The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Old 24 May 2020, 11:34 PM   #181
JohnGingerwood
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stevec14 View Post
I do agree with you they have a lot of models, but I don’t always see that as a negative. There’s something for everyone with omega, where as Rolex keeps the same designs with little variation.

My own view is that once you’ve had one Rolex you have near enough had them all. Great watches no doubt and I’ve had a good few but they don’t really excite me as much as offerings from other firms. Horses for courses and all that.

I do wonder if we may see a few new things coming from Rolex. Omega and breitling are certainly raising their game currently (breitling certainly) releasing watches that I actually would like to buy. It will be interesting if some of the lists waiting for non existent watches have their heads turned.
Agree. The variety of models is what a like about Omega. Once you have had a Sub you have had a GMT, Sea Dweller and Yachtmaster, essentially.
JohnGingerwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 May 2020, 08:14 AM   #182
legacy404
"TRF" Member

Rolex hits a sweet spot with a classic design/size with their divers at 40mm dia/13mm thickness. Feel like the latest seamaster got too large and bulky, when trends are going the other way.

Like Omega tried to cram so many things into it with the see through case back, larger helium valve, laser engraved dial, new movement, etc, where it just grew to 42mm and strays further from the formula that worked for them. They already have a PO line so why increase the size?

The best seamasters I feel were the Bond era, up to the 2012 ceramic, where they started hitting their stride. You can see this reflected in grey market/used prices where the previous SMPc still commands close to its MSRP whereas the 2018 seamaster is not getting any takers despite all the good reviews and can be had for 3500-3800 on the grey market despite msrp of 5200.

And now these old seamasters are starting to come into their own, at 41mm and only 12mm or so thick, and have a unique blend of toolishness with a bit of flash, in the wave dial and blue bezel. I mean a see through caseback is nice, but I'd rather have a thinner profile. Hopefully Omega releases a more toned down version at a smaller size.
legacy404 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 May 2020, 10:29 AM   #183
emurray703
"TRF" Member

I have had a couple subs (16610 AND 116610) and a sea dweller (the old one), and I got bored of them very quickly.

Love my omegas. I currently have Speedmaster sapphire sandwich, blue PO, and an old seamaster 120. Love all of them. I loved my 2500 300M but lost it :-(

Sent from my SM-T720 using Tapatalk
emurray703 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 June 2020, 06:31 PM   #184
shedlock2000
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 16753; Bellini Dia
Quote:
Originally Posted by skiahh View Post
Bought an Omega in ~2000; X-33. Bought a GMT II in 2014; BLNR/Batman.

Sold the Rolex last year, wearing the Omega right now. I really like the new 300m and will probably get one. And then, maybe, I'll get a Polar Explorer II.

On the other hand, if they put this out in the new 300m... whoo boy!

Agreed — I’d love to see the gmt in the new 300. Not sure why they’re offering it only in the PO — I don’t really like the new black cases, but I do like the new 300M! Think we’ll see a release this year?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SS Submariner no date 1992 (sold); SS GMT II 2007 (sold); SS GMT II C 2008 ('M' series) (sold); SS Sub C 2011 (sold); BB GMT 1971 (sold); Omega 50th GMT
shedlock2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 June 2020, 06:43 PM   #185
shedlock2000
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cruise_bone View Post
I have one Rolex and one Omega, along with IWC, Breitling, and other good brands.

My two favorites are my Rolex Explorer ii black dial with the Orange hand, and my Omega Seamaster Planet Ocean GoodPlanet GMT.
Purchased both thru DavidSW and they are my two favorite watches. The Omega came on the bracelet but my local AD had the rubber strap and it has been on the rubber since that day.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ykSsugnE-l8

That Omega is absolutely as fine a watch as my Explorer ii and they share 90% of my wrist-time. This Omega may even be technically better than my Exp ii. It can be a little thick under a tight dress shirt, so I just wear some other shirt on the days I am wearing the Omega.

I’m currently thinking of picking up either the black dial EXPII or the black dial PO. What are your thoughts on how they compare?

Also, why did you flip to the rubber?

