The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Old 27 September 2013, 01:18 PM   #1
WHSclub
"TRF" Member

Tiffany & Co 5164

Does anyone know anything about the Tiffany & Co 5164? Love the Travel Time and find the T&C edition very interesting.
WHSclub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 September 2013, 01:22 PM   #2
jnelson3097
"TRF" Member

John Mayer has been wearing one on tour this year. You can see it on Hodinkee during an interview with him.
jnelson3097 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 September 2013, 01:46 PM   #3
perpetualman88
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 116610, 5712/1A
you can purchase any patek philippe at tiffanys NYC and I think beverly hills as well.
YOu have the option of having the dial stamped with tiffany and co.
some people consider them rare because tiffany does not discount a dollar so if you purchased from them you paid full price period and not everyone is willing to do that
perpetualman88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 September 2013, 01:51 PM   #4
WHSclub
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by perpetualman88 View Post
you can purchase any patek philippe at tiffanys NYC and I think beverly hills as well.
some people consider them rare because tiffany does not discount a dollar so if you purchased from them you paid full price period and not everyone is willing to do that
I had no idea T&C would stamp any Patek purchased from them
WHSclub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 September 2013, 01:54 PM   #5
perpetualman88
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by daclarkjr View Post
I had no idea T&C would stamp any Patek purchased from them
yesirrrr they will
Old 27 September 2013, 02:28 PM   #6
codecow
"TRF" Member

Watch: PP 5131R
San Francisco store has a bunch too.
codecow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 September 2013, 07:05 PM   #7
Puffy
"TRF" Member

i find it a travesty when I see the Tiffany & Co name on dials

why?
Old 27 September 2013, 07:26 PM   #8
Preacher
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex of course
Tiffany & Co dials are cool.
Old 27 September 2013, 08:43 PM   #9
FeelingTheBlues
"TRF" Member

Watch: If you wish...
I like Tiffany dials, whether they are rare or not I find that small detail interesting on a dial and I like the idea of co-branding and the partnership between two brands.
On va hisser le drapeau blanc un point c'est tout.

- André Fortin
FeelingTheBlues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 September 2013, 10:13 PM   #10
Tony64
"TRF" Member

I don't get it either

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puffy View Post
i find it a travesty when I see the Tiffany & Co name on dials

why?
I agree 100% on this point. Tiffany & Co is an exclusive jeweler but to my knowledge had nothing whatsoever to do with the production of this watch. The addition of the extra print adds nothing of value to the timepiece IMHO and i feel it actually detracts from is purity. It might as well have "Tony's Watch" printed on the dial for that matter. Cheapens the brand- Patek doesn't need a co-signature for validation. Just my opinion, no disrespect intended or implied to those who feel differently.
Tony64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 September 2013, 10:22 PM   #11
Lgear080
Banned

Agreed... Fully. They should stick to hocking trinkets and obscenely priced diamonds.
Lgear080 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 September 2013, 10:31 PM   #12
justbrowsing

I dislike logos and company names in general, so less text is better for me. Depending on the model, I would prefer no "Patek Philippe" text on the dial. The patek text on the 5164 is ok because it balances the dial at 6 o'clock. But the 5711 would look better with no text on the dial IMO.
justbrowsing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 September 2013, 11:09 PM   #13
Stuxnet
Banned

I would pay more for a watch without the Tiffany & Co on the dial.
Stuxnet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 September 2013, 11:18 PM   #14
Tony64
"TRF" Member

+1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stuxnet View Post
I would pay more for a watch without the Tiffany & Co on the dial.
I wouldn't buy one with Tiffany & Co on the dial, even at a reduced price.
Old 27 September 2013, 11:31 PM   #15
Oryx
"TRF" Member

The Tiffany & Co stamp adds a nice touch to the dial in my opinion.

This relationship is circa 170 years old and was created only a few years after Patek's inception - it is not something that has just been set up recently.

http://www.hodinkee.com/blog/intervi...ersary-watches

I would quite happily have one or two co-branded Patek's in my collection.
Oryx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 September 2013, 04:14 AM   #16
perpetualman88
2024 Pledge Member

I would love to have a tiffanty limited edition Patek with Tiffany and Co on the dial but I would not like a regular model to have it on the dial.
Old 28 September 2013, 06:07 AM   #17
Sir Larry Wildman
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex, FPJ, IWC
Quote:
I would love to have a tiffanty limited edition Patek with Tiffany and Co on the dial but I would not like a regular model to have it on the dial.
I could not agree more with this. If it was the 5396G Limited Edition, I would snatch it up in an instant. But, on something like a 5164, I am not sure that I am that amped up about it.

