The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 19 February 2019, 04:19 PM   #1
Prestige_Swiss
"TRF" Member

Watch: 126610LN
Thinking of moving on for now...thoughts welcome and appreciated

Hello TRF, I hope that you are all having a great beginning of the week. I currently have a one main watch rotation which consist of my Sub 16610, that is besides using my SKX009 which I wear from time to time. The reason I am writing today is because I previously had a larger collection and I moved all but one of those pieces at the end of 2017 to help some family that was affected by hurricane Maria who lost their homes. Long story short, I decided that my SS Sub would be a great all around daily and main piece to have in a one main watch situation.

Fast forward a couple of years later and I do miss having a TT watch as I do like to wear gold. My wife recently mentioned that she wanted us to get matching DJ which I thought was a cool idea as she previously did not really have any interest in watches. This will be something we look into doing in a few months or so and I was thinking of moving the Sub to fund a TT DJ model with white roman or silver dial and specifically the 116233 reference as I really like the jubilee with hidden clasp and the solid center links. I tried the DJ41 and although it was quite nice, I definitely like the classic 36mm case size on that DJ reference. Also, the DJ41 doesn't come in white roman which is something I wish was available. My wife will be getting a 26mm or 28mm model depending on what we come across at the time of purchase with TT Jubilee and matching dial as mine. Although those sizes are considered too small by some folks today, my wife loves how it looks and I definitely want her to have a piece she will actually want to wear.

Thoughts on this...
With the current sport model climate being the way that it is, the only thing on my mind is thinking that the price on SS sport models will continue to rise. I don't mention this because I want to necessarily make more money on a watch but rather on the scenario where I might want to buy a SS Sub again later and the price ends up being jacked up even more. In your opinion, is this a valid concern or should I just deal with it when the time comes down the road? Second, I do not really have any opposing arguments against the DJ 116233, however, I'd love to hear your thoughts on such a move from the Sub to the DJ and if you have a DJ 116233 on white roman and/or silver dial, some wrist shots would be extremely appreciated. When I mentioned thoughts on such a move, I do not mean wrist feel as my first Rolex was a 1601 pie pan dial model and I am aware of the size difference.

Thank you for your time.
Prestige_Swiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 February 2019, 05:04 PM   #2
Stevec14
"TRF" Member

Watch: 321, Snoopy 3
Firstly, that was a nice thing you did back in 2017. Secondly, I wouldn’t worry about the price, as long as it is what you want to do. There will always be subs around, and yes the price may go up a little bit not hugely like some of the hot models.

Given your wife is showing an interest, it would be a nice move for you both to have watches that are similar.

If you can keep the sub too, great. If not then assuming you want to, go for it. They are just watches and we can always go back.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Stevec14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 February 2019, 05:43 PM   #3
jimcameron
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16800
Any aquatic activities can be covered just as well by your Seiko. I think your idea of funding the double DJ purchase in part with the Sub is a good idea. I own a 16800 and a DJ36ss and the DJ is a more comfortable watch, with exceptional capabilities. With a 100meter waterproof oyster case any DJ can handle aquatic activities down to 100m, far deeper than any recreational diving. There are many great reasons the DJ is the backbone of Rolex. Enjoy.
jimcameron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 February 2019, 10:22 PM   #4
THC
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: 16610M
huge kudos to you for your 2017 generosity to family in need. That right there is what life is all about.

You will love a DJ in any version..
THC is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 19 February 2019, 10:27 PM   #5
brandrea
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: es make me smile
Great of you to help out your family, karma indeed.

Personally I’d try to add if at all possible. Unless you Have totally lost interest in the Submariner, I think you’d miss it after a bit
brandrea is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 20 February 2019, 02:27 AM   #6
Prestige_Swiss
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stevec14 View Post
Firstly, that was a nice thing you did back in 2017. Secondly, I wouldn’t worry about the price, as long as it is what you want to do. There will always be subs around, and yes the price may go up a little bit not hugely like some of the hot models.

Given your wife is showing an interest, it would be a nice move for you both to have watches that are similar.

If you can keep the sub too, great. If not then assuming you want to, go for it. They are just watches and we can always go back.

