The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Old 2 December 2018, 01:01 AM   #91
GB-man
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: addiction issues
Quote:
Originally Posted by RolexZen View Post
Ah, you might qualify in the camp that someone earlier called "too much money to (not) GAF". Not that you don't care, and it wouldn't upset you to lose a watch, but it wouldn't devastate you*.

I believe you also move a lot of watches through your collection, so insuring your watches might also be an unreasonable burden to you? I don't insure my cheaper watches, but I do have my priciest ones insured, and I don't plan to move those.

*I'm the same way on extended warranty add ons on electronics or appliances--I self-insure, and will just pay out of my own savings if something needs to be replaced after initial warranty period.

Yeah I guess it all comes down to risk tolerance.
Old 5 December 2018, 03:36 AM   #92
jbk45
"TRF" Member

Watch: Too many.
My watch has a been recovered by the SFPD! More details to come as I get them but I'm over the moon right now and my faith in humanity has been restored a little bit.

I am beyond grateful that the authorities were persistent in their efforts to recover my watch - more to come!
jbk45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 December 2018, 03:38 AM   #93
dan993
"TRF" Member

Great news!
dan993 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 December 2018, 03:41 AM   #94
DeeTee
"TRF" Member

Watch: Netflix
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbk45 View Post
My watch has a been recovered by the SFPD! More details to come as I get them but I'm over the moon right now and my faith in humanity has been restored a little bit.

I am beyond grateful that the authorities were persistent in their efforts to recover my watch - more to come!
DeeTee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 December 2018, 03:44 AM   #95
mjclark32
"TRF" Member

Watch: IWC, Rolex, AP
Quote:

Awesome! Hope condition is the same you left it in. Did they say how it was recovered?

Edit. Just read it was run over etc. hope it’s not too bad
Old 5 December 2018, 04:07 AM   #96
singe89
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex, AP & Patek
Holy....!!!! That’s awesome. Congrats
singe89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 December 2018, 04:40 AM   #97
imperio
"TRF" Member

Watch: this space
Great news! Happy for you. Now you'll have a story to go with the watch. Post pics when you get it back!
Old 5 December 2018, 04:47 AM   #98
RolexZen
"TRF" Member

Watch: No Rolex
Awesome. Fingers crossed that your watch is in good condition!
RolexZen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 December 2018, 05:01 AM   #99
wiswrist
2024 Pledge Member

Wow! That's great news.

Post some pics when you have it back in your hands.
Old 5 December 2018, 05:34 AM   #100
bund
"TRF" Member

Wow!!! Congrats!!! So happy for you!
bund is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 December 2018, 05:41 AM   #101
Trailboss516
"TRF" Member

Watch: It's complicated
WHOAAA! Looking forward to hearing what you can share. Congrats! :)
Trailboss516 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 December 2018, 05:59 AM   #102
Burlington
"TRF" Member

Awesome news !!! This is such an unexpectedly positive turn of events.

Definitely some pics of the lucky watch when you have it !

― Winston S. Churchill
Burlington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 December 2018, 06:06 AM   #103
Tomas Eriksson
"TRF" Member

Watch: 15707CE
Wow, will be interresting to we a RO that has been ran over by cars. Hope you get a replacement by the insurance company.
Old 5 December 2018, 06:16 AM   #104
jbk45
"TRF" Member

Condition is TBD as I haven't gotten my hands on it yet...police said it appears to be "ticking" but that the case and bracelet appear to have sustained some minor damage - whether its a ding/scratch/scrape remains to be seen but they confirmed the glass on both sides was not cracked. As soon as I get the watch back, I'm sending it straight to AP for inspection and repairs - whatever it takes to restore the watch to it's original working order and condition.

My CC insures me up to $10K for replacement or repair so praying that whatever the damages are, they're minor and easily replaced - I'm more concerned about the movement and case than the bracelet for obvious reasons as I wouldn't watch to have the watch re-cased but also hope the damage isn't so bad that it cannot be buffed out. Whether or not any potential impact damaged the movement will also have to be determined later.

