The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Vintage Rolex Discussion

Old 11 March 2010, 08:24 AM   #1
pluto_scorp
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT 2 2001
Buying a vintage Rolex - possibly stupid questions...

Can anyone advise. When looking at online ad's they sometimes state original hands / dial - does that just mean they are right for the age of the watch i.e. may not be original to the watch? does the bracelet have a code stamped on it that matches one on the case? oh and why do I keep seeing people talk about the serial no. e.g. 2.44mil serial number - I don't understand the importance? there seems to be a considerable increase in price for a watch with recent service papers - more than I imagine it would cost to service a watch - any opinions? what discount should you expect to get when approaching a dealer with a store?

Any opinions would be appreciated. btw i am looking at GMT 1675's.
pluto_scorp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 March 2010, 09:31 AM   #2
jedly1
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pluto_scorp View Post
Can anyone advise. When looking at online ad's they sometimes state original hands / dial - does that just mean they are right for the age of the watch i.e. may not be original to the watch? does the bracelet have a code stamped on it that matches one on the case? oh and why do I keep seeing people talk about the serial no. e.g. 2.44mil serial number - I don't understand the importance? there seems to be a considerable increase in price for a watch with recent service papers - more than I imagine it would cost to service a watch - any opinions? what discount should you expect to get when approaching a dealer with a store?

Any opinions would be appreciated. btw i am looking at GMT 1675's.
original dial/ hands means exactly what it says, but is sometimes 'stretched' to mean original in the sense' made by rolex .i. original rolex manufacture. this you want to avoid, you want a piece with the correct original style matching dial and tritium hand for the age of the watch - this is where serial comes in as it dates the watch to its approximate year of manufacture.

the bracelet has a code to denote which style it is, which end links are fitted and often either a date / or code to denote the date.

service papers validate and authenticate the watch to a degree, with a service in the £300-550 region and often a long period to wait some are happy to pay a premium for the peace of mind they bring.

discount... how long is a piece of string, dealer attitude, good day /bad day how long stocked etc etc etc
jedly1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 March 2010, 07:17 AM   #3
pluto_scorp
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT 2 2001
Quote:
Originally Posted by jedly1 View Post
original dial/ hands means exactly what it says, but is sometimes 'stretched' to mean original in the sense' made by rolex .i. original rolex manufacture. this you want to avoid, you want a piece with the correct original style matching dial and tritium hand for the age of the watch - this is where serial comes in as it dates the watch to its approximate year of manufacture.

the bracelet has a code to denote which style it is, which end links are fitted and often either a date / or code to denote the date.

service papers validate and authenticate the watch to a degree, with a service in the £300-550 region and often a long period to wait some are happy to pay a premium for the peace of mind they bring.

discount... how long is a piece of string, dealer attitude, good day /bad day how long stocked etc etc etc
Thanks jedly1 - valuable advice.
pluto_scorp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 March 2010, 08:25 AM   #4
cronin
"TRF" Member

Recent service papers can also be an indication the watch has been well cared for which is especially important with a vintage timepiece.
cronin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 March 2010, 12:26 AM   #5
Kokyuryoku
"TRF" Member

Watch: Sundial
If there is no proof of service you should probably asume that it needs to be done.

Omega 3570.50 (77mil) Rolex 16610 (V) Rolex 1601 (1966) Seiko BM
Kokyuryoku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 March 2010, 12:30 AM   #6
smoken
"TRF" Member

how often should a vintage be serviced?
smoken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 March 2010, 12:36 AM   #7
Renoir
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by smoken View Post
how often should a vintage be serviced?
I would say between 5 - 7 years, depending on how much it is worn. Just my opinion.

Kokyuryoku makes a good point, whenever I buy vintage or preowned, I have them serviced for peace of mind.

Good luck, the 1675 is a great and iconic piece!

Renoir is offline   Reply With Quote