Very well said my friend. Thank you so much

Old 20 February 2019, 02:28 AM   #7
Prestige_Swiss
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimcameron View Post
Any aquatic activities can be covered just as well by your Seiko. I think your idea of funding the double DJ purchase in part with the Sub is a good idea. I own a 16800 and a DJ36ss and the DJ is a more comfortable watch, with exceptional capabilities. With a 100meter waterproof oyster case any DJ can handle aquatic activities down to 100m, far deeper than any recreational diving. There are many great reasons the DJ is the backbone of Rolex. Enjoy.

Thank you

Old 20 February 2019, 02:28 AM   #8
Prestige_Swiss
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by THC View Post
huge kudos to you for your 2017 generosity to family in need. That right there is what life is all about.

You will love a DJ in any version..

Very much appreciated.

Old 20 February 2019, 02:31 AM   #9
Prestige_Swiss
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by brandrea View Post
Great of you to help out your family, karma indeed.

Personally I’d try to add if at all possible. Unless you Have totally lost interest in the Submariner, I think you’d miss it after a bit

Missing it could be true down the road. I think I will take the opportunity and take advantage that this idea came from my wife and add a Sub back into the fold down the line. Thanks for the input. Greatly appreciated

Old 20 February 2019, 03:12 AM   #10
SS Oyster
"TRF" Member

You will regret ever selling your final SS sports model, the sub. Keep it if you can.

As for DJ, TT will be the easiest to acquire. I would recommend 41 for you and 36 for your wife. I would not get completely matching models.

SS Oyster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 February 2019, 04:00 AM   #11
HogwldFLTR
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: What's on my wrist
Losing something you like to gain something you love isn't a large loss. If having matching watches with your wife is a major goal then don't worry about loss of the Sub. Congratulations on your selflessness in helping a family in need!! I hope that gesture is appreciated. I know I appreciate it. On the other hand if you can manage to keep the sub then that's would be good. Don't sacrifice for the sake of it if it isn't necessary.

https://www.rolexforums.com/showthread.php?t=808599
HogwldFLTR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 February 2019, 04:09 AM   #12
dafuture
"TRF" Member

I think that's a fantastic move. The Sub is a great watch, but they'll always be available. You may end up having to pay a premium down the road, but you may also find you just don't need the Sub back.

Having something like this you can share with your wife is much more special than the premium you may end up paying later.
Old 20 February 2019, 04:52 AM   #13
Prestige_Swiss
"TRF" Member

As far as size, I tried on the 41 and I have a smaller wrist and I did not like the look of the 41 on me as it was a bit much for what I’m going for. It looks great but that larger fluted bezel really shines. My wife and I went to the ad yesterday to try on the various sizes because initially the plan was 41 for me and 36 for her. After seeing them on wrist, we decided on 36 and 26.

I do agree that both models will always be available. We will most likely not have the same exact dial. As far as the family subject, as some of you have mentioned and my thought process is similar, watches can always be replaced. I learned a lot in that time, seeing people going through so much and just being grateful and helping each other out with what they had. I know that the aftermath was on the news and honestly, in the past when I would see these types of situations, I would just think to keep those affected in my prayers and just carry on. It wasn’t until it really hit home that I actually heard the different struggles that people faced and the level of uncertainty of what was to come. Most important part above all this is that my family is doing fine. We helped relocate 2 families from Puerto Rico to the US and they are doing well and the folks back on the island are also doing well.

Anyone with any wrist shots of a white Roman 116233? Or the silver bar dial?

Old 20 February 2019, 04:58 AM   #14
AndyK
"TRF" Member

Watch: 216570
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prestige_Swiss View Post
I don't mention this because I want to necessarily make more money on a watch but rather on the scenario where I might want to buy a SS Sub again later and the price ends up being jacked up even more. In your opinion, is this a valid concern or should I just deal with it when the time comes down the road?
Good on you for helping your family when needed. As to your question, yes it is a valid concern, but life is short so I recommend not worrying about or speculation on the future prices. Do what you want now and deal with it if/when the time comes.
AndyK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 February 2019, 05:03 AM   #15
mjclark32
"TRF" Member

Watch: IWC, Rolex, AP
Thinking of moving on for now...thoughts welcome and appreciated

If you can wear your 16610 you can handle the DJ41, but if you like the 36 better go for it.

