The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Old 17 October 2019, 12:38 AM   #1
DGP
"TRF" Member

Rolex v Omega

My regular AD said something interesting the other day. That we “watch people” split into two camps. Either Rolex or Omega.
He does have both dealerships. So no axe to grind!
I’ve bought half a dozen Rolex’s but never really looked at Omega.
I appreciate this site is Rolex bias but I’m interested in how many of you also have Omega’s?
DGP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 October 2019, 12:42 AM   #2
Blansky
2024 Pledge Member

I have both. Both are great watches.

Rolex has better marketing and more iconic models probably, and better resale if that matters to you. But nothing wrong with Omega.

I have many watch brands and buy because of what I like not because of who makes it.
Blansky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 October 2019, 12:44 AM   #3
Jhowton23
"TRF" Member

own both- love both. the new seamaster 300m is an absolute home run and definitely is on my list to get
Jhowton23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 October 2019, 12:47 AM   #4
Onequik135i
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116610LV
I have both and plan to add another Omega, but I’m more of a discontinued model fan on both brands. If I can find a clean full set Planet Ocean 2201.50 with the 2500D movement that will be the next pick up.
Old 17 October 2019, 12:48 AM   #5
R G
Banned

Have watches from both. Omega is a great brand and makes great watches.

Did your AD make this statement without you subsequently asking to see the Omega range?!
R G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 October 2019, 12:50 AM   #6
1SG MTB
"TRF" Member

I don’t currently own an Omega because every time I’m in a mood to spend a good amount on a watch I end up gravitating back to Rolex. That said, I love many of their watches and would love to have a Speedmaster one day.
1SG MTB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 October 2019, 12:51 AM   #7
Virtued
"TRF" Member

Own some watches from different brands. Love them all. It’s all about one’s taste and preferences. Omega makes nice watches for sure.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Virtued is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 October 2019, 12:53 AM   #8
minhc88
"TRF" Member

We'll to me it seems most watch collectors can go with out a Omega in their collection where as cannot go with out a Rolex in the collection. Too many iconic pieces from Rolex to not even have one in your collection.

Plus isn't Omega and Rolex seen on different tiers? Cannot scratch that Rolex itch by buying an Omega.

Sent from my SM-G973W using Tapatalk
minhc88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 October 2019, 12:54 AM   #9
lamnyc
"TRF" Member

The quality is better on Rolex. I own both brands.
lamnyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 October 2019, 12:55 AM   #10
Mystro
2024 Pledge Member

The two camp argument is played out.
Own them both and love them both. Omega is more enthusiast and less brand cachet oriented these days. Their horological history is significant and impressive.
These days Omega METAS movements and fit and finish is spectacular. I have owned both along the way but Omega has gravitated to a higher level recently in their METAS movements and watch construction. Their bracelets are now excelent with micro adjustment and their fit and finish is loupe worthy.

My most recent Omega acquisition this summer. This is their master chronometer planet ocean chronograph. The chronograph buttons can be pushed under the water and I have done so on many of dives so far. It is sub 1 second a week movement with or without the chronograph running and is using the superior dual barrel mainspring that regulates its power reserve more accurately thought out its entire range. Ceramic rotor bearings, etc... If your into movements that excels in every category then the cal.9900 is the movement.

The Omega vs Rolex rivalry is mainly kept alive by uneducated fanboys of each brand.
It’s not Ferrari or Porsche? The correct answer is both in the garage.

Mystro is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 17 October 2019, 12:56 AM   #11
omx5o
"TRF" Member

Watch: Milgauss GV
If you want a 007 watch or an exclusive limited edition then it has to be Omega.
omx5o is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 October 2019, 12:59 AM   #12
mgsooner
"TRF" Member

I definitely like Rolex's offerings better than Omega. That being said, Omega makes some incredibly impressive watches and my next high-end watch may very well be the 41mm SMPC - currently a nearly unbeatable value for the amount of watch you get.
mgsooner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 October 2019, 01:03 AM   #13
steeevvvooo
"TRF" Member

I was very anti Rolex for a long time. They seemed to me to be the watch that people bought to get recognition or were bought due to a lack of imagination. ("I've hit a milestone, I want a Rolex"). After all... there is a world of watches out there and I had an anti snobbery complex which made me buy anything BUT Rolex.

After years of not owning any Rolex I now have three. Still have Omega (two at the moment). I appreciate Rolex for what they are (robust, iconic/recognisable) but also dislike the fact they are so ubiquitous (except of in AD cabinets obviously!).

Basically, both should be in a collection IMO.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk
Old 17 October 2019, 01:11 AM   #14
DaveDhc
"TRF" Member

I have a Rolex, or Omega for each year of the 1950s (8 Rolex and 2 Omega). For that decade, to me the two brands are of the same quality.

I have a 1973 Omega 125 purchased last week which was never worn. That watch is superior to any watch I've ever had. I have owned a brand new Sea Dweller,
Rose gold Daytona and I currently have a brand new Oyster Perpetual 36mm. The Omega is breath taking and everyone who has seen it has been seriously impressed. Comments include "beyond amazing" and "never been impressed by any watch I've ever seen until I saw this watch". Based on this one watch, I'd say Omega is the superior brand to me.

I don't think the modern watches from Omega and Rolex are of different quality. I see them as equivalent.

If you look at the Omega Speedmaster Moon watch with Hesalite, there isn't a Rolex that could be a substitute. There are no Rolex watches with a cool factor equivalent to this watch ... my opinion.

I think Rolex are fantastic watches. They have a great history and some of their modern watches are still made that are consistent with watches of the past ... explorer, submariner no date, Oyster Perpetual 36mm.

