The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Old 13 March 2017, 08:41 PM   #31
KarlS
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by lapince View Post
Of course once you noticed you should ask Patek to change the hand. About expectations no you are not an imbecile, maybe its us the imbeciles as we just make eye check, but as I said if you have a machine do 100% then it won't be perfct but shouldn't have flaws as the mashine will usually do everything the same, with part being hand work you can have flaws, and Patek will have very strict tolerances for their higher end pieces, but the lower end pieces will not have perfection, that is a fact, is that a shame, yes probably, they consider that if with a loupe it looks fine then it's good enough, I think most of us know that and are fine with it, if they did a perfect hand finished product then the prices would be way higher I think
hodinkee article
to see – a finishing department. Rolex does finish their watches, and expertly at that, just without the traditional aesthetic flourishes that we as consumers tend to look for when we are examining haute horlogerie, which of course, Rolex is not. Cases are held against a polish wheel by humans, just as they are at Jaeger-LeCoultre or Audemars Piguet. At any given time, there are between 50 and 60 people polishing the cases of Rolex watches. The human element in Rolex watchmaking is more than substantial and very real. It is also wonderful to see as a lover of old-school Rolex watches with those big, beautiful beveled case edges. I realized quickly that Rolex of today is not at all very far off from that, and at any point they could, if they wanted to, bring back beveled case edges with little fuss
KarlS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 March 2017, 08:43 PM   #32
Russell996
2024 Pledge Member

Quick calculation based on the image posted by the OP, it is approx. a 6600% enlargement!
Russell996 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 March 2017, 08:50 PM   #33
KarlS
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russell996 View Post
Quick calculation based on the image posted by the OP, it is approx. a 6600% enlargement!
he did mention microscope....but I dont think electron
Old 13 March 2017, 09:08 PM   #34
scarabei
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116610
Imperfections in 5711

That would drive me nuts! Send it back under warranty. For the money you spent it should be perfect like a Faberge egg.

The only watches I owned that were PERFECT were Rolex. It was hard for me to accept this, since I always thought of Rolex as hackneyed cliche watches. But after owning and handling a number of Vacherons, APs, Piagets and Pateks, I realize there is no better value for the money than a trusty Rolo :-)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
scarabei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 March 2017, 09:40 PM   #35
lapince
"TRF" Member

Watch: 5712
Quote:
Originally Posted by scarabei View Post
That would drive me nuts! Send it back under warranty. For the money you spent it should be perfect like a Faberge egg.

The only watches I owned that were PERFECT were Rolex. It was hard for me to accept this, since I always thought of Rolex as hackneyed cliche watches. But after owning and handling a number of Vacherons, APs, Piagets and Pateks, I realize there is no better value for the money than a trusty Rolo :-)

Maybe but I'll still take an AP or PP any day of the week over a Rolex, the comfort factor is very important for me, and the high end watches are way more comfy than Rolex
lapince is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 March 2017, 09:41 PM   #36
lapince
"TRF" Member

Watch: 5712
Quote:
Originally Posted by Russell996 View Post
lapince is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 March 2017, 09:42 PM   #37
scarabei
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116610
Quote:
Maybe but I'll still take an AP or PP any day of the week over a Rolex, the comfort factor is very important for me, and the high end watches are way more comfy than Rolex

Comfort??? Haha... my G-shock wins that battle

scarabei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 March 2017, 09:51 PM   #38
maxbaris
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex Explorer I
The most expensive watch I've ever owned was Rolex (3 of them) and I've never had any quality issues (although never looked at the dial with a loupe or microscope).

My grail is the PP 5167 and it does make me question the brand if these type of issues are commonplace for Patek. I would be concerned if I were them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
maxbaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 March 2017, 10:26 PM   #39
waspy1
Banned

I'll concede that the mark on the base of the hand is not acceptable but this is crazy to inspect a dial to that magnification and expect no 'imperfections'.

waspy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 March 2017, 10:31 PM   #40
HorologyK
"TRF" Member

Quote:

If comfort is your riding factor, I'd pick up a new ceramic Daytona. My Daytona is more comfortable than some former Patek's I've owned.
HorologyK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 March 2017, 11:38 PM   #41
LitzDoc
"TRF" Member

If I can't see it with a 4X Loupe it does not exist. If it bothers you , when you send it in for service have them change the hand. Enjoy the watch. Let it go. It's tough I know. I have been there.

LitzDoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 March 2017, 01:36 AM   #42
GB-man
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: addiction issues
Quote:
Originally Posted by HorologyK View Post
If comfort is your riding factor, I'd pick up a new ceramic Daytona. My Daytona is more comfortable than some former Patek's I've owned.
Agree and arnuad is picking one up soon.

No question 5711/5712/5167 are more comfortable than the 116500 but as we all know the ceramic bezel allows a certain level of comfort that you can't deny.

I know arnuad felt like his former Rolex were somewhat bulky, the Daytona case takes care of that.
GB-man is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 14 March 2017, 03:16 AM   #43
unknown
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 11imartinez View Post
Dear anonymous,

Thank you for your feedback. I have been reflecting and I believe you are 100% correct. I'm an imbecile. Let me tell you why:

- I bought an expensive steel watch thinking that since the price is material and mechanical complication was not high, the manufacture will be. Obviously it's not

- I bought a watch with an status brand thinking that the history of quality and excellence continues even in the most simple collections. Again I'm wrong.

- I bought a watch that the brand makes scarce and I let them play with me thinking that the effort, wait and cost it's worth because the product is of such excellent quality. Here I'm really a super imbecile...