The saving grace is that the watch case was fairly robust and padded - I also covered the watch in bubble wrap inside the case. I'll be curious to see if any of the damages are a result of the thief wearing and banging it around carelessly - whether or not I'll be able to prove that and pursue some kind of restitution from him is another story but I will be pursuing every legal option at my disposal.

Fingers remain crossed but I am just over the moon that my watch is recovered and am anxiously awaiting the results of the investigation as an arrest has been made.
Old 5 December 2018, 06:23 AM   #105
jbk45
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by imperio View Post
Great news! Happy for you. Now you'll have a story to go with the watch. Post pics when you get it back!
I have been so down and out over the situation that I was contemplating selling the watch if it was ever recovered but now I know that just isn't an option. I went through so much to be able to acquire this watch and have gone through all of this effort to recover it - it's my first and only AP and with a story like this, will be passed down to my first born. It'll be one hell of a story to boot!

I'm still in shock and disbelief!
Old 5 December 2018, 06:50 AM   #106
RolexZen
"TRF" Member

Watch: No Rolex
Quote:
Condition is TBD as I haven't gotten my hands on it yet...police said it appears to be "ticking" but that the case and bracelet appear to have sustained some minor damage - whether its a ding/scratch/scrape remains to be seen but they confirmed the glass on both sides was not cracked. As soon as I get the watch back, I'm sending it straight to AP for inspection and repairs - whatever it takes to restore the watch to it's original working order and condition.

My CC insures me up to $10K for replacement or repair so praying that whatever the damages are, they're minor and easily replaced - I'm more concerned about the movement and case than the bracelet for obvious reasons as I wouldn't watch to have the watch re-cased but also hope the damage isn't so bad that it cannot be buffed out. Whether or not any potential impact damaged the movement will also have to be determined later.

The saving grace is that the watch case was fairly robust and padded - I also covered the watch in bubble wrap inside the case. I'll be curious to see if any of the damages are a result of the thief wearing and banging it around carelessly - whether or not I'll be able to prove that and pursue some kind of restitution from him is another story but I will be pursuing every legal option at my disposal.

Fingers remain crossed but I am just over the moon that my watch is recovered and am anxiously awaiting the results of the investigation as an arrest has been made.
An arrest has been made? Is it against the law to find a watch in the street and keep it?

Surprised to hear that. Fill us in on the details when you get them! And congratulations!
RolexZen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 December 2018, 07:05 AM   #107
jbk45
"TRF" Member

Quote:
An arrest has been made? Is it against the law to find a watch in the street and keep it?

Surprised to hear that. Fill us in on the details when you get them! And congratulations!
It's more complicated and I don't have all of the details but I'll share more when I'm able.

Common law defines lost property as personal property that was unintentionally left by its true owner. For example, a wallet that falls out of someone's pocket is lost.

For reference:

"At common law, a person who found lost personal property could keep it until and unless the original owner comes forward. This rule applied to people who discovered lost property in public areas, as well as to people who discovered lost property on their property.

Modern Interpretations:

Many jurisdictions have statutes that modify the common law's treatment of lost property. Typically, these statutes require lost personal property to be turned over to a government official, and that if the property is not claimed within a set period of time, it goes to the finder, and the original owner's rights to the property are terminated."

source: https://www.law.cornell.edu/wex/lost_property
Old 5 December 2018, 07:21 AM   #108
speedfighter
"TRF" Member

Icon7

excellent news!!!
speedfighter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 December 2018, 07:38 AM   #109
Jinson
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Older GMTs & Subs
Have been monitoring your story ... and so happy to hear the great news! Hope all goes smoothly from here.
Jinson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 December 2018, 08:06 AM   #110
toucan
"TRF" Member

Watch: 5970
Crazy!
toucan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 December 2018, 08:18 AM   #111
19GT3RS
Banned

