The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > General Topics > Open Discussion Forum

Old 18 April 2017, 09:03 PM   #31
brandrea
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: es make me smile
Quote:
Originally Posted by BristolCavendish View Post
^^^ Best to have both. One for grilling (Genesis) and the traditional kettle for slower/indirect cooking. Both are built to last.
Ahh the typical TRF response ... Get BOTH
brandrea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 April 2017, 10:09 PM   #32
Lol-x
Facilitator

Ok well you are lucky because I happen to be an expert on this issue....

First of all I would suggest that your claim that you need gas because you can't be bothered with charcoal is a mistake.

It is a mistake because these days using charcoal is easy and hassle free. I say this because there is a little handy device called a "charcoal chimney". This allows you to get all the coals by little more than striking a match and waiting 20 minutes until all the coals are red hot.

Secondly, charcoal will impart a flavour to whatever you cook that you will find difficult to replicate with gas.

There is something deeply satisfying about a charcoal burn, perhaps it is a caveman thing...

Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be. ~Abraham Lincoln
Nothing compares to the simple pleasure of a bike ride. ~John F. Kennedy

ROLEXploitation - yeah I'm a victim
Lol-x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 April 2017, 10:39 PM   #33
james1787
"TRF" Member

Watch: Submariner 14060
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lol-x View Post

First of all I would suggest that your claim that you need gas because you can't be bothered with charcoal is a mistake.

It is a mistake because these days using charcoal is easy and hassle free. I say this because there is a little handy device called a "charcoal chimney". This allows you to get all the coals by little more than striking a match and waiting 20 minutes until all the coals are red hot.

Secondly, charcoal will impart a flavour to whatever you cook that you will find difficult to replicate with gas.

There is something deeply satisfying about a charcoal burn, perhaps it is a caveman thing...

yup, agreed on all counts!

The charcoal chimney means no lighter fluid.. just a little newspaper underneath to get it going and it lights up nice and fast. Don't like the ash cleanup? they have a nice "sweeper" built in now that sends everything into a bucket below that you empty now and then.

I remember my dad used a charcoal grill for a while before my oldest brother gave him a gas grill that he won in a golf tournament. I remember cooking over a charcoal grill with my dad.. and throughout the years he would always miss that taste only a charcoal grill could do. Well years later when we bought our first home I originally had visions of a gas line put in to a gas grill. When our deck/porch project went over budget.. I still wanted to get a grill.. so I remembered what my dad said about a charcoal grill. I figured.. what the heck.. find something on craigslist.. so I found my 22" Weber charcoal. I did our first cook on it and we were hooked. The gas grill plan is only a distant memory. I have added another charcoal grill or two since and I also found an online forum of Weber Kettle grill enthusiasts.. not unlike this great forum here. Even if you do get a gas grill.. do consider trying out charcoal :)
james1787 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 April 2017, 11:12 PM   #34
Abdullah71601
Banned

Watch: ing da Bears
Quote:

You should try cooking over wood Steve. I prefer white oak, but hickory will do in a pinch. Both burn quite hot and impart a flavor that can't be had with the carbonization process used to make charcoal.
Abdullah71601 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 April 2017, 12:37 AM   #35
Cru Jones
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abdullah71601 View Post
All you need is a hot fire and a place to hold the meat near the fire.

Choose the size that will accommodate your needs 90% of the time. If you need more space for entertaining, cook in courses. When the grill is too big you burn a lot of gas heating unused space. Even on one burner you waste energy. Buy the everyday grill, not the once in a while grill.

Next find the grill with the most BTU in that size. Calculate BTU per square inch of cooking surface to get the grill that puts the most energy into the food.

I've never used a side burner and don't know anyone that does. I use side trays all the time. I used my rotisserie once in seven years. I never store anything in the cabinet (outside with the bugs and the weather). Infrared searing? Just use your oven, yeah?

Excellent post, thanks. I highlighted all of the parts that especially helped (which is basically the entire post! ).
Cru Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 April 2017, 12:40 AM   #36
Cru Jones

Quote:

Thanks for the idea. I'm still not sure that I want to wait even 20 minutes, but will give it some thought. As for the flavor point, I'm more of the school that the meat itself is the star. Maybe with time I'll become a more refined griller?
Cru Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 April 2017, 01:00 AM   #37
GB-man
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: addiction issues
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cru Jones View Post
Thanks for the idea. I'm still not sure that I want to wait even 20 minutes, but will give it some thought. As for the flavor point, I'm more of the school that the meat itself is the star. Maybe with time I'll become a more refined griller?
I can understand your perspective. Truthfully many can't taste the difference in a blind taste test between charcoal and gas cooked meats.

