The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Old 31 January 2019, 12:10 PM   #1
DoctorA
"TRF" Member

New to the GS world and need help

Hello friends
I’m thinking about adding a GS dress watch to my watch Arsenal. I wouldn’t have thought of a Seiko a couple of years ago but the beautiful craftsmanship and attention to details are really appealing to me.

I did my research and learned about the spring drive vs automatic. But couldn’t find clear answers to the following

1- which mechanism is more preferred? I’m a little skeptical (out of ignorance) of the spring drive not being a true automatic.
2- which mechanism is more sought after, spring bar or high beat automatic?
3- I never buy my watches as investment but out of curiosity how does GS retain value in general and does one mechanism retain value more than another?

Thank you so much I’m advance
Old 31 January 2019, 01:18 PM   #2
jcarm981
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Patek 5167
Curious about this as well. I just picked up a SBGA387 and looking at maybe adding a SBGR311. I don’t know all the answers other than out of the entire collection I tried on - those are two watches that stuck out as “must haves”
jcarm981 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 January 2019, 01:36 PM   #3
joli160
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Yachtmaster
I don't know the answers but I would opt for a spring drive, amazing revolutionary engine which seems fitting to a GS.
It breathes everything the GS stands for
Old 31 January 2019, 02:01 PM   #4
WS9D
"TRF" Member

Watch: es..More Watches!
Quote:
Originally Posted by DoctorA View Post
Hello friends
I’m thinking about adding a GS dress watch to my watch Arsenal. I wouldn’t have thought of a Seiko a couple of years ago but the beautiful craftsmanship and attention to details are really appealing to me.

I did my research and learned about the spring drive vs automatic. But couldn’t find clear answers to the following

1- which mechanism is more preferred? I’m a little skeptical (out of ignorance) of the spring drive not being a true automatic.
3- I never buy my watches as investment but out of curiosity how does GS retain value in general and does one mechanism retain value more than another?

Check this page out https://www.grand-seiko.com/us-en/ab...nt/springdrive

It's a mechanical movement with what they call a tri-synchro regulator (Spring Drive utilizes an exclusive speed control mechanism, incorporating an IC, an electronic brake and a quartz crystal) to regulate the time. My GS Spring drive is by far one of the most accurate watches i've ever owned. Plus it has a second hand sweep that is amazing. Look for some youtube post on that. But essentially, the way I understand it, it is a mechanical movement with some extra stuff. It's a very special movement IMO.
WS9D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 January 2019, 02:12 PM   #5
Chute
"TRF" Member

Watch: 6 digit Rolex+APRO
1. Spring drive is unlike any other movement and is my preference
2. Spring drive again in my opinion due to its uniqueness and sweep seconds hand.
3. I can’t think of any GS that sells for more than retail on the secondary market. Maybe some limited editions. You can usually get up to 20% or so off a new one and more if you buy used. I’d guess the ones with the old Seiko on top would be worth more later since they are discontinued.
Chute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 January 2019, 03:17 PM   #6
Syed117
"TRF" Member

Can't go wrong with a snowflake!
Old 31 January 2019, 04:18 PM   #7
DoctorA
"TRF" Member

I have another question please, I understand that the spring mechanism is more accurate (my Apple Watch is the most accurate ) any other advantages to the spring mechanism ? Durability, service needs, other values?
Thank you!!
Old 31 January 2019, 05:10 PM   #8
DoctorA
"TRF" Member

Tried the snowflake gold indices and really like it
IMG_6855.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 31 January 2019, 05:40 PM   #9
daveathall
"TRF" Member

Watch: Various
I think it is down to personal choice in regards to which movement, I have a spring drive and a quartz GS, both are fabulous, I lust after a spring drive. Why did I pick a High Beat over a Spring Drive? Well, at the time, the watch that looked nicest to me in the showcase was a HB, if there was a Spring Drive at that time that I liked the look of better, I would own it now.

I don't buy my watches for profit but, if I was to part exchange my GS, I would imagine I would get more for it in a GS AD than I would against another make of watch.

I have had mine for coming up to 4 years, they still amaze me.

I am not sure about servicing, I am sure mine will go in for the procedure within the next couple of years, at the moment it is very accurate so it wont be yet.

