I just got my speedmaster date 3210.50 last week. Main reasons, good value for the money, chronometer accuracy, and always looks great. I can wear it with jeans, shorts, quick dips in the pool, and a tux. Never looks out of place and always has that subdued non-flashy Omega style. IMHO all omegas have a certain subtle class to them that most other watches will never have. Classic and modern at the same time while not being antiquated or too post-modern. The term minimalistic comes to mind.
joelc87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 August 2009, 08:18 AM   #37
mickyvee

Watch: SS Sub 16610
Before I got my DJ, and my sub, I had my Omega Seamaster for five years. Wore it every day. It kept great time(+3 secs a day)and was top value for money. But the lure of Rolex proved too strong.............!
mickyvee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 August 2009, 10:41 AM   #38
EPS3
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16600/Breit/Omega
i like the history behind the "Moon watch" and it is more reasonable when it comes to pricing compared to other Swiss Quality watches.
EPS3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 August 2009, 01:22 PM   #39
wristbliss
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex GMTIIc
For me, Omega represents the quintessential blend of value and function. The Omega was my first major watch purchase over 10 years ago. The SMP has been by daily wearer. I've taken it on trips, rebuilt houses, changed the oil in my car, watched the birth of my son, attended funerals, negotiated divorces, and even gotten remarried with an Omega on my wrist. I've dressed it up, beaten it down, covered it in mud and polished it up and it still shines. I now own a Rolex GMT IIc and a Panerai 111. I'm not embarassed or ashamed to say that every watch I've looked at or purchased I've compared to my Omega. It is the standard my other watches will need to live up to. Not to discount Rolex or Panerai. I just haven't owned them for 10 years yet or put them through their paces. Hopefully in 10 years I'll have these same things to say about my rollie and pannie. Good luck with your decision. You won't go wrong with an Omega.
wristbliss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 August 2009, 04:14 PM   #40
TurboWatch
"TRF" Member

Why ?

Look at these and you'll know why.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC04581.jpg (60.7 KB, 288 views)
File Type: jpg DSC04587.jpg (65.1 KB, 288 views)
TurboWatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 August 2009, 10:53 PM   #41
ghanemC
"TRF" Member

Watch: 213.30
Quote:
Originally Posted by TurboWatch View Post
Look at these and you'll know why.
Is that Omega a 3513.50?

C:\Documents and Settings\balgowlah.compwareho\My Documents\My Pictures\untitled.JPG
ghanemC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 August 2009, 03:07 PM   #42
TurboWatch
"TRF" Member

yes, it is

I picked it because of the Date feature, and didn't feel like manually winding it every morning.
TurboWatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 August 2009, 11:51 PM   #43
EPS3
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16600/Breit/Omega
omega

keeps excellent time....
Attached Images
File Type: jpg camping 114.jpg (45.8 KB, 349 views)
EPS3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 August 2009, 04:30 AM   #44
scotttampa
"TRF" Member

Watch: RLX, OM, GO
Why Omega?

Simple the PO is the best dive watch for the money. Great looks, superior internal works, and rugged construction. For the money superior to the Rolex Sub. Also, Omega offers a good variety of bands for the PO. Cheers, Scott
Attached Images
File Type: jpg watch2.jpg (56.7 KB, 341 views)
scotttampa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 August 2009, 03:16 PM   #45
Bruin Watch
"TRF" Member

Watch: RolexOmegaCartier
Love my 3513.50 as well... sits nicely on the wrist... not large like most other watches out there, but sometimes I don't think that's a bad thing (especially those of us with smaller-ish wrists). :)
Bruin Watch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 August 2009, 02:18 AM   #46
RW16610
2024 Pledge Member

Great reasons, guys!

Scott, I espectially like your response. It is so true with the variety of straps and pricing that seems more realistic for what truly is a divers watch
Old 25 August 2009, 11:28 PM   #47
taipan168
"TRF" Member

I have a Bond Seamaster (2531.80) and a Speedy Pro (3572.50) and I love both of them. Omega has the ideal combination of value for money and pedigree IMO.
taipan168 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 August 2009, 10:12 AM   #48
dkpw
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16610 & 214270
Quote:
Originally Posted by scotttampa View Post
Simple the PO is the best dive watch for the money. Great looks, superior internal works, and rugged construction. For the money superior to the Rolex Sub. Also, Omega offers a good variety of bands for the PO. Cheers, Scott
I'm going to tread carefully here - I have read the TRF rules. Let's just say we'll agree to disagree. IMHO the Sub is THE dive watch.