It seems that the emphasis with Rolex and their modern watches is more focused on watch jewelry than watches that appeal for their function performance and mechanical precision. But as I pointed out, there are some watches in their lineup that don't have that blingy focus.

I think if one sticks with Rolex exclusively, they may be excluding many fantastic watches that others build, Omega being one.
DaveDhc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 October 2019, 01:16 AM   #15
Stew7
"TRF" Member

Watch: Omega, Rolex
I own both brands and believe Omega engineering, build quality, reliability and time-keeping are all equal to that of Rolex based on a dozen years of ownership.

There is a pretty heavy contingent here of people who think Rolex is superior to Omega however most of those people have never owned both brands and base their claims on resale value and desirability which Rolex does win easily.

Rolex vs Omega threads usual divide the forum into Rolex enthusiasts vs watch enthusiasts.
Stew7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 October 2019, 01:20 AM   #16
Mystro
2024 Pledge Member

Let’s also remember Omega has a multi tiered watch structure for different price points unlike Rolex. It’s easy to cherry pick more entry level watches from Omega and find fault with them against Rolex. You have to stay in the top tier of the Omega line to make a educated comparison with Rolex.
Old 17 October 2019, 01:23 AM   #17
DGP
"TRF" Member

Thanks Guy’s. Interesting responses . More Omega fans than I was predicting!
But maybe I shouldn’t be surprised as this is in the Omega discussion part of the site.
I thought I had posted it in the Rolex part.
Old 17 October 2019, 01:27 AM   #18
Mystro
2024 Pledge Member

I think he will find on TRF most of us are not one brand centric. Look at the daily WURW threads and you will see a health representation of Panerai, AP, Omega, Patek, etc.. as well as Rolex. This is what makes TRF stand above other forums as there is more experienced watch collectors here.
Old 17 October 2019, 01:32 AM   #19
FTX I
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DGP View Post
I thought I had posted it in the Rolex part.
The thread was probably moved. It's an interesting discussion for sure, but it's the oldest debate on watch forums, people never get to any conclusion but some get banned when the temperature rises. BTW I own Omega of course.
FTX I is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 October 2019, 01:34 AM   #20
kieselguhr
"TRF" Member

Watch: 1601
I owned an Omega speedmaster reduced while in school. Was a good watch. I just never wore it. Gave it to my best man. The craftsmanship is stunning and at half the price of a Rolex, it’s a steal.
kieselguhr is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 17 October 2019, 02:14 AM   #21
DGP
"TRF" Member

Moved!
Thanks for explaining FTX I
But moved? The thread is Rolex v Omega not Omega v Rolex (and I think I made my bias towards Rolex blatantly obvious!
I’m new to the form. I knew I was “throwing a cat amongst the pigeons “ but I don’t want to get anyone banded.
So if tempers start to get out of hand I’d be happy of the whole thread to be removed.
Old 17 October 2019, 02:20 AM   #22
FTX I
"TRF" Member

Don't worry. It's easier to have a nice debate on this side of the forum.
FTX I is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 October 2019, 03:54 AM   #23
colpol
"TRF" Member

I’ve both & get as much enjoyment from wearing my omega smp as the rolex SD or sub

I started out with the smp as my first ‘proper’ watch when money was tighter & it was a massive purchase for me at the time. Have said in past if fell on hard times - I’d be happy to just wear the smp as a lot of watch for the money
colpol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 October 2019, 04:20 AM   #24
42itus
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116519LN
I think many people are blinded by the brand. I am guilty of this. My AD is always telling me to look at Panerai but I feel like it's going to be too big and I never even tried one on.

I own Omega and I think they make wonderful watches. For some people, brand is the only thing that matters. But if you remove the logo and just look at the watch you will be amazed at what's out there.
42itus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 October 2019, 04:26 AM   #25
JayHantz
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: @Escapementt
Quote:
Originally Posted by 42itus View Post
But if you remove the logo and just look at the watch you will be amazed at what's out there.
Well said, Art. I think many are "brand blinded."

I personally like Omega. They make a great watch and the technology behind some of their movements is pretty awesome. I don't like how most of Omega is a 42mm size, I often wish they would put some more options in the 40mm varitey. Nevertheless, I do have some in the collection and they put a smile on my face every time I put them on.
JayHantz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 October 2019, 04:36 AM   #26
42itus
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116519LN
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayHantz View Post
Nevertheless, I do have some in the collection and they put a smile on my face every time I put them on.
This!

And I love the experience of visiting an Omega Boutique. Highly recommend! Most of the SA I've encountered have so much watch knowledge and they treat you like you're their biggest customer!
42itus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 October 2019, 05:51 AM   #27
henrylee
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116610LN Ceramic
Own both but first bought 3 Rolex watches first then a moonwatch
Old 17 October 2019, 06:01 AM   #28
AboutTime
"TRF" Member

I own both brands. I prefer vintage Omega and modern Rolex. It's more likely that my next new watch will be Rolex than Omega.
AboutTime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 October 2019, 08:33 AM   #29
TimeRookie
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116710BLNR
I own both. My first “real” watch was a Rolex that was a gift from my parents. My first purchase was an Omega PO. I have purchased a total of 4 Planet Oceans. I gave one to my son and one to my daughter. I traded one in on another titanium 42mm PO. I love all the watches I have and consider them equal. I find the ti Planet Ocean the easiest to read. I love my BLNR but I think there will always be a Planet Ocean in my stable
Pelagos 42mm
Explorer II 226570
TimeRookie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 October 2019, 09:31 AM   #30
Frosty
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex GMT 1675
I think the re-sale market answers this question nicely!