The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Watches (Non-Rolex) Forum

Old 26 February 2019, 02:25 AM   #61
Psmith
"TRF" Member

Watch: spring-driven
Quote:
Originally Posted by Onewatchguy82 View Post
Great read thanks
I wasn't aware Invicta used this in the pro diver model
Maybe mine was A bit more expensive than a normal one
No worries

The Sellita is a solid movement, and used as a base by various companies - Oris, for example...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Capture.JPG (73.4 KB, 181 views)
Old 1 March 2019, 03:45 AM   #62
Onewatchguy82
"TRF" Member

Watch: Meteorite
My mom surprised me with this today
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Webp.net-resizeimage.jpg (45.6 KB, 165 views)
Onewatchguy82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 March 2019, 04:46 AM   #63
GradyPhilpott
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Tudor Big Rose
I have no problem with homage watches.

I don't even have a problem with Invicta in terms of their homage watches.

My problem with Invicta is their quality.

It was an Invicta 8926 that convinced me that I could actually live with a mechanical watch again after decades of wearing quartz.

That Invicta led me eventually to Rolex and on to other mechanical watches in my collection.

That Invicta is still in my collection, way in the back of a drawer with a broken movement, caused by simply winding it every day while it was off my wrist.

Occasionally, I'll take it out and wind it up just to see the rotor spin at what seems to be 10,000 rpm.

My advice to others is simply to buy an homage from someone else, as I'm just not that impressed with Invicta.

Inaugural TRF $50 Watch Challenge Winner
GradyPhilpott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 March 2019, 01:46 PM   #64
janice&fred
Banned

Watch: all of them!
Quote:
Originally Posted by GradyPhilpott View Post
I have no problem with homage watches.

I don't even have a problem with Invicta in terms of their homage watches.

My problem with Invicta is their quality.

It was an Invicta 8926 that convinced me that I could actually live with a mechanical watch again after decades of wearing quartz.

That Invicta led me eventually to Rolex and on to other mechanical watches in my collection.

That Invicta is still in my collection, way in the back of a drawer with a broken movement, caused by simply winding it every day while it was off my wrist.

Occasionally, I'll take it out and wind it up just to see the rotor spin at what seems to be 10,000 rpm.

My advice to others is simply to buy an homage from someone else, as I'm just not that impressed with Invicta.
you mentioned quality. that is the key to my problem with invicta...the pathology of their quality and marketing in respect to 3rd world deep tropical climates. i will explain.

setting aside the obvious style cloning, invicta is grossly irresponsible in their pushing of inferior products in the philippines and other tropical 3rd world economies. the watch heads and movements themselves are not so bad, and most are even reasonably moisture-proof. however the steel bracelet upper non-removable links are assembled using mild steel pins. so here's the scenario...a family earning possibly $50 to $100 a month dutifully saves up for months to buy their son a nice watch for his graduation. they could buy a new seiko but instead go for the flashy invicta as everyone here wears a seiko and they want their son to have something special.

all is fine until 6 months or a year go by and the bracelet starts to get stiff then breaks between two upper links. the watch may or may not have fallen off and hit the pavement or hard floor. the high humidity and heat of this tropical climate rusted out the mild steel push pins. the son and family are heart broken and traumatized. now...in cebu city there are a few talented watch shops familiar with this problem and can economically drill out the upper links and install removable push pins like the lower adjustable links. unfortunately this country is made up of over 7000 islands and not every watch shop shares this same ability and technique to fix these inferior bracelets.

in most other places in the world invicta is taken for what they are and a fun cheap watch. it's no biggie bracelet-wise as the mild steel pins will survive a long time but here no. it's also not traumatic when a cheap watch bracelet breaks in 1st world countries.

invicta has known of this terrible defect that manifests itself in the deep tropics yet pushes these watches here knowing the poor will be dazzled by the chance to own a flashy rolex-styled GENUINE watch, and subsequently be devastated with the result. even cheap chinese knock off watches manage to use stainless pins in their upper links. with invicta the poor are rewarded for eschewing buying a knock off by getting screwed over with a genuine product.
janice&fred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 March 2019, 11:41 PM   #65
Onewatchguy82
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by janice&fred View Post
you mentioned quality. that is the key to my problem with invicta...the pathology of their quality and marketing in respect to 3rd world deep tropical climates. i will explain.

