The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 5 December 2018, 09:39 AM   #1
jlknights61
"TRF" Member

OP 39 white dial or Moonwatch

So TRF, I know this is probably an unusual comparison, but let me explain myself. Currently my only watch is a Tag Heuer Carrera Calibre 5 day-date with a Blue dial. I have been contemplating purchasing a SMP hesalite caliber .005 for quite some time as my next luxury watch. I love the SMP and it’s storied history, but happened to stroll into my neighborhood Rolex AD and beheld the new white dial 39mm Oyster perpetual. The white dial is really something that must be seen to understand, it has the warmth and depth of ivory while simultaneously the burst of silver. As you can tell I was quite taken with the new OP, so alas we arrive here at TRF. What would the collective minds here do in this predicament? Should I go with history and my original selection of the SMP, or take the stunning new OP home? Everyone says a SMP should exist in all collections (if you can call what will become my two watch stable this), and it will certainly save me money. But will I always have the lingering thought of “I could have had the Rolex” in my mind. Ultimately, in time, they may both end up finding their way home with me, but only one can in the foreseeable future. At that I turn it over to you, and I appreciate anyone’s time and thought, especially those who may own one or both of these watches.

Thanks
jlknights61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 December 2018, 10:26 AM   #2
jimcarver
"TRF" Member

Difficult to say, personally I think the Moonwatch is the far better looking watch out of the 2 and a chrono will provide much more diversity in your collection.
...however its not a Rolex. If you really want a Rolex the Moonwatch probably wont scratch the itch. That said is the OP 39 the Rolex you really want or the one that fits into your price bracket it at the moment? If its the latter, get the Moonwatch and work towards a Rolex further down the line.
jimcarver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 December 2018, 10:48 AM   #3
AEC
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Idiot Savant
I'll share some thoughts about things I find appealing in each:

The Speedmaster Pro features a very intriguing blend of shapes and finishes. It's a bit elegant and very purposeful at the same time. The plastic crystal is charming, and legibility is unmatched. It's comfy on its bracelet in warm weather, and it works beautifully on black alligator when you feel like it.

The Oyster Perpetual also has a beautifully formed case with just the right blend of finishes. It's bracelet, in my opinion, is better than the Speedmaster's bracelet. For these reasons, I think it's fair to say the Rolex is more comfortable to wear than the Omega. It's not that the Omega isn't comfortable, but the 39mm OP is extraordinarily comfortable.

The Oyster Perpetual will gladly go for a swim, but it's generally agreed that the Speedmaster shouldn't be submerged.

The Rolex is guaranteed to be a superlative timekeeper. By luck of the draw, you may get a Speedmaster that doesn't gain or lose more than a couple of seconds per day. This probably isn't really important to most watch enthusiasts.

What would I do in your shoes? I would go with the Speedmaster Professional.

Have fun choosing!

AEC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 December 2018, 11:16 AM   #4
breitlings
Banned

Watch: Apple TV
GMT Master moonwatch ( jk, sort of). I like the OP unless you want a chrono.
breitlings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 December 2018, 11:22 AM   #5
Justinmg
"TRF" Member

Watch: PO
Both beautiful watches, but I’d go with the speedy given those two choices.

Does it do anything? It tells the time.
Justinmg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 December 2018, 11:26 AM   #6
Seaotter
"TRF" Member

Oyster Perpetual 39 !!!
Better waterproof & superior Oyster bracelet.

I like the new white dial 39mm Oyster perpetual.
The Art Of Omission, very COOL !

IMG_9149.jpeg
Seaotter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 December 2018, 01:33 PM   #7
Pauln
"TRF" Member

Watch: Explorer
If you have your eye on a Rolex, you’ll eventually buy the Rolex. You might as well get it over with. The white OP is a beautiful do everything watch. I think the speedy is a fantastic watch (I’m looking to buy one now, as I sold my first one to buy a Rolex.) but the water resistance is limited and it may look good with a suit in some situations, but not all. Get the Rolex and get the speedy down the road. I think the white op and speedy would be a killer duo.
Pauln is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 December 2018, 01:57 PM   #8
agsstructures
2024 Pledge Member

Moonwatch
agsstructures is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 December 2018, 02:03 PM   #9
teabags001
Banned

Watch: DD40, hulk, Dayton
OP 39 white dial or Moonwatch

Sell the tag and get both. I have the feeling your only looking at the OP because of price point. Yes it’s a Rolex but most consider it the entry level Rolex. My advice would be to look at all the Rolex lines before deciding. I would personally go for a DJ over a OP and when configured with the smooth bezel and oyster I don’t think it’s all that much more and you get a date function! And 70 hr power reserve.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
teabags001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 December 2018, 02:34 PM   #10
denmanproject
"TRF" Member

OP

denmanproject is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 December 2018, 02:47 PM   #11
dubins930
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by breitlings View Post
GMT Master moonwatch ( jk, sort of). I like the OP unless you want a chrono.

