The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 22 February 2019, 09:05 PM   #1
Daveclock
"TRF" Member

Watch: ing and waiting!
Any Yachtmaster owners have you got a Yacht - or any other use for the timer?

Just a fun thought, as I am sure there are a few owners with matching Yachts, but what real life use have you used this function for?
Daveclock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 February 2019, 09:06 PM   #2
tyler1980
"TRF" Member

if i had a yacht i would probably wear an appropriately extravagantly priced watch. Not a YM
current collection: Patek 5164A, Patek 5524G, Rolex Platinum Daytona 116506, Rolex Sea Dweller 43 126600, Rolex GMT II 116710LN, AP 15400ST (silver), Panerai 913, Omega Speedmaster moonwatch, Tudor Black Bay (Harrods Edition)
tyler1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 February 2019, 09:10 PM   #3
Daveclock
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tyler1980 View Post
if i had a yacht i would probably wear an appropriately extravagantly priced watch. Not a YM
Tyler, glad to know - I guessed wrongly that you would have a Yacht for sure!
Old 22 February 2019, 09:12 PM   #4
tyler1980
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daveclock View Post
Tyler, glad to know - I guessed wrongly that you would have a Yacht for sure!
once i have a RM tourb ... then you will know
current collection: Patek 5164A, Patek 5524G, Rolex Platinum Daytona 116506, Rolex Sea Dweller 43 126600, Rolex GMT II 116710LN, AP 15400ST (silver), Panerai 913, Omega Speedmaster moonwatch, Tudor Black Bay (Harrods Edition)
Old 22 February 2019, 09:28 PM   #5
VicLeChic
Banned

Watch: YM 116622 - SD43
A yachtmaster is a license to drive boats, it's not a title of ownership of a boat.

The Rolex YM is not meant for yacht owners but for participants in a yacht race. The bi-directional bezel (YM) is supposed to assist with the tracking of elapsed time between buoys in a typical regatta. The 10 min countdown (YM II) helps with getting prepared for the start of the race. You don't own the yacht, just like a pilot doesn't own a formula 1.

Naming the watch Yacht-Master is perhaps confusing to most people, Yacht-Racer might have been a better name, IMHO.
VicLeChic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 February 2019, 09:51 PM   #6
AK797
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing ships roll in
I actually do have a yacht, but then I do have an awfully big bath.
AK797 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 February 2019, 09:53 PM   #7
Brew
"TRF" Member

My name is Elmer J. Fudd. I own a mansion and a Yacht-Master.
Brew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 February 2019, 10:02 PM   #8
Notto3055
"TRF" Member

Or anyone with a Submariner got a submarine ?
Notto3055 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 February 2019, 10:11 PM   #9
brandrea
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: es make me smile
Quote:
I think Archie Luxury made a quip about how most yacht owners wear Pateks, and when they fall overboard they have their servants rescue them

Carry on ....
brandrea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 February 2019, 10:15 PM   #10
HogwldFLTR
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: What's on my wrist
Submariner is someone who goes underwater; a submarine is a ship that goes underwater. The names are similar but not necessarily related (except in function). The YMII is in deed for Yacht racing and timing starts. The idea for a Yacht race start is to be the most windward at the starting line and be the first across as the race begins (when the horn sounds). The race begins at a given time so tactics on being in that position at the right time depend on being able to time yourself down to the second.

https://www.rolexforums.com/showthread.php?t=808599
HogwldFLTR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 February 2019, 10:18 PM   #11
Daveclock
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by VicLeChic View Post
A yachtmaster is a license to drive boats, it's not a title of ownership of a boat.

The Rolex YM is not meant for yacht owners but for participants in a yacht race. The bi-directional bezel (YM) is supposed to assist with the tracking of elapsed time between buoys in a typical regatta. The 10 min countdown (YM II) helps with getting prepared for the start of the race. You don't own the yacht, just like a pilot doesn't own a formula 1.

Naming the watch Yacht-Master is perhaps confusing to most people, Yacht-Racer might have been a better name, IMHO.
Thanks, but I did know what they were marketed for...

But it seems rather overkill to use as a boiled egg timer?
Old 22 February 2019, 11:24 PM   #12
VicLeChic
Banned

Watch: YM 116622 - SD43
Quote:
Thanks, but I did know what they were marketed for...