setting aside the obvious style cloning, invicta is grossly irresponsible in their pushing of inferior products in the philippines and other tropical 3rd world economies. the watch heads and movements themselves are not so bad, and most are even reasonably moisture-proof. however the steel bracelet upper non-removable links are assembled using mild steel pins. so here's the scenario...a family earning possibly $50 to $100 a month dutifully saves up for months to buy their son a nice watch for his graduation. they could buy a new seiko but instead go for the flashy invicta as everyone here wears a seiko and they want their son to have something special.

all is fine until 6 months or a year go by and the bracelet starts to get stiff then breaks between two upper links. the watch may or may not have fallen off and hit the pavement or hard floor. the high humidity and heat of this tropical climate rusted out the mild steel push pins. the son and family are heart broken and traumatized. now...in cebu city there are a few talented watch shops familiar with this problem and can economically drill out the upper links and install removable push pins like the lower adjustable links. unfortunately this country is made up of over 7000 islands and not every watch shop shares this same ability and technique to fix these inferior bracelets.

in most other places in the world invicta is taken for what they are and a fun cheap watch. it's no biggie bracelet-wise as the mild steel pins will survive a long time but here no. it's also not traumatic when a cheap watch bracelet breaks in 1st world countries.

invicta has known of this terrible defect that manifests itself in the deep tropics yet pushes these watches here knowing the poor will be dazzled by the chance to own a flashy rolex-styled GENUINE watch, and subsequently be devastated with the result. even cheap chinese knock off watches manage to use stainless pins in their upper links. with invicta the poor are rewarded for eschewing buying a knock off by getting screwed over with a genuine product.
The swiss made prodivers must have been a better quality mine is 10 years old and no issues
Old 4 March 2019, 12:03 AM   #66
Onewatchguy82
"TRF" Member

Does anyone know how their gold plating holds up?
Old 4 March 2019, 08:33 PM   #67
janice&fred
Banned

Quote:
Does anyone know how their gold plating holds up?
that's sort of like asking how long is a piece of string. wouldn't you suppose gold plating wear would sort of be dependent on the individual's activities wearing the watch? so far in this strange thread you seem to ask a lot of questions yet disagree with anything contrary to positive reports on invicta. if you're enjoying whatever model you are wearing and miraculously it's still staying together then all the power to you. however the title of this thread suggests you already expect the responses you are getting.
Old 4 March 2019, 08:46 PM   #68
Onewatchguy82
"TRF" Member

Quote:
that's sort of like asking how long is a piece of string. wouldn't you suppose gold plating wear would sort of be dependent on the individual's activities wearing the watch? so far in this strange thread you seem to ask a lot of questions yet disagree with anything contrary to positive reports on invicta. if you're enjoying whatever model you are wearing and miraculously it's still staying together then all the power to you. however the title of this thread suggests you already expect the responses you are getting.
Well the only thing I didn't argee with was mine has a Swiss movement not a Japan . And hasn't fallen apart besides that I have read everyone's opinions
Sorry your in a bad mood
Old 5 March 2019, 12:59 AM   #69
janice&fred
Banned

Quote:
Well the only thing I didn't argee with was mine has a Swiss movement not a Japan . And hasn't fallen apart besides that I have read everyone's opinions
Sorry your in a bad mood
well i hate to burst your bubble about ruffling feathers in this thread but i'm actually in a fine mood so i guess you failed?
Old 5 March 2019, 01:14 AM   #70
Onewatchguy82
"TRF" Member

Quote:
well i hate to burst your bubble about ruffling feathers in this thread but i'm actually in a fine mood so i guess you failed?