SS Submariner no date 1992 (sold); SS GMT II 2007 (sold); SS GMT II C 2008 ('M' series) (sold); SS Sub C 2011 (sold); BB GMT 1971 (sold); Omega 50th GMT
Old 11 June 2020, 12:46 AM   #186
cruise_bone
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by shedlock2000 View Post
I’m currently thinking of picking up either the black dial EXPII or the black dial PO. What are your thoughts on how they compare?

Also, why did you flip to the rubber?

The easiest question first is on the strap. I did it for a couple of reasons:
1) I was most attracted to the watch online on the rubber strap but DavidSW only had the steel.. They day it arrived I went to my nearest Omega AD, literally a mile from my office at the time, and shockingly they had the strap in stock. I wore the bracelet for less than 2 minutes.
2) I think it's a better looking watch on the rubber. The blue and the orange is a gorgeous combination.
3) I only have 1 other watch on rubber and wanted another one.

As to which I prefer:
4) The explorer II is a fantastic watch and it gets the most wrist time. BUT, the more I wear the Omega the more I love the watch and the Brand. I think that the Omega, from a technical standpoint, may be the better watch, and I think Omega overall may be the better Watch maker, absolutely so for the price.

5) My next watch will be another Omega or Rolex, either the 36mm datejust with fluted bezel and jubilee band, or the Omega Seamaster Aqua Terra. I've wanted the classic dress datejust for a much longer time but a co-worker is selling his gorgeous Blue face Aqua Terra and if I can get him down a little, I may go that route.

Tough call but I absolutely love them both. Even though I love the Rolex, the Omega is so gorgeous that I may miss that more than the Exp II if I had to get rid of one of them.

Good luck!
cruise_bone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 June 2020, 07:31 AM   #187
shedlock2000
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
The easiest question first is on the strap. I did it for a couple of reasons:
1) I was most attracted to the watch online on the rubber strap but DavidSW only had the steel.. They day it arrived I went to my nearest Omega AD, literally a mile from my office at the time, and shockingly they had the strap in stock. I wore the bracelet for less than 2 minutes.
2) I think it's a better looking watch on the rubber. The blue and the orange is a gorgeous combination.
3) I only have 1 other watch on rubber and wanted another one.

As to which I prefer:
4) The explorer II is a fantastic watch and it gets the most wrist time. BUT, the more I wear the Omega the more I love the watch and the Brand. I think that the Omega, from a technical standpoint, may be the better watch, and I think Omega overall may be the better Watch maker, absolutely so for the price.

5) My next watch will be another Omega or Rolex, either the 36mm datejust with fluted bezel and jubilee band, or the Omega Seamaster Aqua Terra. I've wanted the classic dress datejust for a much longer time but a co-worker is selling his gorgeous Blue face Aqua Terra and if I can get him down a little, I may go that route.

Tough call but I absolutely love them both. Even though I love the Rolex, the Omega is so gorgeous that I may miss that more than the Exp II if I had to get rid of one of them.

Good luck!

Thanks for the comprehensive answer! Interesting about the rubber. I’m looking at a titanium model, so I don’t know that I could go black with the blue face and I don’t really like the blue rubber (blue and brown looks reasonable — but no brown rubber). The titanium is much lighter than the steel version, so there’s that.

Can I ask why the EXPII gets the most wrist time? Is it short sleeve related (and on that point, does the PO actually fit under shirt sleeves)?

Old 11 June 2020, 07:54 AM   #188
cruise_bone
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by shedlock2000 View Post
Thanks for the comprehensive answer! Interesting about the rubber. I’m looking at a titanium model, so I don’t know that I could go black with the blue face and I don’t really like the blue rubber (blue and brown looks reasonable — but no brown rubber). The titanium is much lighter than the steel version, so there’s that.

Can I ask why the EXPII gets the most wrist time? Is it short sleeve related (and on that point, does the PO actually fit under shirt sleeves)?