But it seems rather overkill to use as a boiled egg timer?
Oh I see, you are interested in how useful the countdown function is outside a yacht race or in other words how it could serve a purpose it was not originally intended for. Mmmm, not sure about that.
VicLeChic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 February 2019, 11:43 PM   #13
pickettt
"TRF" Member

Watch: Shiny One
Quote:
Originally Posted by HogwldFLTR View Post
Submariner is someone who goes underwater; a submarine is a ship that goes underwater. The names are similar but not necessarily related (except in function). The YMII is in deed for Yacht racing and timing starts. The idea for a Yacht race start is to be the most windward at the starting line and be the first across as the race begins (when the horn sounds). The race begins at a given time so tactics on being in that position at the right time depend on being able to time yourself down to the second.
I disagree, partly. The etymology of "submariner" dates back to the same time period the submarine was invented. A submariner is a submarine crew member. As for yachts.....I don't know shit about 'em, so you may be right. I did own a rickety old catamaran for a number of years, does that count?
pickettt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 February 2019, 11:43 PM   #14
Brew
"TRF" Member

“Yacht” is relative, no?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Brew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 February 2019, 12:06 AM   #15
tyler1980
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pickettt View Post
I disagree, partly. The etymology of "submariner" dates back to the same time period the submarine was invented. A submariner is a submarine crew member. As for yachts.....I don't know shit about 'em, so you may be right. I did own a rickety old catamaran for a number of years, does that count?
IMO it depends on how you say it... a Sub Mariner is a diver or someone who works below the water... sub/mariner said as two separate words with a pause. A submarine-er is someone who works inside a submarine where submarine is one word without a pause, which is the same way the boat they are on is said.
Old 23 February 2019, 12:41 AM   #16
pickettt
"TRF" Member

Quote:
IMO it depends on how you say it... a Sub Mariner is a diver or someone who works below the water... sub/mariner said as two separate words with a pause. A submarine-er is someone who works inside a submarine where submarine is one word without a pause, which is the same way the boat they are on is said.
I believe “sub” is a prefix, not a word (unless being used to truncate “submarine” and all variations of ). I’m not positive about that, it’s just my current understanding.
Old 23 February 2019, 12:53 AM   #17
Zakalwe
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Forgive the parochialism, but since you're an adopted Londoner I will point out that here, *nobody would ever say "Submarine-er" it would be "Sub - mariner" regardless of meaning.

*Really weird regional accents possibly excepted.
Old 23 February 2019, 01:56 AM   #18
r_mac
"TRF" Member

First post! Hi all,

I crew on a racing yacht, love watches and had been considering a YM2 for some time.

However, racing yachts aren't really the place to be wearing a £14k (GBP) watch - it would get smashed to pieces in no time. I work the bow and you can get really beaten up when the wind is strong or you're tacking/gybing quickly.

Most larger boats have a digital counter with an audible countdown for the last 10 seconds as you don't really want to be staring at your watch as a dozen yachts try and make the line at the same time.

On the other hand, the YM2 is a fantastic piece of engineering and the fact you can synchronise it with the start guns makes it pretty unique (apart from some of the purpose built digital watches for racing).

The (now discontinued) Tag Aquaracer has the same functionality but it's a quartz watch really so not in the same league as far as engineering goes as the YM2.

I'll buy a Yachtmaster for the clubhouse one day but I would prefer the everose gold on oysterflex.
r_mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 February 2019, 02:18 AM   #19
HogwldFLTR
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: What's on my wrist
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zakalwe View Post
Forgive the parochialism, but since you're an adopted Londoner I will point out that here, *nobody would ever say "Submarine-er" it would be "Sub - mariner" regardless of meaning.

*Really weird regional accents possibly excepted.
I'm from the US and would never say Sub Marine Err. Kind of like calling Samuel Taylor's poem, "The Rhyme of the Ancient Mariner," "The Rhyme of the Ancient Marine Err." Actually if you need the water resistance while in a submarine, you've got some problems. But to avoid issues I wear a Sea Dweller (or it that "Sea Dwell Ear").

https://www.rolexforums.com/showthread.php?t=808599
HogwldFLTR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 February 2019, 05:25 AM   #20
Dsmith1974
"TRF" Member

Watch: DD 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by pickettt View Post
Hmm, I’m not so sure. I think the first submarine was used in the American civil war (somewhat unsuccessfully against a Royal Navy man-o-war) and were pretty well advanced by WW1.