DAVE

daveathall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 January 2019, 05:51 PM   #10
Old Expat Beast
TRF Moderator & 2024 Patron

Watch: SEIKO
If you want to dip a toe into GS, try one of the 9F Quartz series. You get all the GS case/dial/hands quality and finishing, plus a 9-jewel movement at the top of its field that likely won't need a service in your lifetime (making it very economical in the long term if you keep it).

Here's a good Hodinkee article by Jack Forster: https://www.hodinkee.com/articles/se...ith-caliber-9f

..and a couple of pics of mine, which I picked up new from an AD in Japan for quite a bit less than US$2k.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg GS Off Wrist.jpg (231.1 KB, 308 views)
File Type: jpg GREAT GS MACRO.JPG (254.7 KB, 306 views)
Old 31 January 2019, 06:51 PM   #11
MJ8
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116610LN
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Expat Beast View Post
If you want to dip a toe into GS, try one of the 9F Quartz series. You get all the GS case/dial/hands quality and finishing, plus a 9-jewel movement at the top of its field that likely won't need a service in your lifetime (making it very economical in the long term if you keep it).

Here's a good Hodinkee article by Jack Forster: https://www.hodinkee.com/articles/se...ith-caliber-9f

..and a couple of pics of mine, which I picked up new from an AD in Japan for quite a bit less than US$2k.
What is the reference of this day date GS?
MJ8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 January 2019, 06:53 PM   #12
Old Expat Beast
TRF Moderator & 2024 Patron

Watch: SEIKO
Sbgt235
Old 31 January 2019, 11:14 PM   #13
asiparks
"TRF" Member

Watch: ing the Detectives
I went for the Spring Drive SBEG201, simply because that was, holistically, the watch I best liked the look of. If it was a High Beat, I'd still have bought it.

Some of the GS line I find massively appealing, some I'm not too keen on, but you can't knock the absolute unwavering attention to detail consistent throughout the line.

I'd argue that Spring Drive is one of the few true innovations in mechanical watchmaking this past half century, everything else has been incremental evolution. This represented a radical rethink that resulted in a quantum leap forward for accuracy. That the gold accented Snowflake built around it is so lovely, that's just a bonus.

I buy on the secondary market, but only watches that I'm sure I'll be keeping for a while, if I do lose some money, well meh, I don't expect to use or enjoy things for free anyway...
Old 1 February 2019, 12:14 AM   #14
Kinnakeet
"TRF" Member

Watch: WG Breguet Typexx
I now have a Spring Drive and a High Beat GS- the collector in me appreciates both these movements as being special to Grand Seiko.

The Spring Drive is a truly mechanical watch. The new technology behind it is likely soooo patented that the Swiss can’t touch it.
I’ll bet that if the Swiss could, they’d have SD versions in their own offerings as well !
(Instead, I feel they try to foster a bias that SD is not a true mechanical watch .)
Kinnakeet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 February 2019, 12:26 AM   #15
DoctorA
"TRF" Member

I’m liking the SS snowflake with gold infix and gold hands. I don’t see it on the Seiko website but I can have it BNIB from an AD For $4900 after discount
Thoughts on that price? Should I expect more discount for a GS?
Thank you!
Old 1 February 2019, 12:37 AM   #16
Txkill
"TRF" Member

Watch: Lots
Quote:
I’m liking the SS snowflake with gold infix and gold hands. I don’t see it on the Seiko website but I can have it BNIB from an AD For $4900 after discount
Thank you!
That sounds like a fair price. I love that reference too!!
Txkill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 February 2019, 01:06 AM   #17
asiparks
"TRF" Member

Watch: ing the Detectives
That seems a decent price, for comparison the regular snowflake was on DavidSW's site for $5095 and Watchbox for $5950, though I'm guessing they think "Seiko" at the top of the dial is worth and extra $1k.....
Old 1 February 2019, 01:43 AM   #18
pickettt
"TRF" Member