I'm glad you are in a fine mood.
Have a great day
Old 9 March 2019, 05:08 AM   #71
Paul7
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Syed117 View Post
I don't knock anyone for wearing what they like, but I would never wear an Invicta because all they seem to do is blatantly copy every popular model from other manufacturers. They have clones for every Rolex model. It's embarrassing.

Have somewhat the same issue with Steinhart despite their watches actually being well made.
I own a Rolex and just got a Steinhart dive watch that I'm very happy with. 85% of the quality of a Rolex at 4% of the price. Waterproof to 100M, Swiss-made, ETA movement at 8 steps a second just like my Rolex. The 39mm size fits my 6.5" wrist perfectly, 40mm is borderline too big for me. Steinhart can offer a pretty high quality watch due to modern CNC machining, and of course not having to spend millions on advertising, retail stores, or celebrity endorsement contracts.

I doubt I'll have to have any "No, it isn't a Rolex" conversations, I've worn my Rolex for several years and haven't gotten one comment on it.

Yes, it is sort of a copy, but there is speculation whether Rolex originated the dive watch. If the patent on a drug runs out and you can get the same generic drug for a fraction of the cost, are you going to complain it's just a copy?
Paul7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 March 2019, 06:31 AM   #72
reeko
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul7 View Post
I own a Rolex and just got a Steinhart dive watch that I'm very happy with. 85% of the quality of a Rolex at 4% of the price. Waterproof to 100M, Swiss-made, ETA movement at 8 steps a second just like my Rolex. The 39mm size fits my 6.5" wrist perfectly, 40mm is borderline too big for me. Steinhart can offer a pretty high quality watch due to modern CNC machining, and of course not having to spend millions on advertising, retail stores, or celebrity endorsement contracts.

I doubt I'll have to have any "No, it isn't a Rolex" conversations, I've worn my Rolex for several years and haven't gotten one comment on it.

Yes, it is sort of a copy, but there is speculation whether Rolex originated the dive watch. If the patent on a drug runs out and you can get the same generic drug for a fraction of the cost, are you going to complain it's just a copy?
Well said! I also own a Rolex gmt tt, and afterwards I decided that I really liked the Pepsi look, but I didn't want to get rid of my gmt tt because I love it. So I decided to get a steinhart Pepsi gmt watch with the jubilee. It's a great quality watch for the money, and now I can travel with it to places I would hesitate to wear my rolex.

I don't care what people think. Most people that comment negatively only buy their Rolex for the name, not because their watch fans. How about we all just enjoy our watches, no need to call people out.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk
reeko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 March 2019, 07:18 AM   #73
Paul7
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by reeko View Post
Well said! I also own a Rolex gmt tt, and afterwards I decided that I really liked the Pepsi look, but I didn't want to get rid of my gmt tt because I love it. So I decided to get a steinhart Pepsi gmt watch with the jubilee. It's a great quality watch for the money, and now I can travel with it to places I would hesitate to wear my rolex.
Agreed, if you're going to 2nd and 3rd world places it is nuts IMHO to wear a $15K watch. Desperately poor people do desperate things. Even London is iffy from what I read.

Quote:
I don't care what people think. Most people that comment negatively only buy their Rolex for the name, not because their watch fans. How about we all just enjoy our watches, no need to call people out.

I think as the prices of Rolex SS models go higher, you're going to have more people choosing quality alternatives like Steinhart, and not necessarily because they can't afford a Rolex. People say they're a good investment, didn't they say that about the housing bubble? I can get a 20% return in reliable real estate investment funds. Of course lots of SS Roles owners are going to react negatively when someone else has a watch with much of the quality but a tiny fraction of the price. YMMV

I'm sure many SS Rolex owners here can easily financially afford them, but you wonder about others, people are using loans to buy them. You read books like "Rich Man Poor Man" and generally speaking, buying $15K watches isn't recommended. Who knows, maybe I'm wrong and in 10 years the same watch will be worth $30K, but then again in 10 years a $15K real estate investment could be worth $90K at a 20% return annual.
Old 9 March 2019, 09:43 AM   #74
janice&fred
Banned

Quote:
Agreed, if you're going to 2nd and 3rd world places it is nuts IMHO to wear a $15K watch. Desperately poor people do desperate things. Even London is iffy from what I read.

