The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Old 20 March 2019, 10:37 PM   #1
atn_uk
"TRF" Member

Best cheap Sub and Explorer II homages?

I am on a list for new sub and a new Explorer 2, Polar, but don’t anticipate them being filled for a while. I can only afford one so was thinking of maybe buying a couple of cheap homage watches to give them some wrist time before making a decision.

I assume the Explorer will arrive far sooner than the Sub and I’ll buy that if I like it enough but as I can’t afford both it would be good to get a feel for their looks, size and weight.

I’d only want to spend at most $200 on each, ideally even less, and I have seen watches from Panis, Alpha, Invicta that look very Sub like, but nothing very Explorer-like other than fakes which I don’t really want to go for, rewarding this industry.

Any suggestions on either?
atn_uk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 March 2019, 10:42 PM   #2
Boba Fett
"TRF" Member

Watch: Star Wars
We'll done for staying away from fakes. Buy something from Seiko to tide you over. Seiko is a well respected watch company with lots of good models.
Boba Fett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 March 2019, 11:04 PM   #3
atn_uk
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boba Fett View Post
We'll done for staying away from fakes. Buy something from Seiko to tide you over. Seiko is a well respected watch company with lots of good models.
Thanks. I do have a few Seiko (skx009, srpb43 and another I can’t recall the number of). What I am after is an almost fake like homage, so I can get a feel for what a real sub is like for size, weight and looks. Not so much a stop gap as a tester.

I currently have an SD43 which I love but is a bit large, hence wanting a Sub.
Old 20 March 2019, 11:10 PM   #4
Jhowton23
"TRF" Member

get one of the sword hand ginault ocean rover watches. they will get mixed reviews, but they have a lot of great features from multiple generations of subs and its not an homage to a current model so i see nothing wrong with getting an homage to something unobtainable
Jhowton23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 March 2019, 11:27 PM   #5
celticjohn
"TRF" Member

https://www.steinhartwatches.de/en/diver-watch.html

This look pretty close in relation to GMT, YM, Sub, Vintage Pepsi etc.
celticjohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 March 2019, 11:31 PM   #6
atn_uk
"TRF" Member

The Ginault is lovely- but hardly $200!

To be clear. This is not INSTEAD of a Sub. This is to see if I would like the size and feel of a Sub ahead of actually buying one, and to help me to decide whether to buy the Explorer 2 when it arrives or to wait longer for the Sub when and if I ever get to the top of the list. Bear in mind I have currently never even seen a real Steel Date Sub in the flesh.

Down the road i’ll Just dump the watch or give to my nephew.

If Rolex actually cared about selling Steel watches to their customers this would not be a thing I would even be considering- as I would at the very least be able to see one of their watches in one of their shops to help me decide whether to buy it.

Last edited by atn_uk; 21 March 2019 at 12:20 AM.. Reason: Extra clarification on the premise
Old 21 March 2019, 12:14 AM   #7
ejj
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16570
Under $200 is tough for the nicer looking homage like Ginault and MkII. Save your money. As mentioned, Seiko and Steinhart maybe.
ejj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 March 2019, 12:18 AM   #8
Jhowton23
"TRF" Member

sorry i didnt read the 200 dollar pricepoint. get an invicta and call it a day tbh
Jhowton23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 March 2019, 01:08 AM   #9
steadywaters
"TRF" Member

Watch: 114060
From experience, I'd say stay away from the homages of watches that you're capable of acquiring.

I had an Invicta 8926OB to see if I'd like the Sub. I did, but it did take away a bit of the excitement from actually owning a Sub (mostly from the aesthetic perspective).

Get an homage of something that would be absolutely out of the questions in the near future. Or, of a model that's slightly different.

If you must get a straight up homage, at least get them in a very different color.
steadywaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 March 2019, 05:48 AM   #10
tjs00
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by atn_uk View Post
I am on a list for new sub and a new Explorer 2, Polar, but don’t anticipate them being filled for a while. I can only afford one so was thinking of maybe buying a couple of cheap homage watches to give them some wrist time before making a decision.

I assume the Explorer will arrive far sooner than the Sub and I’ll buy that if I like it enough but as I can’t afford both it would be good to get a feel for their looks, size and weight.

I’d only want to spend at most $200 on each, ideally even less, and I have seen watches from Panis, Alpha, Invicta that look very Sub like, but nothing very Explorer-like other than fakes which I don’t really want to go for, rewarding this industry.

Any suggestions on either?
I am pretty happy with my Certina DS while I wait. Date is a little wonky but decent build quality ($595 from grey).

https://www.certina.com/watch/ds-action/C0324101105100
tjs00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 March 2019, 06:53 AM   #11
atn_uk
"TRF" Member

Thanks all for the inputs - even those who don’t seem to get what I am seeking to do yet.

Good idea Re the alternative colour - maybe I should get a green Invicta!

Actually it is quite interesting that nobod6 seems to make a direct homage to the Explorer II in Polar White. There is a Seiko that is a bit like it, but I have not come across anything else.
Old 22 March 2019, 09:50 AM   #12
Motik
"TRF" Member

Wanted to post a link to an Explorer II Polar hommage I found on AliExpress but I'm not (yet) allowed.

Search for "Peter Lee 42mm" on Google and you should find it. It's a nice watch, unfortunately with a non-settable GMT hand and silver hour and minute hands, which make it difficult to read.
Motik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 October 2019, 01:18 PM   #13
SOG DIVER
"TRF" Member

Watch: 1680Red-551214060M
Look at the Steinhart offerings with the ETA 2824-2 or 2892 SWISS movements.
Stay far away from Invicta.

The Steinharts have 2-year real warranties and excellent customer service.
For their quality-real bargains but better looking than SEIKO-IMHO.
SOG DIVER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 October 2019, 04:08 AM   #14
Lesnerelli23
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jhowton23 View Post
sorry i didnt read the 200 dollar pricepoint. get an invicta and call it a day tbh
I agree with this, however, it will not exactly mimic the magcase of the current sub and the bracelet by Rolex is so much better with the glidelock. Another poster mentioned the 8926ob and I did the same as them but I disagree that it wasn't as magical to upgrade.

The invicta uses a seiko movement with all the same features and the weight of the watch is similar. There are some obvious differences but it's going to give you the best (and cheapest) approximation. And, it will run well for a long time so if/when you give it away it will still be a nice gesture. You can pick one up for like $50 on eBay brand new if you keep an eye out!
Lesnerelli23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 October 2019, 04:14 AM   #15
Lesnerelli23
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by atn_uk View Post
Thanks all for the inputs - even those who don’t seem to get what I am seeking to do yet.

Good idea Re the alternative colour - maybe I should get a green Invicta!

Actually it is quite interesting that nobod6 seems to make a direct homage to the Explorer II in Polar White. There is a Seiko that is a bit like it, but I have not come across anything else.
bernhardt watches makes a pretty direct homage of the exp ii polar for around $600 i believe. check out their website and look under GMT collection. They make a very cool "batman" as well.
Lesnerelli23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 October 2019, 04:22 AM   #16
Wahlberg
"TRF" Member

Just get a Seiko SKX 007/009 or a Turtle. Cheap 2-300-400 USD, good looking and not a homage.
Wahlberg is offline   Reply With Quote