ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Old 7 March 2019, 07:47 AM   #1
Ruud Van Driver
"TRF" Member

Watch: Mickey Mouse
Icon13 It’s the first time.......

...... I’ve seen a 689 for sale on the used market:

https://www.chrono24.co.uk/panerai/l...id10538974.htm

However, it comes with the wrong box and it’s not on the original strap.

What’s the word I’m looking for? Oh yes, that’ll be ‘pass’ then.

"Why should you allow an AD to shake you down, just so you can buy a watch" - Grady Philpott
Card carrying member of TRF's Global Association of Retro-Grouch-Curmudgeons
Ruud Van Driver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 March 2019, 08:01 AM   #2
nick c
Banned

Nice to see you brother. This case it’s a big pass
nick c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 March 2019, 08:08 AM   #3
Cru Jones
2024 Pledge Member

Ruuuuuuud! Nice hearing from you, hope all is well.

Looking to pick up a second 689? :-)
Cru Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 March 2019, 04:49 PM   #4
rootbeer7
"TRF" Member

Alright China!! We’re due a coffee at some point!!
Old 7 March 2019, 11:41 PM   #5
erik asher
"TRF" Member

It looks legit to me and it’s coming from Govberg...the lighting just isn’t good to show the blue box but all looks original, including the strap
erik asher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 March 2019, 02:54 AM   #6
Ruud Van Driver
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nick c View Post
Nice to see you brother. This case it’s a big pass
Thanks, brother. I've been around, just not so much these days. Not as much spare time as I had in Singapore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cru Jones View Post
Ruuuuuuud! Nice hearing from you, hope all is well.

Looking to pick up a second 689? :-)
Cruuuuuuuuuuuu! All good here, thanks mate. I hope all well your end.

Nah, my watch buying days are over for a while as I have different responsibilities now I'm home (the UK tax man being one). I was just having a browse to see if one was actually for sale

Quote:
Originally Posted by rootbeer7 View Post
Alright China!! We’re due a coffee at some point!!
We are indeed, China

Quote:
Originally Posted by erik asher View Post
It looks legit to me and it’s coming from Govberg...the lighting just isn’t good to show the blue box but all looks original, including the strap
I wasn't questioning the authenticity of the watch but the box is wrong and so is the strap. The box is supposed to be a glossy navy blue unit and the strap is a navy blue 'gator; the strap is described as black in the listing. The lighting has nothing to do with it, my friend. Here’s a picture of my box to show you what I mean. Bad lighting and I’m a crap photographer but the glossy blue is pretty obvious
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg 7CB22CE8-2945-4C62-A5F0-22D582CC4C2D.jpeg (275.5 KB, 388 views)

"Why should you allow an AD to shake you down, just so you can buy a watch" - Grady Philpott
Old 8 March 2019, 03:19 AM   #7
Ruud Van Driver
"TRF" Member

Wow, just had a look and it's been sold!

Old 8 March 2019, 06:04 AM   #8
Cru Jones
2024 Pledge Member

I haven’t seen that blue box before. Very nice.
Cru Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 March 2019, 06:24 AM   #9
crazycarlitos
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruud Van Driver View Post
Wow, just had a look and it's been sold!
What was the asking price? Thx
Old 8 March 2019, 09:49 PM   #10
Ruud Van Driver
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cru Jones View Post
I haven’t seen that blue box before. Very nice.
It's gorgeous. You should see the green one that came with my 737!

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazycarlitos View Post
What was the asking price? Thx
If I recall correctly it was £13,500 or thereabouts, which equates to about US$17,500. I do recall thinking it was cheap given the apparent demand for this piece although I'm not surprised given it was in the wrong box and was not wearing the original strap.

Someone posted in this section a while ago that he managed to find one in the US but it was priced at US$35k.

Old 8 March 2019, 09:56 PM   #11
brandrea
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: es make me smile
Great to see you Paul

That box looks like it comes from boutique models? at least it looks the same as my 690 box.

Hope you’re doing fantastic, and we see more of you around here
brandrea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 March 2019, 11:31 AM   #12
erik asher
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Thanks, brother. I've been around, just not so much these days. Not as much spare time as I had in Singapore

Cruuuuuuuuuuuu! All good here, thanks mate. I hope all well your end.