My current duo is 16610 and DJ41, blue dial smooth bezel and jubilee (way less flash than fluted bezel).

Even so, I reach for the sub 95% of the time. I wouldn't be able to sell off the sub for a DJ... I do like the husband/wife part.

Any way you can add the DJ vs selling off the sub?
My wife's 36 on the left, my 41 on the right. sub below
Old 20 February 2019, 05:10 AM   #16
Prestige_Swiss
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjclark32 View Post
If you can wear your 16610 you can handle the DJ41, but if you like the 36 better go for it.

My current duo is 16610 and DJ41, blue dial smooth bezel and jubilee (way less flash than fluted bezel).

Even so, I reach for the sub 95% of the time. I wouldn't be able to sell off the sub for a DJ... I do like the husband/wife part.

Any way you can add the DJ vs selling off the sub?

My wife's 36 on the left, my 41 on the right. sub below

A few years back I would’ve just added the DJ. We recently had our first child and he is 4 months old now and I would just prefer to use the Sub to fund one of the watches. Besides doing the wife part, another big factor is that I like to wear gold and the TT DJ would help with that as well.

Thanks for the photos. Great watches.

Old 20 February 2019, 05:13 AM   #17
mjclark32
"TRF" Member

Watch: IWC, Rolex, AP
Quote:
A few years back I would’ve just added the DJ. We recently had our first child and he is 4 months old now and I would just prefer to use the Sub to fund one of the watches. Besides doing the wife part, another big factor is that I like to wear gold and the TT DJ would help with that as well.

Thanks for the photos. Great watches.

I hear that my daughter is 15 months now and the bills don't stop
Good luck with the decisions
Old 20 February 2019, 07:10 AM   #18
Prestige_Swiss
"TRF" Member

Thanks

Old 20 February 2019, 08:07 AM   #19
oldman2005
"TRF" Member

Family comes first, if a DJ makes your wife happy then just do it. Afterall these are just materials. Good luck!
oldman2005 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 February 2019, 10:29 AM   #20
edyu
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Does your wife only want the DJ if and only if you get the matching DJ or would she be ok with you wearing your sub and she wears the DJ? I mean in way they match because both have a date, right?
Are we talking about financial situation (as using the fund from 16610 to fund the watch purchase) or a preference thing (matching DJ)?

I applaud your gesture for helping family so just wondering whether you can make it work financially without having to sell your Sub since you mentioned that you "may" want to reacquire it.

If there is minimal sentimental value attached to the sub then yes just get the 2 DJs.

Quote:
Hello TRF, I hope that you are all having a great beginning of the week. I currently have a one main watch rotation which consist of my Sub 16610, that is besides using my SKX009 which I wear from time to time. The reason I am writing today is because I previously had a larger collection and I moved all but one of those pieces at the end of 2017 to help some family that was affected by hurricane Maria who lost their homes. Long story short, I decided that my SS Sub would be a great all around daily and main piece to have in a one main watch situation.

Fast forward a couple of years later and I do miss having a TT watch as I do like to wear gold. My wife recently mentioned that she wanted us to get matching DJ which I thought was a cool idea as she previously did not really have any interest in watches. This will be something we look into doing in a few months or so and I was thinking of moving the Sub to fund a TT DJ model with white roman or silver dial and specifically the 116233 reference as I really like the jubilee with hidden clasp and the solid center links. I tried the DJ41 and although it was quite nice, I definitely like the classic 36mm case size on that DJ reference. Also, the DJ41 doesn't come in white roman which is something I wish was available. My wife will be getting a 26mm or 28mm model depending on what we come across at the time of purchase with TT Jubilee and matching dial as mine. Although those sizes are considered too small by some folks today, my wife loves how it looks and I definitely want her to have a piece she will actually want to wear.

Thoughts on this...
With the current sport model climate being the way that it is, the only thing on my mind is thinking that the price on SS sport models will continue to rise. I don't mention this because I want to necessarily make more money on a watch but rather on the scenario where I might want to buy a SS Sub again later and the price ends up being jacked up even more. In your opinion, is this a valid concern or should I just deal with it when the time comes down the road? Second, I do not really have any opposing arguments against the DJ 116233, however, I'd love to hear your thoughts on such a move from the Sub to the DJ and if you have a DJ 116233 on white roman and/or silver dial, some wrist shots would be extremely appreciated. When I mentioned thoughts on such a move, I do not mean wrist feel as my first Rolex was a 1601 pie pan dial model and I am aware of the size difference.

