The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Old 15 January 2021, 03:28 PM   #31
Andad
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: A few.
We had a little rain yesterday morning Seth.

I have to support 80+ wineries with a 40 km radius.

Andad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 January 2021, 05:46 PM   #32
Uggi
Banned

I can understand people giving up booze forever but for 31 days? Don't see the point. It's like "Veganuary" - why become a vegan for just 31 days in one specific month of the year? Lifestyle changes I can understand but these gimmicks make no sense to me.
Uggi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 January 2021, 05:48 PM   #33
tonif
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uggi View Post
I can understand people giving up booze forever but for 31 days? Don't see the point. It's like "Veganuary" - why become a vegan for just 31 days in one specific month of the year? Lifestyle changes I can understand but these gimmicks make no sense to me.
I kinda agree with you, its pointless.
tonif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 January 2021, 09:59 PM   #34
Beo3

Watch: Too Many
Keep it up Seth.

I didn't realize it until your post, but I haven't had a drink since New Years Eve. I do not feel any difference at all, but I'm only a social drinker these days.

That will end tomorrow though, heading out to dinner with friends.

My father hasn't drank in fifty years. He didn't have a problem with it, just worked so much on overnights he said he didn't have time to anymore.

I can also say that it must be beneficial to be alcohol free. He's 83, goes to the doctor once a year and is sharp as a tack.
Beo3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 January 2021, 11:50 PM   #35
superdog
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Omega
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uggi View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonif View Post
I kinda agree with you, its pointless.
You know what they say “ignorance is bliss”.

IG: gsmotorclub
IG: thesawcollection

(Both mostly just car stuff)
superdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 January 2021, 11:58 PM   #36
superdog
2024 Pledge Member

Midway point today.

I feel friggin fantastic. And crushed my workout this am.

Down 5lbs and I just can’t get over how well I sleep.

So many benefits that I didn’t even realize. From digestion, to how my skin looks. I even use my asthma inhaler less.

The challenge is I really do enjoy drinking. I’m not a social drinker, I’m just a drinker drinker. Vodka on the rocks. Whiskey neat. Screwdrivers on Saturday (started sober Sunday a while ago) morning after a workout. Never something I need per say. I just enjoy it. And rarely in excess. But a few a day. More on weekends. Lately I’ve had a few days off per week.

But the full two weeks off is eye opening. My wife told me I look less puffy...

For certain I’ll be enjoying some beverages when the month is over. But also certainly I’ll be changing habits significantly.

The big challenge will be work entertaining. Even now, I’m out at least once a week. Once things open back up for real, I’ll be out at least 3 days a week. I suppose I’ll cross that bridge when I come to it.

But dang, feeling good folks.

Enjoy the day all.

Old 16 January 2021, 12:02 AM   #37
Beo3

Watch: Too Many
Keep it up Seth.

You say it yourself, you are seeing positive results.

But when you get back off the wagon we'll meet up, and I'm buying!
Beo3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 January 2021, 12:04 AM   #38
dimag333
"TRF" Member

youll drop the lbs for sure, I went from 185 to 165 with only stopping drinking, the mixers and beer really up the calories

steve
dimag333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 January 2021, 12:05 AM   #39
superdog
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beo3 View Post
Keep it up Seth.

You say it yourself, you are seeing positive results.

But when you get back off the wagon, we'll meet up, and I'm buying!
Love it!!!

And I'm going to hold you to this!!!

Can’t wait.

Old 16 January 2021, 12:06 AM   #40
superdog
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dimag333 View Post
youll drop the lbs for sure, I went from 185 to 165 with only stopping drinking, the mixers and beer really up the calories

steve
Yeah, I’m figuring I’m saving at least 500 calories a day, on average.

Yikes.

Old 16 January 2021, 12:07 AM   #41
superdog
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Token74 View Post
Yep, and feeling much better as a result. But I’m miserable!! Friday nights are bad enough in lockdown (has always been boys night down the pub for me, where i get to chat cars, watches, and football), but not even being able to enjoy wine with the wife is unbearable!

We drink wine most nights hence the need to do dry January, but i don’t really miss it in the week, but i can’t wait for the first weekend in February!

What’s strange is the mental connection with drinking. My wife and i were discussing it last Saturday. We were a bit low because we were dry, and at about 9pm we nearly caved! And the thing is, that our mood would have improved the instant we opened the first beer or has a wine in hand. The alcohol doesn’t change things, but our mental connection to it does. It’s been a long day so not sure I’ve articulated this very well, but i wonder if others experience the same thing?

Is a bit like when I’m driving home and need to pee. I can hold it easily until i pull onto my driveway, at which point my brain has informed my bladder that release is imminent so begin the process!! With beer, when i open the first bottle, my brain sends a message to itself to say, relax now, tonight is going to be good!