I think as the prices of Rolex SS models go higher, you're going to have more people choosing quality alternatives like Steinhart, and not necessarily because they can't afford a Rolex. People say they're a good investment, didn't they say that about the housing bubble? I can get a 20% return in reliable real estate investment funds. Of course lots of SS Roles owners are going to react negatively when someone else has a watch with much of the quality but a tiny fraction of the price. YMMV

I'm sure many SS Rolex owners here can easily financially afford them, but you wonder about others, people are using loans to buy them. You read books like "Rich Man Poor Man" and generally speaking, buying $15K watches isn't recommended. Who knows, maybe I'm wrong and in 10 years the same watch will be worth $30K, but then again in 10 years a $15K real estate investment could be worth $90K at a 20% return annual.
both of you guys posting today make sense with the exception of this being a thread on invicta not steinhart. a steinhart watch is head and shoulders above an invicta in quality of build. as far as style similar to rolex that doesn't bother me at all. there are only so many ways a round diver style watch can look so naturally they all appear similar.
Old 9 March 2019, 03:26 PM   #75
reeko
"TRF" Member

Quote:

I definitely agree, I would only wear my rolex in Canada/US and some parts of Europe. I'm planning on visiting central and South America next year with my wife and kids and I'm not going to put us at risk with my watch, even if it's insured.

I also don't think we should treat our watches as an investment or like cash. Right now prices are increasing and it's great for people, but the economy and prices could crash in a few years; so don't bank on making more money and just enjoy your watches.

Have you seen that new steinhart 39 gmt black and blue in steel? It looks interesting!

Old 9 March 2019, 03:30 PM   #76
reeko
"TRF" Member

Quote:
both of you guys posting today make sense with the exception of this being a thread on invicta not steinhart. a steinhart watch is head and shoulders above an invicta in quality of build. as far as style similar to rolex that doesn't bother me at all. there are only so many ways a round diver style watch can look so naturally they all appear similar.
Sure this was originally about Invicta, but others posted about homage watches in general and being offended by them. We were just replying to that, and to those negative comments.

I've never handled an Invicta so I can't comment on their build quality. How do they compare to cheaper seikos?

Old 9 March 2019, 04:21 PM   #77
janice&fred
Banned

Quote:
Sure this was originally about Invicta, but others posted about homage watches in general and being offended by them. We were just replying to that, and to those negative comments.

I've never handled an Invicta so I can't comment on their build quality. How do they compare to cheaper seikos?

i don't think seiko skimps on materials. as i pointed out previously the invicta bracelet upper link hinge pins are mild steel and rust out here in the tropics which is heart-breaking to those that have very limited income and fall for the glitter and hype of the store displays. seikos easily withstand this tropical environment. invicta should have a bit more understanding of different geographic locales they push their products and the devastating results when 3rd world decent citizens use their scant precious resources buying what they believe is a watch that is comparable in quality and longevity to other similarly priced brands.
Old 10 March 2019, 07:29 AM   #78
Paul7
Banned

Quote:

The beauty of the internet, companies can't rip people off with impunity anymore.
Old 10 March 2019, 07:54 AM   #79
123Blueface
"TRF" Member

Watch: All
Quote:
Originally Posted by _speedmaster_ View Post
I'd sooner draw a sub on my wrist with a sharpie than wear that.
Sort of like my DD?
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg B9690B07-5F1F-4675-8098-3CF81BBBF756.jpeg (65.0 KB, 109 views)
Old 10 March 2019, 08:49 AM   #80
_speedmaster_
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 123Blueface View Post
Sort of like my DD?
I see you went with white gold.

instagram.com/ct_watch_guy
_speedmaster_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 March 2019, 11:56 AM   #81
janice&fred
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by _speedmaster_ View Post
I see you went with white gold.
it's annoying when i read erroneous observations. judging by the markers that is the platinum model.
Old 10 March 2019, 04:18 PM   #82
reeko
"TRF" Member

