The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

View Poll Results: is it worth it?
YES 62 43.66%
NO 80 56.34%
Voters: 142. You may not vote on this poll

Old 18 January 2019, 04:43 AM   #61
marcopolo05
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lord91 View Post
If you're even considering this trade, then the SS Daytona is not your grail, so go for it.
This.

I had to read the title 3 times to be sure what it meant.

If you are ready to trade your grail it doesn't qualify as a grail imho.

Envoyé de mon ONEPLUS A6003 en utilisant Tapatalk
marcopolo05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 January 2019, 04:50 AM   #62
LuminousMaximus
"TRF" Member

Watch: me hit Huge Lotto
I would NOT do it!

Umm wait a second, scratch that, I Already DID IT! Lol.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

To really lives means to live your life to the fullest. It means to chase your dreams, take risks, and to love life.
Since everyone’s fate is the same, why not live the best life that you possibly can? In order to really live,you must seize the day.
Live each day as if it's your last and overall just do it! Today is a gift, that’s why it’s called the present...
LuminousMaximus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 January 2019, 04:56 AM   #63
ap1
2024 Pledge Member

Pm is typically the answer. If they did C on beaver this year the numbers would change materially out of pocket.
ap1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 January 2019, 05:03 AM   #64
schoolboy
Banned

Watch: 116234
Quote:
Originally Posted by Otto View Post
Also, one has to wonder whether the PM bezels will continue to be made.
I agree with this

Since other members are talking about if the value of the watches will increase or decrease, we have to consider what you mentioned.

Say the PM models all receive ceramic bezels this Baselworld...

Then the value of the PM Daytonas with metal bezel MIGHT increase

schoolboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 January 2019, 05:34 AM   #65
November
"TRF" Member

As an owner of both the 116505 and 116500 (black dial), I much prefer the 500 to the 505 and haven’t worn the 505 more than 2-3x since receiving the 500 a couple years back. While we all have different preferences, there are a few points worth highlighting that could help with your decision.

Before getting into the highlights, I have a couple observations based on the OP:
1. Since you went grey to obtain the 500 and you mention that this was/is(?) your grail watch, I would assume you considered full PM at the time. Is there a reason you didn’t go PM when these were readily obtainable at ADs? I only ask out of curiosity to understand the evolution in your thinking around this.
2. Personally I would find this decision much more difficult if I purchased the 500 at retail since you have premium trade currency to apply to a 505. If your concern is more around the feeling that you overpaid for the 500, and you want to reallocate that capital to a PM Daytona to validate the cost, I would caution against this logic. The 500 is IMHO a huge value at MSRP and a reasonable value at current grey market levels; you’re getting one of the best, most proven, vertically integrated, in-house automatic chronographs in the world, all housed in one of the slimmest chrono cases on the market.

Some highlights worth nothing across the two similar, but VERY DIFFERENT references:
1. The Everose gold on the Daytona is not for everyone. It’s very red and often times gives off a Michael Korrs vibe.
2. The case of the 505 is substantially chunkier than the 500. I find the 500 to be way sleeker with much more fluid lines/curves. I can’t verify this, but I believe that PM models tend to have slightly more metal so that the watch can be polished a few times without losing it’s lines.
3. The 505 wears substantially smaller and is far less masculine on the wrist. While only an optical illusion, I believe this is compounded by two factors: 1) 505 has RG bezel which makes the black face look rather small, and 2) the sub-dials on the 505 are not fully filled with RG - there’s a “halo” around the sub-dials which effectively inverts the design of the 500. Both of these factors compound, and in my opinion draw too much attention to the the cluster in the middle of the dial and away from the iconic Daytona look.
3. While rolex everose seems to be slightly more resilient than traditional gold, there’s still significantly more soft metal exposed to dings/scratches which might affect your overall comfort wearing the watch on a daily basis.
4. There are times when PM presents a watch with greater balance/warmth on the wrist, but I consider the 500 to be the most balanced feeling watch I own. Personally, I find the 505 to feel clunky after wearing my 500, but I’m sure others would disagree.

I personally think this would be a regrettable trade but it really all depends on what’s driving your decision. It’s worth nothing that while there’s a substantial gap in MSRP of PM and SS Daytona, I would say it’s a hard gap to justify. The cost of gold in the Daytona is probably worth $5-6k max (plus it’s way easier to work with / less man hours involved in finishing) so unless you really want PM I wouldn’t let this trick you into feeling like you’re getting more value by trading SS for PM.

Cheers
November is offline   Reply With Quote