The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Panerai Discussion Forum

Old 24 January 2019, 01:39 AM   #151
rambo99
Banned

Watch: SD43,PAM1616,Hulk
Quote:
Originally Posted by synequano View Post
Probably next year we'll see sapphire cased submersible...

what would be the training session then?
rambo99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 January 2019, 05:00 AM   #152
synequano
Banned

How to survive week long navy training without getting your watch cracked or chipped
synequano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 January 2019, 06:31 AM   #153
REXMTL
"TRF" Member

Watch: Sub Date - PAM673
Quote:
Originally Posted by carlhaluss View Post
Always great to read your posts!! Well, good news is that I am starting to think more rationally this week. I took a long look at the 4 models I now have, and the time and effort I spent learning about all the history of especially two of them, the PAM 673 Marina Militare and PAM 721 "Kampfschwimmer". Like you say, stick with the old skool stuff!

Sometimes, I perhaps take things almost personally. "How dare the company change things, and start over charging for these models without my permission!"

Admittedly, I formed my collection in a very short amount of time. It seemed that, soon as the local Boutique opened, they had quite a few models that I never even thought I would see. Let alone buy. I am not one for buying online, a model I have never seen nor from a seller who is unknown to me. So, my sole source for Panerai is really the Boutique. There are no ADs here in Vancouver.

Anyway, there is another angle as well. Now, I have never purchases any of my watches based on resale value. Except in the case of my gold watches. You have to be damn sure that you are not going to resell most gold watches, as they seem to depreciate a lot more than stainless steel. Well, with all the emphasis on Submersible models, if I do decide to sell any of mine down the road, it could be of benefit. I was amazed to see the other day that the 721 is now being sold for quite a bit higher than MSRP. Some of the other models not doing that well, but perhaps this whole direction Panerai is taking will benefit the resale market somewhat. Time will tell.

I did flip my 720, though, as I ended up much preferring the 721 with the Anonymous dial, and the 720 got no wrist time. Now, I have a different watch that will be worn a lot more.

So, I am going to relax now and see how I feel about all this in the next weeks. I do tend to feel, when I purchase a watch, I am also buying the brand, as I do lots of research on both. I never just see a watch in the display and buy it because it looks nice, I have to have more of an attachment than that.

Cheers,
Carl

This is sooo weird! I have the 673 and was thinking of adding a PAM 721 just recently - It's gorgeous! I only hesitate because the two seem so similar... At least the dial does in a way. Very different watches of course but very similar in their simplicity I suppose. I confess I didn't try it on and I was wondering what your thoughts were on having the two. Maybe not the proper thread to discuss
PAM 673
REXMTL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 January 2019, 06:05 PM   #154
erik asher
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by carlhaluss View Post
Well, all such things as these price increases affect each one of us differently. A watch is not only a luxury item to me, but a very emotional acquisition as well. As such, the way I perceive the latest changes, introductions and prices has severely tainted my feelings about the brand.

Today, for the third time in a week, I strapped on my beautiful PAM 721, kept it on my wrist for a few minutes, took some photos, did a post on WRUW, then took it off my wrist and wore my Zenith El Primero bronze.

I can't quite decide how I would classify my feelings, but I do know they come from the heart. Perhaps, it is a bit of a defeatist attitude, and I should get over it and enjoy the models I have. The 721 is the Panerai that has most grabbed me, from the start when it was introduced in 2017. At the time, I could not afford it, and thought that I would be lucky to even see one. I was mesmerized. Then the Panerai Boutique opened in Vancouver, miraculously one appeared in the display case, and I bought it. Now I am not sure what I am going to do, with it or the other three models I own.

Don't get me wrong. I am only conveying my sincere thoughts, and an example of how changes like this can affect us. Everyone should have such a dilemma! If worse comes to worst, I end up selling them all, I can always get a brand/model I like better.

Cheers,
Carl
Man, I am ROFL after reading this post! You strapped on your PAM 721 for a wrist shot and then took it off?!?!?! Yeah, you are really buying PAMs for the right reasons. No offense, but you epitomize the neophyte Panerai wearer who goes out and buys the hottest watch and then does research on it—and then acts like they are a big lover of the brand! You bought the watch because it’s hot and not because you were passionate about the brand....and then the brand does something that you don’t like, and without even being in the brand for one year, you are ready to jump ship and sell sell sell...maybe you should have thought more about the brand before you bought four PAMs in a very short period of time?!?!

It’s just really fun to me to read your post...why did you strap on your 721 just to take a picture?! Are you letting social media dictate your purchases?! If everyone else unanimously loved the new releases, would you too?! Or do you just hate on Panerai now because you perceive it as the thing to do through social media?!

Man Carl, I thought you had more substance than this. You should definitely sell your PAMs. With this type of weak “Panerai” constitution, you will never make it as a lover of the brand for years to come! You quote says it all—those with a sense of entitlement never feel satisfied.