You basically answered your own question. The Omega is a 43.5 mm thick and though I can sometimes get it under a long sleeve dress shirt, which is what I wear when I am in the office, most of the time the 41mm Rolex wins. I have not put in the effort to increase my left sleeve cuff size like some WIS here do. However, in short sleeves, or long sleeve wool or cotton polo's or t-shirts, or with any sweater, the Omega is likely to win.
Old 11 June 2020, 08:04 AM   #189
cruise_bone
"TRF" Member

Quote:
You basically answered your own question. The Omega is 43.5 mm thick and though I can sometimes get it under a long sleeve dress shirt, which is what I wear when I am in the office, most of the time the 41mm Rolex usually wins. I have not put in the effort to increase my left sleeve cuff size like some WIS here do. However, in short sleeves, or long sleeve wool or cotton polo's or t-shirts, or with any sweater, the Omega is likely to win.
My real problem is when I travel overseas. I have a thing for GMTs and I always struggle with which to take: The Explorer II, the Omega Goodplanet GMT, or my IWC Ingenieur Dual time(also on a rubber strap), my third favorite watch.
1st world problems, I know.

I sometimes take 2, but never three. Most years I also take a trip to Ireland for a little golf getaway and I take a Garmin golf watch with me, so on those trips I am likely to take only one of my three favorites with me.

On my annual ski trips, the rubber straps win.
Old 11 June 2020, 08:25 AM   #190
shedlock2000
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
My real problem is when I travel overseas. I have a thing for GMTs and I always struggle with which to take: The Explorer II, the Omega Goodplanet GMT, or my IWC Ingenieur Dual time(also on a rubber strap), my third favorite watch.
1st world problems, I know.
This is my issue too. I don’t wear shirts very often, but they are dress shirts (french cuff) when I do. My Bremont just sneaks under, but I don’t know that the PO would.

I travel a lot to conferences and need to track 2-3 time zones when collaborating. In that respect, the PO is missing the inner 0-24 scale, but so would the EXPII; and there are very few (Monta) that have that functionality.

I have a very delightful 1675, which is my favourite ever watch, but my life is far to rough on it. It’s just come back from RSC, and has been back twice (it’s unclear if it’s anything to do with me jarring the piece or if it’s part of the finicky servicing tolerances). Either way, I’ve become twitchy about the Rollie holding up. My Bremont is bullet proof, but it’s strap only (and I’m really a bracelet guy); I go through a leather band roughly every 6 months (and they keep popping open).

Do you happen to know if the Ti PO has a micro adjust in the clasp — or did that come out only with the SMPs this time around? I updated my SMP300GMT clasp to the later style, but it was steel and easy to do.

Old 12 June 2020, 03:51 AM   #191
GST15
"TRF" Member

Watch: CHNR/YM/DJ/OP/SUB
Quote:
Originally Posted by tvandevelde View Post
I could not disagree more. I have owned hundreds of each. You also need to compare certain models to each other to even make a blanket statement like this. What are you comparing?

Omega makes a damn good watch!
Hundreds?
GST15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 June 2020, 03:56 AM   #192
GST15
"TRF" Member

Watch: CHNR/YM/DJ/OP/SUB
Just curious. Since you have had so many, I assume you buy and sell quite a bit. Which are the ones you love and won't part with from each of these two brands?
GST15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 June 2020, 04:34 AM   #193
mgsooner
"TRF" Member

I've been thinking about this a lot recently, Rolex vs Omega. The YouTuber Bruce Williams has been doing a lot of Omega content as of late, and I have to say - Omega is putting out some incredibly striking and impressive pieces. When watches like the Diver 300M, the Planet Ocean and the new Aqua Terras are placed next to a modern Rolex the Rolex almost looks...antiquated. Obviously Rolex has more of a timeless, classic design language but the differences are striking. When you add in Omega's display casebacks with nicely decorated movements and their co-ax tech, I'm personally seeing a LOT of value there. With two Rolexes under my belt I am really leaning toward an Omega for my next luxury-tier purchase.
mgsooner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 June 2020, 12:19 PM   #194
Mrdojo
"TRF" Member

They are both amazing watches. Omega can be daunting to jump into because of how many editions they are but I think that’s the beauty in omega having so many unique pieces and history. Rolex is such well known brand is hard to go wrong. End of the day, I say purchase both!
Mrdojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 June 2020, 03:52 PM   #195
horseShu
"TRF" Member

Watch: Aqua Terra
I really enjoy reading the "advice" of armchair CEOs here.
The core of their advice is basically, "be like Rolex".

My humble opinion is, that is not going to work. Omega has to find their own strengths and capitalize on it. For me, their innovation in movements, the large variety of models, and the entry-level luxury pricing is what got me as a customer.