For me it's all about the ritual of starting the fire, tending it, the smell, the intense heat for an unrivaled sear, using hardwood for longer indirect cooks.

The process is therapeutic for me. Also, it makes the grill a man only cooking station in my house. I can go out, enjoy a beer and play fetch with the dog while the wife prepares the sides over the stove/oven.

Life is good
GB-man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 April 2017, 01:17 AM   #38
james1787
"TRF" Member

Watch: Submariner 14060
Quote:
You should try cooking over wood Steve. I prefer white oak, but hickory will do in a pinch. Both burn quite hot and impart a flavor that can't be had with the carbonization process used to make charcoal.
Interesting, Abdullah.. I have cooked over a campfire a couple of times.. that is the extent of my cooking over wood. What sort of cooking setup to you use?

Quote:
It's certainly worth considering / trying down the road. I don't know if there is a used grill market where you live, but around here often you can find people practically giving away used charcoal grills so to try it out it doesn't even have to break the bank.

Best of luck with your choices and I'm sure whichever you choose you'll be making plenty of delicious meals
james1787 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 April 2017, 01:30 AM   #39
mannyv11
"TRF" Member

Watch: DD,Sub,GMT,Daytona
Quote:
Cru I just wanted to add a quick note. I have both a lynx gas grill and a big green egg. Since I purchased the egg about a year ago I haven't used my gas grill once.

On another note you mention not wanting to wait 20 minutes for it to heat up, even with a gas grill if you're trying to cook something at high temperatures, lets say a steak for example, you need to give it ample time to heat up for a proper cook. What I am trying to say is either way you're waiting 15-20 minutes whether it is gas or charcoal.

The added bonus of charcoal is a flavor that is unmatched by a gas grill.
check out the big green egg =) super high temp cooks and super low temp cooks, I absolutely love mine.
mannyv11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 April 2017, 02:41 AM   #40
Abdullah71601
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by james1787 View Post
Interesting, Abdullah.. I have cooked over a campfire a couple of times.. that is the extent of my cooking over wood. What sort of cooking setup to you use?

I cut the wood into 3x3 inch chunks and burn in my Weber kettle grill. A couple charcoal briquettes will get it started. It takes longer to get going, but is worth the wait.
Old 20 April 2017, 12:56 AM   #41
encarter13
"TRF" Member

Quote:

To add to this, Weber also has a charcoal grill that has a small propane tank attachment that is used for lighting only. I have one I use here at work, but I have a Big Green Egg for home.
Old 24 April 2017, 08:18 AM   #42
mfer
"TRF" Member

Mmmmmmmm Weber grille

member#3242
mfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 April 2017, 09:39 AM   #43
Abdullah71601
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by encarter13 View Post
To add to this, Weber also has a charcoal grill that has a small propane tank attachment that is used for lighting only. I have one I use here at work, but I have a Big Green Egg for home.
You have a grill at work?

Are you guys hiring?
Old 24 April 2017, 12:52 PM   #44
swils8610

Had steaks on the Weber tonight! Can't beat a Weber!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
swils8610 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 April 2017, 11:37 PM   #45
encarter13
"TRF" Member

Quote:
You have a grill at work?

Are you guys hiring?
HAHA! Lots of manual labor here. I do not think you would want a job. However, every few weeks we make ribs, burgers, hotdogs, boston butt, etc for the guys. They enjoy it and prefer it over going out to eat. It is also cheaper for me, so it is a win-win!
Old 25 April 2017, 02:00 AM   #46
Boothroyd

Watch: Wilsdorf(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjclark32 View Post
On this note, the Weber brand covers are notoriously bad if you live in a non southern California climate
After reading a ton of reviews to find one that would hold up I landed on this:
https://www.amazon.com/Kingkong-7553.../dp/B01GFVKKFM

I've only had it since August/September, but so far so good
Thanks for the tip. Pulled out the grill last night and realized what a tatty state my Weber grill cover was in after 7 years sitting outside in Minnesota. Ordered a kingkong grill cover. The Weber grill covers do seem to deteriorate quickly--I went far too long with the one I had.
Old 8 June 2017, 04:51 AM   #47
antbkny
"TRF" Member

Watch: Dblue
for those that have a new genesis II with the open cart design:
since the grease tray is out in the open now, any issues with the wind? pets?
antbkny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 June 2017, 05:31 AM   #48
wrist_watcher
Banned

Watch: GMTII
Quote:

Charcoal is the best. Chimney starter and 2 starter cubes and 15 minutes all ready to go. I gave up cooking on propane years ago. I agree with your assessment.
wrist_watcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 June 2017, 07:31 AM   #49
c63piloti
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex & Panerai
Kamado Joe.
c63piloti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 June 2017, 07:44 AM   #50
gnuyork
"TRF" Member

