The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Vintage Rolex Discussion

Old 7 March 2010, 01:04 PM   #1
deschen
"TRF" Member

Icon5 Any Oyster Perpetual Non Date Experts? Have Questions!

Hey guys,

So I'm looking for my first pre-owned Rolex. I've already decided on the dial and hands that I want but I'm having difficulty finding information regarding the cases and which models came with the dial that I'm looking for.

I've found lots of DJ's as well as Ladies/Mid and Airking's but only a small handful of Men's OP No Dates.

So far the only case that I've found to contain it is a #1002

OK on to the pictures,

Dial - Silver/Brushed metallic; applied consistent shaped silver stick hour markers; silver bar-shaped hands.

So these 2 pic's are off eBay and it shows the style of dial that I'm looking for perfectly. Not sure about the colour but that looks close enough. According to seller L serial 88-93.

#1002 from Interwatches, c.1960's

I've seen 1003/1007/1018/6564's with slight varitations where the 3, 6 and 9 stick hour markers are ever so slightly different.

OK, so my questions are;

1) Is this dial only available on #1002's?

2) Is there a modern case which has this dial?

3) Any idea on the time-line when it was discontinued?

4) How much is the market price for a near mint quality one?

5) Is the correct name for this dial silver or is it brushed metal or something else? I'm not even sure if my pictures are the correct color I'm after and if it comes in different tones. I'm looking for one which has the most similar color to a SS case.

#1002 from '87. Not sure where this picture came from it was sent by a friend via e-mail.

Beautiful finish on the hour markers and hands. The hour markers are ever so slightly different but that would be exactly the kind of quality finishing I'm after.

If the search gets too frustrating I'll probably just end up with a similar perpetual date instead because those are so much easier to find but this dial is definitely top of my list.
deschen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 March 2010, 02:55 PM   #2
Tools
TRF Moderator & 2024 DATE-JUST41 Patron

Watch: GMT's
I'm not an OP expert..

The Oyster Perpetual is the sister to the Air king... they share everything except the dial, including the 34mm size. New OP releases as of last year can be had in the 36mm size which shares the case with the Explorer and DJ.

It is not a hugely popular watch and so you would not find as many as you might in other models on the used market... Used OP's can be found from 800 bucks to 1500 bucks, depending on condition and age (new ones within the past 10 years would be more).....

The dial is silver with stick indices and likely still available. Go to Oysterworld.com and look over the catalogue copy of available dials available..

You could also to to most Dealers and look through their catalogue for the part number on the dial...
Old 7 March 2010, 09:34 PM   #3
deschen
"TRF" Member

Thank you tools, will check out oysterworld now!

Edit: Hey Tools, could i confirm the website address is oysterworld.com ?

It looks like one of those domain parking websites...
Old 8 March 2010, 01:22 AM   #4
deschen
"TRF" Member

Found it, @ http://www.oysterworld.de