I do dry January every year though as it is good for me. But it also reminds me of how much i admire my step father who is a dry alcoholic and has been bitter for over 30 years, as an adult i appreciates so much more about his sacrifice than i did as a child

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Brother. You and I need a visit sometime in the near future!!!

Old 16 January 2021, 12:19 AM   #42
swils8610

Dry January

I don’t drink. No change for me!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
swils8610 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 January 2021, 12:28 AM   #43
Patton250
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 5205R
Quote:
Originally Posted by superdog View Post
Midway point today.

I feel friggin fantastic. And crushed my workout this am.

Down 5lbs and I just can’t get over how well I sleep.

So many benefits that I didn’t even realize. From digestion, to how my skin looks. I even use my asthma inhaler less.

The challenge is I really do enjoy drinking. I’m not a social drinker, I’m just a drinker drinker. Vodka on the rocks. Whiskey neat. Screwdrivers on Saturday (started sober Sunday a while ago) morning after a workout. Never something I need per say. I just enjoy it. And rarely in excess. But a few a day. More on weekends. Lately I’ve had a few days off per week.

But the full two weeks off is eye opening. My wife told me I look less puffy...

For certain I’ll be enjoying some beverages when the month is over. But also certainly I’ll be changing habits significantly.

The big challenge will be work entertaining. Even now, I’m out at least once a week. Once things open back up for real, I’ll be out at least 3 days a week. I suppose I’ll cross that bridge when I come to it.

But dang, feeling good folks.

Enjoy the day all.
I totally get it my friend. I quit drinking many years ago because I got tired of feeling like crap from it. It doesn’t take very many beverages to affect your sleep, digestive track and many other bodily functions. Talk to any honest doctor they will tell you alcohol is pure 100% poison and terrible for you. Of course there are many social benefits and while you’re drinking it does make you feel good. But I decided I’d rather feel better and sleep better and that those benefits outweighed the high you get from having a few drinks. Alcohol really has one purpose and that’s to impair you. Some people deny that but I just ignore them because they’re really just denying it to themselves. Those of us like you and I that are honest about it admit that when we drink we just drink because it feels good at the time we are doing it. It’s just when you get a little older you realize the good you feel from it is not worth the bad that comes from it the next day. That’s at least how I feel about it. I don’t miss it one bit. So good for you brother. I bet you do feel great.

Pride goes before destruction, and haughtiness before a fall.

Often times unbelief is disguised as wisdom

Instagram - patton250
Patton250 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 January 2021, 12:39 AM   #44
AzPaul
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex 1501
Quote:
Granted, can’t wait for the 1st of February. But for sure this is eye opening. I can’t believe how well I’m sleeping.
That was the biggest thing I noticed when I stopped.
Not so much the falling asleep, but staying asleep.
Old 16 January 2021, 12:42 AM   #45
colpol
"TRF" Member

I did 14th - 28th December on call & currently in between on call - 8th - 18th Jan. have to be able to drive at a phone call so stay off it

Chance to earn a bit/ save a bit at this time of year - no one gives you a hard time when your on call either if staying off the booze
colpol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 January 2021, 01:07 AM   #46
Blansky
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andad View Post
We had a little rain yesterday morning Seth.

I have to support 80+ wineries with a 40 km radius.
Keep up the fine work.

Sadly I got expelled from Sonoma County for not keeping up my end.

Damn wine police.

Strutting around with their fancy cork ejectors, and their baby fingers in the air, acting all high and mighty.........don't get me started.....
Old 16 January 2021, 01:08 AM   #47
PeqFB
"TRF" Member

I’ve been doing it for the past 15 years. Helps makes me feel less guilty about drinking 5x the amount in December
PeqFB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 January 2021, 01:35 AM   #48
Ballzzz

Seth NOW I know why I have been procuring those rarer bottles of Bourbon all around town all you Dry Jan'ers! Thank You!
Keep it up man if that's the goal you set don't deter, Feb is right around the bend.
Old 16 January 2021, 02:01 AM   #49
MrGoat
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 16613
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ballzzz View Post
Seth NOW I know why I have been procuring those rarer bottles of Bourbon all around town all you Dry Jan'ers! Thank You!
Keep it up man if that's the goal you set don't deter, Feb is right around the bend.

So in FL we have ABC liquor and they have this silly key membership thing (based on $ spent the year prior) where you get access to the “vault” so many times a year. I have a gold key that is only supposed to give me 6 vault invitations a year. I got one in December and January. I’m curious if maybe this dry January business has helped me get more vault access as well in my area.