I have a Weber Genesis (Silver) that is 14 years old now. Just sayin'

Sometimes I think about replacing it. (I work in the industry) and there are so many nice choices now, but part of me wants to get 10 more years out of this one, and I really think I can. I may add a Smokey Mountain this year to compliment it for weekend smoking for our new deck.
gnuyork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 June 2017, 09:24 AM   #51
cop414
TRF Moderator & 2024 DATE-JUST41 Patron

Watch: 14060M
Quote:
Originally Posted by antbkny View Post
for those that have a new genesis II with the open cart design:
since the grease tray is out in the open now, any issues with the wind? pets?
Not sure Anthony, but that is why I prefer my "bottom enclosed" Genesis. The grease tray is enclosed and I keep my extra grease pans down there.

Rolex Submariner 14060M
Omega Seamaster 2254.50
DOXA Professional 1200T

Card carrying member of TRF's Global Association of Retro-Grouch-Curmudgeons
TRF's "After Dark" Bar & NightClub Patron
P Club Member #17
2 FA ENABLED
cop414 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 June 2017, 11:26 AM   #52
Valenciawatchrepair
Banned

Lump Hardwood or nothing. The flavor!!!!!!!!
Valenciawatchrepair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 June 2017, 05:21 AM   #53
antbkny
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cop414 View Post
Not sure Anthony, but that is why I prefer my "bottom enclosed" Genesis. The grease tray is enclosed and I keep my extra grease pans down there.
yes, i agree. better to be safe than sorry. just ordered this bad boy for the back yard
http://www.homedepot.com/p/Weber-Gen...4001/300170109
Old 9 June 2017, 05:53 AM   #54
cop414

Ohhhh, nice! Congratulations, get a good cover for it, you'll be using that thing for years!

Rolex Submariner 14060M
Omega Seamaster 2254.50
DOXA Professional 1200T

P Club Member #17
2 FA ENABLED
Old 9 June 2017, 08:29 AM   #55
ejvette

Watch: me break clays..
Quote:
Happy owner of a Genesis special edition here. (I believe the special edition was an upgrade to the grates from cast iron to stainless steel.)
Very satisfied with this model but I believe that most of the new Genesis series comes with an open lower section, sans sides and matching doors. Personal preference there, I like having the bottom enclosed but many prefer the open style. Load the Weber app, lots of information there.
I also have the Genesis I think its a great value and the best thing about Weber is that parts are readily available

"The only difference between crazy and eccentric is the size of ones bank account" Anonymous

* Card carrying member of TRF's Global Association of Retro-Grouch-Curmudgeons *
ejvette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 June 2017, 11:23 AM   #56
nichols
"TRF" Member

I have a Weber Genesis that's now 9 years old, and it looks and cooks just as good as the year I bought it. I do clean the grates and the interior of the grill every spring, and always keep it covered.

There are other comparable brands, but the customer service for Weber really can't be beat. You call them, they're people who work for Weber in the US, and the warranties on their grill parts are great. Often times, if it's something that really shouldn't break with normal use and yours does because of a fluke, they'll just ship it to you. Or, if you're ordering one part, they'll include a couple of others for you if it makes good basic sense to do that.

I own a 15 year old Weber kettle grill, the Genesis, a Smokey Mountain, and a Q2200. All of them get regular during the year, although the kettle not nearly as often after getting the Smokey Mountain... but I can't bring myself to let it go. Especially since my boys will need to learn how to grill over charcoal in a couple of years. :)
nichols is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 June 2017, 04:56 AM   #57
antbkny
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Ohhhh, nice! Congratulations, get a good cover for it, you'll be using that thing for years!
thanks, picked up a weber cover for it, lets see how long it lasts. here she is after putting her together.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg grill.jpg (111.4 KB, 107 views)
Old 20 June 2017, 11:40 AM   #58
cop414

Nice! Our Weber cover is going on 3 years old and still looks good. Did you put a light on the handle? Always wondered how well they worked.

Rolex Submariner 14060M
Omega Seamaster 2254.50
DOXA Professional 1200T

P Club Member #17
2 FA ENABLED
Old 20 June 2017, 11:42 AM   #59
Canefan1
Banned

Original kettle.
Canefan1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 June 2017, 07:54 AM   #60
antbkny
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Nice! Our Weber cover is going on 3 years old and still looks good. Did you put a light on the handle? Always wondered how well they worked.
thanks. And that's good to hear about the cover. The light came with the grill, it's led and is really bright. More than enough for this size grill. They also sell them separately, I saw them at Home Depot for 29 bucks.