Anyway back on topic.

Having considered carefully and decided to follow, the sound advice of Fr. John (thank you) here and on other Omega forums, I'm bidding on a pre-owned Speedmaster Pro from one of his recommended sellers. The comparatively poor resale price of Omegas compared to Rolexes, is a weakness of the brand and for the seller but great for the rest of us wanting to pick up a bargin. As John has said, "why pay for a new Speedy when you can safely purchase one in BNIB condition?"

My reasons for a Speedy; I appreciate the quality of a watch with such historic significance, aesthetic appeal, ruggedness (away from water) and value for money. I'm also looking forward to living with the differences compared to my Sub; no date, manual wind, hesalite crystal and decent lume.

I'm afraid to say that most of the rest of the Omega range does little for me but to be truthful, there are large sections of Rolex's offerings which I would not touch, even if I could afford them.

Pictures are sure to follow - assuming "the Eagle lands."

David
dkpw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 August 2009, 11:03 AM   #49
RW16610
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkpw View Post
I'm going to tread carefully here - I have read the TRF rules. Let's just say we'll agree to disagree. IMHO the Sub is THE dive watch.

Anyway back on topic.

Having considered carefully and decided to follow, the sound advice of Fr. John (thank you) here and on other Omega forums, I'm bidding on a pre-owned Speedmaster Pro from one of his recommended sellers. The comparatively poor resale price of Omegas compared to Rolexes, is a weakness of the brand and for the seller but great for the rest of us wanting to pick up a bargin. As John has said, "why pay for a new Speedy when you can safely purchase one in BNIB condition?"

My reasons for a Speedy; I appreciate the quality of a watch with such historic significance, aesthetic appeal, ruggedness (away from water) and value for money. I'm also looking forward to living with the differences compared to my Sub; no date, manual wind, hesalite crystal and decent lume.

I'm afraid to say that most of the rest of the Omega range does little for me but to be truthful, there are large sections of Rolex's offerings which I would not touch, even if I could afford them.

Pictures are sure to follow - assuming "the Eagle lands."

Yeah, I totally know what you mean there, indeed To each their own, of course. After my 2220.80.00 all of my Omegas will be preowned or BNIB from grey dealers because of the fantastic deals out there. The Speedmaster is fantastic and as you say VERY rugged but away from water because of the un protected pushers (if pushed) and lack of screw down crown on the ones your speaking of. Can not wait to see pictures of your Speedmaster!
Old 2 September 2009, 05:41 AM   #50
godowning
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex
I agree with many of the comments. Omega watches are a great value. Have also had decent luck with their service unit in NJ. I also like the ability to use genuine Omega parts when I go back and forth between a leather/deployment set up and SS braclet. Plus, I use http://www.ofrei.com/page_146.html for my parts needs.
godowning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 September 2009, 07:29 AM   #51
macstiltskin

I went shopping for a Rolex and came home with this, which cost half the price.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg P8310013.jpg (63.4 KB, 271 views)
macstiltskin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 September 2009, 04:55 AM   #52
kerrison

Watch: Rolex DateJust
Quote:
Originally Posted by lavaman View Post
A question:

Why did you choose Omega?
I think for me it's because I am beginning to come to the conclusion that they are really the best watch my money can buy, esp. in the second hand market. It also has much history and many beautifully yet diversely designed, functional watches through the years. On top of that, for me there is something special about Omega, almost like a relationship really. Never thought I woull say that about a watch lol
kerrison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 September 2009, 05:42 AM   #53
RW16610
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by macstiltskin View Post
I went shopping for a Rolex and came home with this, which cost half the price.
It is funny how that works Exact same thing happened to me twice in a row, now have to wait and see if Omega can make it 3 for 3 or if Rolex will finally pull me in. Either way though, you get a lot of watch for what you pay when buying an Omega (not like they are cheap, but less expensive than some other mid range brands). That Planet Ocean looks great