I do really like the 34mm OP but it felt small.. I would get the speedy in this case
dubins930 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 December 2018, 02:54 PM   #12
imgook
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116500LN White
OP 39 all the way!!
imgook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 December 2018, 02:57 PM   #13
jeffnnj
"TRF" Member

Speedy is one of my fav watches, period.
jeffnnj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 December 2018, 02:58 PM   #14
brandrea
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: es make me smile
Welcome to the forum

One must sing to you
brandrea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 December 2018, 03:29 PM   #15
ludetuner
"TRF" Member

I have both and while the Speedmaster is truly an iconic watch, I’d have to give the nod to the OP. The white dial is just something else in the flesh.
ludetuner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 December 2018, 03:35 PM   #16
HogwldFLTR
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: What's on my wrist
I agree that the Speedo is an icon, an icon that leaks like a sieve. Not for me; you'd think a watch named after a swimsuit would be able to go in the water.

https://www.rolexforums.com/showthread.php?t=808599
HogwldFLTR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 December 2018, 03:48 PM   #17
LuminousMaximus
"TRF" Member

Watch: me hit Huge Lotto
Quote:
Originally Posted by AEC View Post
I'll share some thoughts about things I find appealing in each:

The Speedmaster Pro features a very intriguing blend of shapes and finishes. It's a bit elegant and very purposeful at the same time. The plastic crystal is charming, and legibility is unmatched. It's comfy on its bracelet in warm weather, and it works beautifully on black alligator when you feel like it.

The Oyster Perpetual also has a beautifully formed case with just the right blend of finishes. It's bracelet, in my opinion, is better than the Speedmaster's bracelet. For these reasons, I think it's fair to say the Rolex is more comfortable to wear than the Omega. It's not that the Omega isn't comfortable, but the 39mm OP is extraordinarily comfortable.

The Oyster Perpetual will gladly go for a swim, but it's generally agreed that the Speedmaster shouldn't be submerged.

The Rolex is guaranteed to be a superlative timekeeper. By luck of the draw, you may get a Speedmaster that doesn't gain or lose more than a couple of seconds per day. This probably isn't really important to most watch enthusiasts.

What would I do in your shoes? I would go with the Speedmaster Professional.

Have fun choosing!

+1

To really lives means to live your life to the fullest. It means to chase your dreams, take risks, and to love life.
Since everyone’s fate is the same, why not live the best life that you possibly can? In order to really live,you must seize the day.
Live each day as if it's your last and overall just do it! Today is a gift, that’s why it’s called the present...
LuminousMaximus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 December 2018, 03:57 PM   #18
asiparks
"TRF" Member

Watch: ing the Detectives
Everyone needs a Speedy in their collection because the watch forums say so ? Who cares, buy the one that YOU like the look of best.

That said, Speedy.
If you found the white OP dial entrancing, get a look at the GS Snowflake.
Old 5 December 2018, 04:04 PM   #19
HogwldFLTR
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: What's on my wrist
Quote:
Originally Posted by asiparks View Post
Everyone needs a Speedy in their collection because the watch forums say so ? Who cares, buy the one that YOU like the look of best.

That said, Speedy.
If you found the white OP dial entrancing, get a look at the GS Snowflake.
What is it with the GS break-off; just insane to me. Nice looking but they just don't grab me. I'd much rather have a Rolex.

https://www.rolexforums.com/showthread.php?t=808599
HogwldFLTR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 December 2018, 04:09 PM   #20
Cru Jones
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by brandrea View Post
Welcome to the forum

One must sing to you

Exactly this.

Personally, I’d take some time to think about it. It seems like you need convincing on the Speedy and have become recently infatuated with the OP. Neither feeling is usually a good basis upon which to buy a watch right now.

Personally, I’d go for the Speedy, as I love the history, the great flexibility with straps, the manual wind, the hesalite and the function.

As for “Rolex”, I’d go for the one I really want and dream of, not the one I recently discovered and think I can afford at this time.

YMMV!

Good luck and enjoy the hunt. :-)
Cru Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 December 2018, 04:18 PM   #21
asiparks
"TRF" Member

Watch: ing the Detectives
Quote:
Originally Posted by HogwldFLTR View Post
What is it with the GS break-off; just insane to me. Nice looking but they just don't grab me. I'd much rather have a Rolex.
Different strokes... I'd much rather have the watch that I find most attractive.
Side by side I find the Snowflake by far prettier than the OP, the fact that's it made by Seiko, not Rolex, wouldn't sway me away from purchase. The fine finishing and greater accuracy are just icing on the cake. There are other GS offerings I find absolutely ghastly.
Similarly, I don't get grabbed by Daytonas, but there are those that do
Old 5 December 2018, 04:24 PM   #22
vladamir15
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP, VC, Breguet
I’d look at which model you truly dream to own. Are you comparing the speedy to the OP just because of the price or actually desire to own. Look at all rolex models and pick which one sings to you the most. If its the OP, then go for it. If not, don’t.