If you enjoy your unavailable, limited supply, expensive sports watches, Rolex has you covered nicely. stick with that.
horseShu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 June 2020, 12:20 AM   #196
C0d
Banned

Watch: Dog
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wing Zero View Post
Vintage Rolex and Modern Omega for me.

That is my fav iteration of SMP 300. Its a future classic and is very Underrated IMHO.
C0d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 June 2020, 05:28 AM   #197
Wing Zero
"TRF" Member

Watch: 1680 ~ 16610LV
Quote:
Originally Posted by C0d View Post
That is my fav iteration of SMP 300. Its a future classic and is very Underrated IMHO.

Yes I agree. The fact that you can get 4 SMP’s for 1 Rolex sports model = best deal out there.

Wing Zero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 June 2020, 08:50 AM   #198
Spectre38
"TRF" Member

Watch: and be amazed.
Both for me...
Spectre38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 June 2020, 09:20 AM   #199
DoctorA
"TRF" Member

Depends on the model
Submariner, and Seamaster each has its own charm
Daytona and speedmaster each has Its history and fans
I can’t say a brand over another as a statement but can compare each model to its competitor from the other brand. Where each has its unique nature
Old 16 June 2020, 09:50 AM   #200
eddie_b
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 126610LV
Quote:
Originally Posted by horseShu View Post
I really enjoy reading the "advice" of armchair CEOs here.
The core of their advice is basically, "be like Rolex".

My humble opinion is, that is not going to work. Omega has to find their own strengths and capitalize on it. For me, their innovation in movements, the large variety of models, and the entry-level luxury pricing is what got me as a customer.

If you enjoy your unavailable, limited supply, expensive sports watches, Rolex has you covered nicely. stick with that.
This 100%!
eddie_b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 June 2020, 10:33 AM   #201
macrowatch
"TRF" Member

I have to say, watches aside for a moment, the brand experience of the Omega botiques is far and away so much better than the current Rolex 'boutique' experience. Rolex boutique in quotes because I think while the decor looks all rolex, I don't think there's actually uniform training and control, I think it's very much run the way the 'AD' fronted as botique runs it.

Had to pick up some straps and buckles this week, wow, was blown away by the service, the polish of the whole operation. Felt very high end compared to the eye rolls I get from the Rolex dealers these days (despite multiple watches during and before the shortage).
macrowatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 June 2020, 02:11 AM   #202
Oyster Sauce
"TRF" Member

Have both, enjoy both. Although I definitely understand those who point to the futility of such threads, I appreciated the opportunity to reflect on why I like both Rolex and Omega. I find neither brand better than the other, but each's merits are different. Both are of a similar tier of high quality in my mind. Here are my thoughts on the advantages that each brand presents:

Rolex

- consistency (some would say conservatism) in visual design philosophy for any given model over many decades; apparently the Rolex design approach has been popular for several generations, meaning that whichever Rolex you buy today (new or vintage) will be considered acceptable style in the future as well
- marketing -- many point to the "superior" marketing strategy of Rolex. It is hard to argue with this, as the brand recognition of Rolex is strong.
- monetary value retention -- this is at least related to marketing, but I think it also a bit simplistic and unfair to the brand to say that its value retention is just due to marketing. I think we should give credit to Rolex for making solid watches that last a long time, with esthetics that appeal to many. This is not to say Rolex has the corner on the "well-constructed watch" market. Rather, Rolex makes a really good watch, and it has convinced the general public of this.
- keeping it simple. Rolex has focused on reliable workhorse movements, perhaps not seeing the sort of innovation that other brands have demonstrated. It has also focused on cases and bracelets that are of top quality. This KISS ("keep it simple, stupid!") approach to watch making/branding has really worked in Rolex's favor...they are not the most technologically advanced, but for what they are, they do really well.
- James Bond (of the Sean Connery variety )