Quote:
Originally Posted by kerrison View Post
I think for me it's because I am beginning to come to the conclusion that they are really the best watch my money can buy, esp. in the second hand market. It also has much history and many beautifully yet diversely designed, functional watches through the years. On top of that, for me there is something special about Omega, almost like a relationship really. Never thought I woull say that about a watch lol

For sure, once you get one they seem to drag you in (the best possible way) and the fact that like you say, they have so much vareity etc etc allows one to keep buying watches from Omega that have different features, looks and styles. Something for all ages and just amazing
Old 7 September 2009, 10:49 PM   #54
WJGESQ
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by EPS3 View Post
keeps excellent time....
The 3513.50 is simply striking. No winding and sapphire crystal. Seems like a greatly improved "moon watch".
WJGESQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 September 2009, 08:02 AM   #55
godowning
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex
A big Omega fan

Love the variety and the value
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 090109 012.jpg (89.1 KB, 224 views)
godowning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 September 2009, 10:18 PM   #56
icnbne
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex Omega Seiko
value
design
quality
history
variety

few of many reasons I love Omega
oh, and the word 'Omega' sounds really cool
icnbne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 September 2009, 09:36 AM   #57
dkpw
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16610 & 214270
Further to my post above, I missed out on a couple of Speedies on eBay which was unfortunate. However I was lucky enough to have a birthday and so with the procedes from a cheque from my generous parents, the price differential between a like new used and a new with discount was all but eliminated. So, as I don't intend to flip, new it was.

I was on holiday recently in England and Wales, and decided to do some shopping in Manchester. With some very helpful advice from members of a UK watch forum, I was prepared with names and addresses of some ADs in the city. Only two had Speedy 3570.50 both in the window for the RRP of £2,090.

After dithering over a coffee, deciding a) should I pull the trigger and b) who should I go to see first, I answered yes to question a) and went into David M Robinson who have a number of stores in the north west. I based that decision on their better selection of Rolexes and Omegas in the window.

I was greeted by Andrew Duffy the Manager, and given a seat and offered a drink. We had a very pleasant chat about fishing, holidays, Edinburgh, Ireland and oh yes, watches. Decision time was reached and a discount of over 10% was offered and accepted. I had a very pleasant shopping experience and a lovely new watch and would recommend looking Andrew up if you're ever in Manchester.

Here's a couple of very quick shots taken in the Buxton sunshine - I'm loving that hesalite! Spot the date on the warranty - not really an emergency purchase but proof that Andrew has a sense of humour.

So far, after only a couple of days, my Speedy is +4 seconds per day. That's fine by me!

David
dkpw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 September 2009, 10:19 AM   #58
cody p
"TRF" Member

Watch: Air-King 114200
Quote:
Originally Posted by lobo58 View Post
Agreed. I enjoy some mondo-unusual watches (wouldn't mind a Heuer Monaco, for example) but I definitely prefer the Omega OP to the Rolex Sub. It's my everyday watch now. Looks good in jeans, and fits with a suit. Omega does make a few really odd watches. This, for example:

Too much like a wacky Graham for my taste, put the PO suits me to a T. Traditional, solid, dependable and durable. I still love me some Rolex, but I'm an Omega man (cue Charlton Heston) these days.

i really like it! (something must be wrong with me)
cody p is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 September 2009, 05:09 AM   #59
novae500
"TRF" Member

My mom has an omega thats 39yrs old and i took ownership of it after she passed away 3 yrs ago. Its stored in my safe. Only time she took it in for service was every 6 yrs for oil/cleaning.

Because of this, pricing, reliability, looks, i ended up getting an Omega 7yrs ago. Blue Seamaster Prof Chronometer and love it. Get compliments all the time on it. I'm looking for another watch and will probably get another Omega. Do want a GMT II Coke/Pepsi, but dropping $4k is a bit much for me.
novae500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 September 2009, 09:37 AM   #60
Perdu
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT
Quote:
Originally Posted by godowning View Post
Love the variety and the value
I'm just now figuring that out. One thing I really like about Rolex is the consistency of design through the years and originally I thought Omega were all over the place, now I see they offer more varieties to choose from. I do think they should be more consistent within similar watches though, like some 300Ms have waves to the edge of the dial and some don't. Some have a border around the date and some don't. You get the idea.

Benson 1937 Sterling Silver Hunter
Perdu is offline   Reply With Quote