The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 23 February 2019, 06:25 AM   #1
rdizzle92
"TRF" Member

Does anyone else feel intimiated going to an AD?

I pass by a few Rolex AD's on my way to work every day and always contemplate popping in to chat with someone to see if they have the 114060 in stock (i have been pining for one a while now). 90% of the time or so, I would say the AD's are completely empty and the sales staff are just bored on their phones or pretending to look busy on their laptops.. Is it just me or do you feel that they will not treat you with professionalism and courtesy if you go in inquiring about the above watch (or any in demand watch currently) because they get asked so many times about it and the answer is always the same?

I've had a few experiences where they say something absurd like "sure I can put you on the wait list but its going to be a 2 year wait" "we need a 50-100% deposit and we are not guaranteeing delivery of your watch by x time" I understand the current market environment but after a few experiences like this I rather not bother at all to be honest..
rdizzle92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 February 2019, 07:00 AM   #2
dwjez14
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: All of them
My wife was until we went in last weekend by her and myself a watch. She spent some time getting to know my salespeople we had a good time chatting. If you really want to get one then you need to take the time to talk to the salesperson. Visit the AD close to you or within driving distance. Go in Head straight to the Rolex area and start up a convo. Just be straight with them and tell them you want the sub and can they order one. You are not looking for the hulk , Pepsi or Batman so I think you have a shot at getting one. If you don’t want to bother then get one from a TS on site save the tax and you don’t have to talk to anyone. David sw has a subdate dec 18 card for 9600 right now. I think that is just a little over what you will pay if you buy from store with tax ? You can have it by Monday and not step foot near a store !! To Answer another part of your question yes some do act stuck up and snooty. It’s unfortanfe but they do. My AD says over half the calls daily are asking about a stainless Rolex. They almost need a Rolex line and store line to help weed out calls.
dwjez14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 February 2019, 07:01 AM   #3
dwjez14
2024 Pledge Member

I just noticed you were from Vancouver. I don’t know if you would pay any extras fees buying from the U.S. or not ?
Old 23 February 2019, 07:13 AM   #4
Ian Macdermott
"TRF" Member

Watch: ing the detectives
No it's just a shop.
Old 23 February 2019, 07:14 AM   #5
Swashplate
"TRF" Member

Never. Because I know I can outsnob them.
Swashplate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 February 2019, 07:16 AM   #6
greywolf617
"TRF" Member

You want to buy something from them, they want to sell something to you. A match made in heaven.

If you get a different vibe from them, find somewhere else to go.
greywolf617 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 February 2019, 07:22 AM   #7
DPE
"TRF" Member

One day soon when there are No more new Rolex watches being supplied to the AD in time. They will not be able to earn the commission to cover their monthly wage. They will be outside the High Street door trying to get you to come in and buy any watch they have from stock. The tide will turn on them !
DPE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 February 2019, 07:23 AM   #8
STEELINOX
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ROLEX-less atm...
Never, I always say something to the effect that " I have arrived... " Please "bow to my spending power" as I fix my Centurion clumsily paper clipped to my Peter Frampton T Shirt, as I sashe across your sweat stained flooring marred of skid marks and unsure foot prints by weary watch shoppers...

*Positive Waves Baby*
Lug Hole Loyalist / Chamfer Line Inspector
INFORTHE WIN
STEELINOX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 February 2019, 07:24 AM   #9
STEELINOX
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ROLEX-less atm...
And when I leave, I say, "Chow, better luck next time" as I walk out purchasing nothing...

*Positive Waves Baby*
Lug Hole Loyalist / Chamfer Line Inspector
INFORTHE WIN
STEELINOX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 February 2019, 07:40 AM   #10
Swashplate
"TRF" Member

Well I usually arrive via piggyback ride on my manservant.
Swashplate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 February 2019, 07:40 AM   #11
TimeToWatch
Banned

Watch: Rolex & AP
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdizzle92 View Post
I pass by a few Rolex AD's on my way to work every day and always contemplate popping in to chat with someone to see if they have the 114060 in stock (i have been pining for one a while now). 90% of the time or so, I would say the AD's are completely empty and the sales staff are just bored on their phones or pretending to look busy on their laptops.. Is it just me or do you feel that they will not treat you with professionalism and courtesy if you go in inquiring about the above watch (or any in demand watch currently) because they get asked so many times about it and the answer is always the same?