Maybe your sense of entitlement on what the brand owes you is way too overinflated.
erik asher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 February 2019, 06:39 AM   #155
RolexParaMi
"TRF" Member

I was invited by Panerai to attend a VIP event in SIHH (and treated more like VIPoo) and given exclusive access to the new watches and invited to select any I wanted to purchase. I chose 2 and offered to pay a deposit there and then but assured it was not necessary. I subsequently called into the Boutique and reaffirmed my choices including the new ceramic bronze. All good so far apart from the disgraceful VIPoo treatment. I have now been informed that if I am to be offered a new bronzo that I will have to spend £50,000 on watches with the boutique to have any chance of a bronzo not even a guarantee. No regard to previous purchases or ownership of Panerai watches given. Shoddy to say the least and my custom is lost forever. I would still buy used or from ADs at a discount but never from the boutiques. I do feel that the new prices of Panerai in general are over the top anyway.
RolexParaMi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 February 2019, 09:24 PM   #156
xsnv
"TRF" Member

I had a similar experience at a boutique when I enquired about the Bronzo, definitely soured me on the brand.
xsnv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 February 2019, 12:33 PM   #157
Tha Baron
"TRF" Member

Panerai had a good run up until they went ape shit with the boutiques... then the cheaper spring bar and snap case backs was too much. Just releasing shit after shit... Sold all of mine luckily before the big tank. Now they are over priced and over exposed and Kirk herbstriet wears a big ugly gold one on College GameDay.

All this being said, I still want a 177 though...
Tha Baron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 February 2019, 02:40 PM   #158
holdtime
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Panerol Forte View Post
I am talking about the whole manufacturing process of forged carbon. Usually, what defines the value of a material is eather its rarity, or the difficulty to manufacter it. Forged carbon is presented as a very high tech material very difficult to manufacture, hence the high price. If you research it, you will see that the whole manufacturing process is quite simple in fact. The scam I am talking about is: "misleading with false pretence the costumer into thinking he is buying something precious", when in fact it is not the case. Again, I highlighted in my post that if you don't believe me, do your own research. It took me time and effort to prepare this thread and make it as clear as possible, and a lot of people barely read it, took it personal, and jumped on their guns. And the most interesting part that took me a lot of time to prepare, the infamous caliber OP.XXXIV, nobody mentions it. And yes, I like Carbotech, and I was anxiously waiting for one in 42 to come out and buy it (see my previous thread about SIHH leaks). But to pay 17.000 Euros for a watch made of a nice looking but inexpensive material, and on top of that with a shared caliber with a 2.600 Euros entry level watch that has a higher power reserve and a longer warranty is not acceptable for me.
Do not like it .Do NOT have to buy!
holdtime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 June 2021, 01:10 PM   #159
swink6112
"TRF" Member

Watch: Casio Robot Watch
What was the cost of paint n canvas in Picasso's or Van Gogh painting again? The billionaires collecting them must be idiots then.

p.s. Sorry for necroing the thread sir/madam.
swink6112 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 June 2021, 06:11 PM   #160
waterman1
2024 Pledge Member

I have the 979 and absolutely love it. I don’t know about the temperature of the oven when my carbotech got manufactured and I have no interest in it. All I know is this is the watch for me. Super light, perfectly legible, and built like a tank. I know any other watch would have multiple dings/scratches by now, but my 979 looks brand new after 14 months of daily wear and abuse.
waterman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 June 2021, 06:47 PM   #161
Andad
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: A few.
Check the thread date guys?

Andad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 June 2021, 10:26 PM   #162
ks58
Banned

I like how the carbotech is scratch resistant. A great aspect of the watch.
ks58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 June 2021, 06:02 AM   #163
rajurama
"TRF" Member

Watch: amacallit
I know old thread , but still relevant even more :) check out RM carbon (best call it plastic like how some ignorants call it) and precious metals. If carbon fiber was so easy to make wouldn't all mid level sportcars be made of it... Or even Seiko making it... Well surely the Op who is banned for a good reason always wanted the carbon fiber watch but just can't justify or come up with its premium.
Old 17 June 2021, 06:23 AM   #164
enjoythemusic
2024 Pledge Member

I am VERY impressed with the durability of Carbotech. I did a bit of a 'boo boo' this past weekend and the bezel shows... nothing. Most impressive!
“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming 'Wow! What a Ride!'” -- Hunter S. Thompson

Sent from my Etch A Sketch using String Theory.
enjoythemusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 June 2021, 08:16 PM   #165
rajurama
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by enjoythemusic View Post
I am VERY impressed with the durability of Carbotech. I did a bit of a 'boo boo' this past weekend and the bezel shows... nothing. Most impressive!
Glad to hear that... Reassuring
Old 18 June 2021, 02:47 AM   #166
Mystro
2024 Pledge Member

No secret my love for Carbotech and it’s documented toughness while actually being used as a dive watch. Now a few important take aways in that last sentence as I am not asking “is it safe” questions with my Panerai Carbotech because it’s out their in the real world doing it’s stuff and showing it’s toughness. There is the “romantic ideas of a classic dive watch sitting by the pool side” and then there are the real life dive watches you actually take diving.

Mystro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 June 2021, 06:44 AM   #167
rajurama
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mystro View Post
No secret my love for Carbotech and it’s documented toughness while actually being used as a dive watch. Now a few important take aways in that last sentence as I am not asking “is it safe” questions with my Panerai Carbotech because it’s out their in the real world doing it’s stuff and showing it’s toughness. There is the “romantic ideas of a classic dive watch sitting by the pool side” and then there are the real life dive watches you actually take diving.

Thanks for the awesome review and pic... You cost me a blue strap now!
Old 24 June 2021, 01:24 AM   #168
Kilometerman
"TRF" Member

I’m glad someone resurrected this. It was an entertaining read.

It’s amazing how butt hurt people get about what is essentially gross margin variablility across all watches from each brand. God forbid they charge more for a gold watch than simply the difference in raw material cost!

I love the carbotech watch I own. I wouldn’t say it’s my “beater”, but I wear it in conditions that I wouldn’t wear another nice watch because it’s so dang durable and scratch resistant.
Kilometerman is offline   Reply With Quote