I do appreciate the history behind the Tiffany and Patek partnership, but to me it feels like it cheapens the watch a bit. I'm not sure why I feel that way, but I do. Like, Patek should stand on it's own. Plus, and maybe I will catch some heat for this, I think of Tiffany's as primarily a women's store. And I think of Patek's as possibly the most masculine watch there is. So something doesn't jive.
Sir Larry Wildman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 September 2013, 06:41 AM   #18
Stuxnet
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir Larry Wildman View Post
I do appreciate the history behind the Tiffany and Patek partnership, but to me it feels like it cheapens the watch a bit. I'm not sure why I feel that way, but I do. Like, Patek should stand on it's own. Plus, and maybe I will catch some heat for this, I think of Tiffany's as primarily a women's store. And I think of Patek's as possibly the most masculine watch there is. So something doesn't jive.
Just some observations as I walk past Tiffany's on 57th and 5th everyday.

They mostly sell trinkets for tourists. You know, slightly middle aged ladies from out of town. Some of whom get off the Sex and the City tour bus and seem to be living in some alternate reality. Yes, some of them dress in character. Most ladies between 20-40 want their picture taken in front of the logo. Then you have Audrey Hepburn types who like to have their picture taken in front of the window. Loads of Japanese school girls too. Some of whom didn't bother to change out of their school uniforms before getting on the plane at Narita. But now there are fewer girls from Tokyo and more gents from mainland China, usually carrying those little man bags. Which is why T&Co, Tourneau and Wempe all have Mandarin speaking sales people.

After the women drag their men to Tiffany's, I think the men drag their ladies to the NBA Store on 5th. And then I think they all happily line up to go to Abercrombie & Fitch. But that's usually a less global crowd than T&Co and seems to be more Euro.

And then everybody gets back together at H&M a few blocks down. And when everybody is done buying trinkets and clothes they go to the Apple store on 58th and 5th to check their email, and also pick up 6 iPhones.

Anyway, I digress, Tiffany's is a decent spot to use the restroom too if you are from out of town.

The Patek Boutique is an oasis in the store, but I feel like I'm being poked in the eyeballs with a sharp stick anytime I see their logo defile a beautiful watch.
Stuxnet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 September 2013, 07:07 AM   #19
QueueCumber
"TRF" Member

Watch: ST:TNG
Hmm, wish it was on a nautilus. I don't like the aquanauts...
QueueCumber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 September 2013, 07:08 AM   #20
perpetualman88
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stuxnet View Post
Just some observations as I walk past Tiffany's on 57th and 5th everyday.

They mostly sell trinkets for tourists. You know, slightly middle aged ladies from out of town. Some of whom get off the Sex and the City tour bus and seem to be living in some alternate reality. Yes, some of them dress in character. Most ladies between 20-40 want their picture taken in front of the logo. Then you have Audrey Hepburn types who like to have their picture taken in front of the window. Loads of Japanese school girls too. Some of whom didn't bother to change out of their school uniforms before getting on the plane at Narita. But now there are fewer girls from Tokyo and more gents from mainland China, usually carrying those little man bags. Which is why T&Co, Tourneau and Wempe all have Mandarin speaking sales people.

After the women drag their men to Tiffany's, I think the men drag their ladies to the NBA Store on 5th. And then I think they all happily line up to go to Abercrombie & Fitch. But that's usually a less global crowd than T&Co and seems to be more Euro.

And then everybody gets back together at H&M a few blocks down. And when everybody is done buying trinkets and clothes they go to the Apple store on 58th and 5th to check their email, and also pick up 6 iPhones.

Anyway, I digress, Tiffany's is a decent spot to use the restroom too if you are from out of town.

The Patek Boutique is an oasis in the store, but I feel like I'm being poked in the eyeballs with a sharp stick anytime I see their logo defile a beautiful watch.
I can completely understand your image of Tiffany and CO

However before Tiffany became a publicly traded company and decided to be the IT brand for younger girls seeking their charm necklaces and bracelets Tiffanys was the epitome of luxury and sophistication. I am not just talking about jewelry here. I am talking Tiffany lamps, Bowls, Crystal ECT.