I've had a few experiences where they say something absurd like "sure I can put you on the wait list but its going to be a 2 year wait" "we need a 50-100% deposit and we are not guaranteeing delivery of your watch by x time" I understand the current market environment but after a few experiences like this I rather not bother at all to be honest..
To be honest, I'd just avoid visiting ADs for this watch and buy it on the grey market. If you truly love it, the 1-2k premium will be shortly forgotten and you'll avoid a lot of headaches chasing down ADs. Alternatively, go the the Rolex website and start dialing every AD within 100 miles...you never know.
TimeToWatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 February 2019, 07:45 AM   #12
yessir69
2024 Pledge Member

No.
yessir69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 February 2019, 07:46 AM   #13
dtwer
"TRF" Member

Watch: DJ 41
Quote:

Out of curiosity, what are you intimidated by? The answer of "no we don't have any now," the wait list, the deposit request, or simply how to start a conversation with the staff?

I actually doubt a no date sub is that hard to source; not exactly the hottest on the crazy list these days imo.
dtwer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 February 2019, 07:57 AM   #14
emtee
"TRF" Member

When I first got into watches I actually did. I believe the term is the imposter syndrome. However over the years since I’ve bought and sold a few watches it feels much more normal to me, no different to walking into a nice clothes shop for example.

I think it really helps if you already have a nice watch, whenever I ask to try something on and place my BLNR on the table I definitely notice a difference and you can feel a certain respect. Sad but true but usually it’s a positive comment that leads to a nice discussion about watches.

At the end of the day it’s their job to make you feel welcome and comfortable and buying luxury goods is supposed to be a pleasant experience after all.

Don’t sweat it
emtee is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 23 February 2019, 07:59 AM   #15
rdizzle92
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dtwer View Post
Out of curiosity, what are you intimidated by? The answer of "no we don't have any now," the wait list, the deposit request, or simply how to start a conversation with the staff?

I actually doubt a no date sub is that hard to source; not exactly the hottest on the crazy list these days imo.

Yeah, generally, how to converse with the staff and ask for this watch, seems like they don't want to sell it to me because they think im a flipper or they are in a loss situation because they go for over msrp in the grey market, so they want to hold on to it and give it to someone who buys non SS watches from them. Just dont like feeling sized up by them and put in a bad position because they talk as if I should know better that they won't have the watch.
rdizzle92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 February 2019, 08:05 AM   #16
sensui
2024 Pledge Member

I don't since there's nothing I'm looking for.....but I would think one would be if they're wanting to ask about a stainless sports model in the current environment. It's a shame.
sensui is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 February 2019, 08:09 AM   #17
DoDe
"TRF" Member

Do not give them the power to intimitate you.
DoDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 February 2019, 08:11 AM   #18
Andrejb
2024 Pledge Member

Usually yes because I’m tattooed head to toe and every new AD thinks I’m a criminal lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Andrejb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 February 2019, 08:13 AM   #19
edyu
2024 Pledge Member

I always visited ADs when I travel and not once do I feel intimidated but I sometimes won't bother talking with the SAs if they don't even have PM professional models. Most Rolex SD I met are somewhat courteous so I really don't mind asking them about how things are going etc.
Actually I think "sure I can put you on the wait list but its going to be a 2 year wait" is very truthful and I don't find that ridiculous.

Quote:

edyu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 February 2019, 08:14 AM   #20
Harry-57
2024 Pledge Member

Never. If my AD made me feel like that, I would find another one.

Being a multi brand retailer, they are never bored. They are always selling something. Or fielding telephone enquiries about out of stock Rolex models, from strangers who they will probably never hear from again.
Harry-57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 February 2019, 08:18 AM   #21
lamnyc
"TRF" Member

It’s usually the other way around for me.
lamnyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 February 2019, 08:20 AM   #22
Burlington
"TRF" Member

Remember the staff are there to help you out, not gang up against you.