Omega

- evolution of visual design philosophy; approximately each decade has brought a new design pattern for each of its models. This sort of variety is good on multiple levels...for example, there's a Seamaster for everyone. And maybe there are folks in the watch community who delight in collecting all the different iterations of a particular model. This is to Omega's credit, I think. I applaud them for constantly considering and re-considering their designs.
- affordability and availability. Although its name recognition to the general public is not quite as strong as Rolex, Omega is still a well recognized mid-tier luxury watch brand. Lower pre-owned prices (and brand new prices, generally) mean that an enthusiast can get a really cool, really respectable Omega at a variety of price points. And they can get that piece today. I really see Omega's accessibility as a huge plus. This is a really important factor for the hobby...I think Omega's impact on getting people to the mid-tier luxury level is often overlooked.
- technological. Innovations in movement design, such as the Co-Axial series, are the things that attract many watch enthusiasts, and for good reason. The movement is the heart of horology.
- James Bond (of the Pierce Brosnan and Daniel Craig variety )

So much to like about both brands. I hope everyone is willing to give each a try.
Oyster Sauce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 June 2020, 08:07 AM   #203
cc75
"TRF" Member

Watch: Skydweller
Thanks for your analysis Oyster Sauce.
cc75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 June 2020, 08:15 AM   #204
G3Z
"TRF" Member

Watch: Omega, Rolex etc..
I definitely see more Omegas in the wild than Rolex’s. They’re accessible, more affordable and enough models to satisfy a range of tastes.
G3Z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 June 2020, 08:15 AM   #205
G3Z
"TRF" Member

Watch: Omega, Rolex etc..
I definitely see more Omegas in the wild than Rolex’s. They’re accessible, more affordable and enough models to satisfy a range of tastes.

I actually see the ‘Omegas lose value’ as a good thing - as people just wear them and on average, have more enjoyment out of them, as there’s no reason to baby them, so to speak - as the value retention isn’t there to even consider. They’re bought because they like the watch and want to wear it as much as possible. It’s not bought with intentions of flipping to greys.
G3Z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 June 2020, 01:50 AM   #206
emtee
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oyster Sauce View Post
Have both, enjoy both. Although I definitely understand those who point to the futility of such threads, I appreciated the opportunity to reflect on why I like both Rolex and Omega. I find neither brand better than the other, but each's merits are different. Both are of a similar tier of high quality in my mind. Here are my thoughts on the advantages that each brand presents:

Rolex

- consistency (some would say conservatism) in visual design philosophy for any given model over many decades; apparently the Rolex design approach has been popular for several generations, meaning that whichever Rolex you buy today (new or vintage) will be considered acceptable style in the future as well
- marketing -- many point to the "superior" marketing strategy of Rolex. It is hard to argue with this, as the brand recognition of Rolex is strong.
- monetary value retention -- this is at least related to marketing, but I think it also a bit simplistic and unfair to the brand to say that its value retention is just due to marketing. I think we should give credit to Rolex for making solid watches that last a long time, with esthetics that appeal to many. This is not to say Rolex has the corner on the "well-constructed watch" market. Rather, Rolex makes a really good watch, and it has convinced the general public of this.
- keeping it simple. Rolex has focused on reliable workhorse movements, perhaps not seeing the sort of innovation that other brands have demonstrated. It has also focused on cases and bracelets that are of top quality. This KISS ("keep it simple, stupid!") approach to watch making/branding has really worked in Rolex's favor...they are not the most technologically advanced, but for what they are, they do really well.
- James Bond (of the Sean Connery variety )

Omega

- evolution of visual design philosophy; approximately each decade has brought a new design pattern for each of its models. This sort of variety is good on multiple levels...for example, there's a Seamaster for everyone. And maybe there are folks in the watch community who delight in collecting all the different iterations of a particular model. This is to Omega's credit, I think. I applaud them for constantly considering and re-considering their designs.
- affordability and availability. Although its name recognition to the general public is not quite as strong as Rolex, Omega is still a well recognized mid-tier luxury watch brand. Lower pre-owned prices (and brand new prices, generally) mean that an enthusiast can get a really cool, really respectable Omega at a variety of price points. And they can get that piece today. I really see Omega's accessibility as a huge plus. This is a really important factor for the hobby...I think Omega's impact on getting people to the mid-tier luxury level is often overlooked.
- technological. Innovations in movement design, such as the Co-Axial series, are the things that attract many watch enthusiasts, and for good reason. The movement is the heart of horology.
- James Bond (of the Pierce Brosnan and Daniel Craig variety )

So much to like about both brands. I hope everyone is willing to give each a try.
Great analysis and pretty much echo my own thoughts in the subject.