Wow ! Happy for you.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
19GT3RS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 December 2018, 09:05 AM   #112
1st amg
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex,AP,Panerai
Holy smokes! That is incredible news, this is a great story! Please do not forget all the juicy details, maybe something we could learn from this.
1st amg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 December 2018, 09:24 AM   #113
JoeCool76
"TRF" Member

WOW. Very happy for you.
JoeCool76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 December 2018, 10:28 AM   #114
vman
"TRF" Member

Watch: less TV
Happy to hear that. Honestly, if the damage is minor, I'd keep it "as-is"; what a great story. As a watch dude, I'd definitely report any watch I'd find, esp AP, to local authorities/enthusiasts/forums.
Old 5 December 2018, 12:00 PM   #115
Gh0st0
"TRF" Member

Interesting turn of events, was curious on the watch condition since the 15400 bracelet doesn’t really collapse under itself and usually retains its shape
Gh0st0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 December 2018, 12:22 PM   #116
Burlington
"TRF" Member

Quote:
It's more complicated and I don't have all of the details but I'll share more when I'm able.

Common law defines lost property as personal property that was unintentionally left by its true owner. For example, a wallet that falls out of someone's pocket is lost.

For reference:

"At common law, a person who found lost personal property could keep it until and unless the original owner comes forward. This rule applied to people who discovered lost property in public areas, as well as to people who discovered lost property on their property.

Modern Interpretations:

Many jurisdictions have statutes that modify the common law's treatment of lost property. Typically, these statutes require lost personal property to be turned over to a government official, and that if the property is not claimed within a set period of time, it goes to the finder, and the original owner's rights to the property are terminated."

source: https://www.law.cornell.edu/wex/lost_property

This is my understanding of the law too - there is no “finders, keepers” right.

Same goes for something like a bank transfer received in error etc. no legal right to keep it.

My usual policy is to give anything found to charity if there is no way of knowing who the owner is (i.e. a dropped £5 note with no idea who dropped it) but obviously finding something like that of value & where the owner can be traced, it would need to go to the relevant authorities.

― Winston S. Churchill
Burlington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 December 2018, 12:33 PM   #117
appa666
"TRF" Member

Quote:

Feel the same.

Or maybe the "keeper" sighted OP dropped his watch out of his pocket whole time but kept silence?

Its a miracle to recover your watch, OP.
Big congrats.
appa666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 December 2018, 12:42 PM   #118
vman
"TRF" Member

Watch: less TV
A lesson I learned long time ago...

Was in line to buy lunch. It was my first real job after college, I made okay money for that stage in my life, but nothing to brag about. As I was tooling around a coffee stand, I saw a nice $20 bill. So I picked it up, and a few of my co-workers noticed and stated "finders keepers" as the rule. It did not settle well with me, so I brought it to the cashier and said, "look, here is a twenty I found." The woman looked at me rather oddly, but did not say anything except for "I'll put in aside in case if somebody comes for it, but I doubt..."

Fast forward 5 minutes and as I was eating I saw a janitor come up to the stand stating that he lost his lunch money, $20 for 2 days. The lady smiled and gave him the twenty.
Old 5 December 2018, 03:34 PM   #119
jbk45
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gh0st0 View Post
Interesting turn of events, was curious on the watch condition since the 15400 bracelet doesn’t really collapse under itself and usually retains its shape
Watch was in a case secured around a pillow so it wouldn’t be able to “collapse” ionto itself. I’m hoping this afforded it the extra protection that saved it from being damaged catastrophically.
Old 5 December 2018, 03:39 PM   #120
jbk45
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by vman View Post
Happy to hear that. Honestly, if the damage is minor, I'd keep it "as-is"; what a great story. As a watch dude, I'd definitely report any watch I'd find, esp AP, to local authorities/enthusiasts/forums.
We’ll see what shape it’s in - what sucks is that the watch was absolutely pristine before all of this so the thought of wearing it with any damage makes me cringe - especially being only 3 weeks old. But I was thinking I’d have AP make whatever necessary repairs to restore the watch and ask them to return the damaged pieces to me for posterity.