― Winston S. Churchill
Burlington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 February 2019, 08:20 AM   #23
dtwer
"TRF" Member

Watch: DJ 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by emtee View Post
I think it really helps if you already have a nice watch, whenever I ask to try something on and place my BLNR on the table I definitely notice a difference and you can feel a certain respect.
This.

At every watch dealer I almost always get asked this question: "what do you wear now?" As soon as I get asked that question I show them the Rolex on my wrist. I almost always and instantly get the "we approve" look from the sales person.

To people who sell watches, they are naturally attuned to the watch they see on their customers and the value it carries. I don't find this to be either good or bad; just the way it is. Lacking too many things to assess you, people will assess you based on obvious things they see on you with which they can associate values.

Another way to "un-intimidate" yourself in front of the AD sales person is to showcase your knowledge about the watch. Be knowledgeable about the movement, the features, what is hot/what is not, the design, etc. It lets them know you are not an uninformed buyer with money; knowledge commands respect.
dtwer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 February 2019, 08:23 AM   #24
garbanzo
"TRF" Member

Nah, customer is always the king.
Old 23 February 2019, 08:31 AM   #25
codecow
"TRF" Member

Watch: PP 5131R
I sometimes wonder whether I should have champagne or bourbon.
codecow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 February 2019, 08:32 AM   #26
dwjez14
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swashplate View Post
Never. Because I know I can outsnob them.

Heck yeh !!!
Old 23 February 2019, 08:33 AM   #27
emtee
"TRF" Member

Icon14

Quote:
Originally Posted by dtwer View Post
This.

At every watch dealer I almost always get asked this question: "what do you wear now?" As soon as I get asked that question I show them the Rolex on my wrist. I almost always and instantly get the "we approve" look from the sales person.

To people who sell watches, they are naturally attuned to the watch they see on their customers and the value it carries. I don't find this to be either good or bad; just the way it is. Lacking too many things to assess you, people will assess you based on obvious things they see on you with which they can associate values.

Another way to "un-intimidate" yourself in front of the AD sales person is to showcase your knowledge about the watch. Be knowledgeable about the movement, the features, what is hot/what is not, the design, etc. It lets them know you are not an uninformed buyer with money; knowledge commands respect.
Like I said it’s sad but true. The funny thing is a lot of the most wealthy people don’t walk around wearing expensive clothes and watches because they just don’t care, they know they have nothing to prove. So it’s often a big mistake by sales people to judge one’s ability to purchase based purely on appearance.

For example I wear nice clothes because they make me feel good and I like that. But actually I buy 80% of my stuff on sale and buy like 1 nice watch maybe every 1-2 years so the chances of me walking in off the street and dropping 10K on a watch on a whim are pretty much zero.

I’m not in sales but I’ve always thought you should treat every person who walks through your door with the upmost respect as you never know who they are or what they’re capable of. And that’s how I treat people in general anyway
Old 23 February 2019, 08:33 AM   #28
Dean88
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DPE View Post
One day soon when there are No more new Rolex watches being supplied to the AD in time. They will not be able to earn the commission to cover their monthly wage. They will be outside the High Street door trying to get you to come in and buy any watch they have from stock. The tide will turn on them !
Can't wait
Dean88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 February 2019, 08:37 AM   #29
emtee
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by codecow View Post
I sometimes wonder whether I should have champagne or bourbon.
Haha I always ask for beer so you can tell me level

The lovely people at Panerai Florence Boutique gave me a beer this weekend and I was just browsing. Beats being laughed at by a Rolex AD when asking for a SS sports watch!

However I am pulling the trigger on a Panerai in the next couple of months once I make my mind up!
Old 23 February 2019, 08:50 AM   #30
greywolf617
"TRF" Member

I think some of the perceived attitude is fear of swarming the customer, the product sells itself, the sales rep is there to unlock the display case and take the customer’s payment, perhaps occasionally resolve a complaint/service issue. Fashion jewelry and fine jewelry is a totally different story.

Be honest, how many of us have bought a watch on persuasion from the sales rep?
greywolf617 is offline   Reply With Quote