Audemars, Vacheron, Breguet, Jaquet Droz, JLC, Rolex, Omega, Cartier
vladamir15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 December 2018, 04:31 PM   #23
Rocket launcher
Banned

Rolex OP everyday the moonwatch is a plastic.hand winding.non submersible...watch....
Your call
Rocket launcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 December 2018, 04:47 PM   #24
vritra
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlknights61 View Post
So TRF, I know this is probably an unusual comparison, but let me explain myself. Currently my only watch is a Tag Heuer Carrera Calibre 5 day-date with a Blue dial. I have been contemplating purchasing a SMP hesalite caliber .005 for quite some time as my next luxury watch. I love the SMP and it’s storied history, but happened to stroll into my neighborhood Rolex AD and beheld the new white dial 39mm Oyster perpetual. The white dial is really something that must be seen to understand, it has the warmth and depth of ivory while simultaneously the burst of silver. As you can tell I was quite taken with the new OP, so alas we arrive here at TRF. What would the collective minds here do in this predicament? Should I go with history and my original selection of the SMP, or take the stunning new OP home? Everyone says a SMP should exist in all collections (if you can call what will become my two watch stable this), and it will certainly save me money. But will I always have the lingering thought of “I could have had the Rolex” in my mind. Ultimately, in time, they may both end up finding their way home with me, but only one can in the foreseeable future. At that I turn it over to you, and I appreciate anyone’s time and thought, especially those who may own one or both of these watches.

Thanks
I have the Moonwatch, and had the OP 39. I'd suggest getting the Moonwatch - it's iconic, and if you're interested in the history and legacy, you'll have to get it sooner or later. Meanwhile, if you can't buy both at once, you can take some time think about whether the OP 39 will satisfy your Rolex itch, or whether you might want something a bit more iconic from Rolex as well - say the Submariner or the Datejust.

I recently had to make the same choice regarding the OP 39 - I absolutely love the watch, it's simple, pure and elegant. But I'll only have one Rolex, and I wanted something more representative of the brand. I traded my OP 39 in toward a Submariner Date.

I also want a white dial watch - I'll try to get the Grand Seiko Snowflake with next year's bonus =).
vritra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 December 2018, 05:10 PM   #25
jimcameron
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16800
The OP 39 is a do everything watch. It would be my choice.
jimcameron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 December 2018, 05:54 PM   #26
DP63
"TRF" Member

Watch: 18078
I think from your post that the OP has your heart and I fully understand how that white/silver combination makes it a stunning watch, I bought a DJ with smooth bezel and white dial, and it is a stunning watch in the flesh/metal .. photos do it absolutely no justice.

If the moon watch is purely because "everyone says you need one in a collection" then that seems to be your primary reason for getting one .... as I said earlier ... the OP definately sang to you, and at the end of the day, thats what owning a watch is all about for me personally. I go by the rule of 'buy the watch you want, not what everyone else wants you to want'.

If you simply must have the moon watch as well ... trade the Tag for it.
Old 5 December 2018, 06:00 PM   #27
mac_135
"TRF" Member

I was in a similar situation very recently. I'll start by saying last year I was ready to buy my first "nice" watch and had it narrowed down to a Rolex Submariner or the Omega Speedmaster (w/ hesalite). I ended up buying the Sub.

Fast forward one year and I'm ready for a new piece. I was set on adding the Speedmaster until I saw the new OP39 in white and it blew me away in person. Honestly, any talk about being entry level is irrelevant – What a great watch! So comfortable and the dial is like nothing else I've tried on. I had never even considered a white dial and now I can't stop thinking about it.

Because I had been planning to pick up a Speedmaster for so long, I ended up buying it on a black leather strap (one thing to note is there are no micro adjustments, so I could never get the right fit on the bracelet). I love it and have no regrets... BUT I still think about the OP39 all the time and it will be my next watch.

I'd say get the OP39 first. The Speedmaster will always be available, and as much as I love it and am happy to have it in my small collection, I wear the Submariner a bit more and feel the OP39 will take up even more time when I finally get it.

Either way, you will end up with a great watch. Here's a pic of the Speedy:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg thumbnail_IMG_1744.jpg (75.7 KB, 1047 views)
mac_135 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 December 2018, 06:10 PM   #28
praveen
"TRF" Member

Watch: OP 39 White
The OP 39 is really versatile and I'm loving it! Here are some pics to help you make the decision

praveen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 December 2018, 06:33 PM   #29
Sweetswisssteel
"TRF" Member

Watch: 126618LB
Always Rolex

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk
Sweetswisssteel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 December 2018, 06:44 PM   #30
Hamstur
"TRF" Member

Rolex. Never understood the Moonwatch. It's outdated & inaccurate, but serves as a gateway watch for someone getting into watches who doesn't want to spend more than 3500.
Hamstur is offline   Reply With Quote