I would add however that one if the downsides of Omega’s approach of always coming up with new designs to appeal to current tastes means that they often end up looking dated when those tastes change. Whereas as Rolex with their philosophy of sticking to classic designs mean that even a watch that’s 20+ years old still looks current.
emtee is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 22 June 2020, 05:44 AM   #207
Oyster Sauce
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by emtee View Post
Great analysis and pretty much echo my own thoughts in the subject.

I would add however that one if the downsides of Omega’s approach of always coming up with new designs to appeal to current tastes means that they often end up looking dated when those tastes change. Whereas as Rolex with their philosophy of sticking to classic designs mean that even a watch that’s 20+ years old still looks current.
Yep, totally agree. Omega variety, Rolex consistency. Both good in a certain context. Wearing my 2254.50 today and loving it...still think its one of the best dive watches you can get, especially in the Seamaster range. Love the vintage hour markers combined with the wave pattern background, as well as the thinness of the case (bracelet is also relatively innocuous looking). At the same time, wouldn't mind if the font used for the rotating bezel was a little smaller!
Oyster Sauce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 June 2020, 11:15 AM   #208
Krash
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Sub, DJ41, GMT
Rolex v Omega

I love both brands.

However, about a year ago, I was comparing the Datejust 41 with the Aqua Terra 41. They look like they’re pretty similar and in the same ballpark on the internet. It might not be a totally fair comparison given the cost differential, but that’s what my decision came down to.

When I tried on a blue dial Datejust with fluted bezel and jubilee bracelet, I was totally blown away by it. Totally blown away by it. Magnificent, just magnificent.

When I tried on the blue dial Aqua Terra, I liked it, but I was far less enthusiastic about it. I was enthusiastic about the price, but clearly the Rolex was in a different league.

People talk about marketing, but marketing had nothing to do with it. The Rolex was just far superior to me.

Now if I were comparing an Aqua Terra to an OP 39, I’d go with the Aqua Terra no doubt, but that’s where Omega competes well with Rolex. Low end models. Aqua Terra and Globemaster simply can’t compete with the Datejust (IMHO).

EDIT: important to note; I never made a decision in terms of which watch to get. I still might get the Aqua Terra simply because of price. :)

Krash is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 26 June 2020, 06:30 AM   #209
britabroad
"TRF" Member

Watch: GS SBGV245
Have a Omega PO and love the brand so will only focus on the negatives from my point of view.

Bracelets not as good as Roles
Seamaster size
Aqua Terra size, dont hear this often but its a couple of mm to big to be the one watch killer
Design, what looks good today, especially the shiny new dials and bezel, looks old fashion tomorrow.

None are show stoppers, all depend on own option..

I will always have an Omega in my collection regardless
britabroad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 July 2020, 04:45 AM   #210
DrStrangluv
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cesium137 View Post
Always keeping my eye open for my first Omega. Haven’t found it yet. Not a fan of skeleton hands, not a fan of that He release valve at 10:00 and think the moon watch is too delicate. So I’m still looking. Not actively, but keeping an open mind. I am interested in the world time that will be hitting dealers soon. I think it’s a 43, which should fit me nicely. We’ll see.
Likewise, I really appreciate the up-to-date technology behind omega watches. But their designs simply do not make my heart sing. The recent orange white Planet Ocean puts a big grin on my face but the HE valve and the case size puts me on the fence. The 37.5m white is great but has a wacky date window and is shorted the 8900 movement. The 57 Speedy (regular colored lume) and the grey side of the moon are almost, but how I wish they have just keep the minutes chrono track and did away the hour instead of doubling them onto the same subdial. The DeVille Tresor blue cross hatch face is even closer but the date window makes me think twice.

There has been one Omega that ticked every box for me and put me on the hunt for. The 36mm Aqua Terra Railmaster 2504. Alas, it has been discontinued and are overpriced on second hand markets. So while I want to love Omega as much as other brands, they haven't put together too many packages that send me over the moon. And the journey to my first Omega continues.

Rolex, while no way near perfect, just has so many more packages that push my buttons.
DrStrangluv is offline   Reply With Quote