Nah, my watch buying days are over for a while as I have different responsibilities now I'm home (the UK tax man being one). I was just having a browse to see if one was actually for sale

We are indeed, China

I wasn't questioning the authenticity of the watch but the box is wrong and so is the strap. The box is supposed to be a glossy navy blue unit and the strap is a navy blue 'gator; the strap is described as black in the listing. The lighting has nothing to do with it, my friend. Here’s a picture of my box to show you what I mean. Bad lighting and I’m a crap photographer but the glossy blue is pretty obvious
It actually was a blue box and the strap is not a dark navy rubber. At the time the 689 came out, OP didn’t make a dark navy rubber OEM strap. The strap is definitely a black 24/22 rubber strap. I had a 689 when it first came out (was actually the first in the US to have one) and I am 100% sure the extra strap is black.
Old 9 March 2019, 07:29 PM   #13
Ruud Van Driver
"TRF" Member

Quote:
It actually was a blue box and the strap is not a dark navy rubber. At the time the 689 came out, OP didn’t make a dark navy rubber OEM strap. The strap is definitely a black 24/22 rubber strap. I had a 689 when it first came out (was actually the first in the US to have one) and I am 100% sure the extra strap is black.
I didn’t say anything about rubber OEM straps, navy or black I think we have crossed wires here so I’ll try again:

I have a 689, which I bought from the OP boutique in Singapore but I wasn’t the first in the country to have one, I had to settle for second.

The 689 was released in a glossy blue box on a navy blue ‘gator strap and came with the usual black rubber strap and tools in the box.

The one for sale in the link that I posted was wearing a black ‘gator strap. Even though the watch has now been sold and the pictures are all gone bar one, the advert still states that the watch is on a black ‘gator strap; take a look and see for yourself.

Although the photos weren’t the best, there is no way the box shown with that watch is the same glossy blue box that I had with mine.

Whilst we might not agree on the colour of the box, the strap is most definitely not the strap that it left the OP factory with

Old 11 March 2019, 10:48 AM   #14
erik asher
"TRF" Member

Quote:
I didn’t say anything about rubber OEM straps, navy or black I think we have crossed wires here so I’ll try again:

I have a 689, which I bought from the OP boutique in Singapore but I wasn’t the first in the country to have one, I had to settle for second.

The 689 was released in a glossy blue box on a navy blue ‘gator strap and came with the usual black rubber strap and tools in the box.

The one for sale in the link that I posted was wearing a black ‘gator strap. Even though the watch has now been sold and the pictures are all gone bar one, the advert still states that the watch is on a black ‘gator strap; take a look and see for yourself.

Although the photos weren’t the best, there is no way the box shown with that watch is the same glossy blue box that I had with mine.

Whilst we might not agree on the colour of the box, the strap is most definitely not the strap that it left the OP factory with

I apologise as I misread your post...I thought you said that the strap had a blue OEM rubber—which clearly you didn’t say that...I didn’t look at the gator strap as i just assumed that it was the original blue. But if you say it’s black, it could have very well been a black strap, especially since the blue strap is so popular these days. My source at Govberg said it had the original blue boutique Only blue glossy box, so not sure what happened there.

In any event, your 689 is a beauty—I only teased mine to move to its big brother—the 670.

My apologies once again mate!
Old 11 March 2019, 09:52 PM   #15
Ruud Van Driver
"TRF" Member

Quote:
I apologise as I misread your post...I thought you said that the strap had a blue OEM rubber—which clearly you didn’t say that...I didn’t look at the gator strap as i just assumed that it was the original blue. But if you say it’s black, it could have very well been a black strap, especially since the blue strap is so popular these days. My source at Govberg said it had the original blue boutique Only blue glossy box, so not sure what happened there.

In any event, your 689 is a beauty—I only teased mine to move to its big brother—the 670.

My apologies once again mate!
No apology necessary, mate. We're cool

I thought a bit more about the box and I wonder if they showed the middle box in the photograph, which would explain a lot. As you know, opening a Panerai box is like a Russian doll. With all of mine, first of all there's the outer cardboard box, next there's the black cardboard box before we get to the main watch 'wooden' box, which can vary in colour with SE/LE pieces. I think they might well have shown the black cardboard box, which covered the blue box. Check out my (crap) picture below, which might explain it a bit better (outermost cardboard box missing though ).
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg 1172977C-01ED-4A87-B67F-CF938D769CD4.jpeg (283.1 KB, 145 views)