Seth, you’re a much better man than I. I sincerely like my beer. It’s one of my great pleasures in life. I don’t count but I probably drink more daily than most on this forum (at least most comments I’ve seen). Sleep like a baby every night, up an at em every morning at 5:30am. Provide a great life and lots of love and support to my family. I don’t think I would enjoy a dry January. I have gone dry here or there for anywhere from a month to about a year when I was younger. Now, where I am in life and the daily stresses of my occupation I enjoy my beers when I get home. Since COVID I have not been put drinking with the boys so very limited amount of anything beyond beer. I applaud yours and everyone else’s abstinence whether it be a month or decades. It just doesn’t appeal to me personally. Keep excelling and motivating us to be better!!

MrGoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 January 2021, 02:19 AM   #50
tudorbaja27
"TRF" Member

Watch: Tudor & Cartier
I'm not "dry" per se - I had a couple of glasses of wine last week. Definitely needed a break after the Christmas and NYE festivities to get back to normal
Old 16 January 2021, 02:36 AM   #51
Token74
"TRF" Member

Watch: Too many!
Quote:
Brother. You and I need a visit sometime in the near future!!!

Patek Philippe Nautilus 5990 - AP Royal Oak 15300 - AP Royal Oak 15450 Blue - AP Royal Oak 15450 Silver - AP Royal Oak Offshore 26480 - Royal Oak Offshore 15710 - Rolex Sea Dweller 116600 - Rolex Daytona 116519 - Rolex GMT 126710 BLRO - Omega Speedmaster Reduced - JLC Reverso GMT Moonphase - TAG Microtimer - Dent Pocket Watch - JLC Atmos Phases de lune
Token74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 January 2021, 03:10 AM   #52
Blansky
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tudorbaja27 View Post
I'm not "dry" per se - I had a couple of glasses of wine last week..........
But isn't that like saying, except for the times I'm having sex, I'm completely celibate.
Old 16 January 2021, 03:13 AM   #53
RJG
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116610LN
As I type this...it's been 3035 days since my last drink. But who's counting?
RJG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 January 2021, 03:38 AM   #54
Token74
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RJG View Post
As I type this...it's been 3035 days since my last drink. But who's counting?

Patek Philippe Nautilus 5990 - AP Royal Oak 15300 - AP Royal Oak 15450 Blue - AP Royal Oak 15450 Silver - AP Royal Oak Offshore 26480 - Royal Oak Offshore 15710 - Rolex Sea Dweller 116600 - Rolex Daytona 116519 - Rolex GMT 126710 BLRO - Omega Speedmaster Reduced - JLC Reverso GMT Moonphase - TAG Microtimer - Dent Pocket Watch - JLC Atmos Phases de lune
Old 16 January 2021, 03:41 AM   #55
Token74
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blansky View Post
But isn't that like saying, except for the times I'm having sex, I'm completely celibate.

I think to be celibate I’d need to be abstaining. And i never abstain, I’m just denied the opportunity!!

Old 16 January 2021, 03:45 AM   #56
tudorbaja27
"TRF" Member

Watch: Tudor & Cartier
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blansky View Post

Let me rephrase - I'm not attemtping to be "dry" - in any sense of the word
Old 16 January 2021, 03:47 AM   #57
mjclark32
"TRF" Member

Watch: IWC, Rolex, AP
Good for you, buddy

Since getting home on the 4th I've cut back big time (hard not to drink in the FL sunshine).
A drink or two during week nights/less than a handful on the weekends...

I'm also up early for workout and definitely feel better/stronger during. If I could get my gym to open up earlier on the weekends I'd probably cut back on Fri/Sat too.
Though, like you, I enjoy it...

Keep it up
Old 16 January 2021, 04:12 AM   #58
d4th
Banned

I don’t drink as much as I used to but I guess this month I was able to spend wisely better than last year.
d4th is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 January 2021, 06:17 AM   #59
Ballzzz

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrGoat View Post
So in FL we have ABC liquor and they have this silly key membership thing (based on $ spent the year prior) where you get access to the “vault” so many times a year. I have a gold key that is only supposed to give me 6 vault invitations a year. I got one in December and January. I’m curious if maybe this dry January business has helped me get more vault access as well in my area.

Seth, you’re a much better man than I. I sincerely like my beer. It’s one of my great pleasures in life. I don’t count but I probably drink more daily than most on this forum (at least most comments I’ve seen). Sleep like a baby every night, up an at em every morning at 5:30am. Provide a great life and lots of love and support to my family. I don’t think I would enjoy a dry January. I have gone dry here or there for anywhere from a month to about a year when I was younger. Now, where I am in life and the daily stresses of my occupation I enjoy my beers when I get home. Since COVID I have not been put drinking with the boys so very limited amount of anything beyond beer. I applaud yours and everyone else’s abstinence whether it be a month or decades. It just doesn’t appeal to me personally. Keep excelling and motivating us to be better!!

This + allocations at the start of the year possibly?
Old 16 January 2021, 06:19 AM   #60
MrGoat
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 16613
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ballzzz View Post
This + allocations at the start of the year possibly?

No idea. Nice e30.

MrGoat is offline   Reply With Quote