The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > General Topics > Open Discussion Forum

Old 24 May 2006, 05:17 AM   #1
JJ Irani
Fondly Remembered

Watch: ALL SOLD!!
Poseidon

Hi guys,

This film is due for release all over NZ on the 1st of June. I had watched the original one "The Poseidon Adventure" (1974) with Gene Hackmann....which I thought was a terrific and a well made film at that time.

Reviews and comments on the new one appreciated.

Thanks - JJ

I firmly believe that my time on planet earth is NOT yet up!! I shall fight this to the very end.......and WIN!!
JJ Irani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 May 2006, 07:40 AM   #2
Gentleman8
"TRF" Member

Icon9

I saw the movie as a kid -- it was my first time going to the cinema without my parents.. I also have a DVD of the original movie. IMHO it will be hard to beat. Who is playing in the remake?
Gentleman8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 May 2006, 02:31 PM   #3
Subfiend
"TRF" Member

Watch: Isn't it obvious?
Interesting (?) fact: Joel Hishhorn, the composer who won the Academy Award for the theme song to the original "Poseiden Adventure," was married to Jennifer Carter, the first woman to dive to the Titanic.

When "Blame Canada" from the Southpark movie was nominated for the same Academy Award, Joel voted for it. Unfortunately, he passed away last year.

So what does this mean? Absolutely nothing. JJ, I don't think I will see this remake. I am kind of burned out on movies about disasters at sea.
Old 24 May 2006, 05:08 PM   #4
JJ Irani
Fondly Remembered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gentleman8
I saw the movie as a kid -- it was my first time going to the cinema without my parents.. I also have a DVD of the original movie. IMHO it will be hard to beat. Who is playing in the remake?
Steven,

The new version stars Kurt Russel. I had seen the original version "The Poseidon Adventure" starring Gene Hackman and Shelly Winters along with a host of other good stars....way back in 1974. That was very good at the time. I think the remake will be also very good....with the technology Hollywood has today at their disposal.

JJ

I firmly believe that my time on planet earth is NOT yet up!! I shall fight this to the very end.......and WIN!!
Old 24 May 2006, 06:03 PM   #5
padi56
"TRF" Life Patron

Watch: ing you.
JJ it is important to point out that this new film is only based on The Poseidon Adventure it is not a remake. When the passenger ship (named Poseidon) is hit by a large wave on New Years Eve and capsizes, a handful of people struggle to escape. Other than that, do not expect any similarities -- not one character, not one line of dialogue, not one scene...
The cast (with the exception of Dreyfuss) are all Hollywood blink and beautiful no fatties or ugly buggers like me here. Of course, some of the physical obstacles in this film, would require the endurance of a champion athlete and the bravado of a bloody superman action hero! This is definitely not the motley group of survivors found in the original.

The capsizing sequence was stunning, but so many areas of the ship were highlighted in such a short time that I never really felt I was part of the action. There were no screaming passengers clinging/falling from overturned tables. No blood or men falling backward onto an illuminated skylight (the famous cinematic scene). And not even a bloody Christmas tree!?! The Christmas tree played a pivotal role in the original film ... from passengers falling into it during the capsizing ... to it unexpectedly crashing down ... to the survivors climbing it (and Mrs. Rosen getting stuck in the spokes) ... to it falling back into the flooding Dining Room when panic ensues! Why leave it out entirely when there are so many cinematic possibilities? Instead the characters in the new film "sneak out" of the Ballroom using some stacked chairs. There is absolutely no plea for others to join them even though they know that anyone left behind may die. I suppose it says something about today's society, I'm getting out of here -- and sod everyone else!. But these guys are supposed to be the heroes in the film?

I must admit that I missed John William's music from the original. I wonder why he wasn't hired to update his existing score -- dramatic in all the right places and the deep "bell" sound accompanying the music is indeed haunting. And wouldn't it be fun for all us old-timers if they had used "The Morning After" (Academy Award-winning song from the original) and updated it in the new film?

I suppose that this new film is fine if you are not expecting much. I was obviously hoping that Petersen would turn the original film into another blockbuster. But this POSEIDON is what it is, a mindless summer action movie with dazzling special effects. Should appeal to teenagers. Though it is doubtful that this new film will inspire many mature folks or ever become a cult classic. And decades from now, will it have web pages, fan clubs and conventions devoted to it?
I would seriously doubt again I have forgotten this movie
already.

I suppose that the filmmakers wanted this to be like the remake of King Kong, an eye-popping, special effects reinvention of a well-worn story. But, instead, Poseidon ends up being like the woefully unnecessary remake of the first PSYCHO. There was no need, demand or purpose for his film to exist. And the filmmakers reveal they have no apparent clue as to why the original is loved in the first place. That's what happens when you set sail without a compass, you just get lost at sea.Like many others today, a very unmemorable typical Americanised, keep churning them out poor money grabbing movies,rideing on the back of the previus films just 4/10 would have been 3/10 except for special effects.

ICom Pro3

All posts are my own opinion and my opinion only.

"The clock of life is wound but once, and no man has the power to tell just when the hands will stop. Now is the only time you actually own the time, Place no faith in time, for the clock may soon be still for ever."
Good Judgement comes from experience,experience comes from Bad Judgement,.Buy quality, cry once; buy cheap, cry again and again.

www.mc0yad.club

Second in command CEO and left handed watch winder
padi56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 May 2006, 10:35 PM   #6
Uncle-AJ
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytona 116520
I think it's only right that the cast go down with the ship.

Member #10
Uncle-AJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 May 2006, 03:39 AM   #7
JJ Irani
Fondly Remembered

Excellent review, Padi...many thanks!! You should have been a film critic...that was very well written, pal!!

Old 25 May 2006, 04:08 AM   #8
Prince
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytona/Sub/GMT/DJ
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle-AJ
ROFLMAO
Old 25 May 2006, 04:09 AM   #9
JJ Irani
Fondly Remembered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle-AJ

Old 25 May 2006, 12:54 PM   #10
Alan From New York

Watch: And Learn
I have fond memories of "The Poseidon Adventure" because it was playing at the drive-in I took my date to.

So... what happened after Leslie Nielsen said, "Oh my God?"
Alan From New York is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 May 2006, 05:39 PM   #11
padi56
"TRF" Life Patron

Watch: ing you.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan From New York
I have fond memories of "The Poseidon Adventure" because it was playing at the drive-in I took my date to.

So... what happened after Leslie Nielsen said, "Oh my God?"
You young devil you.

The true Poseidon Adventure aficionado,, there can be no substitute for Leslie "Oh, my God" Nielsen as the ship's original skipper, Capt. Harrison.True,that Nielsen lasted all of 20 minutes before he was carried out to sea on the crest of a giant wave, but that moment on the bridge, when he's watching the wave surge toward the ship through his binoculars, is, dare I say, epic in cinema history.Weller may make a good ship's captain, but he's has no Leslie Nielsen, buttocks thats for sure.

ICom Pro3

All posts are my own opinion and my opinion only.

"The clock of life is wound but once, and no man has the power to tell just when the hands will stop. Now is the only time you actually own the time, Place no faith in time, for the clock may soon be still for ever."
Good Judgement comes from experience,experience comes from Bad Judgement,.Buy quality, cry once; buy cheap, cry again and again.

www.mc0yad.club

Second in command CEO and left handed watch winder
padi56 is offline   Reply With Quote