Thank you for your time.
edyu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 February 2019, 12:56 PM   #21
Prestige_Swiss
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by edyu View Post
Does your wife only want the DJ if and only if you get the matching DJ or would she be ok with you wearing your sub and she wears the DJ? I mean in way they match because both have a date, right?

Are we talking about financial situation (as using the fund from 16610 to fund the watch purchase) or a preference thing (matching DJ)?

I applaud your gesture for helping family so just wondering whether you can make it work financially without having to sell your Sub since you mentioned that you "may" want to reacquire it.

If there is minimal sentimental value attached to the sub then yes just get the 2 DJs.

She likes the DJ regardless and as far as sentimental value with the sub, there isn’t any. I know I can get one later in the future. I do plan on using the 16610 to fund the DJ. I mentioned to someone earlier that we have a 4month old son and I rather just use what I have to fund one of the DJs. Also looking to wear something with gold on it as I like wearing gold and haven’t lately with the SS being my primary.

Old 20 February 2019, 01:55 PM   #22
DJJon
"TRF" Member

Watch: DJ - Need Sub Bad
Though mine is champagne I cannot think of any watch that is more comfortable. And I have owned 100s of watches.

The Super Jubilee is butter on the wrist and the hidden clasp is signature Rolex.

One thing to consider with the Datejust: Do you go for a model with lume on the hands, or not. I strongly prefer the lumed hand set but to each his own.

Good luck.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Resting Cloth Pic.jpg (92.0 KB, 677 views)
DJJon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 February 2019, 02:01 PM   #23
Prestige_Swiss
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJJon View Post
Though mine is champagne I cannot think of any watch that is more comfortable. And I have owned 100s of watches.

The Super Jubilee is butter on the wrist and the hidden clasp is signature Rolex.

One thing to consider with the Datejust: Do you go for a model with lume on the hands, or not. I strongly prefer the lumed hand set but to each his own.

Good luck.

Thank you for the photo. Beautiful piece. I love the white Roman but as I have been looking, it looks like the silver bar dial might be the one that wins. Looks like if I go that route, I’ll have lume.

Old 21 February 2019, 12:10 AM   #24
watchwatcher
"TRF" Member

Watch: Yes
Quote:

Thoughts on this...
With the current sport model climate being the way that it is, the only thing on my mind is thinking that the price on SS sport models will continue to rise. I don't mention this because I want to necessarily make more money on a watch but rather on the scenario where I might want to buy a SS Sub again later and the price ends up being jacked up even more. In your opinion, is this a valid concern or should I just deal with it when the time comes down the road?
Oh, I definitely think it's a valid concern. IMO, I wouldn't let that sub go. There is no telling what you might have to pay down the road. My two cents.
watchwatcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 February 2019, 02:29 AM   #25
Brianp
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Also, the DJ41 doesn't come in white roman which is something I wish was available.
If you feel this way, why not wait until Basel and see what new dial combinations are released for the DJ41? I really wouldn't be surprised if this was one of the new options.
Brianp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 February 2019, 04:05 PM   #26
Prestige_Swiss
"TRF" Member

Update!!

Decided on the silver stick dial. Here are some shots.

Old 23 February 2019, 08:04 PM   #27
Swaye
"TRF" Member

Watch: What I am wearing.
Really nice watch! Congrats!
Swaye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 March 2019, 02:55 PM   #28
DJJon
"TRF" Member

Watch: DJ - Need Sub Bad
Quote:
Update!!

Decided on the silver stick dial. Here are some shots.

Gorgeous Choice - well played sir.
DJJon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 March 2019, 07:04 PM   #29
SkyJuice
"TRF" Member

Sweet choice!
SkyJuice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 March 2019, 08:15 PM   #30
Canbs
"TRF" Member

Great choice. You get Roman numerals too in a way, on the minutes track. Congratulations!
Canbs is offline   Reply With Quote