Wasn’t the Rolex Submariner produced in collaboration with Jacques Costuex when scuba diving (pressured air combined with a regulator) were first combined?
Dsmith1974 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 February 2019, 06:39 AM   #21
Daveclock
"TRF" Member

To be fair you could wear a non waterproof watch in the submarine (as you say it) because you plan to stay dry?
Old 23 February 2019, 06:47 AM   #22
AK797
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing ships roll in
And why isn't it spelt yot? One of the great mysteries of our time.
AK797 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 February 2019, 06:49 AM   #23
snowbone
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Notto3055 View Post
Or anyone with a Submariner got a submarine ?
i laughed
snowbone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 February 2019, 07:14 AM   #24
pickettt
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dsmith1974 View Post
Hmm, I’m not so sure. I think the first submarine was used in the American civil war (somewhat unsuccessfully against a Royal Navy man-o-war) and were pretty well advanced by WW1.

Wasn’t the Rolex Submariner produced in collaboration with Jacques Costuex when scuba diving (pressured air combined with a regulator) were first combined?
That’s what I’m saying. The term submariner was not used until the invention of the submarine, as you stated, during the American Civil War. I was responding to the comment that a submariner was merely someone who goes under water. People were going underwater before the submarine was invented but they weren’t called submariners at that time. I actually wasn’t saying anything about a Rolex Submariner at all.
Old 23 February 2019, 07:41 AM   #25
Paul_I
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dsmith1974 View Post

I would like to hear more about this Royal Navy Man-o-War that fought in the American Civil War.

To the point of the thread, I do wear my YM 40 for casual sailing in Norfolk and Lake Michigan. I have no need for a mechanical Regatta timer, however. The YMII has always seemed gimmicky, in my opinion. In contrast, a simple timing besel is useful for all kinds of things, nautical and everyday.

Paul_I is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 February 2019, 07:49 AM   #26
garbanzo
"TRF" Member

No, I don’t have a yacht, but I do have a pool - therefore, I have three divers (and thinking of obtaining a fourth one)
Old 23 February 2019, 07:55 AM   #27
Yoda_Eating_Pizza
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: Yes
Quote:
Originally Posted by r_mac View Post
First post! Hi all,

I crew on a racing yacht, love watches and had been considering a YM2 for some time.

However, racing yachts aren't really the place to be wearing a £14k (GBP) watch - it would get smashed to pieces in no time. I work the bow and you can get really beaten up when the wind is strong or you're tacking/gybing quickly.

Most larger boats have a digital counter with an audible countdown for the last 10 seconds as you don't really want to be staring at your watch as a dozen yachts try and make the line at the same time.

On the other hand, the YM2 is a fantastic piece of engineering and the fact you can synchronise it with the start guns makes it pretty unique (apart from some of the purpose built digital watches for racing).

The (now discontinued) Tag Aquaracer has the same functionality but it's a quartz watch really so not in the same league as far as engineering goes as the YM2.

I'll buy a Yachtmaster for the clubhouse one day but I would prefer the everose gold on oysterflex.
Very informative!

Sort of off topic (but in a similar vein), I've also wondered about the Daytona's usefulness to a racing driver. When I'm on the track, there's no way in hell I'm going to be fiddling with a wristwatch. Seems more useful a tool for the crew at the pit wall.
Yoda_Eating_Pizza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 February 2019, 08:02 AM   #28
RTG

Watch: Sky-Dweller
Quote:
Just a fun thought, as I am sure there are a few owners with matching Yachts, but what real life use have you used this function for?

Countdown complication is only limited by your imagination. So do you have an imagination? I have used the YMII for kids timeouts and 8 minute burger flips. Grill running hot? The flyback and flyforward of the countdown comes in damn handy.

No silly screw down pushers to delay activation. Works better than the Daytona to time the kids sprints. Larger display is easier to read and the larger red hands on white dial contrast a ton better than those tiny little daytona hands. (you know what they say about watches with tiny hands don't you?)

Daytona wins the hi-res photo wars 100% of the time but on the wrist the YMII is a much more useful chronograph. Now where is the mic drop emoji?
RTG is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 23 February 2019, 08:15 AM   #29
edyu

A yacht is really not that expensive. A superyacht is a completely different story. I can afford a yacht but cannot afford a superyacht yet (I believe the estimate is about $1M for every 3.3ft of superyacht).

As for timing, YM2 is probably one of the best timer for daily things as most things I need to time is less than 10 minutes. I do wish the timer can be an hour though.
edyu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 February 2019, 08:17 AM   #30
logo
"TRF" Member

I feel like it's more of a "buy it (in solid gold), and the yacht will come to you" type of deal. It would be crazy to buy the yacht before having the necessary equipment to handle it, including gold yachtmaster II and personal chef.
logo is offline   Reply With Quote