Watch: Shiny One
I think part of the genius of spring drive is that it’s generating its own current to operate its regulator. Thinking waaaaaay outside of the box.
pickettt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 February 2019, 02:11 AM   #19
Kinnakeet
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Thank you!
I’ve seen that watch at my AD; it’s gorgeous. I read that the gold snowflake was intended for the JDM, and the silver one for international.
Old 1 February 2019, 02:15 AM   #20
pickettt
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kinnakeet View Post
I’ve seen that watch at my AD; it’s gorgeous. I read that the gold snowflake was intended for the JDM, and the silver one for international.
I’ve seen it in person, in Japan, and it is an awesome piece. Gold just isn’t the color for me, even if it is just the hands.
Old 1 February 2019, 02:21 AM   #21
daveathall
"TRF" Member

Watch: Various
Quote:
Yes, I saw it the other day at an AD and was told exactly the same thing, it is gorgeous, I prefer the silver hands though.

DAVE

daveathall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 February 2019, 02:22 AM   #22
Kinnakeet
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pickettt View Post
I’ve seen it in person, in Japan, and it is an awesome piece. Gold just isn’t the color for me, even if it is just the hands.
Personally I agree with you. I have the silver snowflake and the overall effect is one of ice cold pristine untouched snow . What the designers intended the snowflake to be I think.
Old 1 February 2019, 02:24 AM   #23
pickettt
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Personally I agree with you. I have the silver snowflake and the overall effect is one of ice cold pristine untouched snow . What the designers intended the snowflake to be I think.
C693D5E1-2429-429B-AB25-A26C0763D6DB.jpeg

...and I don’t have any white shirts with gold stripes
Old 1 February 2019, 02:34 AM   #24
Kinnakeet
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pickettt View Post
Attachment 1016546

...and I don’t have any white shirts with gold stripes

Looks great on you!
And for me.... I’m living in snow at the moment!

Old 1 February 2019, 09:05 AM   #25
YMII
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Expat Beast View Post

Absolute consent!

I have both the SBGA387G (Spring Drive) and the SBGV005 (Quartz). The quartz model has the same phenomenal case finish and the fantastic Grand Seiko signature 44GS case. The autonomous gait deviation is in reality usually less than 5 seconds per year. GS quartz movements are comparable in my opinion of the quality with no other quartz movement.
My tip, take a look at the SBGV239!
YMII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 February 2019, 03:40 PM   #26
Brny11
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Hello friends

Owned a spring drive and currently own a hi-beat. Both are mesmerizing. The spring drive is so cool to own. That sweeping hand is truly unique (in the best of ways). It is proprietary to Seiko, so definitely at the heart of the brand. All movements are interesting, even down to the quartz. Do some research on their quartz movements and it will make you want to own one. I’d also argue that GS makes the best Hi-beat in the world. Maybe the Zenith is more iconic, but no way better (not hackable).

The only draw back with GS is the finishing is very easy to scratch up which severely hurts resale as it is not easy to refinish.

To your original questions...

1 and 2: I’d urge people new to GS to try the spring drive (the more you read and admire it, the more it will grow on you). If not, look into a hi-beat or quartz. Not sure why, but their basic Auto movements do absolutely nothing for me.

3. Only original dial snowflake has okay value retention to my knowledge. Like most other brands other then Rolex, expect to take a sizable hit if you wanted to flip.

Brny11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 February 2019, 04:15 PM   #27
GB-man
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: addiction issues
Just get one doesn’t matter. The dial side is so good they could put Oreo cookies in the caseback and I’d still buy one
Old 15 February 2019, 07:33 PM   #28
MTBer
"TRF" Member

In case you haven't seen it already, here's a nice video from youtube explaining the Spring Drive mechanism-

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HoEorK6elZM

To me, it's like replacing the SA node with an upgraded pacemaker, but one that is still powered by the body. While it's no longer a purely mechanical movement (or, biological, in this analogy), it's still entirely self-sufficient as opposed to a battery powered quartz, or, going back to the bio analog, CPB
MTBer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 February 2019, 10:16 PM   #29
tom2517
"TRF" Member

Get the spring drive, it’s Seiko’s flagship movement and they have said so themselves.

Other movement are also nice but SD is unique.

As for value retention, get GS on a good discount and you won’t lose too much if you try to sell it, but right now as an investment it is not.
tom2517 is offline   Reply With Quote