The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Old 23 February 2019, 07:47 PM   #1
JonaG
"TRF" Member

Watch: ...
An independent service pricier than RSC?

Was in a large electronics store today, probably familiar to some of you,
Bic Camera. I was looking around their watch department and saw the price list for a Rolex オーバーホール (Overhaul) at ¥80,000~ ($720). I would swear that a couple of months back it was just over half that. For RSC to service my GMT-Master II, it costs ¥74,000 incl tax. I know which I would choose.
JonaG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 February 2019, 08:01 PM   #2
watchmaker
TechXpert

The UK RRP for a Modern GMT Master is £550, so based on exchange rates $720 or 80,000 Yen seem correct.

Prices do get changed due to FOREX fluctuations in different places at different times. All I can suggest is go for the price you like when you see it because one thing that is sure is given time it will go up and up
watchmaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 February 2019, 10:04 PM   #3
SearChart
TechXpert

Quote:
Originally Posted by watchmaker View Post
The UK RRP for a Modern GMT Master is £550, so based on exchange rates $720 or 80,000 Yen seem correct.

Prices do get changed due to FOREX fluctuations in different places at different times. All I can suggest is go for the price you like when you see it because one thing that is sure is given time it will go up and up
€700 in EU countries for professional models. Does indeed seem correct
SearChart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 February 2019, 10:15 PM   #4
JonaG
"TRF" Member

Watch: ...
Quote:
Originally Posted by watchmaker View Post

True, but it still didn't make sense to me how Bic could charge more for a service than RSC
JonaG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 February 2019, 12:53 AM   #5
watchmaker
TechXpert

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonaG View Post
True, but it still didn't make sense to me how Bic could charge more for a service than RSC
I know of plenty of places that charge a premium over RRP because they believe the margin they receive is too low. 6000 Yen is around £40. I have seen bigger premiums charged in the UK. Doesn't make it right though. Vote with your Dollar (Yen)
watchmaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 February 2019, 01:00 AM   #6
HogwldFLTR
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: What's on my wrist
I guess it depends upon what you want. Generally there is much greater control over a knowledgeable independent than an RSC. An independent can be more sensitive to maintaining originality. RSC generally just wants to get the watch back to factory specs with upgrades (like non-tritium dial and hands). In my experience pricing can be equal or lesser (or even much lower) for an independent. I bring up the case of my wife's Lady Sub Tudor which Rolex insisted needed a dial, lens, and hands replacement to the total cost of $1500 USD. The only thing is they didn't fix the problem the watch was sent in for and then accused us of dropping the watch post service. Since it was handled through a Jewelry shop we weren't able to have direct communications in the discussion.

https://www.rolexforums.com/showthread.php?t=808599
HogwldFLTR is offline   Reply With Quote