The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex WatchTech

Old 1 November 2010, 12:33 AM   #1
kennedywayne
"TRF" Member

Understanding 3 timezones on a GMT II master

Hi,

I need help in understanding how to set & use the 3 timezones on my GMT - I can do 2.

I'm in Amsterdam & want to see Cairo & Beijing.

Cant seem to find any videos online they only show 2 dualzones.

Thanks.
kennedywayne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 November 2010, 02:58 AM   #2
Tools
TRF Moderator & 2024 DATE-JUST41 Patron

Watch: GMT's
They can only show two at a time.. You either have to turn the bezel for the third, or do the math...........
Old 8 November 2010, 12:01 PM   #3
LandLawMan
"TRF" Member

Watch: Marco Milandri BMW
The prior response is correct. To say that the GMT can show ("--SHOW--") three time zones simultaneously, intimates that the operator need to nothing but observe the watch in order to ascertain three different time zones. This is not the case.

You must ALWAYS have the 24-hour hand set to GMT. Then, set your bezel so that the 24th hour marker lines-up with the "12" on your watch face. Whatever the 24-hour hand is pointing to on the 24-hour bezel, is GMT. If it’s pointing to, say, 19, then it’s 7:00PM in Greenwich.

Now here's why implying that the Rolex GMT can show ("--SHOW--") three times zones, is a bit disingenuous, perhaps disingenuous AT BEST: It's because you have to turn the bezel in order to ascertain the time in a THIRD time zone. That’s a requirement to physically manipulate the device, and frankly there’s a LOT of watches that can show you lots of time zones if you physically manipulate the watch. For instance, if you want to now know the time in, say, Baghdad, then you have to rotate the bezel three clicks counterclockwise. Then, look at where the 24-hour hand is pointing to on the 24-hour bezel. It’s pointing to the 22. Thus, it’s 10:00 PM in Baghdad. BUT WHEN YOU DO THAT – WHEN YOU ASCERTAIN THE TIME IN BAGHDAD, YOU LOSE THE ABILITY TO INSTANTLY SEE (ascertain) G.M.T. (The time in Greenwich, England).

So really, I think it's more appropriate (if not more accurate) to say that the GMT can EITHER (1): show you two time zones (yours and that in Greenwich), OR to say (2): "The GMT watch can show you two times zones with the ability to mechanically switch one of them to any time zone in the world [as long as you happen to know how many hours that particular desired time zone is -- plus hours or minus hours -- from Greenwich."
Of course, that's a fairly loquacious slogan for a magazine ad, no? A lot sexier to say that the GMT can show you three time zones.

By the way, there are actually 40 different time zones on Earth. But there are only twenty-FIVE (yes, that’s twenty-**FIVE**) time zones recognized by the military and pilots. Why are there twenty-FIVE zones? Because Greenwich is GMT+0. Thus, “0” is actually A ZONE. That’s ONE. Now add 12 each way around the Earth. 12+12+1=25.
LandLawMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 November 2010, 04:31 AM   #4
sheldonsmith
2024 Pledge Member

A Rolex created tutorial on how to use the 24 hour bezel that is on there website as well as here (PC) and here (Mac).

-Sheldon