Quote:
i don't think seiko skimps on materials. as i pointed out previously the invicta bracelet upper link hinge pins are mild steel and rust out here in the tropics which is heart-breaking to those that have very limited income and fall for the glitter and hype of the store displays. seikos easily withstand this tropical environment. invicta should have a bit more understanding of different geographic locales they push their products and the devastating results when 3rd world decent citizens use their scant precious resources buying what they believe is a watch that is comparable in quality and longevity to other similarly priced brands.
That's horrible! I can now see why so many people are against Invicta. I hope the word gets out through the internet, like Paul says.

What type of watches are popular in your area? You mention that Seikos are popular for a good reason, any others?

Old 10 March 2019, 08:33 PM   #83
janice&fred
Banned

Quote:
That's horrible! I can now see why so many people are against Invicta. I hope the word gets out through the internet, like Paul says.

What type of watches are popular in your area? You mention that Seikos are popular for a good reason, any others?

hi reeko yes seikos have always been the mainstay here in these islands.
seiko 5 and diver models for the most part. there is also a surprising amount of good swiss stuff and especially vintage. for modern swiss the most popular seems to be tag heuer, longines, tissot and oris. we enjoy hunting around the markets and second hand shops for watches in our spare time.
Old 11 March 2019, 09:20 AM   #84
Paul7
Banned

Quote:
I definitely agree, I would only wear my rolex in Canada/US and some parts of Europe. I'm planning on visiting central and South America next year with my wife and kids and I'm not going to put us at risk with my watch, even if it's insured.

I also don't think we should treat our watches as an investment or like cash. Right now prices are increasing and it's great for people, but the economy and prices could crash in a few years; so don't bank on making more money and just enjoy your watches.

Have you seen that new steinhart 39 gmt black and blue in steel? It looks interesting!

Reeko, haven't seen the new 39 gmt black and blue but I just got a 39 Ocean with green bezel so am all set.

More thoughts on the whole homage subject, IMHO it depends where you live. If you're in SoCal where Rolex is common and you have clients wearing them, then maybe in that case it does matter what other people think and you should get the Sub. Where I live I almost never see a Rolex, but when I go to New York on business where they're common I wear my Rolex DJ.
Old 12 March 2019, 06:32 AM   #85
SOG DIVER
"TRF" Member

Watch: 1680Red-551214060M
There are at least 6-8 Rolex Submariner homage watches out there, including Invicta,
which allegedly has a Seiko movement. Price ranges from the Invicta Pro Diver to
the Sea Rover, Stein....., the real question is the movement made by whom for Invicta,
as to which caliber.
SOG DIVER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 March 2019, 09:26 AM   #86
SOG DIVER
"TRF" Member

Watch: 1680Red-551214060M
Like motorcycles or gals-you have to own or get close to make valid critiques.. I got one for 3rd world visits to fool the 16610 watch thieves..
It died the first week-so back it went. Not recommended.

I did get a look -alike: a 14060 M Rolex. It should do well as replica..chortle.

Since I have successfully taken a 1680 red Submariner to Mexico And Peru,
the thieves may have to avoid the wearer.

Stay away from Invicta. Caveat Emptor.

to
SOG DIVER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 March 2019, 05:15 PM   #87
Andad
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: A few.

Andad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 April 2019, 08:45 AM   #88
Roy_S
"TRF" Member

Recently got a couple of their ‘Grand Divers’, quite like them

Cheap & cheerful’s good sometimes.
Roy_S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 April 2019, 08:54 AM   #89
GreatHarry
"TRF" Member

Watch: CHNR
Imitation is the best form of flattery. No?

That being said...

Wasn't there a Rolex advertisement from way back in the 80's-90's for a Submariner, citing "often imitated, but never equaled".
GreatHarry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 April 2019, 12:07 PM   #90
Saint-Tropez
Banned

An honest advertisement. If you can afford the best, consider the MB....for all others consider the Ford.
Saint-Tropez is offline   Reply With Quote