- I bought a watch of a brand that makes the most complex and expensive movements and I'm thinking that this makes my simple product better. Hahahahahahahha

I have other watches from Lange, Rolex, VC and in any other I have had the feeling that the gap between perception and reality is so far away as in Patek, and specially on the Nautilus.

So, while I agree that I'm an imbecile for allowing them to play with me, the only question is, Will I do it again?

Sir,
Don't take it personal. If I offended you, accept my apologies. Never intended to take it personal

But since this was you first post here I thought you could be here just to complain, you wouldn't be the first

That aside, These imperfections are really very acceptable. Quite a few members agreed with you ... But also to them ... if a scratch , probably smaller than 0.5 mm is unacceptable to you I think you should think about finding another passion.

I don't drive a fancy car but if I could afford a Rolls Royce, you think I would make pics from every square centimeter , enlarge it to 50 square cm .... search for very tiny faults, and if I found one start complaining ?

I'm sure I can find 500 of these faults on a new Rolls. Maybe a little scratch on a rim, an imperfection on the leather seats, a not 100% straight stitching, an air vent that isn't 100% exactly aligned in the dashboard , etc
Old 14 March 2017, 03:21 AM   #44
texex91
"TRF" Member

Reason #52 why I don't own a loupe.
texex91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 March 2017, 03:51 AM   #45
KarlS
Banned

Why aren't he hands black!
Old 14 March 2017, 04:07 AM   #46
Chadridv
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 116610LV
Quote:
Probably because Patek has more hand finishing than Rolex which is basically all mashine made, so the end result from PP is better if it was correctly done, but leaves more place for human mistakes. Would still like to see pics of the watch with lesser magnification if you could
I've said it before but it's just a hilarious funny notion... My first AP had some issues, and when I brought them up, I was more or less told...

"Audemars Piguet, Patek Philippe are hand made pieces of art, if you want laser precision and accuracy buy a Rolex."

When my Rolex has had issues...

"Rolex are mass produced and made by machines, there will of course be errors. If you want perfection, buy a Patek Philippe or Audemars Piguet!"

haha
Chadridv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 March 2017, 04:49 AM   #47
WAK4
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Always changing
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chadridv View Post
I've said it before but it's just a hilarious funny notion... My first AP had some issues, and when I brought them up, I was more or less told...

"Audemars Piguet, Patek Philippe are hand made pieces of art, if you want laser precision and accuracy buy a Rolex."

When my Rolex has had issues...

"Rolex are mass produced and made by machines, there will of course be errors. If you want perfection, buy a Patek Philippe or Audemars Piguet!"

haha
Round and round you go!
WAK4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 March 2017, 05:37 AM   #48
mwilson
"TRF" Member

Well look at the bright side - the inevitable scratch on the bezel will draw your attention away from the dial and hand.
mwilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 March 2017, 06:08 AM   #49
RussW
"TRF" Member

Watch: 5990
Quote:
Originally Posted by KarlS View Post
A good question.

Also, the hands are white gold so won't be corroded.

Sorry OP I'm not buying any of this. You've also been asked for a normal sized photo. Let's see that plus a movement photo.
RussW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 March 2017, 06:31 AM   #50
mwilson
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Bad replica?
mwilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 March 2017, 07:03 AM   #51
Defiancekofb
"TRF" Member

Quote:
he did mention microscope....but I dont think electron
Defiancekofb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 March 2017, 07:11 AM   #52
El Cascarrabias
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16613LB
OP, can you see the blemish on the hand without a loupe?

Despite the fact posters are giving you grief for using magnification, it looks large enough to be seen with just your eyes.

If so, that's . . . not right!

You really need to be, not seem to be.

El Cascarrabias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 March 2017, 07:19 AM   #53
RussW
"TRF" Member

Watch: 5990
Quote:
Originally Posted by El Cascarrabias View Post
OP, can you see the blemish on the hand without a loupe?

Despite the fact posters are giving you grief for using magnification, it looks large enough to be seen with just your eyes.

If so, that's . . . not right!
Unless it's a fake. There's enough doubts about the authenticity of this watch. Better photos are needed.
RussW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 March 2017, 09:56 AM   #54
AK797
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing ships roll in
Quote:
Yes, well spotted, even with a flash they should look darker surely. Need to see more pics of the watch front and back to know if this is real.
AK797 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 March 2017, 10:08 AM   #55
ap1
2024 Pledge Member

I'd say case closed
ap1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 March 2017, 01:17 PM   #56
kneedeep
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mwilson View Post
Well look at the bright side - the inevitable scratch on the bezel will draw your attention away from the dial and hand.
kneedeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 March 2017, 01:55 PM   #57
KarlS
Banned

It could be corrosion caused by old batteries
Old 15 March 2017, 07:06 AM   #58
Defiancekofb
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ap1 View Post
I'd say case closed
I didn't want to say troll, but this guy just created his TRF account to complain about a 5711 that he doesn't post a big picture of, and a lot of things are suspect.
Defiancekofb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 March 2017, 07:07 AM   #59
Chaos
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 11imartinez View Post
Here the photo. Sorry..Attachment 837678

I didn't want to make it worse but at the end my initial impression might be real.

Have you guys noticed how the V and E in GENEVA are on pic above? Never saw that way so far.

Then if it's a fake watch, what's the purpose of the OP???

Best
Chaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 March 2017, 07:25 AM   #60
Patton250
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 5205R
Quote:
Could be a J

Pride goes before destruction, and haughtiness before a fall.

Often times unbelief is disguised as wisdom

Instagram - patton250
Patton250 is offline   Reply With Quote