Tiffanys was a no compromise company just like Patek Philippe. It only made the best of the best and they were content with that. I feel the match up between Patek Philippe and Tiffany really honors their history and expempfies two companies that would not compromise their quality for anyone or anything.

If I were to buy a Tiffany and CO special edition watch I would truly appreciate two companies on two continents that had alot of the same philosophies and goals who were able to come together and bring fantastic watches to the American public. Although Tiffanies may not be the same company as it once was it is nice to think of what it used to be
Old 28 September 2013, 07:45 AM   #21
jon_jon
"TRF" Member

Patek Philippe makes ~10K ladies watches a year. I know this forum is composed mainly of men, but if women had their choice of whether having a Tiffany branding on their watch dial or not, I wonder what the result would be. I actually had this conversation a while ago with a female Tiffany SA and she said most women prefer the Tiffany branding on the dial and most men prefer not to have the Tiffany branding.
jon_jon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 September 2013, 10:20 AM   #22
codecow
"TRF" Member

Watch: PP 5131R
One of the most beautiful pieces I have seen is a 5119J at T&Co in San Francisco. The logo didn't bother me at all.
codecow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 September 2013, 07:26 PM   #23
jon_jon
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jnelson3097 View Post
John Mayer has been wearing one on tour this year. You can see it on Hodinkee during an interview with him.
I think the Hodinkee article also mentioned that he has performed on stage with this watch on. John Mayer is probably one of the most visible celebrity sporting his PP watch collection. I think it's cool that he has written online articles about his watch collection.
jon_jon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 September 2013, 07:48 PM   #24
tavv160
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP, Rolex, JLC...
Quote:
Originally Posted by QueueCumber View Post
Hmm, wish it was on a nautilus. I don't like the aquanauts...
There are Nautilus out there with the Tiffany & Co stamp. I quite like it, it is so small it is barely visible, but does make the watch even more unique IMO.

Pic from: http://www.chrono24.com/en/patekphil...-id2117870.htm
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (44.5 KB, 1476 views)
Old 29 September 2013, 09:31 PM   #25
Darlinboy
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: :hctaW
I wouldn't turn away a Patek with the Tiffany name on the dial, nor would I pay a premium. Two great names that have been together for decades - nothing wrong with that IMO.

Now if it said "Sam's Club", I'd have to pass.
Old 29 September 2013, 09:54 PM   #26
Preacher
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex of course
I think Boodles have done an anniversary colab of some sort with Patek too.
Old 29 September 2013, 09:56 PM   #27
laphroaig007
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116710 & PAM372
T&C did the same in the 70's and 80's with Rolex watches......
Old 30 September 2013, 01:43 AM   #28
Mosco
"TRF" Member

Watch: I like to...
On average, T&Co dials on popular Patek models (in my personal experience a 5712) sell at a 15-17% premium to the non-T&co dials. Men lie, women lie, numbers don't.

“A man who procrastinates in his choosing will inevitably have his choice made for him by circumstance.” - Hunter S. Thompson
Mosco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 September 2013, 02:42 AM   #29
QueueCumber
"TRF" Member

Watch: ST:TNG
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mosco View Post
On average, T&Co dials on popular Patek models (in my personal experience a 5712) sell at a 15-17% premium to the non-T&co dials. Men lie, women lie, numbers don't.
Awesome!

Guess the rarity factor and pricing carries through with dial stamping. When I was last at Tiffanys on 5th I inquired about this, and the sales gentlemen said that was the case as well, though I thought it might just be a sales pitch at the time...
QueueCumber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 September 2013, 03:11 AM   #30
Tony64
"TRF" Member

15%=15% ??

Quote:
"On average, T&Co dials on popular Patek models (in my personal experience a 5712) sell at a 15-17% premium to the non-T&co dials. Men lie, women lie, numbers don't."

If you paid full price at Tiffany's then you may already have accounted for your 15% premium. (Assuming that your experience accurately reflects the true market value at large)

On a side note, it continually amazes me how label conscience we are that we would willingly pay such a premium for ink. Do we buy these watches for the Patek name on the dial or the Patek quality of the product? I am reminded of this phenomenon every time I pass a clothing rack with supersized logos embossed on the shirt front. It screams "I'm buying this for the logo and will pay a premium just so you can see it across the room!"